ImageImageImageImageImage

Post-deadline thoughts

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Re: Post dead-line thoughts 

Post#41 » by newyorker4ever » Fri Feb 8, 2019 2:42 pm

FatboyRealPetty wrote:F*ck kanter, hardaway, porzingis, Janis, Burke, lee and Matthews

I'd leave Lee and Mathews out of that. C.Lee stayed a professional his whole time with us even having to sit on the bench this year when he's a much better player then many of the young kids that were playing instead of him and W.Mathews has always been a true professional. Those are two guys i would love to have on this team if we get 2-3 max guys and we're looking around the league to fill out the rest of the roster with vets that will sign minimum contracts to come to a team and make a playoff and championship run. Mathews is still only 30 or 31 so he's probably still gonna get $8-$10 mil per from someone on like a 2-3 year deal cause he's still a good 3-D guy but C.Lee is about ready to be one of those players that only gets minimum offers or signs mid level exception deals or whatever.
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#42 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Fri Feb 8, 2019 2:55 pm

The Knicks could still potentially trade for AD even if they get the #2 or #3 pick. That's a more valuable pick than any other single pick that other teams could offer because it's position is known and guaranteed. All of the Celtics picks from other teams have protections on them -- e.g. the Clippers pick can only be #15 or worse and the Memphis pick will either be #9 or worse this year, #7 or worse in 2020, or then becomes unprotected in 2021 if not conveyed before then (and Knicks can offer DAL unprotected 1st in 2021 anyway).

I'm also not convinced that Ainge won't still try to lowball Nola.
BowlRips
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,836

Post#43 » by BowlRips » Fri Feb 8, 2019 3:09 pm

We saw the beginning of Washington's purge.
I think it will continue this offseason.
Beal is someone I would target if we sign KD, Davis goes to Boston and Kyrie stays with him.

Has 2 years 55 mil remaining on his deal. Wizards would be trading him at his highest point.
Knick could absorb him into cap space and give the Wizards alot more financial flexibility and give them the Mavs picks as assets.
Would leave Knicks with about $5-7mil in space post Beal and Durant, to resign Vonleh and give DeAndre the bi-annual exception

DeAndre/Mitch
Zion/Vonleh
KD/Knox
Beal/Dotson/Trier
Frank/Dennis

I'd be very happy with this
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#44 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Feb 8, 2019 3:15 pm

BowlRips wrote:We saw the beginning of Washington's purge.
Beal is someone I would target if we sign KD, Davis goes to Boston and Kyrie stays with him.

Has 2 years 55 mil remaining on his deal. Wizards would be trading him at his highest point.
Knick could absorb him into cap space and give the Wizards alot more financial flexibility and give them the Mavs picks as assets.
Would leave Knicks with about $5-7mil in space post Beal and Durant, to resign Vonleh and give DeAndre the bi-annual exception

DeAndre/Mitch
Zion/Vonleh
KD/Knox
Beal/Dotson/Trier
Frank/Dennis

Oubre then Porter. Absolutely. What do they have left? Beal, hurt Wall and a Morris twin?

Also, I'd flip Dennis and Frank, and pair Frank with Trier in the 2nd unit, so there is always one plus defender in the guard pairing.
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#45 » by newyorker4ever » Fri Feb 8, 2019 3:19 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:

DeAndre/Mitch
Zion/Vonleh
KD/Knox
Beal/Dotson/Trier
Frank/Dennis

Oubre then Porter. Absolutely. What do they have left? Beal, hurt Wall and a Morris twin?

Also, I'd flip Dennis and Frank, and pair Frank with Trier in the 2nd unit, so there is always one plus defender in the guard pairing.

They traded Morris yesterday to.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#46 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Feb 8, 2019 3:22 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

DeAndre/Mitch
Zion/Vonleh
KD/Knox
Beal/Dotson/Trier
Frank/Dennis

They traded Morris yesterday to.

Whoops. Wow.
Beal going to be asking out in the summer for sure.
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,486

Post#47 » by CharlesOakley » Fri Feb 8, 2019 3:27 pm

I don't know why everyone is penciling Durant into our team. Does Durant really want to play with a bunch of youngsters and one other all-star? It seems unlikely to me. I'm also not that excited to have a 31 to 36-year-old Durant under contract.

