ImageImageImageImageImage

PG Thread: Welcome to Tank City

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,975

Re: PG Thread: Welcome to Tank City 

Post#221 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Feb 6, 2019 4:47 pm

robillionaire wrote:I could see Frank sitting out with the injury until after the all-star break (if he isn't traded by tomorrow). Which is unfortunate because I really want to see him out there.

what trade you think the knicks are trying to make?
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,447

Post#222 » by robillionaire » Wed Feb 6, 2019 4:57 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
robillionaire wrote:I could see Frank sitting out with the injury until after the all-star break (if he isn't traded by tomorrow). Which is unfortunate because I really want to see him out there.

I've been thinking about this, can't really come up with anything. We have no more salary to dump. I thought maybe they move him and someone else for Fultz but I don't think the Knicks want the extra salary. :lol:

If anybody else knows any hypothetical Frank trade that makes sense feel free to chime in
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#223 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Feb 6, 2019 5:54 pm

robillionaire wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

I've been thinking about this, can't really come up with anything. We have no more salary to dump. I thought maybe they move him and someone else for Fultz but I don't think the Knicks want the extra salary. :lol:

If anybody else knows any hypothetical Frank trade that makes sense feel free to chime in

yeah. i think we've effectively torn it down to the studs here. any trades would be to add talent at this point. and now is not the time for that.

offseason, i could see something going down involving any and/or all of what's in our cupboard.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,137

Post#224 » by Tron Carter » Wed Feb 6, 2019 6:01 pm

robillionaire wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

there are no hypotheticals worth trading frank for that are realistic that’s why.

his detractors wanted to include him in a deal just to dump lee or timmy’s contract but that’s already done.

so now it’s just “well dsj is better so let’s just get rid of frank... just because”. as if having him on the team is going to prevent the knicks from their greater goal. it’s all nonsense.
R.I.P Black Mamba
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Post#225 » by whocares1 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 6:02 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
shmeakone wrote:His strength and body control are really impressive.

I only see him getting stronger and stronger. A prime Baron Davis comparison isn't out of the question.

I think we've got our PG of the future.

baron davis is a hell of a comparison and ceiling for him. i like it much better than derrick rose.

Baron Davis had better handles and better vision than DSJ. Davis’ flair for the game was up there too. I don’t see the comparison besides body type and athleticism.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,447

Post#226 » by robillionaire » Wed Feb 6, 2019 6:02 pm

Tron Carter wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

there are no hypotheticals worth trading frank for that are realistic that’s why.

his detractors wanted to include him in a deal just to dump lee or timmy’s contract but that’s already done.

so now it’s just “well dsj is better so let’s just get rid of frank... just because”. as if having him on the team is going to prevent the knicks from their greater goal. it’s all nonsense.

I like frank. I hope he stays. I’m just saying if you assume the Knicks are done with him for whatever reason, what would they want
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,070

Post#227 » by GONYK » Wed Feb 6, 2019 6:30 pm

I see absolutely no reason to be in a rush to trade Frank.

If the right deal comes along? Sure.

But to actively move him? That makes no sense.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#228 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Feb 6, 2019 6:34 pm

whocares1 wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
shmeakone wrote:His strength and body control are really impressive.

I only see him getting stronger and stronger. A prime Baron Davis comparison isn't out of the question.

I think we've got our PG of the future.

baron davis is a hell of a comparison and ceiling for him. i like it much better than derrick rose.

Baron Davis had better handles and better vision than DSJ. Davis’ flair for the game was up there too. I don’t see the comparison besides body type and athleticism.

i think they are significant in that way. i agree that baron had those advantages.

i think baron davis is a good ceiling for DSJ to aspire to. that or dame dolla, but he's not that kind of a shooter.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#229 » by Knicksfan1992 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 6:36 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Couldn't the counter argument be made that the Knicks are actually utilizing him correctly unlike the Mavs and that to maximize Smith's value to the team it's better to get him in P&R more often?
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,831

Post#230 » by spree2kawhi » Wed Feb 6, 2019 8:16 pm

kane2021 wrote:Smith has also looked pretty good on defense. At the least looks engaged.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Like on that Reggie Bullock backdoor cut that was actually so blatantly through the middle past DSJ that you'd need to call it the "hot dog in a hallway cut". Smith has a lot of Streetball issues/ holes to this game and I haven't seen many winning basketball attributes with him.
At the same time I'm still checking whether Frank is an NBA player at all, so I've naturally been watching Smith since his rookie year. Not too impressed.
Shot not there, defense only relies on athleticism, dribbles the ball too long especially once he gets it back. But he tries hard and there's no denying the physical tools.
spree2kawhi
RealGM

Post#231 » by spree2kawhi » Wed Feb 6, 2019 8:21 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
F N 11 wrote:DSJ has done things in 2 games that I have rarely seen from ANY of our point guards since Jeremy Lin. He finds guys period. He has a lot of room to grow. If Mudiay was allowed to shoot even tho his jump shot was not a strength then so should Jr. 8 if his 11 made field goals were in the paint.

