ImageImageImageImageImage

PG Thread: Runnin thru the 6 with my tanks.

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,693

Re: PG Thread: Runnin thru the 6 with my tanks. 

Post#241 » by Knicksfan1992 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:55 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
BKAY wrote:Gotta say the Knicks have to be putting one of the most respectable tanks ever. Weve all watched many a tanks and they all more or less outright suck. Knicks seem to be into most games until the very end and then lose usually around the mid 4th quarter

it only really got unwatchable for a little while before the deadline. otherwise, it really does look like they're taking it possession-by-possession.

Cleared the bad energy out of the locker room. Think it made a big difference for team energy
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,214

Post#242 » by KnicksGod » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:02 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
br7knicks wrote:do you think, if robinson keeps doing this ****, the scouting report will be out on him and teams will start boxing him out?

porzingis started his career by getting this putback dunks and making highlights, but teams started paying attention, and he was getting less aggressive.

I'm more worried about what's gonna happen is if we end up getting the two max players signed or even one and trade for another whether that be AD, Beal or any other one big name that one of the first players any team will demand to be in that trade will be M.Robinson, actually i think he'd be the first guy any team demands to be in the deal over Knox, DSJ or anyone else we have.

Teams do adjust. Sometimes rookies have a first half season bump that isn't realistic. Let's call it the Channing Frye Effect. Even Doncic is cooling off a little tiny bit right now.

I think Mitch has a bounce that will be hard to adjust for permanently. He also seems to have an IQ and can adjust to the adjustment.

The KP putbacks are a great example of something teams just didn't prepare for. Another red flag to me on KP was that he was quite weak on the offensive glass. He'd wave at the ball but almost never have the speed/strength to grab it.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#243 » by br7knicks » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:04 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
br7knicks wrote:do you think, if robinson keeps doing this ****, the scouting report will be out on him and teams will start boxing him out?

porzingis started his career by getting this putback dunks and making highlights, but teams started paying attention, and he was getting less aggressive.

I'm more worried about what's gonna happen is if we end up getting the two max players signed or even one and trade for another whether that be AD, Beal or any other one big name that one of the first players any team will demand to be in that trade will be M.Robinson, actually i think he'd be the first guy any team demands to be in the deal over Knox, DSJ or anyone else we have.

I wouldn't worry about the same things as I KP. KP would fly in from the foul line like it was a long jump contest for putback jams. Very entertaining and helped him build his lore. But he had poor rebounding fundamentals, not to mention he was strong. Robinson shares the same need to get stronger but has better rebounding fundamentals, stays under the rim and just gets after it. Most nights his lack of rebounding has more to do with foul trouble than because he is being pushed around. But that's not to say he can't get better, I'm just saying the development curve is different. One thing that looks promising is his shoulders and stance. KP had slender shoulders that may never carry muscle. I look at Robinson's shoulders and think he hits the weights and could have Dwight Howard shoulders someday.

yeah, it does seem like most of his putbacks are closer to the rim. but i also worry about him coming down on ankles with how often he does that
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#244 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:14 pm

br7knicks wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
Newyorknick94 wrote:Mitch getting better by the game

He's looking just like a young Clint Capela which is who i've been comparing him to the whole time. Hopefully by the end of the year they'll let him start practicing at getting better with his short shot from 8-10 feet from the basket and some turn arounds.

capela looks like he has better footwork

Has or had? I'm talking about when Capela first came into the league cause he wasn't as good his first year or two as he is now. He's come a long way which is obviously what i'm hoping for with Mitch the longer he plays.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#245 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:20 pm

br7knicks wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

unfortunately you're right. mitch does seem like such a gem for a 2nd rounder, teams will be looking for him.

mi don't mind a guy like jordan coming in (as long as mitch gets minutes), as i don't know/think robinson is ready for starters minutes (30+). he has gotten better at not making stupid fouls, though.

Yeah he's definitely not ready for starters minutes for sure. The kid didn't even play basketball last year and hasn't played much organized basketball in his entire life so as they say....the skies the limit for this kid. No telling how good he could become but in todays NBA having some kind of outside shot from your center is really helpful. Doesn't have to be a 3 point shot but anywhere in that 8-15 feet would be nice. That's an area that Capela got better at cause he was also just about defense, rebounding and putbacks/Dunks his first year or two in the NBA.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#246 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:32 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

I wouldn't worry about the same things as I KP. KP would fly in from the foul line like it was a long jump contest for putback jams. Very entertaining and helped him build his lore. But he had poor rebounding fundamentals, not to mention he was strong. Robinson shares the same need to get stronger but has better rebounding fundamentals, stays under the rim and just gets after it. Most nights his lack of rebounding has more to do with foul trouble than because he is being pushed around. But that's not to say he can't get better, I'm just saying the development curve is different. One thing that looks promising is his shoulders and stance. KP had slender shoulders that may never carry muscle. I look at Robinson's shoulders and think he hits the weights and could have Dwight Howard shoulders someday.

