ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: I thought Frank and DSJ was cool tho?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Besart19
RealGM
And1: 3,979

Re: PG: I thought Frank and DSJ was cool tho? 

Post#661 » by Besart19 » Sun Nov 4, 2018 9:05 am

It will be a major challenge for the coaching staff to figure it out what lineup should they play.

We have only one spot we know for sure. Frank at PG... and even this is not guaranteed...

Trier, Hardaway, Dotson, Romeo (if drafted), Irving, Middleton, or Klay (if signed via FA) at SG

Knox, Dotson, Middleton, Leonard, Durant at SF

Knox, Vonleh, Durant, Robinson or Porzingis at PF

Cousins (if we trade KP for another young talent), Porzingis, Robinson or Vonleh at C
Strength and Honour!
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#662 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Nov 4, 2018 11:07 am

drekwins wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:
HarthorneWin
go wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:We might have a legit 5 starters with two way talent. I wouldn't put Knox down just yet.

Oh definitely, Knox is young too. But he doesn't seem to be the athletic freaks that are Trier and Mitch.

He's not like them but he does have length and I do think he can be a good defender. His scoring I'm concerned with, he just need reps honestly.

Scared? The dude has barely played. IMO, FT% is best indicator of what a young guy can become shooting-wise. As a Freshman at Kentucky, he shot 77% (which is very good for that age and size). Without a doubt, he hit a little bit of a cold streak entering the season. Before his breakout, Klay was 5-36 from 3pt range on the season. Now, consider that Knox is probably nervous as hell, anxious to make his mark, playing too fast, etc. Once he settles in and starts making a couple jumpers, things will slow down. He's just pressing.

I don't think either of us said he was scared.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,143

Post#663 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Nov 4, 2018 12:19 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:Since we won, I'll start a new game thread for Sunday's game late tonight or early tomorrow. Just got home and I'm going to have a cocktail and put my feet up

I'm 2/3rd's through cocktail hour so strap on a chill dildo

thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#664 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Nov 4, 2018 12:20 pm

Besart19 wrote:It will be a major challenge for the coaching staff to figure it out what lineup should they play.

We have only one spot we know for sure. Frank at PG... and even this is not guaranteed...

Trier, Hardaway, Dotson, Romeo (if drafted), Irving, Middleton, or Klay (if signed via FA) at SG

Cousins (if we trade KP for another young talent), Porzingis, Robinson or Vonleh at C

90% Full Besart
(didn't have the usual lineup formatting)
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,918

Post#665 » by stuporman » Sun Nov 4, 2018 12:49 pm

god shammgod wrote:funny how things change. couple weeks ago i was crazy for saying mitch should start over kanter. people were claiming he was our best player. and now when you really look at it, he should be the odd man out. if kp was healthy he would get no minutes. they should explain it to him like i said and waive him. maybe burke too. eventually these guys are gonna get annoyed playing 15 minutes a game. they're trying to get paid.

When I suggested over the summer to just let Mitch play 25-30mpg and learn while playing I was chided by multiple mods. :lol:
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#666 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Nov 4, 2018 12:55 pm

stuporman wrote:
god shammgod wrote:funny how things change. couple weeks ago i was crazy for saying mitch should start over kanter. people were claiming he was our best player. and now when you really look at it, he should be the odd man out. if kp was healthy he would get no minutes. they should explain it to him like i said and waive him. maybe burke too. eventually these guys are gonna get annoyed playing 15 minutes a game. they're trying to get paid.

When I suggested over the summer to just let Mitch play 25-30mpg and learn while playing I was chided by multiple mods. :lol:

In fairness, I doubt Mitch gets to 30 minutes based on the usual grind for rookies over on 82 game season. Then add in he's a big.

I bet he averages more like 20-22, especially since the Knicks try to play with pace. Ok, could get to that 25 mpg mark.

Which is fine. That's why Kanter is here. To play backup until he's gone.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#667 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Nov 4, 2018 12:58 pm

stuporman wrote:

I recall those convos quite vividly. I know I for one suggested he might spend some time in the g-league, and that sentiment was actually expressed through the team as well, but all of that was dependent from the summer to seasons start, just like the team stated.

In time, Mitch has shown the team especially, that he can play in this league and has earned a healthy amount of minutes.

Sounds good to me.

stuporman
RealGM

Post#668 » by stuporman » Sun Nov 4, 2018 1:07 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
stuporman wrote:

In fairness, I doubt Mitch gets to 30 minutes based on the usual grind for rookies over on 82 game season. Then add in he's a big.

I bet he averages more like 20-22, especially since the Knicks try to play with pace. Ok, could get to that 25 mpg mark.

Which is fine. That's why Kanter is here. To play backup until he's gone.

Quite often the rookie wall is more of a psychological one and less about a physical one. With Mitch his obstacle to playing more minutes seemed to be centered around him fouling too much not from the grind of playing the games.

Plus he isn't expected to generate his own offense or anything, he's an energy guy so that is something he can continue to get as long as he can stay on the floor. Of course after 50 games or so of NBA play with someone who didn't play at all last year it may wear on his body so time will tell.
Image?
stuporman
RealGM

Post#669 » by stuporman » Sun Nov 4, 2018 1:25 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
stuporman wrote:

I recall those convos quite vividly. I know I for one suggested he might spend some time in the g-league, and that sentiment was actually expressed through the team as well, but all of that was dependent from the summer to seasons start, just like the team stated.

