ImageImageImageImageImage

Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,059

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#1061 » by GONYK » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:52 pm

BBALLER4FR wrote:
god shammgod wrote:is 26th in the league something to crow about ? there's only 30 teams.

26th in the league among all players. He'd actually be 21st among guards which is slightly worse than Bradley Beal, slightly better than Steph Curry. Make of it what you will. His scoring is top notch, his passing is not nealy as bad as advertised which is what I'm getting at considering the tomfoolery this offseason. He's an good piece at either guard spot. Not saying crow, saying thank God it's not in the realm of Gildrus-Alexander, Pat Beverly, Marcus Smart, Sexton, McCollum ... all players we'd gladly accept at the guard spot in NY.

His slash line last season was 41%/29%/57%. Over his career, it takes 14 shots and 3 FT's to get 15 points.

How is that top notch scoring?
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,924

Post#1062 » by god shammgod » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:59 pm

BBALLER4FR wrote:
god shammgod wrote:is 26th in the league something to crow about ? there's only 30 teams.

26th in the league among all players. He'd actually be 21st among guards which is slightly worse than Bradley Beal, slightly better than Steph Curry. Make of it what you will. His scoring is top notch, his passing is not nealy as bad as advertised which is what I'm getting at considering the tomfoolery this offseason. He's an good piece at either guard spot. Not saying crow, saying thank God it's not in the realm of Gildrus-Alexander, Pat Beverly, Marcus Smart, Sexton, McCollum ... all players we'd gladly accept at the guard spot in NY.

steph is not really the point there though, draymond is. beal isn't either obviously. those guys are good off the ball. i'm not a big dennis fan. i play into it to f*ck with melo but i'm actually not really sold either. he can't really shoot or defend or pass exceptionally (you gotta give me that) but he needs the ball to drive. and with the ball in his hands he's not really setting up other people much. he's very limited.
melo4three
Senior
And1: 253

Post#1063 » by melo4three » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:48 pm

GONYK wrote:
BBALLER4FR wrote:

His slash line last season was 41%/29%/57%. Over his career, it takes 14 shots and 3 FT's to get 15 points.

43/32/64 for the season, he was coming off an injury when he got here not to mention a talent deficient team that was 10-40. If you are worried about injuries that is fair, but if healthy there is no way he doesn't improve massively from the 21 game sample we got last year
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#1064 » by Knicksfan20 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:49 pm

melo4three wrote:
GONYK wrote:

43/32/64 for the season, he was FAT when he got here not to mention a talent deficient team that was 10-40. If you are worried about injuries that is fair, but if healthy there is no way he doesn't improve massively from the 21 game sample we got last year

FTFY
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1065 » by GONYK » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:02 pm

melo4three wrote:
GONYK wrote:
BBALLER4FR wrote:

43/32/64 for the season, he was coming off an injury when he got here not to mention a talent deficient team that was 10-40. If you are worried about injuries that is fair, but if healthy there is no way he doesn't improve massively from the 21 game sample we got last year

You're right. I misread the table.

But that season slash line is also terrible, as is his career slash. So it's not a 21 game sample.

So it still begs the question: How is he a top notch scorer?
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,265

Post#1066 » by DOT » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:18 pm

GONYK wrote:
melo4three wrote:
GONYK wrote:

But that season slash line is also terrible, as is his career slash. So it's not a 21 game sample.

He scored 13.6 ppg, same as Al Horford and Jerami Grant, on .502 TS%, which was good for 184th in the league, right between Austin Rivers and Terry Rozier

I like the kid, and I think he's gonna have a really good year, but to call him a top notch scorer especially right now is pretty inaccurate, to say the least
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,340

Post#1067 » by Phish Tank » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:32 pm

DSJ's performance should really not be evaluated by his own statline. It'll be evaluated on how everyone else on the floor plays when he's on the floor with them.

But that can't be determined until the season starts. So we shall wait and see.....
MadGrinch
Veteran
And1: 412

Post#1068 » by MadGrinch » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:45 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:I dont get it though. Every video we saw this summer of him shooting the hitch was non existent.

