ImageImageImageImageImage

Somebody’s got to go.

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 16,413

Re: Somebody’s got to go. 

Post#101 » by Wolfgang630 » Mon Dec 3, 2018 6:08 pm

We should trade the team, trade the city of New York and trade the fans. That’s our best option.
zappafrank
Junior
And1: 158

Post#102 » by zappafrank » Mon Dec 3, 2018 6:20 pm

given the recent history of free-agent signings, i don't get this infatuation with gutting the roster to clear up cap space.
realistically for who?
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#103 » by NYKAL » Mon Dec 3, 2018 6:22 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:You'd obviously look to get rid of Burke before even considering trading Zo. I'm unclear on what the Knicks options are exactly with Trier.

agreed and this from a person who likes Trey
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#104 » by ChaosHamster » Mon Dec 3, 2018 6:25 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Knicks Film School podcast on who should go.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-knicks-film-school-podcast/id1439034317?mt=2&i=1000424995147

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

"Trier is a willing passer. Hes not a selfish player."

Welp. These guys cover the Knicks.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,539

Post#105 » by cgmw » Mon Dec 3, 2018 6:36 pm

With the emergence of Trier, the Knicks are a better team either cutting Burke or just simply benching him.

If there's ANY trade value whatsoeve for Trey, great. Take it. Even for a 2nd rounder. If not, I hope Fiz has the balls to bench him or Perry the backbone to just cut his ass. Talented scorer, but he's holding back the development of our lotto picks while adding exactly nothing to our ability to win games this season or get better in future seasons.

Maybe he catches on elsewhere as a scoring 6th man, but he's a bad fit for this team and needs to go.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,245

Post#106 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Dec 3, 2018 6:44 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
can we stay in the realm of reality?

all of these things you like about vonleh are apparent to the rest of the league. that's just not a number a rotation player and potential starter is going to sign for, let alone long-term.

How much do you think he will get?

i don't know. but that sounds super low.

assuming he maintains this level of production, even reserves are looking at double-digit Ms in a $109m and $118m cap.

I was thinking Vonleh might go somewhere around $5 to $8mil per, but that could be low. Last offseason a lot of rotation went in that range for more reasonable deals. In other years there have been more teams that teams that overpay so its hard to say. I am thinking even if teams value Vonleh, they may not necessarily have him at the top of their list.

Personally, I would not pay $10mil+ for Vonleh.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,635

Post#107 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Dec 3, 2018 7:04 pm

ChaosHamster wrote:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-knicks-film-school-podcast/id1439034317?mt=2&i=1000424995147

Trier had 7 assists in one game recently.
Free Palestine
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,436

Post#108 » by KnicksGod » Mon Dec 3, 2018 7:05 pm

What about targeting Vucevic and trading KP with Timmy for a rookie scale guy, and thereby freeing up money for Vonleh and Trier, maybe Mudiay, and eventually Dot?

Vucevic - Mitch
Vonleh - 2019 1st
Knox - QRSCP (Quality Rookie Scale Contract Player)
Dotson - Frank
Trier - Mudiay
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant

Post#109 » by ChaosHamster » Mon Dec 3, 2018 7:08 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
ChaosHamster wrote:

Burke had games with 9 and 11. Timmy just had 8 assists. So we have full back-court of great passers? :lol:

Dudes were saying how Burke is just looking to score, and doesn't move the ball, while Trier for them is a willing passer. Like how can you watch games and think that..

Both of them are heavily score first.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,946

Post#110 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Dec 3, 2018 7:09 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
How much do you think he will get?

i don't know. but that sounds super low.

assuming he maintains this level of production, even reserves are looking at double-digit Ms in a $109m and $118m cap.

I was thinking Vonleh might go somewhere around $5 to $8mil per, but that could be low. Last offseason a lot of rotation went in that range for more reasonable deals. In other years there have been more teams that teams that overpay so its hard to say. I am thinking even if teams value Vonleh, they may not necessarily have him at the top of their list.

Personally, I would not pay $10mil+ for Vonleh.

you're right. it's hard to say until the actual FA market opens. things happen that dictate the market even on a transaction-by-transaction basis.

he's probably not the right guy to spend money on. but i like him a lot as part of a solid, deep frontcourt with KP and mitch.

paying a guy like vonleh is not a priority at the moment, as paying tim should not have been a couple years ago.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,946

Post#111 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Dec 3, 2018 7:11 pm

cgmw wrote:With the emergence of Trier, the Knicks are a better team either cutting Burke or just simply benching him.