Frank has a lot of work to do on the offensive end. In the mean time maybe getting some open shots and driving lanes open up Bc of DSJ can help him. He can focus on helping Dennis run the offense and play Defense. If we are trying to build a top Defense trading Frank is a mistake. Numbers don’t lie. I’m a Frank guy and I’m not trashing either guy. I swear people just wanna thrash 20 year olds for fun.

ALL our young guys have potential. Support them and let them develop.

what if i told you...

frank and DSJ could help each other? :lol:

I'd love for that to be true, but both are terrible shooters considering the modern standard and only Frank can defend. What Smith brings isn't something a very strong team really needs. I realize that's the **** standpoint here and I'll be flamed for that - but I'd trade Smith as long as people don't exactly realize why or that his style is ineffective.
Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,870

Post#232 » by Spree2Houston » Wed Feb 6, 2019 8:21 pm

They won't trade Frank until the offseason when they'll have a better idea of how the team will be constituted.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#233 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Feb 6, 2019 8:29 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
F N 11 wrote:DSJ has done things in 2 games that I have rarely seen from ANY of our point guards since Jeremy Lin. He finds guys period. He has a lot of room to grow. If Mudiay was allowed to shoot even tho his jump shot was not a strength then so should Jr. 8 if his 11 made field goals were in the paint.

Frank has a lot of work to do on the offensive end. In the mean time maybe getting some open shots and driving lanes open up Bc of DSJ can help him. He can focus on helping Dennis run the offense and play Defense. If we are trying to build a top Defense trading Frank is a mistake. Numbers don’t lie. I’m a Frank guy and I’m not trashing either guy. I swear people just wanna thrash 20 year olds for fun.

ALL our young guys have potential. Support them and let them develop.

what if i told you...

I'd love for that to be true, but both are terrible shooters considering the modern standard and only Frank can defend. What Smith brings isn't something a very strong team really needs. I realize that's the **** standpoint here and I'll be flamed for that - but I'd trade Smith as long as people don't exactly realize why or that his style is ineffective.

i really believe that if nothing else, frank's jumper is coming. and i still think it's too early to give up on him.

my wife says, "just like you held out for shumpert." to which i say that's fair, but remember that frank will be in his third season at the age shump was even drafted.

she is also convinced frank is a virgin.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
spree2kawhi
RealGM

Post#234 » by spree2kawhi » Wed Feb 6, 2019 9:01 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
what if i told you...

i really believe that if nothing else, frank's jumper is coming. and i still think it's too early to give up on him.

my wife says, "just like you held out for shumpert." to which i say that's fair, but remember that frank will be in his third season at the age shump was even drafted.

I'm a teacher. He's as old as my students. I refer to them as children even in their presence. They are.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,388

Post#235 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Feb 6, 2019 9:53 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

i think they are significant in that way. i agree that baron had those advantages.

i think baron davis is a good ceiling for DSJ to aspire to. that or dame dolla, but he's not that kind of a shooter.

Baren Davids needs to be mentioned as well.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,388

Post#236 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Feb 6, 2019 9:57 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
what if i told you...

He was until Rebecca cornered him in the hotel bar on that road trip.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#237 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Feb 6, 2019 11:07 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
whocares1 wrote:

Baren Davids needs to be mentioned as well.

shame on me
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,217

Post#238 » by aq_ua » Thu Feb 7, 2019 3:44 am

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Couldn't the counter argument be made that the Knicks are actually utilizing him correctly unlike the Mavs and that to maximize Smith's value to the team it's better to get him in P&R more often?

We have Smith as the primary ball handler whereas he was the secondary handler behind Doncic in Dallas. Naturally, he’ll look better in his comfortable position as primary. The good news is that his decision making has been better than I expected, although he does really need work on his shooting.

Return to New York Knicks