ImageImageImageImageImage

Proposed Lineup Change

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,911

Re: Proposed Lineup Change 

Post#81 » by cgf » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:01 pm

cgmw wrote:Whatever happens, keep showcasing Timmy. I could see a Playoff team giving up smaller contracts and/or assets at the deadline.

Something like Knight + HOU 2021 FRP for Timmy, if he keeps shooting above league average from 3 & they move Gordon in a different (Butler) trade; seem imminently plausible.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#82 » by cuyankees » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:15 pm

What’s with this “Frank looks uncomfortable playing PG” stuff? He’s a fundamentally sound EU PG, where you keep the ball moving bc the ball moves faster with a pass than a dribble. That’s sound PG play, but most armchair analysts have become accustomed to ball dominant PGs that score. Frank will never be that, he’ll be a guy who gets everyone involved and do the PnR flawlessly.
DudeJustDidThis
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#83 » by DudeJustDidThis » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:34 pm

cuyankees wrote:What’s with this “Frank looks uncomfortable playing PG” stuff? He’s a fundamentally sound EU PG, where you keep the ball moving bc the ball moves faster with a pass than a dribble. That’s sound PG play, but most armchair analysts have become accustomed to ball dominant PGs that score. Frank will never be that, he’ll be a guy who gets everyone involved and do the PnR flawlessly.

:clap: Thank you.

When guys like Trier and Hezonja are sharing the court together, someone like Frank absolutely has to be there to manage ball distribution, especially for a guy like Hezonja who deserves to get decent looks.
Handledatruth
Head Coach
And1: 1,730

Post#84 » by Handledatruth » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:04 am

cuyankees wrote:What’s with this “Frank looks uncomfortable playing PG” stuff? He’s a fundamentally sound EU PG, where you keep the ball moving bc the ball moves faster with a pass than a dribble. That’s sound PG play, but most armchair analysts have become accustomed to ball dominant PGs that score. Frank will never be that, he’ll be a guy who gets everyone involved and do the PnR flawlessly.

You gotta admit that him talking the ball past half court and then stopping his dribble to pass to a Center beyond the 3 point line is a little concerning for a point guard. I understand ball movement, but Kanter is not going to do anything great with the basketball besides pass to another guard that cuts to the 3 point line. This equals about 5 - 10 seconds of wasted ball movement with no progress toward the basket. The other concern is when Frank catches the ball off the rebound he doesn't consistently start a transition possession. Basically he acts like someone uncomfortable with dribbling the ball and sometimes you need your point guard to control the flow WHILE dribbling. Especially when he is one of the best passers on the team.

P.S. I love Frank as a player, but he is real tentative when he doesn't have to be. I blame Jeff for making him shell shocked, but he needs to snap out of it.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,051

Post#85 » by GONYK » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:08 am

Handledatruth wrote:

You gotta admit that him talking the ball past half court and then stopping his dribble to pass to a Center beyond the 3 point line is a little concerning for a point guard. I understand ball movement, but Kanter is not going to do anything great with the basketball besides pass to another guard that cuts to the 3 point line. This equals about 5 - 10 seconds of wasted ball movement with no progress toward the basket. The other concern is when Frank catches the ball off the rebound he doesn't consistently start a transition possession. Basically he acts like someone uncomfortable with dribbling the ball and sometimes you need your point guard to control the flow WHILE dribbling. Especially when he is one of the best passers on the team.

What if the set starts with the C getting the ball in the pinch post? There are a bunch of actions that we start from there. How are you sure that's not Frank running the offense?

If the criticism is that Frank should be calling more PnR's that's one thing, but I'm not sure every time Frank passes the ball when crossing halfcourt is him being timid.
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,379

Post#86 » by Ray Williams » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:14 am

thebuzzardman wrote:For all my THJr bashing, he's the guy capable of go to scoring. At least until Trier matures.

LFT and Frank were in the starting lineup to provide some semblance of defense, as THJr, Burke and Kanter aren't providing much.
Plus, neither demand the ball.

That means that Fiz knows he set up the offense to run around those 3 players.

It'll be interesting to see what he makes the tweak for. More shooting? More defense (not likely)? More rebounding?

For once I’d like to see us set up the defense first and let the offense work itself out. Enough of having to cover for someone’s defensive deficiencies, throw 5 guys out that that all play defense, of st least not suck at it.
Handledatruth
Head Coach

Post#87 » by Handledatruth » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:34 am

GONYK wrote:
Handledatruth wrote:

What if the set starts with the C getting the ball in the pinch post? There are a bunch of actions that we start from there. How are you sure that's not Frank running the offense?

If the criticism is that Frank should be calling more PnR's that's one thing, but I'm not sure every time Frank passes the ball when crossing halfcourt is him being timid.

