ImageImageImageImageImage

2018-19 College/Draft Thread (Pt 3) - (#1 PHO, #2 NYK, #3 CLE)

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Who are you taking with the 2nd pick?

Barrett
43%
Reddish
18%
Porter Jr
No votes
Little
1%
Ja
25%
Garland
1%
Culver
5%
Langford
3%
Bol
1%
Other
3%

Total votes: 150

whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Re: 2018-19 College/Draft Thread (Pt 3) - (#1 NYK, T-#2 PHO/CLE, #3 CHI) 

Post#1581 » by whocares1 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:23 pm

Capn'O wrote:Under the radar aspect of the KP trade is we got rid of our expensive shooting guards leading up to a shooting guard rich draft. Obv. if you get pick 1 you take Zion but the odds are against that.

Yes but the 2 guard is the least impactful player in the starting lineup. That’s a spot that could be used on a free agent 3 and D.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,133

Post#1582 » by Capn'O » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:40 pm

whocares1 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:Under the radar aspect of the KP trade is we got rid of our expensive shooting guards leading up to a shooting guard rich draft. Obv. if you get pick 1 you take Zion but the odds are against that.

Yes but the 2 guard is the least impactful player in the starting lineup. That’s a spot that could be used on a free agent 3 and D.

I'm not sure what that means. There are a ton of really good shooting guards in the league right now. What it does is allow the Knicks more opportunity to go BPA if they don't get Zion.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#1583 » by Knicksfan1992 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:00 pm

whocares1 wrote:

Nah wings are the least replaceable position IMO. Teams legit need like 4-6 quality wings just to compete at a high level. No other position on the floor requires that much cover...

Honestly I think our target is going to be Barrett if we don't get Zion. I think Perry and Fiz are going to value his translatable size and decent athleticism (even if it's not all functional) and his potential creation abilities just based on how they've said tehy envision building the team out... Can't say I disagree with taking him at 2, but like others have parroted here you can make a bunch of cases for other guys in the top 10 to go number 2.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#1584 » by IllmaticHandler » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:21 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
whocares1 wrote:

Nah wings are the least replaceable position IMO. Teams legit need like 4-6 quality wings just to compete at a high level. No other position on the floor requires that much cover...

Honestly I think our target is going to be Barrett if we don't get Zion. I think Perry and Fiz are going to value his translatable size and decent athleticism (even if it's not all functional) and his potential creation abilities just based on how they've said tehy envision building the team out... Can't say I disagree with taking him at 2, but like others have parroted here you can make a bunch of cases for other guys in the top 10 to go number 2.

When we traded everyone I said the same thing. If he is on board he has the highest probability of the being the pick for us.

I am not super high on him cause of certain things, but I see the merits in having him...

Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,137

Post#1585 » by Tron Carter » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:14 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
whocares1 wrote:

When we traded everyone I said the same thing. If he is on board he has the highest probability of the being the pick for us.

I am not super high on him cause of certain things, but I see the merits in having him...

R.I.P Black Mamba
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#1586 » by WargamesX » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:19 pm

We come away with one of Zion, RJ, Cam, or Culver and I'm Happy. I would be happy with Ja too but we got DSJ and are trying for Kyrie.... It feels like a mistake to draft a PG and have a glut unless the FO feel's he'll develop into a superstar.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Post#1587 » by whocares1 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:57 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
whocares1 wrote:

I think the wing position would be the 3 for me and it would be a 3 that could play the 4 when teams go small. So with the importance of the 1 and 5, that would make the 2 the least valuable player in the starting lineup.

Im alright with Barret, but I see him as a 3.
awy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,341

Post#1588 » by awy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:04 pm

dogs with no defense are not that good.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#1589 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:27 pm

Capn'O wrote:
whocares1 wrote:

I'm not sure what that means. There are a ton of really good shooting guards in the league right now. What it does is allow the Knicks more opportunity to go BPA if they don't get Zion.

The most important positions in the NBA are some order of SF/SG/PG, where it doesn't matter, as long as they can create consistently for themselves, and others, at a high level. Meaning, if Donic or Harden is your "SG" (ok, Harden is actually listed as PG now) then the other guard can have less of that attribute. Or LeBron is your SF, or Pippen, or Bird...etc.

Figure the Knicks want to solve "creating and scoring" at SF - with Durant. Since Durant is a bit more "score", Knicks will need a PG with some creative skills. That's either Kyrie or DSJr or both - if they want DSJr to come off the bench. Given Kyrie's injury history, that might not be a bad idea. Now the SG could be a more "solid but not spectacular" guy, but of course, getting an awesome SG would be nice too. It's just less of a "need" if more scoring/some creating comes guaranteed from SF.
Knox obviously is a development piece/depth in that regard.

