ImageImageImageImageImage

Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, j4remi, King of Canada, Capn'O, mpharris36, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mrpoetryNmotion, GONYK, Thugger HBC, K-DOT

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 19,740
And1: 12,968
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
     

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#981 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:07 pm

MadGrinch wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:why we even talking about frank here?

Because the topic shifted to who starts at point guard

And that will be frank


i see the shift. and it's looking a lot like a derail. i hope we get back to DSJ and not the general starting PG debate. that would be best for another thread.
RIP magnumt

all we got iz us szn(s)
MadGrinch
Veteran
Posts: 2,757
And1: 339
Joined: Jan 31, 2002
Location: NYC of course

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#982 » by MadGrinch » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:42 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
MadGrinch wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:why we even talking about frank here?

Because the topic shifted to who starts at point guard

And that will be frank


i see the shift. and it's looking a lot like a derail. i hope we get back to DSJ and not the general starting PG debate. that would be best for another thread.


Maybe but I didn’t cause the shift just merely explained it.
Its because I'm green isn't it?
User avatar
3toheadmelo
RealGM
Posts: 31,937
And1: 26,572
Joined: Feb 15, 2015
 

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#983 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:52 am

Dope interview. Talks about doing whatever it takes to help RJ win ROY, coming into this season with a chip on a shoulder and wanting to be a leader, defense and being in elite condition being the main keys for this team, high praise for Fiz and some other cool stuff.
Cavs Nation
Dennis Smith Jr/Dunn/Cook
Zach Lavine/Frank Jackson/Brown Jr
Jayson Tatum/Osman/O'Neale
Julius Randle/DFS/Bolden
Deandre Ayton/Bam

It's like when n*ggas make subliminal records
If it ain't directed directly at me, I don't respect it
User avatar
3toheadmelo
RealGM
Posts: 31,937
And1: 26,572
Joined: Feb 15, 2015
 

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#984 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:07 am

Cavs Nation
Dennis Smith Jr/Dunn/Cook
Zach Lavine/Frank Jackson/Brown Jr
Jayson Tatum/Osman/O'Neale
Julius Randle/DFS/Bolden
Deandre Ayton/Bam

It's like when n*ggas make subliminal records
If it ain't directed directly at me, I don't respect it
HerSports85
General Manager
Posts: 7,544
And1: 5,515
Joined: Dec 22, 2011
 

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#985 » by HerSports85 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:21 pm

Image

“Our team, it’s really a group of guys that wanna hoop, compete at a high level and win games,” he said. “I think if we build this identity early of a real selfless team that’s gonna scrap on both ends of the court, I think we can be pretty good this year, and then build on that for years to come.”


“It’s just been relentless work. I feel like I’ve got something to prove,” he said. “I’ve got a chip on my shoulder still, but I’ve just been working. I try to attack each day and look at it as if I didn’t leave anything on the table. I got the most out of my day. ... I’m gonna come in, bring that into training camp and be a leader, lead by example, earn my respect from these guys and then carry that into the season.”
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 19,740
And1: 12,968
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
     

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#986 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:03 pm

MadGrinch wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
MadGrinch wrote: Because the topic shifted to who starts at point guard

And that will be frank


i see the shift. and it's looking a lot like a derail. i hope we get back to DSJ and not the general starting PG debate. that would be best for another thread.


Maybe but I didn’t cause the shift just merely explained it.


didn't accuse you of anything. just responded to you.
RIP magnumt

all we got iz us szn(s)
User avatar
3toheadmelo
RealGM
Posts: 31,937
And1: 26,572
Joined: Feb 15, 2015
 

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#987 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:18 pm

HerSports85 wrote:Image

“Our team, it’s really a group of guys that wanna hoop, compete at a high level and win games,” he said. “I think if we build this identity early of a real selfless team that’s gonna scrap on both ends of the court, I think we can be pretty good this year, and then build on that for years to come.”


“It’s just been relentless work. I feel like I’ve got something to prove,” he said. “I’ve got a chip on my shoulder still, but I’ve just been working. I try to attack each day and look at it as if I didn’t leave anything on the table. I got the most out of my day. ... I’m gonna come in, bring that into training camp and be a leader, lead by example, earn my respect from these guys and then carry that into the season.”

