ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA Rookie Ladder - Mitch @ 5, Trier approaching, Trae > Doncic (***UPDATE Mar 7***)

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,445

Re: NBA Rookie Ladder - Knox up to 3 (***UPDATE Dec 27 STILL AT 3rd***) 

Post#321 » by robillionaire » Sat Jan 5, 2019 2:46 am

Cookies4Life wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
I'll never understand that trade.

Well, it’s going to go down as probably the worst draft day trade in NBA history. Worse than Robert Traylor for Dirk Nowitzki, worse than Kobe Bryant for Vlade Divac worse than Kawhi Leanord for George Hill, worse than Olden Polynice for Scottie Pippen, you name it. In fact I think it will probably go down as the worst trade in NBA history, period

Those are really bad examples. Kobe, Dirk, Scottie are All time great players and kawhi is on his way there. While Doncic is a stud, Trae Young isn't that bad of a player and could probably carve a respectable career for himself in the league. Sky is the limit for Doncic, but it's way too premature to be comparing him to some of those great players. Worst trade in history is a hyperbolic statement.

I'm willing to die on this hill, he's about to be an all-star starter at age 19
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,919

Post#322 » by SelbyCobra » Sat Jan 5, 2019 3:24 am

robillionaire wrote:
Cookies4Life wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
Well, it’s going to go down as probably the worst draft day trade in NBA history. Worse than Robert Traylor for Dirk Nowitzki, worse than Kobe Bryant for Vlade Divac worse than Kawhi Leanord for George Hill, worse than Olden Polynice for Scottie Pippen, you name it. In fact I think it will probably go down as the worst trade in NBA history, period

Those are really bad examples. Kobe, Dirk, Scottie are All time great players and kawhi is on his way there. While Doncic is a stud, Trae Young isn't that bad of a player and could probably carve a respectable career for himself in the league. Sky is the limit for Doncic, but it's way too premature to be comparing him to some of those great players. Worst trade in history is a hyperbolic statement.

As Cookies/melo noted, the part where you're going to have a hard time winning the argument of worst trade ever is the Hawks side.

The Nowitzki deal is bad on it's face because Dirk is a 13 time all-star, league MVP, Finals MVP, and shouldered the whole load winning a championship against one of the most imposing and recognizable teams in the history of the NBA led by Lebron. Oh, and he's a first ballot, no doubt HOFer who will probably pass Wilt Chamberlain for 6th place on the NBA's all-time scoring list in a couple of weeks.

But that's not the problem - Luka could have a career as good as Dirk's. The problem is that he was traded for Tractor Traylor who was out of the league in 7 years, averaging 14 minutes a game and posting career totals of 4.8 ppg and 3.7 rpg. That's the part that's going to make it REALLY hard to be worse than the Dirk trade, no matter if Luka is a generational player.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,558

Post#323 » by cgmw » Sat Jan 5, 2019 4:43 am

SelbyCobra wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
Cookies4Life wrote:

As Cookies noted, the part where you're going to have a hard time winning the argument of worst trade ever is the Hawks side.

The Nowitzki deal is bad on it's face because Dirk is a 13 time all-star, league MVP, Finals MVP, and shouldered the whole load winning a championship against one of the most imposing and recognizable teams in the history of the NBA led by Lebron. Oh, and he's a first ballot, no doubt HOFer who will probably pass Wilt Chamberlain for 6th place on the NBA's all-time scoring list in a couple of weeks.

But that's not the problem - Luka could have a career as good as Dirk's. The problem is that he was traded for Tractor Traylor who was out of the league in 7 years, averaging 14 minutes a game and posting career totals of 4.8 ppg and 3.7 rpg. That's the part that's going to make it REALLY hard to be worse than the Dirk trade, no matter if Luka is a generational player.

Also props for Dirk staying with one team for 20 years. Luka could fall and break his adolescent pecker tomorrow or demand a trade in a couple years.

Tractor Traylor looked pretty good out of Michigan, but it's hard to see how Trae Young has a worse career.

ANYWHOOOOOOO... How about that Kevin Knox, huh?
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#324 » by dakomish23 » Sat Jan 5, 2019 5:11 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

im no Trae young fan but you reaching lol. he’s not doncic good and may never be but the hawks still got a solid player at the end of the day. he put up some solid numbers this past month. 16 ppg 7 assists on solid effiency. if the hawks are able to land another good player with Dallas’s pick I don’t think this trade will look so bad imo

Once his 3PT shot starts falling, his value will skyrocket. The passing is already great.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Grinditout
RealGM
And1: 2,368

Re: NBA Rookie Ladder - Knox up to 3 (***UPDATE JAN 3 - ROOKIE OF THE MONTH***) 

Post#325 » by Grinditout » Sat Jan 5, 2019 7:20 am

Still early but this might be the best draft class we've had in awhile(since the nate/lee/Frye era)
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#326 » by magnumt » Sat Jan 5, 2019 10:08 pm

Grinditout wrote:Still early but this might be the best draft class we've had in awhile(since the nate/lee/Frye era)

