ImageImageImageImageImage

B/R: Start Stanning For These NBA Surprises (two Knicks included)

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

WajaBawl
Starter
And1: 2,250

B/R: Start Stanning For These NBA Surprises (two Knicks included) 

Post#1 » by WajaBawl » Wed Nov 7, 2018 1:11 pm

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2803604-start-stanning-for-these-nba-surprises-before-their-bandwagons-fill-up#slide3

Favale wrote a piece about upcoming/unheralded players in the league quickly gaining stock around the association. Among most surprising rookies we have players like SGA, Miles Bridges and our very own Mitchell Robinson:

Mitchell Robinson, New York Knicks

Milwaukee Bucks Twitter got BIG mad when I (deliberately) overstated Mitchell Robinson's ceiling. He had jacked an entry pass to Jarrett Allen, dribbled the length of floor, outraced Caris LeVert and finished with a dunk. I essentially called him the next Giannis Antetokounmpo. Harmless stuff.

To be clear for those who cannot detect sarcasm or tasteless humor: Robinson is not Antetokounmpo 2.0. But he's a 7-footer who gets licks on the offensive glass, swats shots, jumps passing lanes, breaks rims and has the control and gait to be a fair-weather ball-handler.

Once he polishes his defensive bearings—i.e. boxes out consistently and doesn't sacrifice placement in the post and around the rim for block attempts—the Knicks will have a draft-day mega-steal on their hands. In fact, given his pole position (No. 36), they already do.

More notably, however is that among most surprising sophomores we have Frank Ntilikina in a list that includes the likes of De'Aaron Fox, Josh Hart and Jonathan Isaac:

Frank Ntilikina may never pass the cursory box-score test. Whatever. He's laying the groundwork for a promising career.

He continues to be an all-over-the-place defender. He never gives up on closeouts and has the length and speed to keep pace with some of the more cagey guards and wings. The Knicks have tried his hand against bigger covers (Khris Middleton, Taurean Prince, Jayson Tatum, etc.) without real success, but to even have the option of entertaining that switchability is an asset.

That Ntilikina is starting to blend his defensive energy with offensive nerve is huge. He's not drilling step-back jumpers after cooking fools off the dribble, but he's no longer unassertive. He has shown more poise attacking set defenses and is no stranger to flinging sharp passes on the move.

New York may not be sold on shimmying Ntilikina between guard spots, but he's growing as a table-setter. He's shooting better than 40 percent on a not-insignificant number of pull-up threes and hitting almost 67 percent of his shots around the rim. With more confidence in his handle, upping his volume and facilitating a larger offensive breakout doesn't seem out of the question.

Judging by the piece on Frank it's likely that this was maybe written before his shooting slump, but I still find it interesting that actual NBA experts as well as media are starting to take notice on Frank and his upside, yet we have posters here who think he "sucks" and are already prepared to give up on him 11 games into his second NBA season (first imo because of the adjustment period when he first came over). It just goes to show that people around the league are watching and it is in our best interests to give him the long leash that so many other players have gotten who turned out to be great in year 3 or 4 .

Discuss! :nod:
RealGM's Scandinavian Correspondent
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,376
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Re: B/R: Start Stanning For These NBA Surprises (two Knicks included) 

Post#2 » by BKlutch » Wed Nov 7, 2018 3:01 pm

What's not to like about this? Given that tweet I posted in the PG thread showing most (not all) stars don't really shine until their 4th or 5th years, what we see is typical for a kid. Sure, there are some posters here on RealGM who have a chip on their shoulders and look at every mistake he makes as proof he'll never be anything, but that won't make it so. What Frank brings is an incredible understanding of the game and great physical talents. He needs to spend time playing to combine those qualities to become a really great player.

I'm looking forward to seeing his development, and not panicking if all our kids' rookie mistakes get us a better draft pick during this process.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,918

Post#3 » by cgf » Wed Nov 7, 2018 4:19 pm

The league loves Frank, even if some of our fans don't.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#4 » by dakomish23 » Wed Nov 7, 2018 5:25 pm

I don’t get the Middleton reference. Someone challenged me on twitter asking how many times Khris scored on him. I went through every bucket. One time.