Not sure why you're comparing Kp to Mitch though? KP played much more PF and in today's NBA he's playing much further away from the basket then the center is in most cases so of course getting rebounds would be much easier to do for Mitch then KP. Those two are completely different players in their style and even what position they play. I do think i remember Fiz saying he thinks Mitch could play some PF but that has nothing to do with where he plays and has played so far in his career with us. They both obviously have the slender frames and you're right Mitch does look like he has much more muscle then KP has though and looks like it will be easier for him to add more weight/muscle as well.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#247 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:36 pm

br7knicks wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

yeah, it does seem like most of his putbacks are closer to the rim. but i also worry about him coming down on ankles with how often he does that

Yes he does come down very awkwardly a lot of the time where i find myself wincing waiting for him to go down or not get back up. Very scary to watch sometimes when i'm just hoping he's alright. He also falls down a lot like Mudiay used to do every time he'd go in for a layup...lol
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,045

Post#248 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:47 pm

2010 wrote:
[Kawhi] talked about the vivacious Garden crowd, which cheered him during pregame intros after which he had an off night — shooting 4-of-15 for 11 points in a 104-99 Raptors win.

“They still come out and support the team even with a losing record,’’ said Leonard, whose uncle joined him in Toronto. “That’s what you want from an organization that you’re playing for.’’

:o

DSJ
Kawhi
KD
Zion
Mitch

Position less ball lol
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,258
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#249 » by BKlutch » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:44 pm

KnicksGod wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Teams do adjust. Sometimes rookies have a first half season bump that isn't realistic. Let's call it the Channing Frye Effect. Even Doncic is cooling off a little tiny bit right now.

I think Mitch has a bounce that will be hard to adjust for permanently. He also seems to have an IQ and can adjust to the adjustment.

The KP putbacks are a great example of something teams just didn't prepare for. Another red flag to me on KP was that he was quite weak on the offensive glass. He'd wave at the ball but almost never have the speed/strength to grab it.

This is so true. We all wanted him to do well so we made excuses that he needed core strength or to put on weight, or his anemia was wearing him down, or we had no PGs so he couldn't rebound. (He was too tired chasing after the guards our PGs didn't cover on D). OK, now we don't have to put any fancy dressing on him. He is what he is. He's an overly large, long guy with thin limbs and not a lot of core strength. Also less integrity and mental strength that we all thought.

Let's hope Janis can get him into good shape so he can have a great career in Dallas. Or whatever team he finally blesses with a long term contract.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,258
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#250 » by BKlutch » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:11 pm

F N 11 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
BKlutch wrote:As Fiz said, he was tired on the second game of a back to back. He played a lot of minutes last game and he's (?)19.

No 19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28 year old is gonna be tired in any back to back game and even suggesting it is absolutely ridiculous.

Stfu and let the kid grow. Jesus the whole team suffers. Each game y’all just nag nag and nag. It’s not even criticism it’s nagging. If you watched the game he had makeable shots which suggest fatigue. I can’t imagjne how pros feel on a back to back when I’m sore the next day after playing ball.

Here's something Budenholzer said about Giannis not playing the second game of a back to back (analogous situation):
“The soreness and the pounding of his body is pretty significant,” Budenholzer said, according to the Associated Press. “I don’t think it’s a long-term thing, but I think a back-to-back, and the loads his puts himself through for us, he needs this.”

I'm not saying DSJ does what Giannis does, but I am saying year, getting tired the second game isn't unheard of for younger guys. That's all.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#251 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:47 pm

BKlutch wrote:
F N 11 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

No 19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28 year old is gonna be tired in any back to back game and even suggesting it is absolutely ridiculous.

Stfu and let the kid grow. Jesus the whole team suffers. Each game y’all just nag nag and nag. It’s not even criticism it’s nagging. If you watched the game he had makeable shots which suggest fatigue. I can’t imagjne how pros feel on a back to back when I’m sore the next day after playing ball.

Here's something Budenholzer said about Giannis not playing the second game of a back to back (analogous situation):
“The soreness and the pounding of his body is pretty significant,” Budenholzer said, according to the Associated Press. “I don’t think it’s a long-term thing, but I think a back-to-back, and the loads his puts himself through for us, he needs this.”

I'm not saying DSJ does what Giannis does, but I am saying year, getting tired the second game isn't unheard of for younger guys. That's all.

Yeah it's an absolutely huge difference the punishment Giannes puts his body through every single game and how many minutes he plays every single game compared to what DSJ does. It's a really really big difference and Giannes has been playing longer. Giannes takes it to the basket and gets banged almost every time he does.
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#252 » by malik959 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:34 pm

Sark wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
Sark wrote:
How about this?

at least we got RJ. I'm still hype

If Dallas ended up with Porzingis, AND Zion....

I would stop watching the NBA entirely. That would seriously break my soul.