If that is the offense why don't other ball handlers do it? Mario gets the ball at the top and he's looking to attack the paint, THJ is looking to shoot or attack the paint, Burke is looking to shoot or attack the paint, Trier for sure, even Dotson came in either shooting or attacking the paint. Enter Frank who gives up the ball to the first person he sees when he crosses half court and then proceeds to cut to the weak side or hang on corner three spot and not be seen for the rest of the possession. He's the only one following the sets? I'm glad he likes to space the floor, but I'd rather him pass to floor spacers. He doesn't have to dominate the ball, but he's such a good passer and he should at least be getting it more than once every possession. I don't think Fiz is stopping him from doing that.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,263

Post#88 » by DOT » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:43 am

People always say that only Frank passes the ball into a set coming across halfcourt, and it's great because they get to just say it and not back it up because there's no real stat to show how many times people do it

Everybody on the team does it. Granted, Frank does it more often and I'd like to see him not do it as much, but y'all make it sound like nobody else passes into a set ever
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
cuyankees
Veteran

Post#89 » by cuyankees » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:02 am

Handledatruth wrote:

P.S. I love Frank as a player, but he is real tentative when he doesn't have to be. I blame Jeff for making him shell shocked, but he needs to snap out of it.

Yes, it’s very concerning bc that means Fiz has installed an offensive “scheme”, Treyverson/THJ don’t run it & just ISO ball and Fiz let’s them do whatever the fck they want wout benching him.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,647

Post#90 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:05 am

GONYK wrote:
Handledatruth wrote:

I wondered that myself until I saw other NBA teams doing the same. It's just a way to start certain plays and create more ball movement.
Free Palestine
cuyankees
Veteran

Post#91 » by cuyankees » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:20 am

Handledatruth wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Handledatruth wrote:

If that is the offense why don't other ball handlers do it? Mario gets the ball at the top and he's looking to attack the paint, THJ is looking to shoot or attack the paint, Burke is looking to shoot or attack the paint, Trier for sure, even Dotson came in either shooting or attacking the paint. Enter Frank who gives up the ball to the first person he sees when he crosses half court and then proceeds to cut to the weak side or hang on corner three spot and not be seen for the rest of the possession. He's the only one following the sets? I'm glad he likes to space the floor, but I'd rather him pass to floor spacers. He doesn't have to dominate the ball, but he's such a good passer and he should at least be getting it more than once every possession. I don't think Fiz is stopping him from doing that.

You’re confusing scorers with Frank and he naturally is not that. Hence my earlier pt about ball dominant PGs, they would attack just like you listed Mario, THJ, Burke, Trier, Dotson, etc do. You see most PGs do it and Frank doesn’t so it must be wrong when in actuality, Frank is fundmanetally sound and they don’t “teach” that on the AAU circuit. Guarantee you there are clips on youtube w JKidd, Magic, and other taller PGs doing the same thing to initiate the offense. Why? They give it up to start the basic “motion” offense and it means they eventually get it back in movement, that scheme relies on someone not being a ballstopper like the aforementioed list that you’re applauding for attacking.
Handledatruth
Head Coach

Post#92 » by Handledatruth » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:32 am

K-DOT wrote:People always say that only Frank passes the ball into a set coming across halfcourt, and it's great because they get to just say it and not back it up because there's no real stat to show how many times people do it

Everybody on the team does it. Granted, Frank does it more often and I'd like to see him not do it as much, but y'all make it sound like nobody else passes into a set ever

You really don't see Frank shying away from dribbling the ball? Who needs a stat when you can watch him do it in a game? Let's be honest here. Having Middleton guard Frank last night was like giving the man a break. Frank wasn't going to attack him. We pretty much let Middleton get away with taking his normal nights off on defense. Why put effort in defending someone that rarely has the ball?

I really like Frank as a player and I am not trying to sound like a hater, but please don't excuse his reluctance to attack. We got a 19/20 year old guard that is only comfortable with being Pablo Prigioni on offense. Fiz is not putting the shackles on him. He needs to be more aggressive plain and simple. And that does not only mean shoot more. It means attacking defenders off the dribble to collapse the defense, score, or draw fouls. That is what a point guard does. Even unselfish ones.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by DOT » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:37 am

Handledatruth wrote:
K-DOT wrote:People always say that only Frank passes the ball into a set coming across halfcourt, and it's great because they get to just say it and not back it up because there's no real stat to show how many times people do it

You really don't see Frank shying away from dribbling the ball? Who needs a stat when you can watch him do it in a game? Let's be honest here. Having Middleton guard Frank last night was like giving the man a break. Frank wasn't going to attack him. We pretty much let Middleton get away with taking his normal nights off on defense. Why put effort in defending someone that rarely has the ball?