In time, Mitch has shown the team especially, that he can play in this league and has earned a healthy amount of minutes.

Sounds good to me.

I was looking at from a gaining experience by playing through mistakes perspective, his game is complementary and he isn't expected to generate on his own so appeared to translate better than even Knox's game might.

I wasn't really concerned if he could sustain it over 80 games, even if his body needed more rest or less minutes then that would take care of itself, I just wanted to get his experience against NBA players and g-league would be an option if he couldn't stay on the floor because of fouls or understanding the game.

I could see his great instincts and awareness right from the beginning even more so than Knox had shown. For an energy guy that suggested he could be an impact player sooner than most rookies because it doesn't require as much developed and refined skill.
Image?
stuporman
RealGM

Post#670 » by stuporman » Sun Nov 4, 2018 1:28 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:

I see you brought your own 'chilldo'....... :lol:
Image?
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#671 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Nov 4, 2018 1:32 pm

stuporman wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:
stuporman wrote:

Sounds good to me.

I was looking at from a gaining experience by playing through mistakes perspective, his game is complementary and he isn't expected to generate on his own so appeared to translate better than even Knox's game might.

I wasn't really concerned if he could sustain it over 80 games, even if his body needed more rest or less minutes then that would take care of itself, I just wanted to get his experience against NBA players and g-league would be an option if he couldn't stay on the floor because of fouls or understanding the game.

I could see his great instincts and awareness right from the beginning even more so than Knox had shown. For an energy guy that suggested he could be an impact player sooner than most rookies because it doesn't require as much developed and refined skill.

Definitely. Using the term of Fiz "Keep what you kill" it's safe to say early on Mitch is seizing that opportunity. He's definitely a lot more advanced than it seemed from summer. Glad the team is giving him the shot to prove it.

newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#672 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Nov 4, 2018 2:26 pm

Ray Williams wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

But Kanter is a better player then Meetch (not defensively of course) is right now. Meetch is playing because he's our future and Fiz has said many times that this season is about developing our young guys and he knows that Kanter won't be here after this year and Meetch will so Meetch will get the playing time.

Mitch is already better than Kanter, not even close.

I was talking about in the real world not the world of Kanter haters and Meetch lovers. I'm a Meetch fan as well and am excited about his future with the Knicks but i'm also a realist and as of right now Kanter is the better player at everything but the defensive side of the ball. #truth
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#673 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Nov 4, 2018 2:28 pm

nedleeds wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

But Kanter is a better player then Meetch (not defensively of course) is right now. Meetch is playing because he's our future and Fiz has said many times that this season is about developing our young guys and he knows that Kanter won't be here after this year and Meetch will so Meetch will get the playing time.

Kanter isn't any better than Meetch right now. Kanter was one of the 10 worst starters in the league. He is essentially 1.8 points every time he's involved in guarding a play. Meetch with no hands, wearing oven mittens is better Kantguard.

My bad, i didn't realize you have reading problems cause you clearly missed where i very clearly said that he wasn't better then Meetch on the defensive side. Maybe try reading slower?
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,359

Post#674 » by Ray Williams » Sun Nov 4, 2018 2:34 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
Ray Williams wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Mitch is already better than Kanter, not even close.

I was talking about in the real world not the world of Kanter haters and Meetch lovers. I'm a Meetch fan as well and am excited about his future with the Knicks but i'm also a realist and as of right now Kanter is the better player at everything but the defensive side of the ball. #truth

Lol, leaving out defense is like saying someone is an excellent driver except for the steering. Can’t leave defense out, unless you enjoy losing.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,867

Post#675 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Nov 4, 2018 2:40 pm

stuporman wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

I see you brought your own 'chilldo'....... :lol:

Well, the party invite clearly stated BYOC
ImageImageImage
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,214

Post#676 » by KnicksGod » Sun Nov 4, 2018 2:46 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Besart19 wrote:It will be a major challenge for the coaching staff to figure it out what lineup should they play.

90% Full Besart
(didn't have the usual lineup formatting)

More confusing this time. Like the stripes on a zebra herd it makes predation very difficult.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,140

Post#677 » by Fat Kat » Sun Nov 4, 2018 3:10 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,214

Post#678 » by KnicksGod » Sun Nov 4, 2018 3:12 pm

Kanter had a good game against Dallas but it felt like a fluke because they’re so weak. If someone is mobile or athletic, Kanter who I guess can’t jump really gets worked. He is offensively capable but don’t have a lot of faith in that either. He turns it over a lot. He’s not a good player.
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,479

Post#679 » by NYKnickerbocker » Sun Nov 4, 2018 3:14 pm

Damn I like the Enes Smith Jr name some1 dropped in those comments lol
Cookies4Life
Rookie
And1: 1,411

Post#680 » by Cookies4Life » Sun Nov 4, 2018 3:21 pm

The scary thing with Robinson is they're not running any plays for him. He's getting his buckets mainly off putbacks and the occasional alley-oop off the pick and roll.

I haven't seen much of him before he became a Knick but researching his skillset he's supposedly a pretty good shooter with range out to the 3 point line and also a respectable shooter from the FT line ( I think he was mid 70's in his senior year.) I'd like to see him in pick and pop situations to see if he actually has any semblance of a jumper.

His impact on the defensive side of the ball is noteworthy; I can't see kanter get back in the starting lineup if Mitchell continues to show his worth. His only real issue aside from lack of game reps is his stamina, both of which are easily fixable.

Return to New York Knicks