He did roast board favorites THJ & Kanter multiple times.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Jonathan starks
Bench Warmer
And1: 815

Post#5 » by Jonathan starks » Wed Nov 7, 2018 5:41 pm

dakomish23 wrote:I don’t get the Middleton reference. Someone challenged me on twitter asking how many times Khris scored on him. I went through every bucket. One time.

Board favorites??? Do you even read the posts on this board?
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#6 » by dakomish23 » Wed Nov 7, 2018 7:06 pm

Jonathan starks wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:I don’t get the Middleton reference. Someone challenged me on twitter asking how many times Khris scored on him. I went through every bucket. One time.

Do you? THJ & Kanter were worshipped here last year.

Some folks even convinced themselves that Fiz could turn both into all stars. :lol:

The slight dip in Kanter fandom is b/c the coach isn’t starting him. If they do, they’ll be worshipping him again.

Anything and everything this organization is brilliance and needs to be worshipped.

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#7 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Nov 7, 2018 9:43 pm

i can't believe Trier didn't make the list

stop sleeping on our knicks B/R!!
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#8 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Nov 7, 2018 9:44 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:

Some folks even convinced themselves that Fiz could turn both into all stars. :lol:

The slight dip in Kanter fandom is b/c the coach isn’t starting him. If they do, they’ll be worshipping him again.

Anything and everything this organization is brilliance and needs to be worshipped.

wow

that doesn't ring true

Im literally one of the handful of people who actually like Kanter here and id be hard pressed to find anyone who likes THjr as he's currently salaried
Jonathan starks
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by Jonathan starks » Wed Nov 7, 2018 9:49 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:

wow

that doesn't ring true

Im literally one of the handful of people who actually like Kanter here and id be hard pressed to find anyone who likes THjr as he's currently salaried

The fact that your moniker is nolayuprule and you like kanter is the most ironic thing in the world
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,135

Post#10 » by Capn'O » Wed Nov 7, 2018 10:09 pm

Article needs more Sabonis.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#11 » by Nazrmohamed » Wed Nov 7, 2018 11:57 pm

WajaBawl wrote:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2803604-start-stanning-for-these-nba-surprises-before-their-bandwagons-fill-up#slide3

Favale wrote a piece about upcoming/unheralded players in the league quickly gaining stock around the association. Among most surprising rookies we have players like SGA, Miles Bridges and our very own Mitchell Robinson:

Mitchell Robinson, New York Knicks

Milwaukee Bucks Twitter got BIG mad when I (deliberately) overstated Mitchell Robinson's ceiling. He had jacked an entry pass to Jarrett Allen, dribbled the length of floor, outraced Caris LeVert and finished with a dunk. I essentially called him the next Giannis Antetokounmpo. Harmless stuff.

To be clear for those who cannot detect sarcasm or tasteless humor: Robinson is not Antetokounmpo 2.0. But he's a 7-footer who gets licks on the offensive glass, swats shots, jumps passing lanes, breaks rims and has the control and gait to be a fair-weather ball-handler.

Once he polishes his defensive bearings—i.e. boxes out consistently and doesn't sacrifice placement in the post and around the rim for block attempts—the Knicks will have a draft-day mega-steal on their hands. In fact, given his pole position (No. 36), they already do.

More notably, however is that among most surprising sophomores we have Frank Ntilikina in a list that includes the likes of De'Aaron Fox, Josh Hart and Jonathan Isaac:

Frank Ntilikina may never pass the cursory box-score test. Whatever. He's laying the groundwork for a promising career.

He continues to be an all-over-the-place defender. He never gives up on closeouts and has the length and speed to keep pace with some of the more cagey guards and wings. The Knicks have tried his hand against bigger covers (Khris Middleton, Taurean Prince, Jayson Tatum, etc.) without real success, but to even have the option of entertaining that switchability is an asset.

That Ntilikina is starting to blend his defensive energy with offensive nerve is huge. He's not drilling step-back jumpers after cooking fools off the dribble, but he's no longer unassertive. He has shown more poise attacking set defenses and is no stranger to flinging sharp passes on the move.

New York may not be sold on shimmying Ntilikina between guard spots, but he's growing as a table-setter. He's shooting better than 40 percent on a not-insignificant number of pull-up threes and hitting almost 67 percent of his shots around the rim. With more confidence in his handle, upping his volume and facilitating a larger offensive breakout doesn't seem out of the question.

