ImageImageImageImageImage

Post-deadline thoughts

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Re: Post dead-line thoughts 

Post#61 » by whocares1 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 6:09 pm

robillionaire wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
blanko wrote:
Spoiler:
AD's father already blasted the celtics for what they did to isiah. I think he may start lavaring if boston talks get serious. He may do an interview and **** on the celtics and on the city of boston.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk

Davis’ father only said that because they were trying to stop the Celtics from trying to trade for AD, so that the Pelicans would be forced to think they’d have to do a deal with the Lakers. It didn’t work thank god.

Yeah I'm not so sure about that. He didn't say anything bad about the Knicks. In fact he put us on the same level as the Lakers. Makes no sense to do that yet trash Boston that way and say he won't re-sign there.

We dont have the assets the acquire Davis. Neither did the Bucks. Anthony Davis’ camp was not worried about the Knicks, so they used us to save face. If they demanded a trade only to the Lakers it would make them look worse.
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#62 » by newyorker4ever » Fri Feb 8, 2019 6:13 pm

Reign23 wrote:Smith 30 / Mudiay 18
Frank 28 / Trier 20
Knox 25 / Dotson 23
Vonley 25 / Knox 5 / LFT or Hezonja 18
Deandre 24 / Mitch 24

hope thats the rotation after the ASG.

We don't really have much of a choice. the only change i could see is with Frank and Dotson at SG. Frank will probably play both guard spots.
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,483

Post#63 » by CharlesOakley » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:01 pm

NY2k1 wrote:
CharlesOakley wrote:I don't know why everyone is penciling Durant into our team. Does Durant really want to play with a bunch of youngsters and one other all-star? It seems unlikely to me. I'm also not that excited to have a 31 to 36-year-old Durant under contract.

To me, it's either AD and Kawhi or add more young talent through the draft and develop. I think landing any combination of Durant, Kyrie, Kemba or Klay will never land us in the finals.

Durant will likely age well given how he plays.

Also, it would be coming KD + Kyrie and trading for an AD.

If we trade for AD we don't have the cap space for KD and Kyrie.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,443

Post#64 » by cgmw » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:17 pm

CharlesOakley wrote:

That is incorrect, sir. Actually you are technically correct, but got the order reversed.

KD & Kyrie (or any two max FAs) can sign first, and THEN the Knicks can pull the trigger on an AD deal. In all likelihood it would happen on the same day: 1) New York agreeing on paper with the two FAs and 2) in principle with New Orleans to execute a trade after the 1-month moratorium on trading a drafted player has expired.

IMO Perry will trade our first pick (even if it's Zion) for Anthony Davis if it means getting two of the big three FAs (KD/Kawhi/Kyrie).
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#65 » by dakomish23 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:18 pm

Stannis wrote:Very bad deadline for the Knicks. Honestly, Knicks should have helped the Lakers get AD in a 3-team deal and send NO one pick.

Anyway, my post from another thread.

Stannis wrote:I think a lot of people are sleeping on Boston...

First of all, I want to say this was not a good deadline for New York. The best thing that could have happened was AD going to LA. It leaves him in the West and away from Kyrie.

It looks like Boston fears New York's chances this summer, and they are doing whatever they can to put an end to it. AD said Celtics are not on his list, but Boston does not care. They will have him guaranteed for one year. So why do that if Kyrie is guaranteed to leave this summer? He's not. Boston isn't that dumb. I believe they had some confirmation from Kyrie that he will resign or at least take his player option if they bring in AD.

This draft actually means much more. If New York gets Zion, it opens up all the possibilities. The biggest benefit is that New Orleans will 100% put Boston on hold until they find out what New York wants to do with Zion. New York can trade him for AD or just keep him. Either way, it's a much more attractive destination for Kyrie and Durant. If not... they continue to look like a pile of garbage. Kyrie and Durant will be hesitant to come here. And by that time, Boston will have already traded for AD and Kyrie will just stay. And Durant is not going to New York by himself.

