ImageImageImageImageImage

KNICKS/DEER PG THREAD

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,383

Re: KNICKS/DEER PG THREAD 

Post#621 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:44 pm

Somebody should remind THJr that with the Harden beard comes the great responsibility of passing
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,070

Post#622 » by GONYK » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:44 pm

JohnStarksTheDunk wrote:Perhaps things will look better once Fiz actually installs an offense?

Probably

But does he need a full offense to start providing Tom some discipline now?
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#623 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:48 pm

GONYK wrote:
JohnStarksTheDunk wrote:Perhaps things will look better once Fiz actually installs an offense?

Probably

But does he need a full offense to start providing Tom some discipline now?

No. Especially when he came in stressing discipline and accountability.
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#624 » by cuyankees » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:50 pm

Precisely, problem is that how much better does it get? Fiz comes from the Riley tree where defense is the focus and they let players figure it out on offense. The free wheeling you see is what the Heat did a lot of during LBJ days.

Have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that Fiz suddenly installs a scheme and ball distro becomes paramount and ISO chucking goes out of style. Want to know how to sustain a bad culture and kill any motivation on defense? Keep it up w ISO chucking nonsense, throw in the fact that the players doing the ISO chucking are bench players on a playoff team/G leaguers so foh w the "development" crap.

It's called doubletalk/hoodwinked and you could predict it a mile away before the games even started.
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager

Post#625 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:55 pm

cuyankees wrote:

Precisely, problem is that how much better does it get? Fiz comes from the Riley tree where defense is the focus and they let players figure it out on offense. The free wheeling you see is what the Heat did a lot of during LBJ days.

Have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that Fiz suddenly installs a scheme and ball distro becomes paramount and ISO chucking goes out of style. Want to know how to sustain a bad culture and kill any motivation on defense? Keep it up w ISO chucking nonsense, throw in the fact that the players doing the ISO chucking are bench players on a playoff team/G leaguers so foh w the "development" crap.

It's called doubletalk/hoodwinked and you could predict it a mile away before the games even started.

Non-coincidentally, defense with ISO chucking was also commonly associated with Mike Woodson, whom Fiz coached under for 4 years before he went to the Heat.
Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Post#626 » by Da ThRONe » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:56 pm

JohnStarksTheDunk wrote:The fact that many are arguing that Tim would be more efficient if he had better scorers in front of him (so he won't feel like he has to shoot so much) just supports the idea that he's best suited as a 6th man.

I don't think it's crazy to think that a different role has huge effects on efficiency. In fact we see it all the time in the NBA. Tim having the ultimate green light clearly doesn't suit him, but given the teams lack of scoring who else should be taking shots? And this is in no way excusing his shots selection because it is maybe one of the worse I've seen in awhile. But you put KP on the floor and added a Jimmy Butler next year and now any PG has option that are more effective. Now coach can keep him on a shorter leash without the fear of being totally inept on offense. Right now the biggest concern with THJr is has effort on defense, those heat check will die down the min Kristap is back in the lineup and will go away almost all together if Knox can become a go to scorer or the Knicks can sign one of the 3 big FA wings this offseason.
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#627 » by cuyankees » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:01 pm

JohnStarksTheDunk wrote:
cuyankees wrote:

Non-coincidentally, defense with ISO chucking was also commonly associated with Mike Woodson, whom Fiz coached under for 4 years before he went to the Heat.

Sweet! Got ourselves another Woodson, but with a hot wife, lighter skin and stylish rims! This ends really well..
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,323

Post#628 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:16 pm

cuyankees wrote:
JohnStarksTheDunk wrote:
cuyankees wrote:Precisely, problem is that how much better does it get? Fiz comes from the Riley tree where defense is the focus and they let players figure it out on offense. The free wheeling you see is what the Heat did a lot of during LBJ days.

Sweet! Got ourselves another Woodson, but with a hot wife, lighter skin and stylish rims! This ends really well..

ImageImageImage
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager

Post#629 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:20 pm

Da ThRONe wrote:
JohnStarksTheDunk wrote:The fact that many are arguing that Tim would be more efficient if he had better scorers in front of him (so he won't feel like he has to shoot so much) just supports the idea that he's best suited as a 6th man.

I don't think it's crazy to think that a different role has huge effects on efficiency. In fact we see it all the time in the NBA. Tim having the ultimate green light clearly doesn't suit him, but given the teams lack of scoring who else should be taking shots? And this is in no way excusing his shots selection because it is maybe one of the worse I've seen in awhile. But you put KP on the floor and added a Jimmy Butler next year and now any PG has option that are more effective. Now coach can keep him on a shorter leash without the fear of being totally inept on offense. Right now the biggest concern with THJr is has effort on defense, those heat check will die down the min Kristap is back in the lineup and will go away almost all together if Knox can become a go to scorer or the Knicks can sign one of the 3 big FA wings this offseason.

It's not necessarily about who is taking the shots; it's about players taking better shots.

Also, Tim was chucking last year when we still had KP. How soon we forget all those 4-15 performances he had early last season.
Garbagelo
Veteran
And1: 3,190

Post#630 » by Garbagelo » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:45 pm

JohnStarksTheDunk wrote:
It's not necessarily about who is taking the shots; it's about players taking better shots.

Facts, this always gets me every time. People seem to think just because we are missing KP, it makes it ok to take bad shots early in the shot clock like Timmy does.

It is not ok, in fact it is even worst doing it now because we no longer have KP's defense to make up for bad efficiency on offense.
Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Post#631 » by Da ThRONe » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:54 pm

JohnStarksTheDunk wrote:
Da ThRONe wrote:

Also, Tim was chucking last year when we still had KP. How soon we forget all those 4-15 performances he had early last season.

I think you are saying the samething I'm saying. I agree the quality of shots are awful and honestly I don't know how Fizdale allows them. The only thing is I believe if/when Tim's the 3rd or 4th option you'll see him take better shots. I think giving him the ultimate green light is the main cause of the awful shots.

Return to New York Knicks