ImageImageImageImageImage

Deandre Jordan Discussion

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Re: Deandre Jordan Discussion 

Post#81 » by newyorker4ever » Mon Feb 4, 2019 4:01 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
We have to renounce their rights to sign 2 max cats. There cap hold will be greater then whatever they sign for so there is not much advantage to having their rights.

Ya. That was sort of a basic question. I forgot to GET the cap room, they had to renounce first. Like Mudiay etc.

If I were the Knicks, and they got lucky and drafted Zion, I'd try very hard to get Brook Lopez to sign to split time at C with Mitch.

that just cost you a +1 and earned you a side eye. :lol:

I don't think signing Brook is a horrible idea. He's become a pretty damn good 3 point shooter for a big guy and is still good around the basket with rebounding and put backs. He's still only like 31-32 yrs old to i think. D.Jordan has supposedly already said he wants to go back to LA.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#82 » by NYKAL » Mon Feb 4, 2019 4:04 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Ya. That was sort of a basic question. I forgot to GET the cap room, they had to renounce first. Like Mudiay etc.

If I were the Knicks, and they got lucky and drafted Zion, I'd try very hard to get Brook Lopez to sign to split time at C with Mitch.

I don't think signing Brook is a horrible idea. He's become a pretty damn good 3 point shooter for a big guy and is still good around the basket with rebounding and put backs. He's still only like 31-32 yrs old to i think. D.Jordan has supposedly already said he wants to go back to LA.

I read on hoopshype that he stated a desire to stay in NY past this season.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#83 » by newyorker4ever » Mon Feb 4, 2019 4:05 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
ItsPajama wrote:
Juco24 wrote:
I don't think ANYONE is suggesting giving him the max... someone hasn't been paying attention to this thread. j/k

You're right about that tbh

i'm paying attention. i think the MLE thing is a very tall ask. he's getting paid pretty well right now. this may be his last opportunity to continue to do so. i would think he'd want a starting salary commensurate with what he is getting in the way of cap percentage when he signed.

maybe rephrase? are you comfortable with KD and deandre being your major free agent acquitisions as opposed to KD and another max player? i think deandre costs you that opportunity, and i'm not sure how geeked i am about getting KD alone and basically spending most of the other max slot on deandre.

Hellz no do you give D.Jordan anything even close to a max contract. That would be a horrible decision.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#84 » by newyorker4ever » Mon Feb 4, 2019 4:06 pm

NYKAL wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

Who really knows which is true.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/252482/DeAndre-Jordan-Would-Like-Return-To-Los-Angeles
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,125

Post#85 » by Juco24 » Mon Feb 4, 2019 4:08 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Lol. And I alway yell "Broke Lopez!" when he's playing.

I look at it like this. IF DJ wants to team up with BFF KD and take a huge paycut, which nothing in his career has ever indicated, then while I think that's a pretty good C to team with Mitch, I'm not totally sold on it. I get that DJ is basically the matured version of what Mitch might become (unless Mitch really can add all that shooting, moves etc), but for now, and probably a couple of seasons, it's playing 48 mpg with essentially the same kind of C. Only DJ has kind of been going downhill slowly defensively. Anway, it'd fit the "solid vet C with some defense" who might be cheap.

David West, Karl Malone, Alonzo Mourning, Barkley, etc are examples of guys in the latter years of good/great careers who decided to take less to contend. These guys are already rich - with only a title left to cement their careers. I think he might just take less to play alongside his buddy, contend for a title and play for a players coach. Then, as stated, he can teach Mitch in the process. :pray:
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#86 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Feb 4, 2019 4:14 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

I look at it like this. IF DJ wants to team up with BFF KD and take a huge paycut, which nothing in his career has ever indicated, then while I think that's a pretty good C to team with Mitch, I'm not totally sold on it. I get that DJ is basically the matured version of what Mitch might become (unless Mitch really can add all that shooting, moves etc), but for now, and probably a couple of seasons, it's playing 48 mpg with essentially the same kind of C. Only DJ has kind of been going downhill slowly defensively. Anway, it'd fit the "solid vet C with some defense" who might be cheap.

And sure, Kornet gives them that other look, spacing, but c'mon. Kornet not really cutting it against better teams with better bigs. We got aspirations now.

