ImageImageImageImageImage

Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,105

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#141 » by ozwizard8 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:00 am

We already give KP what else to give?
%14 chance to get Zion.
Decent 8th-9th picks DSj-Knox
Late 1st round Mavs picks on bad draft.

You'd give all those+some picks for a title.
You'd even give them for NBA final.
After KP I really dont see any franchise players here.
Knox-DSJ-Mitchell-Frank doesnt worth that much because we arent even sure if they are going to worth max 4-5 year extension when their rookie deals finish.

Knicks havent been in playoff races since when? 5 years or sth?
If Knicks miss marquee FA's and settle with Kemba then you can expect to compete for playoff spot.
On most likely scenario we're going to continue to change whole roster in next 4-5 years.

If we can get a title, 2 ECF in 4 years, I can sacrifice other 6 years in the decade for having 30 win seasons.
Even without title guarantee just combine Kyrie-KD that would create enough possibility to make couple ECF's and compete for title.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,045

Post#142 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:24 pm

Afterward, coach David Fizdale called on Smith to get into better condition because the Knicks need him to be “The Man” — unlike in Dallas, where Luka Doncic was that.

“I do [agree],” Smith said. “[Fizdale’s] placing a larger load on me, larger than I ever had in Dallas in terms of responsibility. That’s what I want. That’s what you need to be one of the great players in this league.

“I’m taking the challenge head on. It is a lot more. I got to get into the paint. My minutes are up here, way higher than they were in Dallas. It’s an adjustment. Any challenge I’m taking head on. I can be in better shape, for sure.”

In his seven games with the Knicks, Smith is averaging 17 points and six assists, but shooting just 42.7 percent. As explosive as he is getting to the rim, Smith needs to shoot better from beyond the 3-point arc, lessen his turnovers and have more energy on defense.

“He’s just been up and down,’’ Fizdale said. “A big part of it is — like I told him — I think he can get in a lot better condition.

“He came to us, he was only playing [28] minutes a night in Dallas and he just came off being away from the team for about a week [on sabbatical]. What he’s being asked to do now is defend full court and get in the paint and make plays for everybody. So I’m raising up his load and he’s playing more minutes. I just think for him it’s just a matter of getting in great shape so consistency can hit.”

“It would’ve been nice to be drafted by the Knicks,” Smith said in Atlanta. “They were the eighth pick. I fell to the ninth. Whatever situation, I’m going to take full advantage of it. Some stuff is out of your control. Now I’m a Knick. I’m super excited to be here, and I’m going to give my all for the team.”

But Smith said patience is needed. Being the floor general of a new squad isn’t easy.

“I’m still learning [the plays],” Smith said. “It’s going to take time. This group is a different group for me because last year and even this year, I played with a bunch of veterans. Now with guys my age, sometimes I see mistakes they make [that] vets would get on me about. It’s just an adjustment. I’m all in for it. There’s things I can help them as well. I think it’s a beautiful process.”

As a rookie, Smith was in the dunk contest and didn’t make the finals. He has been in consultation with famous rapper friend J. Cole from his hometown of Fayettville, NC — which is just 180 miles from Charlotte.

On Saturday, Smith faces Hornets high-flyer Miles Bridges, the Hawks’ John Collins and Queens product Hamidou Diallo of the Thunder.

“Nate talked to me [Wednesday] about the dunk contest — more well-wishes,” Smith said. “Just well wishes. [J. Cole] is helping me with ideas. I got a couple of pretty cool dunks. I’ll see how they judge it. I’m just looking to have some fun Saturday.”
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#143 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:17 pm

In the 7 games DSJ has played with us, his Potential assists are 13.1.

that is a very small sample size... but if you compare that to other guards in the league, it is higher than Luka Doncic, Kyrie Irving, D'Angelo Russel, Kemba Walker, Bradley Beal, Damian Lillard.

Again, I am only using the 7 games that he has played with us. If you combine his NY and Dallas stats, it's at 8.9 potential assists (which is still the highest out of all the players on the knicks). I didn't want to use that though because we all know how he played off the ball in Dallas so it's not really accurate of his game.

This stat is showing a growth in his play making ability. Very encouraging
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#144 » by magnumt » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:42 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:In the 7 games DSJ has played with us, his Potential assists are 13.1.

that is a very small sample size... but if you compare that to other guards in the league, it is higher than Luka Doncic, Kyrie Irving, D'Angelo Russel, Kemba Walker, Bradley Beal, Damian Lillard.