Best signing class too. Vonleh/Mudiay/Mario

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
TBri1974
Pro Prospect
And1: 385

Post#327 » by TBri1974 » Sun Jan 6, 2019 5:43 pm

Grinditout wrote:Still early but this might be the best draft class we've had in awhile(since the nate/lee/Frye era)

I mean, KP alone was an amazing draft class. Rare teams get talents like that. I agree that this bunch is exciting, I think all three have real potential. I also agree the signings - particularly Vonleh - was good as well.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,302

Post#328 » by Oscirus » Sun Jan 6, 2019 6:44 pm

Are people forgetting the trade where the clippers forgot to lottery protect their pick ad gave up Irving for the Cavs to take Davis off their hands? That Trae Young deal isn't even close to worst.

Young rook is improving, sucks that its in such a toxic environment. I hope timmy burke and mudiays bad habits dont rub off on him.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,535

Post#329 » by Fat Kat » Mon Jan 7, 2019 2:06 pm

Read on Twitter

“Doctors said I have a half-inch or an inch left in the tank,” Knox said following Sunday’s practice at the NIKE campus ahead of their Monday battle with the Blazers. “You never know — hopefully I have an inch [left]. Maybe 6-10, 6-10½. If not, I’m perfectly fine with where I’m at.”
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
BallSacBounce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,411

Post#330 » by BallSacBounce » Mon Jan 7, 2019 2:32 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

“Doctors said I have a half-inch or an inch left in the tank,” Knox said following Sunday’s practice at the NIKE campus ahead of their Monday battle with the Blazers. “You never know — hopefully I have an inch [left]. Maybe 6-10, 6-10½. If not, I’m perfectly fine with where I’m at.”

Awesome news.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,212

Post#331 » by Kampuchea » Mon Jan 7, 2019 3:15 pm

Knox getting taller? I've just gained some inches myself.
NJ-NYK-17
Junior
And1: 431

Post#332 » by NJ-NYK-17 » Mon Jan 7, 2019 4:06 pm

I can't wait to watch KP KNOX MITCH playing together 2/3 years from now....could really be special
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#333 » by dakomish23 » Mon Jan 7, 2019 4:19 pm

TBri1974 wrote:

I mean, KP alone was an amazing draft class. Rare teams get talents like that. I agree that this bunch is exciting, I think all three have real potential. I also agree the signings - particularly Vonleh - was good as well.

Got WHG there too.

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,445

Post#334 » by robillionaire » Mon Jan 7, 2019 4:34 pm

Next year he’s coming back 6’10 slim trim buff cut ripped chiseled and jacked
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,153

Post#335 » by Capn'O » Mon Jan 7, 2019 4:36 pm

cgmw wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:
robillionaire wrote:

As Cookies noted, the part where you're going to have a hard time winning the argument of worst trade ever is the Hawks side.

Also props for Dirk staying with one team for 20 years. Luka could fall and break his adolescent pecker tomorrow or demand a trade in a couple years.

Tractor Traylor looked pretty good out of Michigan, but it's hard to see how Trae Young has a worse career.

ANYWHOOOOOOO... How about that Kevin Knox, huh?

This reminds me of:

https://politics.theonion.com/fact-checking-the-first-presidential-debate-1819594041

“[NAFTA] is the single worst trade deal ever approved in this country.” -Donald Trump

This is false. The worst trade deal in this country’s history was when the SuperSonics dealt Scottie Pippen to the Bulls for Olden Polynice.

Spoiler:
Though Parish and McHale for Joe Barry Carrol was probably worse
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,484

Post#336 » by RHODEY » Mon Jan 7, 2019 4:48 pm

robillionaire wrote:Next year he’s coming back 6’10 slim trim buff cut ripped chiseled and jacked

6'10"...damn that's Gallo territory.
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,633

Post#337 » by knicksNOTslick » Mon Jan 7, 2019 7:27 pm

If Knox bulks up, I hope he doesn't turn into Tim Thomas, who struggled with his shot after getting ripped in the offseason. Not too worried though because Tim didn't seem to have the desire or motivation to take the next step, that I think Knox has.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,762

Post#338 » by Jadoogar » Mon Jan 7, 2019 7:39 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
blanko wrote:
fatalogic wrote: I mean that’s kinda what the Hawks bet on.
You knew dallas was going to be better with signing DeAndre jordan and a high draft pick. They must have really underestimated luca. Lucas flas were treys flaws (a bit slow, bad defense) but at 6'8 instead of 6'.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk

I don't want to defend the trade since Luka is clearly a transcendent player but tbf to the Hawks, Mavs didn't have Deandre at the time of the trade. No one knew Luka was going to be this good so fast. Remember most rookies are net negatives on the court. They probably viewed Trae as a similar level player and were hoping for another top 10 pick.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#339 » by dakomish23 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:30 am

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#340 » by magnumt » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:07 am

dakomish23 wrote:
Read on Twitter

What exactly is the point of you rehashing this.! :-)

—Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6

Return to New York Knicks