ImageImageImageImageImage

Mitchell Robinson

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,445

Re: Mitchell Robinson 

Post#21 » by KnicksGod » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:15 pm

What we really should do is run Mitch around some curls for the 3 ball.
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 7,886

Post#22 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:20 pm

KnicksGod wrote:What we really should do is run Mitch around some curls for the 3 ball.

Instead of being the screener on the dribble hand offs. He should be the guy taking the hand off. :lol:
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,653

Post#23 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:31 pm

KnicksGod wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:Do
Not
Tell
Mitch
Robinson
ANYTHING
About
Offense

It does not matter now. Just like it didn't with Frank. And it can mess with a guy's proper development. Stop turning everybody into a scorer.

I don't do anything to Mitch Robinson. Two, players have to expand their game every year to stay relevant. Three, I didn't say this year. I said by year five. I know this year is conditioning, understanding the game, but they aren't having him work with Wallace and the like just to be a pogo stick. And again, I don't understand certain posters obsessions with playing four on five. That creates more and more bailout situations where you need guys like Hardaway to take tough shots against double teams.

Even San Antonio, the development masters, give their bigs jumpshots and a hook.

It's all about how and when you deliver the message. What Frank showed early on should never have been turned into ... "Show us what you got as an offensive attack." I'm not saying that's what happened, I have no idea, but I do think it's a risk and very misguided.

Pass the ball. Defend. Frank's passing is less inventive now too. Give kids confidence. Play to their strengths. Get on them about working on their weaknesses when they turn 23 or 24 or whatever.

Let them concentrate on what they do well for a couple of years as they get their feet wet.

You've got something on your lip ... :D
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#24 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:36 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:

Watching this guy, athletically he is Giannis to me. His stride eats up the court. He has first step and can push his dribble out there. From half court he can get it to just outside the 3 point line and he has a sprinter's stride. He is far springier than Camby was coming out of college and physically not as frail.

I would love to see him work with Hakeem if Hakeem is still doing his camps. He is nimble and his footwork is light. He could be able to spin and step through and be tough to catch in transition. Then if he could develop a jump shot out to the free throw line he is blow by city on other bigs and way too tall for forwards and can just shoot over them. He had a David Robinson like growth spurt so he has coordination and defensive instincts of a guard suddenly in a much taller body.

Year 5 for this kid is going to be special if he continues his work ethic. Robinson with a free throw line jumper and a hook is lethal if he increases his stamina and strength. I don't believe he needs a three, but those two things and he's an All-Star given his defence and rebounding currently. And he has that dog mentality in him.

@1:37 - That's a one dribble, drive and dunk from the other team's top of the key, correct? :o

Correct. And from a two foot stand still. he didn't even explode off the back leg. And he still ends up taking off from inside the free throw line. So in one dribble and two strides he went about 55 feet. That's crazy.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#25 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:38 pm

KnicksGod wrote:What we really should do is run Mitch around some curls for the 3 ball.

How do you run around a curl?
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#26 » by KnicksGod » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:43 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:

You tell me. Where do you want Mitch on the court offensively? Maybe we should dump it off to him down low and let him go to work. Clear out. Everybody stay stationary on the weak side and just let's see what Mitch has got.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,458

Post#27 » by ibraheim718 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:43 pm

You don't need offense from a rebounding and shot blocking center... You need offense from a point guard.
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#28 » by kane2021 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:47 pm

A slick pg could make Mitch a weapon. Not just with lobs. But getting him moving towards the rim for a scoring opportunity is going to get him to the line too. Which could end up developing into a mid range jumper down the line.

It reminds me so much of Payton Kemp. And Kidd Martin. Maybe a little Nash Amare? I feel like there’s a whole untapped offensive dimension there.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#29 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:50 pm

KnicksGod wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:

You tell me. Where do you want Mitch on the court offensively? Maybe we should dump it off to him down low and let him go to work. Clear out. Everybody stay stationary on the weak side and just let's see what Mitch has got.

I don't know how you run around a curl. I know how to curl off a screen to the basket. I know how to flare off a screen for 3. I even know how to run off a screen for 3, but I admit I don't know how to run around a curl.