I really like Frank as a player and I am not trying to sound like a hater, but please don't excuse his reluctance to attack. We got a 19/20 year old guard that is only comfortable with being Pablo Prigioni on offense. Fiz is not putting the shackles on him. He needs to be more aggressive plain and simple. And that does not only mean shoot more. It means attacking defenders off the dribble to collapse the defense, score, or draw fouls. That is what a point guard does. Even unselfish ones.
Because that's not what I see when I watch the games, and it's why I use stats in arguments cause people see things differently, so this argument is essentially pointless

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
KNIXFAN_83
Analyst
And1: 1,320

Post#94 » by KNIXFAN_83 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:46 am

As long as Ntilikina is not starting at pg it doesn’t matter.
Handledatruth
Head Coach

Post#95 » by Handledatruth » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:48 am

cuyankees wrote:
Handledatruth wrote:
GONYK wrote:

You’re confusing scorers with Frank and he naturally is not that. Hence my earlier pt about ball dominant PGs, they would attack just like you listed Mario, THJ, Burke, Trier, Dotson, etc do. You see most PGs do it and Frank doesn’t so it must be wrong when in actuality, Frank is fundmanetally sound and they don’t “teach” that on the AAU circuit. Guarantee you there are clips on youtube w JKidd, Magic, and other taller PGs doing the same thing to initiate the offense. Why? They give it up to start the basic “motion” offense and it means they eventually get it back in movement, that scheme relies on someone not being a ballstopper like the aforementioed list that you’re applauding for attacking.

You think when I say attack I mean "go score". That is not what I am talking about. All a good point guard has to do to attack is dribble the ball somewhere near the key which causes the defense to collapse on the guard. It can be through a pick and roll or dribble hand off from a Center, or pump fake from the three point line. Whatever...just attack and force someone to slide their feet. He's such a crafty passer when he does attack. I'd rather see him make good passes (notice i said passes and not assists) than see Burke do the same thing for a step back mid-range shot.

I really do believe the choice is up to him. Which was my point about the other players. Fiz runs a flexible offense that looks pretty similar to Spols (if not the same?). Anyone can initiate.
Handledatruth
Head Coach

Post#96 » by Handledatruth » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:50 am

K-DOT wrote:
Handledatruth wrote:

Because that's not what I see when I watch the games, and it's why I use stats in arguments cause people see things differently, so this argument is essentially pointless

I might have to set a counter for every time he brings the ball up the court without getting past the 3 point line with the ball. I don't think the results would be shocking. :lol:
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by DOT » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:53 am

Handledatruth wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
Handledatruth wrote:

I might have to set a counter for every time he brings the ball up the court without getting past the 3 point line with the ball. I don't think the results would be shocking.
Do it, and get a counter for all the times the other guards do it

I think it'll be closer than you think

BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

seren
RealGM
And1: 4,207

Post#98 » by seren » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:02 am

Depending on the injury situation, with Baker and the other guy I can recall no more out, one of the PGs may have to move the bench. At least until Baker is back from injury.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,911

Post#99 » by cgf » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:07 am

I'd be curious to see what happened if we split Kanter & THJ up as well as splitting up Tommy & Trey

Frank | Trey
Tommy | Zo
Dotson | Lee
Wario | Lance
Vonleh | Enes

With Mitch playing next to Enes if he's healthy, and Lee going back to street clothes.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
cuyankees
Veteran

Post#100 » by cuyankees » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:39 am

Handledatruth wrote:
cuyankees wrote:
Handledatruth wrote:

You think when I say attack I mean "go score". That is not what I am talking about. All a good point guard has to do to attack is dribble the ball somewhere near the key which causes the defense to collapse on the guard. It can be through a pick and roll or dribble hand off from a Center, or pump fake from the three point line. Whatever...just attack and force someone to slide their feet. He's such a crafty passer when he does attack. I'd rather see him make good passes (notice i said passes and not assists) than see Burke do the same thing for a step back mid-range shot.

I really do believe the choice is up to him. Which was my point about the other players. Fiz runs a flexible offense that looks pretty similar to Spols (if not the same?). Anyone can initiate.

Fiz’s offensive “scheme” seems flexible bc there isn’t 1 and people are doing whatever they want, you can see it with the lack of spacing on the court, players bunched up hanging around ball watching and that shouldn’t happen with any type of scheme. If there is scheme, then so help us god bc then everyone can debate Frank as PG, but there are bigger issues @ hand.

Ultimately, Fiz is a double talker bc he preaches 1 thing and allows the other. It’s early but all this Fiz optimism is very misplaced bc this team is very similar to prev years with a diff coach.

Return to New York Knicks