Is that a old video?? Pre off season??

Go look at the vid where DSJ dropped 50 at the crawsover. There’s no “hitch”. He’ll be fine. I trust Keith Smart.

I hope so man because my excitement for this season was based on dsjr making that oladipo leap.

Oladipo made the leap from quality starter to star from his 4th season to his 5th

His last season in okc he was a plus defender who avg 16 points a game 49% from 2 , 36% from 3 , almost 5 boards and 4 assists a game

Dsjr is not there yet
Its because I'm green isn't it?
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#1069 » by Knicksfan1992 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:49 pm

Biggest things to look for from DSJ this season as a scorer is can he be more efficient around the rim. A guy with his kind of athleticism should be more towards 60% instead of 55% like he was last year and then obviously his catch and shoot 3's need to get much better. If those things improve like i think they will, then Dennis will be much more efficient.

I'm obviously optimistic about him but I think we all should be because he's probably our best chance at having a backcourt star outside of maybe RJ.
Obitron64
Sophomore
And1: 107

Post#1070 » by Obitron64 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:03 pm

im excited.
melo4three
Senior

Post#1071 » by melo4three » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:44 pm

GONYK wrote:
melo4three wrote:
GONYK wrote:

I think what they were meaning was that his skillset and ability give him the potential to be top notch. Of which he has shown flashes of and he should make strides towards being an elite scorer this year.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1072 » by GONYK » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:46 pm

melo4three wrote:
GONYK wrote:
melo4three wrote:

I think what they were meaning was that his skillset and ability give him the potential to be top notch. Of which he has shown flashes of and he should make strides towards being an elite scorer this year.

Maybe.

If that's the standard though, then the same can be said about Knox.

I think DSJ will be better this year, but he has to make a pretty big jump to be anything approaching elite.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,212

Post#1073 » by Kampuchea » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:03 pm

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,308

Post#1074 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:07 pm

GONYK wrote:
melo4three wrote:
GONYK wrote:

Maybe.

I think DSJ will be better this year, but he has to make a pretty big jump to be anything approaching elite.

I'm hoping for a better than DAR trajectory. If that shot we see in videos is for real...and he ups his FT %....I'll be happy.
:beer: RIP mags
melo4three
Senior

Post#1075 » by melo4three » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:23 pm

GONYK wrote:
melo4three wrote:
GONYK wrote:

Maybe.

I don't think so a couple percent a couple percent there with more volume would be approaching elite at the very least

say 18 and 7 on 44/35/71, that is basically just the efficiency he was putting up last year in dallas with more volume.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,924

Post#1076 » by god shammgod » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:39 pm

team rj & trier lol
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,517

Post#1077 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:16 pm

god shammgod wrote:team rj & trier lol

Trier gets the most slept-on award.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1078 » by GONYK » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:32 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:

Is he slept on?

I feel like people are very effusive about what he brings in his role.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,517

Post#1079 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:56 am

GONYK wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:

Is he slept on?

Precisely, confining Trier in the 6th man role which seems to be the consensus here might be a mistake. What if he's too good to stay in "his role"? If he shows he can be a more willing passer, he could and should compete for a spot in the starting lineup and who knows even become a star in this league. He's the only shot creator on our roster who had an above-average TS% last season besides Randle. I could be wrong but I just think we're underselling his upside.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,275

Post#1080 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:02 am

Chanel Bomber wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:Trier gets the most slept-on award.
Is he slept on?

Precisely, confining Trier in the 6th man role which seems to be the consensus here might be a mistake. What if he's too good to stay in "his role"? If he shows he can be a more willing passer, he could and should compete for a spot in the starting lineup and who knows even become a star in this league. He's the only shot creator on our roster who had an above-average TS% last season besides Randle. I could be wrong but I just think we're underselling his upside.

If Frank and Trier end up as our starting backcourt we'll see a few heads here explode

Return to New York Knicks