TL;DR: Zion or Bust

If he takes the PO, doesn’t the same rule preventing them for trading for AD still apply?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
coopnyc74
Pro Prospect
And1: 451

Post#66 » by coopnyc74 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:19 pm

I will be pissed if we find out we turned down that OKC first from Orlando for Frank.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,219

Post#67 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:22 pm

CharlesOakley wrote:
NY2k1 wrote:
CharlesOakley wrote:I don't know why everyone is penciling Durant into our team. Does Durant really want to play with a bunch of youngsters and one other all-star? It seems unlikely to me. I'm also not that excited to have a 31 to 36-year-old Durant under contract.

To me, it's either AD and Kawhi or add more young talent through the draft and develop. I think landing any combination of Durant, Kyrie, Kemba or Klay will never land us in the finals.

We would have to match 27mil going out?

Frank/Knox/DSJ/2019 FRP/MFLFT gets it done.
:beer: RIP mags
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#68 » by dakomish23 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:22 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:
Rodimus921 wrote:Knicks need to feature Kevin Knox for the next 30 games to entice No. I like that Knox is the the rookie all star game which helps with his exposure .

We have been. He’s just not that good lol.

Put the guy in motion. Him standing in the corner while a guard dribbles up top is lazy

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
cgmw
RealGM

Post#69 » by cgmw » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:23 pm

coopnyc74 wrote:I will be pissed if we find out we turned down that OKC first from Orlando for Frank.

We might need Frank's salary to make the numbers work for an Anthony Davis trade.
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#70 » by cuyankees » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:25 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
CharlesOakley wrote:
NY2k1 wrote:

MFLFT must be waived to get the 2 max slots or am I completely missing something besides someone saying that KD and/or KI take a discount?
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#71 » by dakomish23 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:25 pm

Reign23 wrote:Smith 30 / Mudiay 18
Frank 28 / Trier 20
Knox 25 / Dotson 23
Vonley 25 / Knox 5 / LFT or Hezonja 18
Deandre 24 / Mitch 24

hope thats the rotation after the ASG.

They won’t do it but please switch DJ with Mitch.

Also give Knox more run at the PF spot.

DSJ Frank Dotson Knox Mitch for 20+ each night.

Play the kids, live with the results.

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
cgmw
RealGM

Post#72 » by cgmw » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:27 pm

cuyankees wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
CharlesOakley wrote:

MFLFT must be waived to get the 2 max slots or am I completely missing something besides someone saying that KD and/or KI take a discount?

Correct.

Lance Thomas waived, but the numbers still work if you trade the remaining roster (literally everyone) for Anthony Davis. ESPN and others have published articles/videos explaining the math.
NY2k1
Starter
And1: 785

Post#73 » by NY2k1 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:28 pm

whocares1 wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
Davis’ father only said that because they were trying to stop the Celtics from trying to trade for AD, so that the Pelicans would be forced to think they’d have to do a deal with the Lakers. It didn’t work thank god.

Yeah I'm not so sure about that. He didn't say anything bad about the Knicks. In fact he put us on the same level as the Lakers. Makes no sense to do that yet trash Boston that way and say he won't re-sign there.

We dont have the assets the acquire Davis. Neither did the Bucks. Anthony Davis’ camp was not worried about the Knicks, so they used us to save face. If they demanded a trade only to the Lakers it would make them look worse.

Huh? Knicks most definitely have the assets to get Davis. The question is more if they want to
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,219

Post#74 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:31 pm

cuyankees wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
CharlesOakley wrote:

Does he? Well...damn. Trier then?

I don't know. Whatever we do...I'm trusting Perry. He's gotten us from hell to here in 18 months? I'm down with no FA bonanza honestly. If no one comes...stay in the lottery and sign 1 year deals or movable deals. Soend wisely and draft well until it pops off!
:beer: RIP mags
cgmw
RealGM

Post#75 » by cgmw » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:35 pm

https://hoopshype.com/2019/02/01/kristaps-porzingis-trade-anthony-davis-rumors/

Kevin Pelton looked at what it might take to trade for Davis and provided some interesting details (via ESPN):

“The Knicks would have to send back $21.6 million in salary, and as noted earlier that’s more than all their currently guaranteed 2019-20 contracts combined. Realistically, this year’s pick would have to be part of any Davis trade, and New York could use the same strategy as the Cleveland Cavaliers did with Andrew Wiggins in 2014 by signing the pick first and subsequently trading him 30 days later when his salary counts for matching purposes.”

