ImageImageImageImageImage

Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,974

Re: Dennis Smith Jr Thread 

Post#61 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:57 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Sark wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:He's Derrick Rose 2.0. No?

Derrick Rose 0.5

3tothehead be like

mvp rose couldn't shoot, but was still kind of unstoppable. he really imposed his will in the paint.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,348

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#62 » by Phish Tank » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:57 pm

it'll be fun watching him the rest of the season.. hopefully the losing doesn't frustrate him too much
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#63 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:58 pm

GONYK wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
GONYK wrote:So far, offensively, he's providing what Rose gave us. A bit more passing, and better defense.

Rose had tunnel vision and a complete aversion to even attempting 3's. Smith has been better in those regards.

rose had a good mid-range going. i thought his shooting percentages were pretty good in NY. if junior could improve his shot the way rose has, he could be a better player overall because he's a better passer. much purer point than rose ever was.

The issue with Rose is that he only shot mid-range or layups, and always played the PnR to his shot. The dude played entirely for himself.

DSJ doesn't have that issue, but it's hard to get a sense of his feel for the game due to his youth and the talent around him at this point. Especially since we aren't running anything other than a bunch of PnR's for him. He's been good in his role, if inconsistent.

He's given us all a reason to watch this season though, so that's worth something. :lol:

yes on all accounts. junior is trying to get others involved. doesn't strike me as selfish. never has.

rose been about option #1. :lol:
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
ny-n-md
Sixth Man
And1: 1,386

Post#64 » by ny-n-md » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:04 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:accidentally responded in a locked thread.

ny-n-md wrote:Having this kid just feels right. Should’ve drafted him in the first place. Could be the best PG from his draft class. He’s young with a whole lot of upside.

It’s still early. When it’s all said and done, DSJ could still be the best PG. Some players start off better than others but then they plateau, while others keep improving. The kid has all the tools is all I’m saying.

I love Fox though and right now he’s leading the pack.
JUST PLAY THE KIDS ALREADY!!!!!
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#65 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:09 pm

ny-n-md wrote:

ny-n-md wrote:Having this kid just feels right. Should’ve drafted him in the first place. Could be the best PG from his draft class. He’s young with a whole lot of upside.

It’s still early. When it’s all said and done, DSJ could still be the best PG. Some players start off better than others but then they plateau, while others keep improving. The kid has all the tools is all I’m saying.

i couldn't agree more. way too early. fox looks legit.

i disagree about one thing, junior is missing a very key tool that i was always concerned about with him. his athletic gifts are immense. he is a skilled passer. talented in the paint. i don't trust his jump shot... or his free throws. he gets his shooting together, he's a problem.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,119

Post#66 » by blueNorange » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:16 pm

it's very easy to see dsj's flaws.

as long as that hitch is there, he probably won't be a threat on the perimeter. he's also off balance a lot on shots.

what's with these kids thinking they can be kobe and shoot off balanced?
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
CDAZ
Head Coach
And1: 2,256

Post#67 » by CDAZ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:16 pm

Phish Tank wrote:it'll be fun watching him the rest of the season.. hopefully the losing doesn't frustrate him too much

What was he winning in dallas?
CDAZ
Head Coach
And1: 2,256

Post#68 » by CDAZ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:20 pm

ny-n-md wrote:

I was just about to say Fox got something to say about that comment. Kid has been solid all season long.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,348

Post#69 » by Phish Tank » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:24 pm

CDAZ wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:it'll be fun watching him the rest of the season.. hopefully the losing doesn't frustrate him too much

What was he winning in dallas?

idk but he seems to get easily frustrated from what I'm reading about recently. Someone mentioned about the body language thing.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,526

Post#70 » by KnicksGod » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:43 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:But his percentages have been decent and much better than his rookie year so the shot must have been falling in Dallas.

He's adjusting to being a Knick. Very understandable lol.

it is long range shooting tho? i don't know. if anyone has the shot chart/splits, i'm curious. not curious enough to pull it up myself tho.

shot selection goes a long way. but if he's taking more layups, that's good. just doesn't indicate improvement from distance.

if he has, that's awesome.

All I know is that he was shooting about 35% from 3 when we got him.
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,382

Post#71 » by drekwins » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:44 pm

ny-n-md wrote:

i.e. - Tyreke Evans (won ROY) vs. Steph, Jrue, Teague, Rubio

Fox is very good. DSJ may not be better but he can still be very good. Fox might be the best PG in the league someday or close to it. There hasn't been a lot of PG talent to flood the NBA recently. IMO, Fox, Luka (if you consider him a PG), Russell, Simmons and Murray are the best of the last 5 years. Others to consider are: Elfrid Payton, Lavine, Smart, Rozier, Dunn, Brogdon, Levert, Fultz, Lonzo, Frank, DSJ, Trae Young, Sexton, Shai...

