ImageImageImageImageImage

Is 3 max spots possible?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

BB_Fan
Junior
And1: 52

Re: Is 3 max spots possible? 

Post#161 » by BB_Fan » Sun Feb 3, 2019 9:51 pm

Pelicans (demps) is a joke if he trades AD before Free Agency next year. He can wait till next year free agency to start a bidding war for AD. I hope someone in NO puts some sense on his head.
denterprise
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#162 » by denterprise » Sun Feb 3, 2019 11:18 pm

BB_Fan wrote:Pelicans (demps) is a joke if he trades AD before Free Agency next year. He can wait till next year free agency to start a bidding war for AD. I hope someone in NO puts some sense on his head.

Davis will be a free agent in 2020. Yes, they can wait until next year this time but not even the Lakers will be offering much at that time when they can get him for nothing in the Summer of 2020.
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Post#163 » by Besart19 » Sun Feb 3, 2019 11:37 pm

Robinson / Vonleh / Kornet
Williamson / Knox / Thomas
Durant / Dotson / Hezonja
Ntilikina / Trier / Korver
Irving / Smith / Teodosic

Golden State might trade Green and Klay for Davis and Holiday

Cousins
Davis
Iguodala
Curry
Holiday

We might win the east easily but still have 4 super teams in the West
Strength and Honour!
BB_Fan
Junior
And1: 52

Post#164 » by BB_Fan » Mon Feb 4, 2019 1:10 am

denterprise wrote:
BB_Fan wrote:Pelicans (demps) is a joke if he trades AD before Free Agency next year. He can wait till next year free agency to start a bidding war for AD. I hope someone in NO puts some sense on his head.

Davis will be a free agent in 2020. Yes, they can wait until next year this time but not even the Lakers will be offering much at that time when they can get him for nothing in the Summer of 2020.

There will be a bidding war among Nets,Clippers,Lakers,Knicks, Boston for AD during free agency. Other teams might also get involved .

If AD decides to opt out in 2020 which team will he sign with. All of the teams in Big Market have cap space this summer and will use Cap space to compete. LeBron is getting old and Lakers need to bring him reinforcements in summer.
The next big free agent is Greek Freak and Joel Embiid.
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#165 » by DowNY » Mon Feb 4, 2019 2:09 am

Hopefully the Pelicans don’t cave with Lakers.

Lakers would be going into free agency with Lebron, AD & a max spot. You know Lebron is gonna target either Kyrie, Klay or Kawhi. Kemba would probably be a dark horse option because Lebron likes Kemba. But yeah....I don’t wanna lose Kyrie to LA.
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,061

Post#166 » by Jeffrey » Mon Feb 4, 2019 2:18 am

denterprise wrote:

Lakers can wait but LeGM's time is ticking and just turned 34. By the time he gets to play with AD if he walks is when Lebron will be will be on his 3rd year of his contract and turning 36. I doubt Lebron will wait for this.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,942

Post#167 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Feb 4, 2019 11:25 am

cgmw wrote:Here’s what everyone seems to be missing about the “3 max” possibilities — the third player doesn’t have to be Anthony Davis.

The Knicks should be able to create a ~$28-30mm matching package strong enough for any of these trades:

Beal
Lillard
Conley
Wall
Jrue
Lowry
Griffin
Aldridge
Love
Wiggins

Anyone in that salary range on a team looking to blow it up with 4 recent lotto picks (Knox, DSJ, Frank, and whomever we take 2019).

This could be a major selling point to whatever buddy-buddy Max combo considering a MSG takeover.

Beal is the only one on that list you trade for.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,539

Post#168 » by cgmw » Mon Feb 4, 2019 11:32 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
cgmw wrote:Here’s what everyone seems to be missing about the “3 max” possibilities — the third player doesn’t have to be Anthony Davis.

The Knicks should be able to create a ~$28-30mm matching package strong enough for any of these trades:

Beal
Lillard
Conley
Wall
Jrue
Lowry
Griffin
Aldridge
Love
Wiggins

Anyone in that salary range on a team looking to blow it up with 4 recent lotto picks (Knox, DSJ, Frank, and whomever we take 2019).

This could be a major selling point to whatever buddy-buddy Max combo considering a MSG takeover.

What if they include next year’s #1?

