ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: We suck but core is good

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,492

Re: PG: We suck but core is good 

Post#341 » by KnicksGod » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:47 pm

I watched the game more closely for player by player evaluation.

I can see why people are a little down about Frank and Knox after this one but it's a mixed picture still.

Frank starts the game with a very nice drive. He has plenty of speed to get to the basket effectively with his height. He's patient but I don't think being passive is really a major problem with him. More that he needs to get more confident in general. I don't think those two things are exactly the same. Passive is sort of a DNA trait and confidence is experience. I think it's more experience.

A couple of Frank's drives at the end are bad looking. He gets turned away pretty easily on a drive in the 4th. It was a drive to nowhere.

Frank nails a nice 3 that was a good shot in the flow and a tough one. He misses a 3 that was somewhat open but it was close and a difficult one from three-quarters arc. It just rims out.

He also has a backdown on Lowry that looked good. He did the right things and got in close, turned nicely, but misses. I believe it was on Lowry but not 100% sure. He has worked on his post game and it has potential.

He doesn't make any noticeable passes. If there's an area where he should be more aggressive, it's taking chances with his passing. I trust his vision. He needs to as well.

In fact, on the subject of Frank being "passive," some of his worst plays on O are when he drives off of no ball movement. He thinks this is what is supposed to happen in the NBA. But it's more a product of ball movement stopping and a lack of structure on O. I'm not really criticizing Fizdale but the "modern offense" thing doesn't quite fit with Frank's strengths entirely. Which is to make the right pass and move into position. The more structure, and the better the offense is with talent, the better Frank will do. You could say that about a lot of guys to be fair.

Also Frank is a guy who already looks to take good shots only. You want a few bad shots to loosen him up but it's valuable in and of itself that he is someone who will not shoot you out of games. Fine line. He's not making many shots but he's not taking bad ones or a lot of them. His worst shots are forced drives where he's just trying to make a play and be a scoring PG up to NBA caliber/expectations. These are shots I reckon he almost never attempted before the last couple years.

To be fair, and call balls and strikes, I don't think Frank made any great plays on D. I can't say for sure he stopped or slowed Lowry. But his natural presence out there, without even having to stand out, is disruptive on D. He is effective even where he's not getting stops per se.

On Knox, he has a couple of weak shots near the end. A long 2 he shouldn't have taken. He also gets blocked by Anunoby. Eh. It was a good drive off a nice pass and the guy makes a nice defensive play.

Knox's 3 ball looks very good. He does seem to have some motor issues. He needs to play more and they need to stay on him about his motor. His athleticism is not great but good enough. That shot will be dangerous once he continues getting reps. He is legitimately big out there and his dribble game has a lot of ceiling too at that height and width. I didn't see anything terrible on D, but he's not that quick laterally on D. He gets out late to a couple of shooters but it was because he was helping. He's not going to be a great defender but I think he can be good enough. Eventually he'll get a few steals and can take it in transition. Knox seems to get down on himself a little, he's triggering a little too often on his jumper (although that too is a fine line, because of course you want him to stay in attack mode). I feel good that Knox is a plus starter in the NBA eventually. High ceiling with that jumper and size.

Quiet game for Trier but he still showed the same flashes, including some nice-looking passing. Kid can play.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,534

Post#342 » by Fat Kat » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:58 pm

Someone needs to make the game thread
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#343 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:00 pm

Fans gotta have some patience. We didn't draft anyone ready to dominate from game #1. it's gonna take time if it happens at all.

The difference that I see from a team perspective is Fiz does have these guys playing hard, most on both ends, and normally they are competitive against everyone they have played.

Anyone who cant appreciate that just doesn't understand how a rebuild supposed to work. These guys are overachieving on that aspect alone. They should be getting blown out at the ends of most of their contests but they aren't.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#344 » by magnumt » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:16 pm

Fat Kat wrote:Someone needs to make the game thread

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1766210#p70089599

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 7,889

Post#345 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:45 pm

KnicksGod wrote:
On Knox, he has a couple of weak shots near the end. A long 2 he shouldn't have taken. He also gets blocked by Anunoby. Eh. It was a good drive off a nice pass and the guy makes a nice defensive play.

Knox's 3 ball looks very good. He does seem to have some motor issues. He needs to play more and they need to stay on him about his motor. His athleticism is not great but good enough. That shot will be dangerous once he continues getting reps. He is legitimately big out there and his dribble game has a lot of ceiling too at that height and width. I didn't see anything terrible on D, but he's not that quick laterally on D. He gets out late to a couple of shooters but it was because he was helping. He's not going to be a great defender but I think he can be good enough. Eventually he'll get a few steals and can take it in transition. Knox seems to get down on himself a little, he's triggering a little too often on his jumper (although that too is a fine line, because of course you want him to stay in attack mode). I feel good that Knox is a plus starter in the NBA eventually. High ceiling with that jumper and size.