I think Luka is the clear cut number 1 of the last 5 years... Fox is right behind him though in a race for second. DSJ can be up there with anyone if he keeps improving.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,086

Post#72 » by stuporman » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:27 pm

I'm going to allow him time to develop but unless he improves in some key areas he won't become a winning player or a major piece to a winning team and just be a player who gets empty stats sometimes in a spectacular way.

Specifically those key areas are, his jumper in all different ways he takes them, his FT shot needs to get better because if he's going to get attempts he needs to make a better rate of them and his defensive consistency both individually and in a team concept.

Highlight reel plays that make fans go ooh and aaahh but don't make the players around him better or the team better doesn't impress me. Obviously on the current Knicks team with all the young players in development mode the wins aren't going to be very many.

So, I'm not sure we will be able to make any judgement about his impact on team play for the rest of this season because it's a tanking season and this may become a moot point if the Knicks add a star at the PG position in FA so......... time will tell.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,870

Post#73 » by Spree2Houston » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:32 pm

Guy looks like a better version of Emannuel Mudiay. Not great but not bad either. It's a wait and see approach. His career trajectory will heavily depend if he can develop a good jumpshot. If he can, then he will develop into an all-star. If he can't, then he's going to be a back-up on a contending team.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#74 » by NYKAL » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 pm

I think he's so happy to be away from Coach Rick who never let him play with any freedom even before they fell in love with their shiny new toy. I don't think there is enough season left to dampen his spirits.
Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,870

Post#75 » by Spree2Houston » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:52 pm

One thing I will say, I would rather have DSJR over Lonzo Ball 10/10 times
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,382

Post#76 » by drekwins » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:44 pm

Spree2Houston wrote:Guy looks like a better version of Emannuel Mudiay. Not great but not bad either. It's a wait and see approach. His career trajectory will heavily depend if he can develop a good jumpshot. If he can, then he will develop into an all-star. If he can't, then he's going to be a back-up on a contending team.

That's like saying that Porzingis is a better version of Alex Len lol Mudiay has a large sample size of data showing that he's not good. DSJ had a great rookie year and finished 5th in ROY voting (over Fox, Frank, Fultz and Lonzo). Simmons was first, followed by Mitchell, Tatum and Kuzma... it was a very good class.

The dude came out of the gates putting up 15, 5 and 4... and is clearly a starting PG in the NBA... at 21 years old. Ya'll are comparing him to guys like Kyrie (ROY - 1st pick), Rose (MVP, 1st pick and ROY), CP3 (Legend), Curry (Legend), Lillard (6th overall pick but didn't enter the league until he was 23), Wall (1st overall pick, ROY)...

Compare him fairly...

Kemba - DSJ was better at the same age
Westbrook - DSJ is a better shooter RIGHT NOW than Westbrook ever was (shot 22% from 3 at 21 years old)
Simmons - Can't shoot whatsoever
Conley - Always been a streaky shooter. Didn't become big time until 25-26 years old.
Lowry - They almost traded him for Shump... the dude was a late bloomer (SHOT 25% from 3 at 21 years old, 69% from FT line)
Rubio - Has only shot 41% or better once... terrible 3pt shooter. DSJ is a better 3pt shooter right now.
Bledsoe - At 22, he shot 20% from 3. Terrible AST/TO percentage.
Dragic - Not a good FT shooters. Not nearly as good of a 3pt shooter or passer as people assume. DSJ is about equal to his shooting ability right now.

Bottom line: All of you suggest alternates like there's other options available who are better. You want a 21 year old that makes perfect decisions, hits 38-40% from 3, has a 3:1 AST/TO ratio, plays stellar defense, can create offense for others and himself on demand.....

YOU ARE DESCRIBING SOMEONE THATS BETTER THAN GARY PAYTON! STEVE NASH DOESNT MEET THIS IMPOSSIBLE STANDARD! JKIDD DOESNT EITHER.

Compare DSJ today vs. Lowry, Kemba, Bledsoe and Dragic's stats... he EASILY meets that standard...
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,710

Post#77 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:45 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Sark wrote:

Derrick Rose 0.5

3tothehead be like

mvp rose couldn't shoot, but was still kind of unstoppable. he really imposed his will in the paint.

He's shooting over 40% from 3 this year last I heard.
Free Palestine
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,501

Post#78 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:33 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Sark wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:He's Derrick Rose 2.0. No?

Derrick Rose 0.5

3tothehead be like

Tbh the only thing that him and rose have in comparison is athleticism. Smith plays defense and can actually run point
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#79 » by Thugger HBC » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:50 pm

I still call Dennis young Marbury without the issues.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,119

Post#80 » by blueNorange » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:34 am

Thugger HBC wrote:I still call Dennis young Marbury without the issues.

spot on comp tbh.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.

Return to New York Knicks