Broke gives the 3 point shooting that provides a different look from Mitch, plus opens the floor for Zion to operate in the post, as Zion would be the only low post threat on the team. That's another concern. Broke can also function in a competent NBA way in the low post for 15-20 mpg. He can also still defend, some.

What's the alternative? Could also go with Nerlens Noel and feature 48 mpg of two raw gangly f*cks blocking everything in sight, but not providing anything on offense but alley opps and putbacks.

It's one of the interesting questions around the "Get KD and Kyrie". Need capable backup PF and C. Not the end of the world, but they vary in price and some are better than others and some are better fits than others.

On a side note, there's lots of "When Zion gets here" speculation, and the roster around it - hell, I just did it, but the ODDS are the knicks pick somewhere 2-6, and every player projected there right now is a SG, and a couple (or one) PG.

Would be kind of interesting to see more talk around who the Knicks draft around 4, who that might be, and why a good fit with DSJr, but no Kyrie, Kyrie but no DSJr (moved in trade), etc etc, and then the implications on Trier and Frank.

brook lopez's evolution has been overlooked. he is a very skilled and complete scorer from the 5. his defense still isn't good, but he has committed on that end.

i'd rather take another cheap trash man big for the kind of group we're talking about than a more expensive scoring threat that leaves something to be desired on the other end of the floor. mitch could be ready in another year or so. i like deandre as a transition for cheap. i just don't see why he'd do it for cheap. i wouldn't.

Broke might try to cash in one last time, but I think his pay is low this year for the Bucks. Then again, he's doing well there, they are good, he'd probably stay.
Juco24
Lead Assistant

Post#87 » by Juco24 » Mon Feb 4, 2019 4:15 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
ItsPajama wrote:
You're right about that tbh

i'm paying attention. i think the MLE thing is a very tall ask. he's getting paid pretty well right now. this may be his last opportunity to continue to do so. i would think he'd want a starting salary commensurate with what he is getting in the way of cap percentage when he signed.

maybe rephrase? are you comfortable with KD and deandre being your major free agent acquitisions as opposed to KD and another max player? i think deandre costs you that opportunity, and i'm not sure how geeked i am about getting KD alone and basically spending most of the other max slot on deandre.

Hellz no do you give D.Jordan anything even close to a max contract. That would be a horrible decision.

I see what you're saying JVG as this may be his last chance to GET PAID but I think it depends on him... his upper shelf play is not what it used to be and I just couldn't justify signing him to a huge contract at this stage of his career. I'd be afraid he'd be another Jerome James.... okay not that bad but you get what I'm saying. Lol
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,967

Post#88 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Feb 4, 2019 4:16 pm

Juco24 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

David West, Karl Malone, Alonzo Mourning, Barkley, etc are examples of guys in the latter years of good/great careers who decided to take less to contend. These guys are already rich - with only a title left to cement their careers. I think he might just take less to play alongside his buddy, contend for a title and play for a players coach. Then, as stated, he can teach Mitch in the process. :pray:

bruh.

every player you mentioned was older and more washed than deandre. and RARE. there is a LOT of money out there.

there are ring chasers. always will be. forcing deandre into that box could be a stretch is all i'm saying. i think he could get another 4-year deal for north of $75m no problem in this cap. or less years for higher starting salary than that.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#89 » by WargamesX » Mon Feb 4, 2019 4:19 pm

Clippers could get him back this season for a 2nd rounder.......
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
Juco24
Lead Assistant

Post#90 » by Juco24 » Mon Feb 4, 2019 4:24 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Juco24 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

bruh.

every player you mentioned was older and more washed than deandre. and RARE. there is a LOT of money out there.

there are ring chasers. always will be. forcing deandre into that box could be a stretch is all i'm saying. i think he could get another 4-year deal for north of $75m no problem in this cap. or less years for higher starting salary than that.

Very true, absolutely - just saying that he might be willing to sacrifice... what's the MLE? around 8 mil? While not probable - it might be possible to entice DJ to take the MLE for reasons stated. And if he doesn't take that (and I'm sure no one could blame him if he didn't) then the Knicks move on. At his current skill level - honestly, he's not worth the Knicks signing to a huge long-term deal.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#91 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Feb 4, 2019 4:27 pm

Juco24 wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Juco24 wrote:

bruh.

