ImageImageImageImageImage

Post-deadline thoughts

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,957

Re: Post dead-line thoughts 

Post#81 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Feb 8, 2019 8:03 pm

KnixinSix wrote:
Stannis wrote:Very bad deadline for the Knicks. Honestly, Knicks should have helped the Lakers get AD in a 3-team deal and send NO one pick.

Anyway, my post from another thread.

Stannis wrote:I think a lot of people are sleeping on Boston...

First of all, I want to say this was not a good deadline for New York. The best thing that could have happened was AD going to LA. It leaves him in the West and away from Kyrie.

It looks like Boston fears New York's chances this summer, and they are doing whatever they can to put an end to it. AD said Celtics are not on his list, but Boston does not care. They will have him guaranteed for one year. So why do that if Kyrie is guaranteed to leave this summer? He's not. Boston isn't that dumb. I believe they had some confirmation from Kyrie that he will resign or at least take his player option if they bring in AD.

This draft actually means much more. If New York gets Zion, it opens up all the possibilities. The biggest benefit is that New Orleans will 100% put Boston on hold until they find out what New York wants to do with Zion. New York can trade him for AD or just keep him. Either way, it's a much more attractive destination for Kyrie and Durant. If not... they continue to look like a pile of garbage. Kyrie and Durant will be hesitant to come here. And by that time, Boston will have already traded for AD and Kyrie will just stay. And Durant is not going to New York by himself.

TL;DR: Zion or Bust

The rumors seem to point to NO really liking both Zion and Ja. Probably Zion more but Ja really up there too.

I think a top 2 pick will be the key. The biggest suspense will be when they announce pick 5. If we get past pick 5. It jumps to a close to a 60% chance to get top 2.

lottery night is going to be soooooo effin tense.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Re: Post-deadline thoughts 

Post#82 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Feb 8, 2019 8:05 pm

RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,686

Post#83 » by shtolky » Fri Feb 8, 2019 8:13 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:changing gears slightly,

https://nypost.com/2019/02/08/frank-ntilikina-and-dennis-smith-from-draft-rivalry-to-unlikely-knicks-tandem/

frank and dennis have post-deadline thoughts

Let's hope Mudiay really is going to be an afterthought. Gotta get Frank real minutes to end the season, even if he doesn't start.
KnixinSix
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,890

Post#84 » by KnixinSix » Fri Feb 8, 2019 8:15 pm

Stannis wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:
Stannis wrote:Very bad deadline for the Knicks. Honestly, Knicks should have helped the Lakers get AD in a 3-team deal and send NO one pick.

The rumors seem to point to NO really liking both Zion and Ja. Probably Zion more but Ja really up there too.

I think a top 2 pick will be the key. The biggest suspense will be when they announce pick 5. If we get past pick 5. It jumps to a close to a 60% chance to get top 2.

Yea, I'm on tankathon.com. It says top 4 is 52.1%. So that means Knicks having 47.9% to get the 5th pick?

I really don't think I can watch this lottery. I might die when they get to the fifth pick.

Yup. So if you get past the close to 50% chance its the number five pick. You have higher odds for top 1-2 vs. 3-4. I said close to 60% but I think it might a little closer to 55% area to get top 2.
For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2nd Corinthians 4:6
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#85 » by cuyankees » Fri Feb 8, 2019 8:16 pm

whocares1 wrote:
NY2k1 wrote:
whocares1 wrote:We dont have the assets the acquire Davis. Neither did the Bucks. Anthony Davis’ camp was not worried about the Knicks, so they used us to save face. If they demanded a trade only to the Lakers it would make them look worse.

Huh? Knicks most definitely have the assets to get Davis. The question is more if they want to

No..maybe if the Knicks pick became Zion, but they didn’t accept Ingram, Hart, Ball, Kuzma, and 2 first round picks while also shedding a bad contract. So not sure how Knicks could’ve beaten that offer.

Think a top 3 pick puts NYK in the hunt, #1 obvi more.

That poo poo platter from LAL is beatable.
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#86 » by newyorker4ever » Fri Feb 8, 2019 8:22 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:

I don't know what i'm gonna do about watching it. I'm like crazy superstitious when it comes to sports and it's really crazy some of the shyt i do.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#87 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Feb 8, 2019 8:24 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:

I don't know what i'm gonna do about watching it. I'm like crazy superstitious when it comes to sports and it's really crazy some of the shyt i do.

oh, i will watch with a drink like always.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
evevale
Lead Assistant
And1: 16,733

Post#88 » by evevale » Fri Feb 8, 2019 8:27 pm

CharlesOakley wrote:I don't know why everyone is penciling Durant into our team. Does Durant really want to play with a bunch of youngsters and one other all-star? It seems unlikely to me. I'm also not that excited to have a 31 to 36-year-old Durant under contract.

Agree with this a lot. I feel like I'm very alone when I say that I'm not all-in, or even excited about the prospect of getting KD. Maybe before he signed w/ GS when he was just entering his prime. But a 31+ KD making megamax money until he's 36? No thank you.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,375
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#89 » by BKlutch » Fri Feb 8, 2019 8:30 pm

evevale wrote:
CharlesOakley wrote:I don't know why everyone is penciling Durant into our team. Does Durant really want to play with a bunch of youngsters and one other all-star? It seems unlikely to me. I'm also not that excited to have a 31 to 36-year-old Durant under contract.