To me, it's either AD and Kawhi or add more young talent through the draft and develop. I think landing any combination of Durant, Kyrie, Kemba or Klay will never land us in the finals.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,072

Post#48 » by Capn'O » Fri Feb 8, 2019 3:33 pm

Mike Muscala's deadline journey might be the perfect summation of Jerry West's tenure as an executive.

Acquired as part of the Harris trade, he was a liability as a non-producing large contract that likely allowed the Clippers to extract more value from Philly. Then flipped to the Lakers, who were trying to clear a roster space for Carmelo, he nets them Zubac.

That is pure ALCHEMY!
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,375
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#49 » by BKlutch » Fri Feb 8, 2019 3:44 pm

It looks like we want to keep Frank on the team, at least for now.
Read on Twitter

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

NY2k1
Starter
And1: 810

Post#50 » by NY2k1 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 3:53 pm

CharlesOakley wrote:I don't know why everyone is penciling Durant into our team. Does Durant really want to play with a bunch of youngsters and one other all-star? It seems unlikely to me. I'm also not that excited to have a 31 to 36-year-old Durant under contract.

To me, it's either AD and Kawhi or add more young talent through the draft and develop. I think landing any combination of Durant, Kyrie, Kemba or Klay will never land us in the finals.

Durant will likely age well given how he plays.

Also, it would be coming KD + Kyrie and trading for an AD.
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#51 » by taj2133 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 4:00 pm

CharlesOakley wrote:I don't know why everyone is penciling Durant into our team. Does Durant really want to play with a bunch of youngsters and one other all-star? It seems unlikely to me. I'm also not that excited to have a 31 to 36-year-old Durant under contract.

I want no part of kawhi reason being he has dumb family like kp his uncle is jackazz and ask spurs fans about uncle dennis.
BeagleBoss
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Post#52 » by BeagleBoss » Fri Feb 8, 2019 4:09 pm

Not sure how much Gasol will help Toronto. Siakam needs to play.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Post#53 » by whocares1 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 4:23 pm

blanko wrote:
Spoiler:
RHODEY wrote:
Stannis wrote:Very bad deadline for the Knicks. Honestly, Knicks should have helped the Lakers get AD in a 3-team deal and send NO one pick.

Anyway, my post from another thread.

Ainge is arrogant... just like he feels he can convince AD to resign I'm sure he Assumes Kyrie will stay. That could bite him in the ass. Last I checked players dont like be dictate to , especially franchise level Elite talents like AD and Kyrie. Its very telling that NY is on AD's list. right now - without ZION or anybody. Its even more telling that he doesn't want to play for Boston. He's stated it and so has his dad. Boston is not a desirable location despite their talent. despite ESPN,, Despite Tommy Heinson ... NY is becoming one again despite their current lack of talent. Boston better hope we dont get that #1 pick.
AD's father already blasted the celtics for what they did to isiah. I think he may start lavaring if boston talks get serious. He may do an interview and **** on the celtics and on the city of boston.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk

Davis’ father only said that because they were trying to stop the Celtics from trying to trade for AD, so that the Pelicans would be forced to think they’d have to do a deal with the Lakers. It didn’t work thank god.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,411

Post#54 » by robillionaire » Fri Feb 8, 2019 4:40 pm

whocares1 wrote:
blanko wrote:
Spoiler:
RHODEY wrote:
Ainge is arrogant... just like he feels he can convince AD to resign I'm sure he Assumes Kyrie will stay. That could bite him in the ass. Last I checked players dont like be dictate to , especially franchise level Elite talents like AD and Kyrie. Its very telling that NY is on AD's list. right now - without ZION or anybody. Its even more telling that he doesn't want to play for Boston. He's stated it and so has his dad. Boston is not a desirable location despite their talent. despite ESPN,, Despite Tommy Heinson ... NY is becoming one again despite their current lack of talent. Boston better hope we dont get that #1 pick.
AD's father already blasted the celtics for what they did to isiah. I think he may start lavaring if boston talks get serious. He may do an interview and **** on the celtics and on the city of boston.

Davis’ father only said that because they were trying to stop the Celtics from trying to trade for AD, so that the Pelicans would be forced to think they’d have to do a deal with the Lakers. It didn’t work thank god.