IF Perry had a long term goal, it was to stack up PG's with some creative ability as both a hedge against Kyrie not coming, but also for depth in a trade. So, while I would NOT like it, IF DSJr went in a trade, maybe Mudiay is resigned. They had given Burke a shot for some youthful-ish scoring/creation. Now Kadeem is added to depth behind Frank, so HE could go in a trade. Or not.

I see moves around a possible trade for AD, building some guard depth in general if Zion is the pick, or having a spot for a SG in a guard deep draft. Sort of all of the above.

Seems like a lot of moves made with the knowledge KD is coming, but Kyrie being less of a sure thing.

Basically, this season feels a lot like the Knicks are auditioning next year's bench
Knicksfan1992
RealGM

Post#1590 » by Knicksfan1992 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:50 pm

awy wrote:dogs with no defense are not that good.

Eh it's hard to get a full read of these kid's defenses in college nowadays. Duke plays a lot of zone which can naturally lead to laziness. Also they take on a major load of the offense which can lead to "plays off" and things of that nature... There are countless examples of guys who come into the league and their defensive effort is questioned and they come out and all of a sudden they flash some more defense their rookie year than they ever did in college. It's more important to parse out who has the physical capability of being a good defender than who is actually good at the college level IMO especially for the top guys. Barrett, physically, can be a good defender. 6'7" with a 6'10" wingspan, good frame that he'll be able to put even more muscle on. He'll be able to match up, physically, with like 95% of the wings in the league with those measurable right away. Just look at Lonzo and Tatum from 2 years ago as good examples of this.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#1591 » by IllmaticHandler » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:33 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:

Eh it's hard to get a full read of these kid's defenses in college nowadays. Duke plays a lot of zone which can naturally lead to laziness. Also they take on a major load of the offense which can lead to "plays off" and things of that nature... There are countless examples of guys who come into the league and their defensive effort is questioned and they come out and all of a sudden they flash some more defense their rookie year than they ever did in college. It's more important to parse out who has the physical capability of being a good defender than who is actually good at the college level IMO especially for the top guys. Barrett, physically, can be a good defender. 6'7" with a 6'10" wingspan, good frame that he'll be able to put even more muscle on. He'll be able to match up, physically, with like 95% of the wings in the league with those measurable right away. Just look at Lonzo and Tatum from 2 years ago as good examples of this.

Knicksfan1992
RealGM

Post#1592 » by Knicksfan1992 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:37 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

Man you know I was telling people they were being overly critical of Bags on D. He always had the tools and motor to be good on D. Just needs to be taught it.
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 7,889

Post#1593 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:23 am

Here’s RJ Barrett’s Triple double from the other night. I feel like he’s been really playing great the past few games and this triple double is a pretty amazing feat in college. IMO he’s starting to create a little more separation from the bunch of other guys you can take at two.
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
awy
Sixth Man

Post#1594 » by awy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:38 am

Knicksfan1992 wrote:

the problem with barrett on defense is mostly effort and decisionmaking. yes, duke and kentucky etc make players look worse than they may be, but barrett has low STOCK numbers in the vein of knox. the team defense decisionmaking is just so bad here that it's more than lack of effort, and that may be a flaw that will persist. with most guys who are masked by duke's system, you can tell if they are good at defense through scouting. WCJ and zion are guys who rate highly on team defense, while barrett and bagley are garbage. these tags tend to stay accurate.

he's also not very quick laterally so while he's strong enough there's not this stopper physical profile there either.
islanders11040
Head Coach
And1: 6,928

Post#1595 » by islanders11040 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:00 am

Romeo Langford's defense is underrated.
islanders11040
Head Coach
And1: 6,928

Post#1596 » by islanders11040 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:05 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
awy
Sixth Man

Post#1597 » by awy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:59 am

romeo is fine too i think. smart player with finishing craft. shot seems improving.
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 4,030

Post#1598 » by Besart19 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:19 am

whocares1 wrote:

In the 90’s it was the MVP(position)

Jordan
Petrovic
Drexler
Houston
Miller
Richmond
Rice
Hardaway
Sprewell
Johnson
Strength and Honour!
mrpoetryNmotion
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,118

Post#1599 » by mrpoetryNmotion » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:50 am

I honestly like Langford more than I like Culver. Dude is just smooth and composed and unrattled. Shooting form is ehh but he is making it work for now (tends to load the ball behind his head/center of gravity). Reminds me of Pierce a little bit in terms of not being the fastest or most athletic, but always seems to find a way to his spots and doesn't seem off balance when scoring in traffic. Wonder how his interior finishing ability will translate against taller more athletic NBA players.
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#1600 » by Jose7 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:07 am

Culver is way bigger than that listed 6'5..he looks 6'7, 6'8..he's huge out there. Has every move in the book. Post ups, spot up, jab right, jab left, can move off the ball.. He doesn't have elite speed but his pace and change of space is awesome..
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson

Return to New York Knicks