Agree with this a lot. I feel like I'm very alone when I say that I'm not all-in, or even excited about the prospect of getting KD. Maybe before he signed w/ GS when he was just entering his prime. But a 31+ KD making megamax money until he's 36? No thank you.

Look how well it worked out towards the end of Melo's career. What could possibly go wrong?

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,404

Post#90 » by robillionaire » Fri Feb 8, 2019 8:32 pm

NY2k1 wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
NY2k1 wrote:
Huh? Knicks most definitely have the assets to get Davis. The question is more if they want to

No..maybe if the Knicks pick became Zion, but they didn’t accept Ingram, Hart, Ball, Kuzma, and 2 first round picks while also shedding a bad contract. So not sure how Knicks could’ve beaten that offer.

Two reasons.

1) That was because the Pels didn't want to send him to LA out of spite

2) Unless they really got some really crazy and insane unprecedented offer they couldn't refuse, they were gonna wait till the summer to see what the trade packages look like for AD

Since they don’t want to sent him to LA out of spite and plus LA is in their conference, and we know AD does not want to go to Boston, that should give us at least some kind of leverage for the pelicans to want to work with us this summer
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,933

Post#91 » by Stannis » Fri Feb 8, 2019 8:32 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:

eh... we gotta watch it bro. do it. can't be scared!
Free Palestine
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,967

Post#92 » by knicks94 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 8:36 pm

I'm glad I didn't have to hear about how the NO Pelicans gift wrapped AD to the Lakers simply because they're America's favorite NBA team. For the past decade or so both the Lakers and Celtics have been two franchises that have benefited from being rewarded with championship level players or lottery picks. One thing that gets me sick is how these two organizations have a sense of entitlement just because of their history and fanbase.

I believe that the only way that the Celtics land AD is if Dell Demps is caught in a sex scandal, fired because of it, and is replaced by Kevin McHale. My question is why would any superstar want to spend the rest of their career playing for a city who disposes players that have helped their teams win in the past?
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Post#93 » by whocares1 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 9:05 pm

BKlutch wrote:
evevale wrote:

Look how well it worked out towards the end of Melo's career. What could possibly go wrong?

Two totally different players. Two different injury histories. Not even remotely the same.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#94 » by dakomish23 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 9:09 pm

From the BOS board:

Cliff's notes version:

-Ainge had to speak to a player about a trade they were discussing yesterday. Was honest with him, then told him why they decided not to trade him.
-players appreciate his honesty when he discusses trade rumors with them
-he has a good relationship with Dell Demps - did not want to discuss anything regarding an AD trade. Just said they haven't completed any deals moving forward, taking a "wait and see" approach. Can't make deals so far in advance because anything can happen. Too many variables.
-not sure about the buyout market. Says most FAs want an opportunity to play - doesn't know if the Celtics can offer much playing time because they don't have glaring needs
-has talked to Kyrie since his interview in NY ("I don't owe anybody ****"). As far as Ainge is concerned, the engagement with Kyrie is still on. They just can't say their vows until July 1st.

Read on Twitter
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#95 » by dakomish23 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 9:20 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
KnixinSix wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#96 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Feb 8, 2019 9:23 pm

dakomish23 wrote:From the BOS board:

Cliff's notes version:

-Ainge had to speak to a player about a trade they were discussing yesterday. Was honest with him, then told him why they decided not to trade him.
-he has a good relationship with Dell Demps - did not want to discuss anything regarding an AD trade. Just said they haven't completed any deals moving forward, taking a "wait and see" approach. Can't make deals so far in advance because anything can happen. Too many variables.
-not sure about the buyout market. Says most FAs want an opportunity to play - doesn't know if the Celtics can offer much playing time because they don't have glaring needs
-has talked to Kyrie since his interview in NY ("I don't owe anybody ****"). As far as Ainge is concerned, the engagement with Kyrie is still on. They just can't say their vows until July 1st.

Read on Twitter

meanwhile, in los angeles... :lol:
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#97 » by cuyankees » Fri Feb 8, 2019 9:32 pm

dakomish23 wrote:From the BOS board:

Cliff's notes version:

Read on Twitter

So you're saying it's KD & KL or KD & KT now...
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#98 » by NYKHardKnock » Fri Feb 8, 2019 9:34 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

You can get an elite/superstar at 5. So expect the worst. We pick 5th, 4th that we already add to our already pleather of youth. If you’re expecting 1-3 you’ll be a nervous wreck. I’m gonna just try to not get too caught up into picking first or second.
shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,686

Post#99 » by shtolky » Fri Feb 8, 2019 9:35 pm

If Kyrie and Ainge were just simply waiting until July 1 to say their vows (weird thing to say), Kyrie would have clearly indicated so during the MSG thing. He didn't. Ainge should be concerned. All Kyrie had to do was say I said what I said during the offseason and that's going to happen.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#100 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Feb 8, 2019 9:38 pm

Kristaps6_NYK wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

You can get an elite/superstar at 5. So expect the worst. We pick 5th, 4th that we already add to our already pleather of youth. If you’re expecting 1-3 you’ll be a nervous wreck. I’m gonna just try to not get too caught up into picking first or second.

apparently, you can get an elite superstar at 14 too. good fortunue and good scouting have to come together no matter what.

i don't expect anything other than the team doing its best with wat we get.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.

Return to New York Knicks