Again, I am only using the 7 games that he has played with us. If you combine his NY and Dallas stats, it's at 8.9 potential assists (which is still the highest out of all the players on the knicks). I didn't want to use that though because we all know how he played off the ball in Dallas so it's not really accurate of his game.

His actual Assists would be MUUUUUUUUUUUCH higher if the guys left on the Team could actually hit a shot consistently. DSJ has made some GREAT drive and kickout passes. But, he’s also had some sloppy TOs too.

He really reminds me of a prime Marbury without the Perimeter shot. Once he gets an outside shot that’s consistent enough, he’ll be an INSTANT All-Star. Same if we get legit shooters.

—Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,180

Post#145 » by DOT » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:37 am

3toheadmelo wrote:In the 7 games DSJ has played with us, his Potential assists are 13.1.

Jesus
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#146 » by cuyankees » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:43 am

What's DSJ's almost made FG %?

Asking for a friend
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,137

Post#147 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:19 pm

DSJr looks good, no doubt. Also, no doubt the Knicks have some inconsistent shooters - Knox has been off/on all season and DSJr arrived when Vonleh was in his "I'm not going to make any more jump shots" phase.

And the potential assist numbers look high. But since a good shooting team shoots 50%, I'd assume all PG's have assists missed. What's the delta between him and the other PG's - or at least the league average?

I'd assume he's still missing 2-3 assists per game, whatever the above is
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#148 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:55 pm

magnumt wrote:

His actual Assists would be MUUUUUUUUUUUCH higher if the guys left on the Team could actually hit a shot consistently. DSJ has made some GREAT drive and kickout passes. But, he’s also had some sloppy TOs too.

He really reminds me of a prime Marbury without the Perimeter shot. Once he gets an outside shot that’s consistent enough, he’ll be an INSTANT All-Star. Same if we get legit shooters.

wow, mags. that might be the most accurate comp i've seen yet. especially younger steph.

steph was a more polished passer, but this comp has really given me pause. i like it better than derrick rose, because DSJ doesn't have that tunnel vision. i trust that he sees the court pretty well, just doesn't always make good decisions. you'd think that can improve with time.

if we were hangning onto our kids and picks, then ideally KD would come and bring kawhi or middleton. but does that group have the luxury of patience with young lead guards? you want to win now, a lesser talented vet pro might be a better idea for the win-now window.

DSJ
kawhi or middleton
KD
vet goon
money makin' mitch

very interesting group. but to win in 2019, DSJ might have to take a backseat to a ring chaser type.

and if you're all-in for a chip... i hate to say, all of our beloved kids and picks are fair game for deals for proven winners.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,180

Post#149 » by DOT » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:19 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:DSJr looks good, no doubt. Also, no doubt the Knicks have some inconsistent shooters - Knox has been off/on all season and DSJr arrived when Vonleh was in his "I'm not going to make any more jump shots" phase.

And the potential assist numbers look high. But since a good shooting team shoots 50%, I'd assume all PG's have assists missed. What's the delta between him and the other PG's - or at least the league average?

I think on average most PG's have assists that are roughly 60, 70 percent of potential assists

I know having less than half of potential assists be converted is well below what it should be

That number would be 9th in potential assists and 23rd in apg, so in this scenario, just fyi

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#150 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:26 pm

K-DOT wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:DSJr looks good, no doubt. Also, no doubt the Knicks have some inconsistent shooters - Knox has been off/on all season and DSJr arrived when Vonleh was in his "I'm not going to make any more jump shots" phase.

I think on average most PG's have assists that are roughly 60, 70 percent of potential assists

I know having less than half of potential assists be converted is well below what it should be

That number would be 9th in potential assists and 23rd in apg, so in this scenario, just fyi

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

well done, y'all.

i appreciate the fairness and context being applied to the "potential assists" stat here.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#151 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:26 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
magnumt wrote:

wow, mags. that might be the most accurate comp i've seen yet. especially younger steph.

steph was a more polished passer, but this comp has really given me pause. i like it better than derrick rose, because DSJ doesn't have that tunnel vision. i trust that he sees the court pretty well, just doesn't always make good decisions. you'd think that can improve with time.

if we were hangning onto our kids and picks, then ideally KD would come and bring kawhi or middleton. but does that group have the luxury of patience with young lead guards? you want to win now, a lesser talented vet pro might be a better idea for the win-now window.