Quiet game for Trier but he still showed the same flashes, including some nice-looking passing. Kid can play.

I agree about the motor issues but don’t about his athleticism. Knox has a good first step and can get by defenders easily but doesn’t explode towards the hoop very well. I feel like when he finished maturing and gets stronger it won’t be as much of an issue. He has been kinda playing with tunnel vision when he has the ball so making that pass to Mario on the fast break was a step in the right direction. I really like that he can get his shot off in tight spaces.
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,653

Post#346 » by prophet_of_rage » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:53 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
CharlesOakley wrote:
PG is also the most important defensive position. We have potentially the best defensive pg in the league and you are excited about trading him just to trade him?

It is not the most important defensive position. Centre still is. You need rim protection more than you need anybody harassing the ballgandler. NBA guys don’t even zig zag any more. You need a mobile big who can step out on the pick and roll and protect the rim.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM mobile app

i couldn't disagree with this more. first of all, most defensive schemes are much more complex than this and involve a funnel (ideally to weak hand) when the perimeter defender gets beat. staying between the penetrator and the basket is still paramount.

having the rim protector as a failsafe is ideal. not suggesting layup lines into him is acceptable.
Funnel to what? Every perumeter guy is beat now that you can't put hands on anybody. You think the point guard can protect the perimeter? The complexity of NBA offences and defences comes down to your guy in the back being able to clean up for everybody. Uf he can't your guards aren't nearly as aggressive on the perimeter ajd in the passing lanes.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#347 » by prophet_of_rage » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:54 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
Adelheid wrote:
Alot of times Draymond is their PoT and Steph is still so deadly playing offball. Oh, and there is KD who can put the ball on the floor. GSW has many weapons that can create, you need a defensive team to keep them at bay.

That’s their offence not their defence.

steph is the LONE weak link in an elite defense deisgned to compensate for him. what a terrible example.
Pick a team then.

prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#348 » by prophet_of_rage » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:07 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
That’s their offence not their defence.

steph is the LONE weak link in an elite defense deisgned to compensate for him. what a terrible example.
Pick a team then.

The best defenders at point guard are probably:

Paul
Ball
Nkilitina
Rubio
Holiday
Lowry, arguably
Conley
Bradley
Beverly

Which of their defences is based around them stopping the ballhandler?

Most if them defend the best perimeter scorer.

newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#349 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:21 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:Fans gotta have some patience. We didn't draft anyone ready to dominate from game #1. it's gonna take time if it happens at all.

The difference that I see from a team perspective is Fiz does have these guys playing hard, most on both ends, and normally they are competitive against everyone they have played.

Anyone who cant appreciate that just doesn't understand how a rebuild supposed to work. These guys are overachieving on that aspect alone. They should be getting blown out at the ends of most of their contests but they aren't.

I've been impressed but i'll be much more impressed if these kids are still competing and playing hard at game 50 and game 60 and game 70 when they've gone through a tough season of plenty of losses.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Post#350 » by whocares1 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:48 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:Fans gotta have some patience. We didn't draft anyone ready to dominate from game #1. it's gonna take time if it happens at all.

I've been impressed but i'll be much more impressed if these kids are still competing and playing hard at game 50 and game 60 and game 70 when they've gone through a tough season of plenty of losses.

Yea hopefully by that point they are getting better.
awy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,341

Post#351 » by awy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:55 pm

trier and mitch are pretty hungry and trying to prove themselves. if they improve and make a name in the league i think their motivation will be fine.

dot is just rock solid.

frank seems like a really hard and serious worker, but could be bothered by expectations.

knox in the predraft process showed that hunger but we haven't seen it on the court yet.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#352 » by NYKAL » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:03 pm

would love it if Knox transformed his body like Olidepo (I butchered the spelling :) ) over the summer
ohboy109
Rookie
And1: 225

Post#353 » by ohboy109 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:06 pm

K P 6 wrote:The future is bright with some cap space and another top pick. The core guys have potential Which is good.

Knox- Solid game but Plays need to be ran for him.

Frank- hands all over the place on defense still growing pains.

Trier- Didn’t impact the game much

Mitch- Demon to start, growing defensively

Dotson- that boy competed period

Hardaway gets mentioned Bc he had a good game. Still not a fan of his shot selection.

Somehow we need to trade Kanter dude just kills the teams fighting spirit allowing layups and Easy baskets Bc of his bum ass defense. Who wants to play hard when they know Kanter gunna screw up.

Frnk is garbade and they need a top 3 pick this year!

Return to New York Knicks