Maybe you should come out of the 90s concepts of offence and defence and realize to win in this era you need skills on both ends. And, if you want to get paid, you definitely need skills on both ends. And I'm betting Mitchell Robinson wants to get paid. Nobody has talked about making Mitch an iso player, but I see you're intent on trying to derail this thread.

Good luck.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#30 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:52 pm

kane2021 wrote:A slick pg could make Mitch a weapon. Not just with lobs. But getting him moving towards the rim for a scoring opportunity is going to get him to the line too. Which could end up developing into a mid range jumper down the line.

It reminds me so much of Payton Kemp. And Kidd Martin. Maybe a little Nash Amare? I feel like there’s a whole untapped offensive dimension there.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Don't tell certain people that. They can't handle the idea of players scoring.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,407

Post#31 » by robillionaire » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:01 pm

just play mitch at point center
awy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,341

Post#32 » by awy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:12 pm

him having very low usage isn't solely a pg problem. The spacing on the team is really bad and they play slow because nobody knows the plays and where to be.

they should run more pnrs but mitch has only one play he could run and he can't even screen well for it. so having a second option with a 3 could help him a lot on offense.

It's not that hard or too much on his plate, honestly.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,924

Post#33 » by god shammgod » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:21 pm

don't turn the mitch thread into a frank thread. c'mon.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#34 » by KnicksGod » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:32 pm

robillionaire wrote:just play mitch at point center

What Mitch has shown so far is a disgusting display of non-offensive basketball. It will never work. Not in this era of modern offensive basketball.

Mitch needs to start attacking the basket and he needs to do it ASAP. Get that dribble up to speed, beat people to the hole, and take it 1 on 1. He should be paying both Timmy Hardaway and Hakeem Olajuwon to get tutored on his skills for scoring the ball.

We are playing 4 on 5 out there when Mitch is on the court -- it's just ugly and it can't work.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,055

Post#35 » by Capn'O » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:33 pm

god shammgod wrote:don't turn the mitch thread into a frank thread. c'mon.

I wish I still had my super And1 powers for this post.

But I have different powers now. And I agree.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#36 » by KnicksGod » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:36 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:

I don't know how you run around a curl. I know how to curl off a screen to the basket. I know how to flare off a screen for 3. I even know how to run off a screen for 3, but I admit I don't know how to run around a curl.

Maybe you should come out of the 90s concepts of offence and defence and realize to win in this era you need skills on both ends. And, if you want to get paid, you definitely need skills on both ends. And I'm betting Mitchell Robinson wants to get paid. Nobody has talked about making Mitch an iso player, but I see you're intent on trying to derail this thread.

Good luck.

I'm totally with you and I think we should start picking apart Mitch's scoring weaknesses right away.

He looks like a dinosaur out there just swatting everything that's within a 10 foot radius of him. Look at Draymond. He can shoot. Why not Mitch? Just try Mitch. Just try.

It's high time we start to destroy another Knick player's career. Time's awasting.
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,918

Post#37 » by SelbyCobra » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:40 pm

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,963

Post#38 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:43 pm

Capn'O wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:That's why I am looking for two additions: a mid range jumper and a hook shot.

Just a mid range jumper would do so much for his game

It is coming. He has range to 3.

Fiz told him to focus close in and on defense at first. He is following marching orders. In HS, he utilized his J. Now he is passing up open shots.

they all do in practice. kanter is wet from three in practice. WCS was wet from 3 in pre-draft workout videos.

not saying he can't. but it might be a little early to say he already has range to 3. his form on his free throws (only time we see him shoot in-game) looks a little wonky.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#39 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:44 pm

Capn'O wrote:

I wish I still had my super And1 powers for this post.

But I have different powers now. And I agree.

Get your fellow mod under control. :D
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#40 » by cuyankees » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:45 pm

KnicksGod wrote:Do
Not
Tell
Mitch
Robinson
ANYTHING
About
Offense

It does not matter now. Just like it didn't with Frank. And it can mess with a guy's proper development. Stop turning everybody into a scorer.

Precisely, people are up in arms about Frank not being an attacking PG or Mitch not being offensive. Those guys are perfect fits for what is to come, Frank is literally THE perfect PG for KP driven offense and Mitch is close to perfection as a running mate in the front court.

Return to New York Knicks