Ex: Griffin + 2020 #1

An unprotected #1 from a rebuilding team would be a valuable chip.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,642

Post#169 » by peZt » Mon Feb 4, 2019 12:57 pm

If KD and Kyrie would sign with the Knicks regardless of AD, I would not trade Zion. Instead save the cap space and all those assets and use them to trade for a 3rd star like Beal. To me Zion + Beal > AD

Kyrie
Beal
Durant
Zion
Robinson
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#170 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Feb 4, 2019 1:09 pm

cgmw wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

Beal
Lillard
Conley
Wall
Jrue
Lowry
Griffin
Aldridge
Love
Wiggins

that's the kind of asset acquisition teams need to think of. good point. if knicks wanted to compete and add, they could take on salaries in trade and get paid for their trouble.

griffin is the kind of player whose contract could help you while you're in your contention window and give you a little something extra from the team looking for relief.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,328

Post#171 » by drekwins » Mon Feb 4, 2019 1:39 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:

Beal
Lillard
Conley
Wall
Jrue
Lowry
Griffin
Aldridge
Love
Wiggins

Eh it depends. Beal is very good and obviously a nice piece to add. Lillard is a star and VERY good. He's just as good as any PG in the league not named Curry. Conley is a great piece to add if you already have 2-3 great pieces and need a PG. For instance, SA would be a great situation. Utah is a good situation. Milwaukee would be a great acquisition because theyd probably become the favorites to come out of the east. Indiana would make sense. Jrue is pretty much the same except very young and can play next to great PGs. I could see OKC take a stab. He fits their culture. SA, Mil, Phily as well. He is essentially useful to every team. Everyone else... no way. Run.
drekwins
Head Coach

Post#172 » by drekwins » Mon Feb 4, 2019 1:41 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
cgmw wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

that's the kind of asset acquisition teams need to think of. good point. if knicks wanted to compete and add, they could take on salaries in trade and get paid for their trouble.

griffin is the kind of player whose contract could help you while you're in your contention window and give you a little something extra from the team looking for relief.

When the time comes, absolutely. We just can't commit the space until we know the other guys aren't coming. Plan B, C, D, etc. are solid. We're not in a bad spot. We could certainly take on assets, become an 8 seed and still draft high from the assets of others (i.e. - Washington). It's not plan A or B but it's a solid plan nonetheless.
DowNY
RealGM

Post#173 » by DowNY » Mon Feb 4, 2019 1:51 pm

Isn’t Blake a free agent this off-season? We talking sign & trades for a 3rd star?
I get flashbacks of Amar’e with Blake Griffin. Literally think he’s playing at a high level for that last big contract. Not sold on him & not willing to dish a 4 yr deal to him.

If we land KD & Kyrie & don’t land the 1st pick....I’d look for sign & trades for other free agents.

Say we land RJ Barrett. Say KD & Cousins are already signed elsewhere (KD here of course :D ) & Klay drags his feet in free agency....would it be out the realm for the Warriors to turn down a package of RJ Barrett, DSJr, Frank & Knox for Klay? Instead of possibly losing everyone for just cap space. Then the Warriors can go out and try to trade Draymond before he has zero value heading into his free agency.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#174 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Feb 4, 2019 1:52 pm

drekwins wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

Beal
Lillard
Conley
Wall
Jrue
Lowry
Griffin
Aldridge
Love
Wiggins

Eh it depends. Beal is very good and obviously a nice piece to add. Lillard is a star and VERY good. He's just as good as any PG in the league not named Curry. Conley is a great piece to add if you already have 2-3 great pieces and need a PG. For instance, SA would be a great situation. Utah is a good situation. Milwaukee would be a great acquisition because theyd probably become the favorites to come out of the east. Indiana would make sense. Jrue is pretty much the same except very young and can play next to great PGs. I could see OKC take a stab. He fits their culture. SA, Mil, Phily as well. He is essentially useful to every team. Everyone else... no way. Run.

lillard is a scoring guard being called a point guard by default. he gives up a ton on the defensive end. theoretically, this team would have a lot of firepower. i don't see how he would be a good fit.

if you need him to be the firepower, then cool. can you ask dame to be the primary facilitator? and if that's what you need, i'd think there are less costly options that fit just as well or better.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#175 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Feb 4, 2019 1:53 pm

DowNY wrote:Isn’t Blake a free agent this off-season? We talking sign & trades for a 3rd star?
I get flashbacks of Amar’e with Blake Griffin. Literally think he’s playing at a high level for that last big contract. Not sold on him & not willing to dish a 4 yr deal to him.

If we land KD & Kyrie & don’t land the 1st pick....I’d look for sign & trades for other free agents.

Say we land RJ Barrett. Say KD & Cousins are already signed elsewhere (KD here of course :D ) & Klay drags his feet in free agency....would it be out the realm for the Warriors to turn down a package of RJ Barrett, DSJr, Frank & Knox for Klay? Instead of possibly losing everyone for just cap space. Then the Warriors can go out and try to trade Draymond before he has zero value heading into his free agency.

lol. blake griffin has a MONSTER extension. on the hook for stupid paper through 2022. approaching john wall bad.