DSJ
kawhi or middleton
KD
vet goon
money makin' mitch

very interesting group. but to win in 2019, DSJ might have to take a backseat to a ring chaser type.

and if you're all-in for a chip... i hate to say, all of our beloved kids and picks are fair game for deals for proven winners.

Let's continue to roll with the Marbs comparison, pros and cons.

Marbs, if I'm on in analyzing his game and also with the generally received wisdom, was a talented, if ball dominant PG, who skewed towards being a scoring PG, but was a good passer, but mostly in the drive and kick, and had a reputation, which may or may not have been deserved, of lacking that sort of heady floor general PG thing.

So, IF DSJr adds a jumper - I think he will, which player(s) do you pair him with to mitigate the downsides of Marbury 2.0? Offensive side of the ball only. We'll assume DSJr will defend enough to guard most PG's to the extent any PG is allowed to play defense in the current NBA.

I'd say he needs a secondary playmaker who's good at organizing the offense and the team in general would have to have good shooters, as shots will be there after the kick.

So, P&R C
3 shooters on the floor with DSJr - ideally
PG/SG/SF - doesn't matter which position - who is a secondary playmaker, but good at organizing the spacing of the team. Obviously, a good knock down shooter.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#152 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:32 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
magnumt wrote:

DSJ
kawhi or middleton
KD
vet goon
money makin' mitch

Marbs, if I'm on in analyzing his game and also with the generally received wisdom, was a talented, if ball dominant PG, who skewed towards being a scoring PG, but was a good passer, but mostly in the drive and kick, and had a reputation, which may or may not have been deserved, of lacking that sort of heady floor general PG thing.

So, IF DSJr adds a jumper - I think he will, which player(s) do you pair him with to mitigate the downsides of Marbury 2.0? Offensive side of the ball only. We'll assume DSJr will defend enough to guard most PG's to the extent any PG is allowed to play defense in the current NBA.

I'd say he needs a secondary playmaker who's good at organizing the offense and the team in general would have to have good shooters, as shots will be there after the kick.

So, P&R C
PG/SG/SF - doesn't matter which position - who is a secondary playmaker, but good at organizing the spacing of the team. Obviously, a good knock down shooter.

i agree with the offensive composition you present here.

so... i think junior actually mitigates some of the marbury downsides. i look at player comps more as style. for example, marbury was a more polished passer, but DSJ is a more willing and risky passer. marbury wasn't going to give up the ball to take a major risk when he knew he was usually #1 scoring option anyway. junior will create with passing in mind, but make a crazy pass or bad jump pass.

i completely agree that DSJ should play with another guard who is also a playmaker. i think in the short term it's worth looking at frank's ability to do that.

but i think every backcourt should have two playmakers if possible. i hate that responsibility falling on one guy. and as knick fans, we should always remember our last championship having been with a dual PG lineup in clyde and pearl. marbury and francis were the wario of that. :lol:
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Icandoallthings
Senior
And1: 337

Post#153 » by Icandoallthings » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:40 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

DSJ
kawhi or middleton
KD
vet goon
money makin' mitch

So, P&R C

so... i think junior actually mitigates some of the marbury downsides. i look at player comps more as style. for example, marbury was a more polished passer, but DSJ is a more willing and risky passer. marbury wasn't going to give up the ball to take a major risk when he knew he was usually #1 scoring option anyway. junior will create with passing in mind, but make a crazy pass or bad jump pass.

i completely agree that DSJ should play with another guard who is also a playmaker. i think in the short term it's worth looking at frank's ability to do that.

but i think every backcourt should have two playmakers if possible. i hate that responsibility falling on one guy. and as knick fans, we should always remember our last championship having been with a dual PG lineup in clyde and pearl. marbury and francis were the wario of that. :lol:

I agree with your point but they did try that in Dallas and it didn't work for Smith. In theory Luka and Smith would have been a great backcourt but it didn't seem to work. I don't know why it led to problems but it did. Just something to consider.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#154 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:43 pm

Icandoallthings wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

So, P&R C

I agree with your point but they did try that in Dallas and it didn't work for Smith. In theory Luka and Smith would have been a great backcourt but it didn't seem to work. I don't know why it led to problems but it did. Just something to consider.