Hearing those comments from DSJ and Knox about the team, there’s definitely a different vibe about this squad than previous years. Love it. Pretty excited for this season. Don’t care about what the media or Knicks haters wanna say.
Cavs Nation
Dennis Smith Jr/Dunn/Cook
Zach Lavine/Frank Jackson/Brown Jr
Jayson Tatum/Osman/O'Neale
Julius Randle/DFS/Bolden
Deandre Ayton/Bam

It's like when n*ggas make subliminal records
If it ain't directed directly at me, I don't respect it
User avatar
F N 11
RealGM
Posts: 49,365
And1: 22,901
Joined: Jun 27, 2006
Location: Getting over screens with Gusto.
Contact:
 

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#988 » by F N 11 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:57 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
HerSports85 wrote:Image

“Our team, it’s really a group of guys that wanna hoop, compete at a high level and win games,” he said. “I think if we build this identity early of a real selfless team that’s gonna scrap on both ends of the court, I think we can be pretty good this year, and then build on that for years to come.”


“It’s just been relentless work. I feel like I’ve got something to prove,” he said. “I’ve got a chip on my shoulder still, but I’ve just been working. I try to attack each day and look at it as if I didn’t leave anything on the table. I got the most out of my day. ... I’m gonna come in, bring that into training camp and be a leader, lead by example, earn my respect from these guys and then carry that into the season.”

Hearing those comments from DSJ and Knox about the team, there’s definitely a different vibe about this squad than previous years. Love it. Pretty excited for this season. Don’t care about what the media or Knicks haters wanna say.

This team wll be like 99. Mark my words.
Ntilikina/Knox/Mitch/RJ ARMY
amit wrote:Frank prime will be like 10 ppg. Hes not that kind of PG and we knew it since he got drafted. Thats why scorers players around frank will be the bast for him
Hes_On_Fire
Pro Prospect
Posts: 903
And1: 773
Joined: Dec 08, 2018

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#989 » by Hes_On_Fire » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:17 pm

Man, I'm a veteran a Knicks fan so all this sunshine and rainbows quotes from players/coaches/whatever don't do anything to me. Nice to hear, sure, but it doesn't get me excited at all. Just go out and prove it on the court. Let your game do the talking. I want to see some real progress from some guys this year, especially someone like DSJ who is entering his 3rd NBA season.

Knox has to make a big leap too. I don't have unrealistic expectations. Just be a productive player on the court with some decent defense and efficiency. That's all I ask.
User avatar
god shammgod
Knicks Forum Crazy Board Uncle
Posts: 94,406
And1: 52,785
Joined: Feb 18, 2006
Location: Never Too Early to Tank

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#990 » by god shammgod » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:00 pm

F N 11 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
HerSports85 wrote:Image




Hearing those comments from DSJ and Knox about the team, there’s definitely a different vibe about this squad than previous years. Love it. Pretty excited for this season. Don’t care about what the media or Knicks haters wanna say.

This team wll be like 99. Mark my words.


99 ? we're going to the finals ? :lol: the 99 team was filled with guys who were all-stars. houston, lj, spree, ewing. it's ok to be excited but this is ridiculous.
Image
Zenzibar
Senior
Posts: 637
And1: 484
Joined: Jan 10, 2019
         

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#991 » by Zenzibar » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:01 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
TruthBeTold wrote:The truth about Smith Jr. can't be revealed with practice highlights. :noway:

The truth about DSJ's improvement will start to show during preseason basketball.

My Prediction:
You will get the same DSJ from last season with improving shooting, that's all. I'm not buying any all star hype just yet.

However, I believe if Smith Jr. becomes a 80+% free throw shooter and an improve 3 pts shooter, all star selection might be a real possibility.

So Knicks fans, stay away from the DSJ practice dunk hype, unless it's being done during a NBA game. :nod: 8-)


True.

Also DSJ will have to outplay Frank in camp and scoring on Frankie Noodles will be a difficult task. To me Frank is going for that starting point guard spot and nothing less.
So DSJ will have to be extra ready.


:eek1:


What I said was that Frank is building the confidence ready to come to camp to get that. DSJ is the starting point in most predictions here, hopefully the winner is the most impactful.

Can we at the minimum agree that Mitch and Ntilikina are one of the top guard/center defensive tandems in the league?
Zenzibar
Senior
Posts: 637
And1: 484
Joined: Jan 10, 2019
         

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#992 » by Zenzibar » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:07 pm

taj2133 wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
TruthBeTold wrote:The truth about Smith Jr. can't be revealed with practice highlights. :noway:

The truth about DSJ's improvement will start to show during preseason basketball.

My Prediction:
You will get the same DSJ from last season with improving shooting, that's all. I'm not buying any all star hype just yet.

However, I believe if Smith Jr. becomes a 80+% free throw shooter and an improve 3 pts shooter, all star selection might be a real possibility.