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/detroit_pistons/
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
DowNY
RealGM

Post#176 » by DowNY » Mon Feb 4, 2019 1:55 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
DowNY wrote:Isn’t Blake a free agent this off-season? We talking sign & trades for a 3rd star?

lol. blake griffin has a MONSTER extension. on the hook for stupid paper through 2022. approaching john wall bad.

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/detroit_pistons/

Ooooooh!!! hell nah fam!! :lol:
DowNY
RealGM

Post#177 » by DowNY » Mon Feb 4, 2019 2:05 pm

If the Pelicans don’t trade AD to LA now, what does Magic & Lebron do?
Shut Bron down?
Waste some prospects on another trade like Beal?
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,539

Post#178 » by cgmw » Mon Feb 4, 2019 2:30 pm

drekwins wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
cgmw wrote:What if they include next year’s #1?

When the time comes, absolutely. We just can't commit the space until we know the other guys aren't coming. Plan B, C, D, etc. are solid. We're not in a bad spot. We could certainly take on assets, become an 8 seed and still draft high from the assets of others (i.e. - Washington). It's not plan A or B but it's a solid plan nonetheless.

Exactly, hence the subject of this thread: 3 max contracts. The KP trade has opened all sorts of scenarios and possibilities, well beyond Anthony Davis.

Perry shouldn’t mortgage the future on a big contract veteran unless it helps secure 2 max free agents.

For example, as part of the agreement to sign Durant/Kyrie, Perry works out a separate deal to mortgage assets for Blake or Kevin Love.

Or Durant/Kawhi and a deal for Beal or Lillard, etc.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
drekwins
Head Coach

Post#179 » by drekwins » Mon Feb 4, 2019 2:34 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
drekwins wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

lillard is a scoring guard being called a point guard by default. he gives up a ton on the defensive end. theoretically, this team would have a lot of firepower. i don't see how he would be a good fit.

if you need him to be the firepower, then cool. can you ask dame to be the primary facilitator? and if that's what you need, i'd think there are less costly options that fit just as well or better.

I think that it all depends on how good the overall team defense is. It says a lot to me how successful Portland has been in the packed West with him at the helm. After Aldridge left and prior to McCollum's emergance, he was really their only good offensive option. Overall, I don't disagree with you but looking at the big picture, there's not many options. There's only a few true PGs nowadays that are good enough to be a major piece on a championship team that doesn't feature LeBron/Curry (CP3, Lowry, Conley):

TIER ONE
Curry - AST:TO - 1.85, TS% - 66.6, 3P% - 45.1
CP3 - AST:TO - 3.57, TS% - 60.4, 3P% - 38.0

TIER TWO
Lowry - AST:TO - 2.93, TS% - 59.8, 3P% - 39.9
Kyrie - AST:TO - 2.54, TS% - 60.5, 3P% - 40.8

TIER THREE
Lillard - AST:TO - 2.25, TS% - 59.2, 3P% - 37.2

TIER FOUR
Conley - AST:TO - 3.35, TS% - 55.9, 3P% - 35.9
Holiday - AST:TO - 2.28, TS% - 57.0, 3P% - 33.1
Westbrook - AST:TO - 2.46, TS% - 48.2, 3P% - 25.0

TIER FIVE
Kemba - Ast:TO - 2.2, TS% - 55.8%, 3P% - 35.9
Wall - AST:TO - 2.31, TS% - 52.7, 3P% - 30.2

KNICKS
DSJ - AST:TO - 1.85 (last year as PG), TS% - 52.2, 3P% - 34.4

I think that our best options are as follows:
1) Sign Kyrie
2) Get Lillard, if possible and reasonable (he's the closest thing to that top Tier)
3) Trust in the development of DSJ and Frank (over time, DSJ has a reasonable chance to reach the Tier 5 or 4 level)
4) Draft Morant and hope that he's the answer
5) Bring in a vet who plays well above his league value (Conley, Holiday)

The worst thing that we could do is go get Kemba on a 32.7M starting salary and then have him outplayed or matched by guys like Conley, etc. If that's the case, I would rather build the rest of our roster fist with max-type guys and then take on a Conley-type salary by sending Memphis some assets. Perhaps Kahwi leaves Toronto and they find DSJ interesting enough to trade us Lowry if we obtain KD and Klay. I doubt they'd trade us Lowry if we end up with Kawhi and we wouldn't want him if we end up with Kyrie.
KNIXFAN_83
Analyst
And1: 1,320

Post#180 » by KNIXFAN_83 » Mon Feb 4, 2019 2:38 pm

For the first time since I have been watching the Knicks they literally have a direction on how they want to build a roster that can win.

Return to New York Knicks