AAAAAnd of course they would still find a way to blame this on the Knicks
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,811

Post#253 » by spree2kawhi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:06 pm

Knick4Real wrote:Um... is anybody else having serious doubts about Kawhi?? :roll:

I'm watching him a lot and he's really had some struggles this year despite insane stats and also very good stretches. This game was extremely bad. He's much, much better than Kyrie though. Him and Durant could win a championship together. Durant and Kyrie don't convince me.
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,811

Post#254 » by spree2kawhi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:09 pm

2010 wrote:
[Kawhi] talked about the vivacious Garden crowd, which cheered him during pregame intros after which he had an off night — shooting 4-of-15 for 11 points in a 104-99 Raptors win.

“They still come out and support the team even with a losing record,’’ said Leonard, whose uncle joined him in Toronto. “That’s what you want from an organization that you’re playing for.’’

:o

Come on, please. :pray:
br7knicks

Post#255 » by br7knicks » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:06 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
awy wrote:the knicks are hard committed to getting 2 max guys and it's really up to the leading max player to choose the guy he wants to play with.

if kd wants kyrie then they won't say no to kyrie despite the risks.

players in general are mostly just going by reputation and ignore stuff like aging and injury risk. but it's the cost of doing business by choosing to stop the rebuild at this point in time.

oh, i agree. i'm not nixing KD if he wants to bring kyrie. at that point you just do what you can to keep kyrie healthy for the postseason. we have seen kyrie play like a true champ when it mattered most.

uncle drew getting maintenance days like a mf. :lol: whichever young guards remain on the roster still gonna get burn.

and we just watched our team give, arguably, the beast team in the East a run for their money. Yes, they weren't full strength because gasol was coming off the bench. but to push them like they did means quite a bit. i enjoyed watching the young guys fight like they did.
RIP, magnumt '19

br7knicks

Post#256 » by br7knicks » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:07 am

newyorker4ever wrote:
br7knicks wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

He's looking just like a young Clint Capela which is who i've been comparing him to the whole time. Hopefully by the end of the year they'll let him start practicing at getting better with his short shot from 8-10 feet from the basket and some turn arounds.

capela looks like he has better footwork

Has or had? I'm talking about when Capela first came into the league cause he wasn't as good his first year or two as he is now. He's come a long way which is obviously what i'm hoping for with Mitch the longer he plays.

has. i do agree that they might be somewhat similar from that aspect. but to me, mitch seems more athletic, whereas capela is more finesse.
RIP, magnumt '19

br7knicks

Post#257 » by br7knicks » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:08 am

newyorker4ever wrote:
br7knicks wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

unfortunately you're right. mitch does seem like such a gem for a 2nd rounder, teams will be looking for him.

mi don't mind a guy like jordan coming in (as long as mitch gets minutes), as i don't know/think robinson is ready for starters minutes (30+). he has gotten better at not making stupid fouls, though.

Yeah he's definitely not ready for starters minutes for sure. The kid didn't even play basketball last year and hasn't played much organized basketball in his entire life so as they say....the skies the limit for this kid. No telling how good he could become but in todays NBA having some kind of outside shot from your center is really helpful. Doesn't have to be a 3 point shot but anywhere in that 8-15 feet would be nice. That's an area that Capela got better at cause he was also just about defense, rebounding and putbacks/Dunks his first year or two in the NBA.

even if he could be a mid-range guy like horford or aldridge, that's fine. don't need a gasol or brook lopez type. but if he could become a great passer, he'd be a great weapon to have, even without a shot.

but yes, outside shooting from your center seems to be a trend that isn't going away
RIP, magnumt '19

br7knicks

Post#258 » by br7knicks » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:11 am

newyorker4ever wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Not sure why you're comparing Kp to Mitch though? KP played much more PF and in today's NBA he's playing much further away from the basket then the center is in most cases so of course getting rebounds would be much easier to do for Mitch then KP. Those two are completely different players in their style and even what position they play. I do think i remember Fiz saying he thinks Mitch could play some PF but that has nothing to do with where he plays and has played so far in his career with us. They both obviously have the slender frames and you're right Mitch does look like he has much more muscle then KP has though and looks like it will be easier for him to add more weight/muscle as well.

we were comparing how KP, his rookie year, he'd come flying in and looking for putback dunks left and right. us fans loved it, and he became a highlight sensation his rookie year. but teams started adjusting for that and noticing what he was doing, so he stopped doing it towards the end of his rookie year.
RIP, magnumt '19

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,215

Post#259 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:33 am

I really enjoyed last night's game. I couldn't watch it 100% because I was at a bar...no sound. They almost pulled out a win. I was actually rooting and someone said "don't you want them to lose?" No. Not when it's a bunch of 20 year old kids. I wanted the win.
:beer: RIP mags
KnicksChamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,297

Post#260 » by KnicksChamps » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:43 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:I really enjoyed last night's game. I couldn't watch it 100% because I was at a bar...no sound. They almost pulled out a win. I was actually rooting and someone said "don't you want them to lose?" No. Not when it's a bunch of 20 year old kids. I wanted the win.

A dream scenario is rooting for every win and having them show great flashes of talent and promise, but continuing to lose in the 4th. Its actually quite remarkable that they're usually in it until the 4th and end up breaking down. Almost divine intervention-esque.

Return to New York Knicks