Judging by the piece on Frank it's likely that this was maybe written before his shooting slump, but I still find it interesting that actual NBA experts as well as media are starting to take notice on Frank and his upside, yet we have posters here who think he "sucks" and are already prepared to give up on him 11 games into his second NBA season (first imo because of the adjustment period when he first came over). It just goes to show that people around the league are watching and it is in our best interests to give him the long leash that so many other players have gotten who turned out to be great in year 3 or 4 .

Discuss! :nod:

Well I'll start by saying that I never see Frank being any other type of point guard than we are seeing today......and understand by type I mean skillset, not mastery of ones starting skill. Actually I'll take that back, he could improve his jumpshot drastically in catch and shoot situations. I've seen many who couldn't hit the side of backboards become that player today.

But within his own skillset there's still plenty to improve upon. Hes a methodical, post entry pass, curl feeding pg whod rather get the ball to his best player and then play off the ball.

True superstars would love playing with him and would probably make him better. But again, hed have to become a way better shooter to even enjoy THAT role. Then you could put him in that Chalmers>>>>>>>>Billups trajectory of player. And no, I'm not saying Chalmers is better than, Im showing a middle to top tier of the same general skillset. What's hard though is that Billups might not be able to play PG on today's NBA. Most coaches would play a guy with that skillset at SG
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#12 » by dakomish23 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 12:21 am

NoLayupRule wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:

wow

that doesn't ring true

True or false: both players were worshipped here before KP went down?

And way more ppl defended the signing than those who hated it. The “We’re not going to sign anyone anyway” excuse reigned supreme.

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#13 » by br7knicks » Thu Nov 8, 2018 12:55 am

Why would we "discuss" this, it's a forum
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#14 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Nov 8, 2018 2:41 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

wow

that doesn't ring true

And way more ppl defended the signing than those who hated it. The “We’re not going to sign anyone anyway” excuse reigned supreme.

False

No one defended the thjr signing that I can recall
Very few worshipped kanter though some appreciated him
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#15 » by Greenie » Thu Nov 8, 2018 2:49 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:wow

that doesn't ring true

False

Plenty of people defended Timmy...including me.

I flipped once we traded Melo and I realized we were half-assing a rebuild.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,308

Post#16 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Nov 8, 2018 3:01 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:wow

that doesn't ring true

False

The first stage of Kanter appreciation was real. I remember really enjoying seeing a guy pluck rebounds out of traffic after not having a bona fide boarder on this team for ages. His spirit was fun to see.

During that first stage, KT was posting about Kanter's woefulness on D and that was the early divide.

Over time, almost the whole board agreed with KT and it has been reduced to maybe only a few people who think Kanter can be a net positive starter on a contender.

That leaves the vast majority either thinking he could be a good backup C or not wanting him anywhere near the club after this season. It appears the latter group is now in the majority.

That's my historical recap.

And IIRC, very few felt Tim's contract was a good idea, though he has gained more supporters as time has gone on. Still, it appears the majority of fans would love to get his contract off the books.
ImageImageImage
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,317

Post#17 » by gavran » Thu Nov 8, 2018 3:30 pm

Capn'O wrote:Article needs more Sabonis.

No it doesn't. Article is talking about surprises.
Jonathan starks
Bench Warmer

Post#18 » by Jonathan starks » Thu Nov 8, 2018 7:03 pm

cgf wrote:The league loves Frank, even if some of our fans don't.

1) you don’t know what the league thinks of Frank 2) according to the GB he’s an average player at best 3) if anyone has an inflated opinion of Frank it’s Knick fans
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,918

Post#19 » by cgf » Thu Nov 8, 2018 7:09 pm

Jonathan starks wrote:

1) you don’t know what the league thinks of Frank 2) according to the GB he’s an average player at best 3) if anyone has an inflated opinion of Frank it’s Knick fans

Except we consistently hear this from NBA insiders and folks who talk to actual NBA people, rather than message board posters :dontknow:
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,672

Post#20 » by mpharris36 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 7:17 pm

Jonathan starks wrote:

Read on Twitter
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ

Return to New York Knicks