If there's ANY trade value whatsoeve for Trey, great. Take it. Even for a 2nd rounder. If not, I hope Fiz has the balls to bench him or Perry the backbone to just cut his ass. Talented scorer, but he's holding back the development of our lotto picks while adding exactly nothing to our ability to win games this season or get better in future seasons.

Maybe he catches on elsewhere as a scoring 6th man, but he's a bad fit for this team and needs to go.

you take a second rounder for trey burke and run. you found trey burke on the scrap heap and flipped him into something people pay for at a time when you're not looking to pay him.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant

Post#112 » by ChaosHamster » Mon Dec 3, 2018 7:21 pm

I've been super impressed with Vonleh. Still a lot of time to play in the season, but I'am heavily on "we should get that guy back" wagon right now.

Mudiay obviously improved, but I want to see consistency before we even think about re-signing him.

Vonleh just showed a lot of qualities that I don't think need a ton of time to evaluate. He was always a good rebounder, he moves well and is super strong which helps him to be a good defender. Yes, 3-ball percentage is gonna drop. But he was 30% shooter before this season. So its not unreasonable to think he improved and now can be a consistent ~35% shooter.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,635

Post#113 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Dec 3, 2018 7:24 pm

ChaosHamster wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
ChaosHamster wrote:

Burke had games with 9 and 11. Timmy just had 8 assists. So we have full back-court of great passers? :lol:

Dudes were saying how Burke is just looking to score, and doesn't move the ball, while Trier for them is a willing passer. Like how can you watch games and think that..

Both of them are heavily score first.

HATER! :lol:
Free Palestine
FemaleDogPlease
Veteran
And1: 1,473

Post#114 » by FemaleDogPlease » Mon Dec 3, 2018 7:43 pm

Trier looks automatic when he is open. He isn't going anywhere.

Problem with Burke is if he isnt scoring he is useless. I was hoping we could use him in the Lou Williams role but that spot is being taken by Trier.
FemaleDogPlease
Veteran

Post#115 » by FemaleDogPlease » Mon Dec 3, 2018 7:45 pm

ChaosHamster wrote:I've been super impressed with Vonleh. Still a lot of time to play in the season, but I'am heavily on "we should get that guy back" wagon right now.

Mudiay obviously improved, but I want to see consistency before we even think about re-signing him.

Vonleh just showed a lot of qualities that I don't think need a ton of time to evaluate. He was always a good rebounder, he moves well and is super strong which helps him to be a good defender. Yes, 3-ball percentage is gonna drop. But he was 30% shooter before this season. So its not unreasonable to think he improved and now can be a consistent ~35% shooter.

Where does Vonleh fit in the rotation once KP comes back and next year. Mitchell will likely be starting sooner than later.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,245

Post#116 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Dec 3, 2018 8:02 pm

FemaleDogPlease wrote:
ChaosHamster wrote:I've been super impressed with Vonleh. Still a lot of time to play in the season, but I'am heavily on "we should get that guy back" wagon right now.

Where does Vonleh fit in the rotation once KP comes back and next year. Mitchell will likely be starting sooner than later.

Either Mitch + KP with Vonleh off the bench, or KP + Vonleh with Mitch off the bench.

Given KP's injury and Mitch still learning to play with fouls, there should be plenty of minutes for Vonleh.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
SmoothLefty21
Starter
And1: 2,410

Post#117 » by SmoothLefty21 » Mon Dec 3, 2018 8:13 pm

Burke is the clear answer; keep him on the end of the bench or release him. I doubt we get a second-rounder for him despite all the speculative articles. He's owed less than $2m and is a UFA; he was a nice story for a minute but just end this. He's a 6' shooting guard.