The difference here is that DSJr would be the primary creator much more often
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,258
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#155 » by BKlutch » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:18 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Afterward, coach David Fizdale called on Smith to get into better condition because the Knicks need him to be “The Man” — unlike in Dallas, where Luka Doncic was that.

“I do [agree],” Smith said. “[Fizdale’s] placing a larger load on me, larger than I ever had in Dallas in terms of responsibility. That’s what I want. That’s what you need to be one of the great players in this league.

“I’m taking the challenge head on. It is a lot more. I got to get into the paint. My minutes are up here, way higher than they were in Dallas. It’s an adjustment. Any challenge I’m taking head on. I can be in better shape, for sure.”

In his seven games with the Knicks, Smith is averaging 17 points and six assists, but shooting just 42.7 percent. As explosive as he is getting to the rim, Smith needs to shoot better from beyond the 3-point arc, lessen his turnovers and have more energy on defense.

“He’s just been up and down,’’ Fizdale said. “A big part of it is — like I told him — I think he can get in a lot better condition.

“He came to us, he was only playing [28] minutes a night in Dallas and he just came off being away from the team for about a week [on sabbatical]. What he’s being asked to do now is defend full court and get in the paint and make plays for everybody. So I’m raising up his load and he’s playing more minutes. I just think for him it’s just a matter of getting in great shape so consistency can hit.”

“It would’ve been nice to be drafted by the Knicks,” Smith said in Atlanta. “They were the eighth pick. I fell to the ninth. Whatever situation, I’m going to take full advantage of it. Some stuff is out of your control. Now I’m a Knick. I’m super excited to be here, and I’m going to give my all for the team.”

But Smith said patience is needed. Being the floor general of a new squad isn’t easy.

“I’m still learning [the plays],” Smith said. “It’s going to take time. This group is a different group for me because last year and even this year, I played with a bunch of veterans. Now with guys my age, sometimes I see mistakes they make [that] vets would get on me about. It’s just an adjustment. I’m all in for it. There’s things I can help them as well. I think it’s a beautiful process.”

As a rookie, Smith was in the dunk contest and didn’t make the finals. He has been in consultation with famous rapper friend J. Cole from his hometown of Fayettville, NC — which is just 180 miles from Charlotte.

On Saturday, Smith faces Hornets high-flyer Miles Bridges, the Hawks’ John Collins and Queens product Hamidou Diallo of the Thunder.

“Nate talked to me [Wednesday] about the dunk contest — more well-wishes,” Smith said. “Just well wishes. [J. Cole] is helping me with ideas. I got a couple of pretty cool dunks. I’ll see how they judge it. I’m just looking to have some fun Saturday.”

He really demonstrates a good attitude and good understanding of his role and of his teammates. I've seen far less intelligent assessments over the past number of years from some of our other "attempted guards," so this is encouraging. He's got the physical skills to take this are far as he wants to go. If he wants to be all NBA, he can put in the work and he'll have a chance at succeeding. For once, a guy whose career is on the upswing. 3tH, you deserve to root for a guy with a future.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Icandoallthings
Senior

Post#156 » by Icandoallthings » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:55 am

cuyankees wrote:

Asking for a friend

Ok I laughed.
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#157 » by cuyankees » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:57 am

Icandoallthings wrote:
cuyankees wrote:

Asking for a friend

Ok I laughed.

Go to the OT Amazon thread for some more laughs!
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,348

Post#158 » by dakomish23 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:36 am

Tied for 12th. Not bad.

I still think he’s better off as a score first guy but good to see he’s trying to get dudes involved.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Icandoallthings
Senior

Post#159 » by Icandoallthings » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:05 am

Does this stat tell you if the shots being created were good shots?
Like if I spent 50 possessions holding the ball for 23 seconds then pass the ball to a teammate to chuck up a terrible shot. Would I have 50 potential assists?
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#160 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:14 am

Icandoallthings wrote:

Does this stat tell you if the shots being created were good shots?
Like if I spent 50 possessions holding the ball for 23 seconds then pass the ball to a teammate to chuck up a terrible shot. Would I have 50 potential assists?

You tried too hard with that one

Return to New York Knicks