Yeah I'm not so sure about that. He didn't say anything bad about the Knicks. In fact he put us on the same level as the Lakers. Makes no sense to do that yet trash Boston that way and say he won't re-sign there.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,452

Post#55 » by RHODEY » Fri Feb 8, 2019 4:52 pm

Moose wrote:
Stannis wrote:Very bad deadline for the Knicks. Honestly, Knicks should have helped the Lakers get AD in a 3-team deal and send NO one pick.

Anyway, my post from another thread.

Stannis wrote:I think a lot of people are sleeping on Boston...

First of all, I want to say this was not a good deadline for New York. The best thing that could have happened was AD going to LA. It leaves him in the West and away from Kyrie.

It looks like Boston fears New York's chances this summer, and they are doing whatever they can to put an end to it. AD said Celtics are not on his list, but Boston does not care. They will have him guaranteed for one year. So why do that if Kyrie is guaranteed to leave this summer? He's not. Boston isn't that dumb. I believe they had some confirmation from Kyrie that he will resign or at least take his player option if they bring in AD.

This draft actually means much more. If New York gets Zion, it opens up all the possibilities. The biggest benefit is that New Orleans will 100% put Boston on hold until they find out what New York wants to do with Zion. New York can trade him for AD or just keep him. Either way, it's a much more attractive destination for Kyrie and Durant. If not... they continue to look like a pile of garbage. Kyrie and Durant will be hesitant to come here. And by that time, Boston will have already traded for AD and Kyrie will just stay. And Durant is not going to New York by himself.

TL;DR: Zion or Bust

The best thing for the Knicks was that AD wasn't traded.

New Orleans is going to wait until after the draft to trade AD. Any GM worth his salt realizes the opportunity here.

If the Knicks sign KD and Kyrie, they will then do what the Cavs did for Love, and trade the farm for AD, as they should. The Pelicans know this. The Knicks getting the first pick essentially gets then AD.

If the Knicks strike out completely in FA, Boston has a great chance to get AD.

I'm pretty sure this:

Zion
Knox
Smith Jr.
Both Mavs picks
Knicks pick in 2021

Competes with a lot of offers that Boston cab put together. Zion is the best prospect available, even more so than Tatum.

That more than competes, it pretty much beats any offer. Mainly due to Zions talent and prime box office appeal. Im sure Ainge will try and drive up the price to gut us to maximum gut-ability :banghead: .

I personally think 2 future 1st round picks (instead of 3) is enough we'd be giving up high ceiling youths in addition to ZION. Maybe we still could get AD if we got the #2 or #3 - in that case then yeah I'd pony up on all three picks - But maybe Ainge's offer would trump that...
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,452

Post#56 » by RHODEY » Fri Feb 8, 2019 4:57 pm

robillionaire wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
blanko wrote:
Spoiler:

Yeah I'm not so sure about that. He didn't say anything bad about the Knicks. In fact he put us on the same level as the Lakers. Makes no sense to do that yet trash Boston that way and say he won't re-sign there.

Yep this is not a case of AD preferring the Lakers and being neutral toward the Celtics. He prefers the teams on his list (NY is one!) and does not want to suit up in green. Boston could be poised to take a big fall - and boy would I love that. I think KYrie wants out either way IMO.
Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,041

Post#57 » by Reign23 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 5:10 pm

Smith 30 / Mudiay 18
Frank 28 / Trier 20
Knox 25 / Dotson 23
Vonley 25 / Knox 5 / LFT or Hezonja 18
Deandre 24 / Mitch 24

hope thats the rotation after the ASG.
formerly known as knickst4pe
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,309

Post#58 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Feb 8, 2019 5:16 pm

Reign23 wrote:Smith 30 / Mudiay 18
Frank 28 / Trier 20
Knox 25 / Dotson 23
Deandre 18 / Mitch 22/Luke 8

With a lot of DSJ/Frank/Dot/Knox/Mitch
:beer: RIP mags
Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,041

Post#59 » by Reign23 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 5:19 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Reign23 wrote:Smith 30 / Mudiay 18
Frank 28 / Trier 20
Knox 25 / Dotson 23
Deandre 18 / Mitch 22/Luke 8

With a lot of DSJ/Frank/Dot/Knox/Mitch

yeah probably a little more Knox at the 4. I like this lineup a lot.
formerly known as knickst4pe
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#60 » by taj2133 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 5:48 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to New York Knicks