The Knicks could package their Top 5 pick alongside some combination of Kevin Knox, Frank Ntilikina, Dennis Smith Jr., Mitchell Robinson, Allonzo Trier and Damyean Dotson to create a trade for Davis. They would likely have to include the future first-round picks they just acquired in exchange for Porzingis, according to Pelton.

IMO this is MSG's "Plan A" --Entice two max FAs by coming to a trade agreement (in principle) with Dell Demps. The trade would be contingent on signing two max free agents, who in turn would be enough to convince AD to re-sign with the Knicks.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,881

Post#76 » by KnixinSix » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:38 pm

Stannis wrote:Very bad deadline for the Knicks. Honestly, Knicks should have helped the Lakers get AD in a 3-team deal and send NO one pick.

First of all, I want to say this was not a good deadline for New York. The best thing that could have happened was AD going to LA. It leaves him in the West and away from Kyrie.

It looks like Boston fears New York's chances this summer, and they are doing whatever they can to put an end to it. AD said Celtics are not on his list, but Boston does not care. They will have him guaranteed for one year. So why do that if Kyrie is guaranteed to leave this summer? He's not. Boston isn't that dumb. I believe they had some confirmation from Kyrie that he will resign or at least take his player option if they bring in AD.

This draft actually means much more. If New York gets Zion, it opens up all the possibilities. The biggest benefit is that New Orleans will 100% put Boston on hold until they find out what New York wants to do with Zion. New York can trade him for AD or just keep him. Either way, it's a much more attractive destination for Kyrie and Durant. If not... they continue to look like a pile of garbage. Kyrie and Durant will be hesitant to come here. And by that time, Boston will have already traded for AD and Kyrie will just stay. And Durant is not going to New York by himself.

The rumors seem to point to NO really liking both Zion and Ja. Probably Zion more but Ja really up there too.

I think a top 2 pick will be the key. The biggest suspense will be when they announce pick 5. If we get past pick 5. It jumps to a close to a 60% chance to get top 2.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,788

Post#77 » by Stannis » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:42 pm

KnixinSix wrote:

The rumors seem to point to NO really liking both Zion and Ja. Probably Zion more but Ja really up there too.

I think a top 2 pick will be the key. The biggest suspense will be when they announce pick 5. If we get past pick 5. It jumps to a close to a 60% chance to get top 2.

Yea, I'm on tankathon.com. It says top 4 is 52.1%. So that means Knicks having 47.9% to get the 5th pick?

I really don't think I can watch this lottery. I might die when they get to the fifth pick.
Free Palestine
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#78 » by whocares1 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:42 pm

NY2k1 wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
robillionaire wrote:

Huh? Knicks most definitely have the assets to get Davis. The question is more if they want to

No..maybe if the Knicks pick became Zion, but they didn’t accept Ingram, Hart, Ball, Kuzma, and 2 first round picks while also shedding a bad contract. So not sure how Knicks could’ve beaten that offer.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,788

Post#79 » by Stannis » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:44 pm

whocares1 wrote:
NY2k1 wrote:
whocares1 wrote:We dont have the assets the acquire Davis. Neither did the Bucks. Anthony Davis’ camp was not worried about the Knicks, so they used us to save face. If they demanded a trade only to the Lakers it would make them look worse.

No..maybe if the Knicks pick became Zion, but they didn’t accept Ingram, Hart, Ball, Kuzma, and 2 first round picks while also shedding a bad contract. So not sure how Knicks could’ve beaten that offer.

I think the Knicks could add up to 5 first rounders in a package since they have the Dallas' picks.
Free Palestine
NY2k1
Starter
And1: 785

Post#80 » by NY2k1 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:48 pm

whocares1 wrote:
NY2k1 wrote:
whocares1 wrote:We dont have the assets the acquire Davis. Neither did the Bucks. Anthony Davis’ camp was not worried about the Knicks, so they used us to save face. If they demanded a trade only to the Lakers it would make them look worse.

Two reasons.

1) That was because the Pels didn't want to send him to LA out of spite

2) Unless they really got some really crazy and insane unprecedented offer they couldn't refuse, they were gonna wait till the summer to see what the trade packages look like for AD

Return to New York Knicks