Very true, absolutely - just saying that he might be willing to sacrifice... what's the MLE? around 8 mil? While not probable - it might be possible to entice DJ to take the MLE for reasons stated. And if he doesn't take that (and I'm sure no one could blame him if he didn't) then the Knicks move on. At his current skill level - honestly, he's not worth the Knicks signing to a huge long-term deal.

i'd love it. i'd give him the MLE in that situation no prob. 2-year with a player option. i'd sell him that we can keep his bird rights and extend him or go over cap to pay him more in this contention window. i'm sure dolan would spare no expense for NBA history.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#92 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Feb 4, 2019 4:30 pm

WargamesX wrote:Clippers could get him back this season for a 2nd rounder.......

word. lol. easy.

but, this an interesting wrinkle. if him staying in NY and liking his time there helps land KD, you might just rock with it.

it's a weird potential courting by proxy, but deandre being able to tell KD that NY has a plan and a good situation can help bring it all together. especially if deandre is willing to take an MLE one year just to make it fit and get extended on the back end.

who's his agent now? lol.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,314

Post#93 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Feb 4, 2019 4:32 pm

Juco24 wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
Juco24 wrote:

bruh.

We would only have the room exception for $4.5mil assuming we use cap space
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#94 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Feb 4, 2019 4:35 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Juco24 wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
bruh.

We would only have the room exception for $4.5mil assuming we use cap space

oh, yeah. he ain't doing that. :lol: clippers?! :lol:
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
BeagleBoss
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#95 » by BeagleBoss » Mon Feb 4, 2019 5:25 pm

KD and Kyrie are going to want vets to play with. You can't have 2 Super Stars and a bunch of just young players. Jordan is a nice veteran at the right price.
KnicksManiac
RealGM
And1: 952

Post#96 » by KnicksManiac » Mon Feb 4, 2019 6:30 pm

Just posted this on the trade board. I wonder if both teams would do this...

Knicks Trade: DeAndre Jordan, Emmanuel Mudiay
Bucks Trade: George Hill, Jason Smith, 2019 First Round Pick (currently projected to be last in the first round)

I guess the Knicks could throw in Noah Vonleh as well if that helps move the needle.

This is pretty simple:

Bucks: The Bucks significantly improve their 2019 roster as they attempt to win the championship.
Knicks: The Knicks don't add any future salary (Hill's contract is not guaranteed) and they get another first round pick.
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#97 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Mon Feb 4, 2019 6:36 pm

KnicksManiac wrote:Just posted this on the trade board. I wonder if both teams would do this...

Bucks Trade: George Hill, Jason Smith, 2019 First Round Pick (currently projected to be last in the first round)

I guess the Knicks could throw in Noah Vonleh as well if that helps move the needle.

This is pretty simple:

Bucks: The Bucks significantly improve their 2019 roster as they attempt to win the championship.
Knicks: The Knicks don't add any future salary (Hill's contract is not guaranteed) and they get another first round pick.

I'd be good with that.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#98 » by NoLayupRule » Mon Feb 4, 2019 6:36 pm

KnicksManiac wrote:Just posted this on the trade board. I wonder if both teams would do this...

This is pretty simple:

looks perfect!

costs them nothing significant moving forward - no salary and a late pick - and significantly upgrades their roster today

I wonder if they would give us Thon instead of that 1st and if so how that might affect our cap

Id hold Vonleh back if possible to continue to develop and retain this summer, even if its just for that minimal cap hold
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#99 » by NoLayupRule » Mon Feb 4, 2019 6:38 pm

BeagleBoss wrote:KD and Kyrie are going to want vets to play with. You can't have 2 Super Stars and a bunch of just young players. Jordan is a nice veteran at the right price.

Agreed except that Jordan wont be at the right price

he's never been less than a major salary player
he's too good

someone will offer him 20mil
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 127,000

Post#100 » by god shammgod » Mon Feb 4, 2019 6:38 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
NYKAL wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Who really knows which is true.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/252482/DeAndre-Jordan-Would-Like-Return-To-Los-Angeles

the article this links to
https://www.latimes.com/sports/nba/la-sp-nba-fastbreak-20190202-story.html

it has no source to this info so who knows. it also says that timmy is not just a throw in.

Return to New York Knicks