So Knicks fans, stay away from the DSJ practice dunk hype, unless it's being done during a NBA game. :nod: 8-)


True.

Also DSJ will have to outplay Frank in camp and scoring on Frankie Noodles will be a difficult task. To me Frank is going for that starting point guard spot and nothing less.
So DSJ will have to be extra ready.

I doubt frank will be the starter he will have to complete 180 in camp and everything will have to be perfect for frank and management. I see dsj as the starting point guard if frank wins the job props to him i would be impressed if he did.


Then why not start both?
User avatar
3toheadmelo
RealGM
Posts: 31,937
And1: 26,572
Joined: Feb 15, 2015
 

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#993 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:06 pm

Read on Twitter
Cavs Nation
Dennis Smith Jr/Dunn/Cook
Zach Lavine/Frank Jackson/Brown Jr
Jayson Tatum/Osman/O'Neale
Julius Randle/DFS/Bolden
Deandre Ayton/Bam

It's like when n*ggas make subliminal records
If it ain't directed directly at me, I don't respect it
Thugger HBC
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 48,359
And1: 17,054
Joined: Jan 14, 2011
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?
       

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#994 » by Thugger HBC » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:27 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
True.

Also DSJ will have to outplay Frank in camp and scoring on Frankie Noodles will be a difficult task. To me Frank is going for that starting point guard spot and nothing less.
So DSJ will have to be extra ready.


:eek1:


What I said was that Frank is building the confidence ready to come to camp to get that. DSJ is the starting point in most predictions here, hopefully the winner is the most impactful.

Can we at the minimum agree that Mitch and Ntilikina are one of the top guard/center defensive tandems in the league?


They dont have the minutes sample to state this. Their minutes sample does support the potential to fit that realm.
If winning matters, the role shouldn't.....the results should.

The ...02% of the fanbse be like...http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1542565&start=140#start_here
Thugger HBC
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 48,359
And1: 17,054
Joined: Jan 14, 2011
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?
       

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#995 » by Thugger HBC » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:31 pm

HerSports85 wrote:Image

“Our team, it’s really a group of guys that wanna hoop, compete at a high level and win games,” he said. “I think if we build this identity early of a real selfless team that’s gonna scrap on both ends of the court, I think we can be pretty good this year, and then build on that for years to come.”


“It’s just been relentless work. I feel like I’ve got something to prove,” he said. “I’ve got a chip on my shoulder still, but I’ve just been working. I try to attack each day and look at it as if I didn’t leave anything on the table. I got the most out of my day. ... I’m gonna come in, bring that into training camp and be a leader, lead by example, earn my respect from these guys and then carry that into the season.”

Playing hard is an identity? Where have I heard that before?

Image
If winning matters, the role shouldn't.....the results should.

The ...02% of the fanbse be like...http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1542565&start=140#start_here
User avatar
god shammgod
Knicks Forum Crazy Board Uncle
Posts: 94,406
And1: 52,785
Joined: Feb 18, 2006
Location: Never Too Early to Tank

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#996 » by god shammgod » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:14 am

stop trying to throw frank in with mitch. the stats show how great mitch is with or without frank. it's why we don't have to argue over mitch. it's obvious.
Image
User avatar
ITGM
RealGM
Posts: 18,243
And1: 5,930
Joined: Jan 16, 2008

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#997 » by ITGM » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:27 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
Read on Twitter



Image
User avatar
stuporman
RealGM
Posts: 20,916
And1: 6,103
Joined: Nov 27, 2005
Location: SELL THE KNICKS!

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#998 » by stuporman » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:54 am

The starting spot is DSJ's to lose.......
Image?
User avatar
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 15,898
And1: 2,664
Joined: May 08, 2002
Location: Optimistic but realistic

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#999 » by aq_ua » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:16 am

god shammgod wrote:
F N 11 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:Hearing those comments from DSJ and Knox about the team, there’s definitely a different vibe about this squad than previous years. Love it. Pretty excited for this season. Don’t care about what the media or Knicks haters wanna say.

This team wll be like 99. Mark my words.


99 ? we're going to the finals ? :lol: the 99 team was filled with guys who were all-stars. houston, lj, spree, ewing. it's ok to be excited but this is ridiculous.

Just means the season is going to end in 50 games.
User avatar
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
Posts: 45,007
And1: 9,577
Joined: Jul 29, 2005
Location: nyc

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#1000 » by blueNorange » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:16 am

dsj has promoted himself well this offseason, however at the end of the day he has to back it up because year 3 is the year people either consider you just a player on the team or part of the core.

same goes for frank.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
Image
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.

Return to New York Knicks