Trier and Dot are whatever, I'm not excited about either's future, but at least they are both good/natural fits for their position (when Fiz isn't giving Trier burn at the PG spot, at least), unlike Burke. It would be nice if this franchise could get a pure point guard for once. Burke, Mudiay, Frank, Trier, etc. Combo guards or SGs masquerading as PGs.
dmzed
Sophomore
And1: 143

Post#118 » by dmzed » Mon Dec 3, 2018 8:38 pm

From the athletic article here: https://theathletic.com/685313/2018/11/30/the-knicks-passed-on-allonzo-trier-twice-and-still-landed-a-rookie-gem-but-another-big-decision-looms-and-it-could-get-tricky/

Code: Select all

He entered draft night in June with strong expectations that he would be selected by the Knicks. He believed he had received strong indications the Knicks would take him in the second round, with the 36th overall pick.

“I don’t want to say it was a promise but it was — I don’t know what’s a guarantee,” he said. “I thought that’s where I was going for sure.”

Trier says he was told by the Knicks that if he was still on the board then, they would take him. The Knicks didn’t make a promise to Trier, according to league sources, but did have him in strong consideration for the pick.

“I didn’t think I would get past there, honestly,” he said.

Instead, the Knicks chose Mitchell Robinson, who they had tried trading up into the first round for. A call from a member of the organization soon followed, with an explanation. The Knicks had a need to go big, Trier says he was told, and Robinson had dropped to them, though they still evaluated him highly and hoped to get him.

“Even though I may have been their best available player and favorite player on the board they chose to go with something that would benefit them now or fill a need right now,” Trier said. “That ended up working for them too. They ended up getting me as well. Big win.”

Soon after they took Robinson at No. 36, the Knicks started laying the groundwork to sign Trier if he went undrafted. That diligence paid off, with Trier in no mood to let their slight stop him from still coming, and it took just one game for him to announce his arrival. His opening night dunk against the Hawks put him on the scene.

Yet, as good as Trier’s rookie year has gone, he hasn’t forgotten how he landed in New York. He reminds Knicks brass of it too, needling them about the pick they didn’t make, even if he still signed with the organization.

“You guys didn’t pick me either,” Trier said. “But it is what it is.”

Seems like Trier isn't too thrilled with Knicks FO for not drafting him.
FemaleDogPlease
Veteran

Post#119 » by FemaleDogPlease » Mon Dec 3, 2018 9:29 pm

Trier getting major exposure on the Knicks. Other teams passed on him to. Only thing this indicates is he is less inclined to give a discount to the Knicks.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#120 » by Sark » Mon Dec 3, 2018 11:17 pm

dmzed wrote:From the athletic article here: https://theathletic.com/685313/2018/11/30/the-knicks-passed-on-allonzo-trier-twice-and-still-landed-a-rookie-gem-but-another-big-decision-looms-and-it-could-get-tricky/

Code: Select all

He entered draft night in June with strong expectations that he would be selected by the Knicks. He believed he had received strong indications the Knicks would take him in the second round, with the 36th overall pick.

“I don’t want to say it was a promise but it was — I don’t know what’s a guarantee,” he said. “I thought that’s where I was going for sure.”

Trier says he was told by the Knicks that if he was still on the board then, they would take him. The Knicks didn’t make a promise to Trier, according to league sources, but did have him in strong consideration for the pick.

“I didn’t think I would get past there, honestly,” he said.

Instead, the Knicks chose Mitchell Robinson, who they had tried trading up into the first round for. A call from a member of the organization soon followed, with an explanation. The Knicks had a need to go big, Trier says he was told, and Robinson had dropped to them, though they still evaluated him highly and hoped to get him.

“Even though I may have been their best available player and favorite player on the board they chose to go with something that would benefit them now or fill a need right now,” Trier said. “That ended up working for them too. They ended up getting me as well. Big win.”

Soon after they took Robinson at No. 36, the Knicks started laying the groundwork to sign Trier if he went undrafted. That diligence paid off, with Trier in no mood to let their slight stop him from still coming, and it took just one game for him to announce his arrival. His opening night dunk against the Hawks put him on the scene.

Yet, as good as Trier’s rookie year has gone, he hasn’t forgotten how he landed in New York. He reminds Knicks brass of it too, needling them about the pick they didn’t make, even if he still signed with the organization.

“You guys didn’t pick me either,” Trier said. “But it is what it is.”

Seems like Trier isn't too thrilled with Knicks FO for not drafting him.

That's why I said he was using the Knicks. NY gives him the biggest stage to show what he can do. But I don't believe for 1 second that he wants to be a Knick for any reason other than to set up a big pay day somewhere else.

Return to New York Knicks