ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: The Walking Dead, Season 9 - Whisperer Arc

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,709

OT: The Walking Dead, Season 9 - Whisperer Arc 

Post#1 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:02 am

Was wondering if anyone here has jumped back onto the show? Scott Gimple really screwed up the Negan and the Saviors in seasons 7 and 9 but Angela Kang has got the show back on track. So far, it's been a great season. If you originally was a fan of the show but jumped ship in season 7 or 8, I would encourage you to watch season 9. It's been great.

Alpha just got introduced to the group.

Here's Beta

Free Palestine
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,381

Re: OT: The Walking Dead, Season 9 - Whisperer Arc 

Post#2 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:50 am

Do you like it? I tuned out after Rick was....removed.

Totally understand the guy wants some time with his family.

Anyway, this was the last story I liked from the graphic novel, and I lost interest in it after this - I sort of felt they needed to end it instead of exploring the same 3 themes, but anyway, I was sort of sick of the TV show and decided it was time to move on.

A friend was saying he thought it was good and I asked if they were doing the Whisperers and he said yes, so I figured I'd go back and at least watch this bit.
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,751

Post#3 » by Fat » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:01 pm

It’s actually good so far I still watch the show off the strength I’ve been watching since season 1 up until now. So I’ll probably never stop watching until it comes to a full stop.

I’ve breezed through some of the comic spoilers so I pretty much know what to expect with the show assuming it’ll be pretty similar to the comic

Negan is currently my favorite character on the show and the bond between him and ricks daughter is fun to watch

But yeah The walking dead is a predictive show. Characters form a bond, new enemy approaches, war, deaths rinse and repeat lol.

I’d like to see the show do something genuinely different
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,212

Post#4 » by Kampuchea » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:55 pm

Stopped watching it and not going back yet. I’ll wait until the show is done and binge it.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,310

Post#5 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:03 pm

I was dying through the Negan war. I watched but, it was torturous. I really like the direction they went since. The Rick story splits off. It's just a better show now. The rinse and repeat story lines gotta go though. They should work a new angle in to the show. A cure...or vaccine. A real safe haven they have to journey to. Something.

I would really love a show based on the video game The Last of Us. Would have been so much better.
:beer: RIP mags
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#6 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:02 pm

FatboyRealPetty wrote:It’s actually good so far I still watch the show off the strength I’ve been watching since season 1 up until now. So I’ll probably never stop watching until it comes to a full stop.

I’ve breezed through some of the comic spoilers so I pretty much know what to expect with the show assuming it’ll be pretty similar to the comic

Negan is currently my favorite character on the show and the bond between him and ricks daughter is fun to watch

But yeah The walking dead is a predictive show. Characters form a bond, new enemy approaches, war, deaths rinse and repeat lol.

Notice Negan’s resemblance to Alpha’s deceased hubby?
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#7 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:02 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:I was dying through the Negan war. I watched but, it was torturous. I really like the direction they went since. The Rick story splits off. It's just a better show now. The rinse and repeat story lines gotta go though. They should work a new angle in to the show. A cure...or vaccine. A real safe haven they have to journey to. Something.

I would really love a show based on the video game The Last of Us. Would have been so much better.

No more Scott Gimple thankfully
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,653

Post#8 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:44 pm

The Whisperer's story started off with a bang in the comics and then had the lamest ending ever. Well, no, the end of the war with the Saviors was probably lamer. "Let's peacefully trade? Why didn't I think of that?"

The problem wasn't really Gimple although he was bad. The problem is the source material is really bad now and as long as they follow it it will produce some really bad TV.

The show is better for the cast shakeups and I think we're going to be down to Carol and Daryl as the only remaining original cast members soon.
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,751

Post#9 » by Fat » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:14 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
FatboyRealPetty wrote:It’s actually good so far I still watch the show off the strength I’ve been watching since season 1 up until now. So I’ll probably never stop watching until it comes to a full stop.

I never looked at him in that light lol but he sorta does resemble him somewhat
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
frogfood
Suspended
And1: 1,609

Post#10 » by frogfood » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:38 pm

Going in with low expectations though unlike say, True Detective, I'm liking it.

Gimple still sucks, and the slashed budget shows. IDK, I'm just not grossly offended as i used to be at the shows stupidity. I like the actress who plays Alpha.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#11 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:42 pm

FatboyRealPetty wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

I never looked at him in that light lol but he sorta does resemble him somewhat

Tall, dark-haired, slender good-looking (no homo ... NTTAWWI)
Free Palestine
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 127,028

Post#12 » by god shammgod » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:43 pm

this episode was ok. the one before was genuinely creepy and had a real horror atmosphere which you don't usually get on this show nowadays. more of that please. and i don't really need to see grown judith ever again to be honest. i'm like fatboy, i'll keep watching till it's over i imagine.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#13 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:44 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:The Whisperer's story started off with a bang in the comics and then had the lamest ending ever. Well, no, the end of the war with the Saviors was probably lamer. "Let's peacefully trade? Why didn't I think of that?"

The problem wasn't really Gimple although he was bad. The problem is the source material is really bad now and as long as they follow it it will produce some really bad TV.

The show is better for the cast shakeups and I think we're going to be down to Carol and Daryl as the only remaining original cast members soon.

Well, Negan had his rules. :lol: You can say the same thing about every war that's ever taken place, in real life.
Free Palestine
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#14 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:56 pm

Death match, about to strike the deathblow the other guy says how about trade and you let your guard down enough to get your throat slashed? You run a protection racket. How do you not know about trade?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#15 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:34 pm

I feel the same way about the show as I felt about the comic. It's a cool story. It's a cool rumination on right and wrong, how societies organize etc, but at some point it needed a direction and an end. Like a cure, everybody dies, everything is a group of feudal city states...whatever.
Instead, both are just going on and on.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM

Post#16 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:36 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:I feel the same way about the show as I felt about the comic. It's a cool story. It's a cool rumination on right and wrong, how societies organize etc, but at some point it needed a direction and an end. Like a cure, everybody dies, everything is a group of feudal city states...whatever.
I thought the comic went to pot aftwr the governor. People wouldn't become such barbarians so quickly after an outbreak. Prey always band together to defend against predators.

thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#17 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:44 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:I feel the same way about the show as I felt about the comic. It's a cool story. It's a cool rumination on right and wrong, how societies organize etc, but at some point it needed a direction and an end. Like a cure, everybody dies, everything is a group of feudal city states...whatever.
I thought the comic went to pot aftwr the governor. People wouldn't become such barbarians so quickly after an outbreak. Prey always band together to defend against predators.

You're probably right, but I was still interested, but I think because I was made aware of Negan and all out war - I got into the comic years ago, but AFTER that story was done. I recall kind of starting to skim to get to it, and enjoyed that, and then it was a let down again, but I briefly got interested for "The Whisperers" but then whenever that flashback happened, if it was before or after, I was like "wtf" and bailed after the Whisperers. Show is feeling the same way.

I'll still check out this season just to catch the post Rick vibe and see the episodes folks have said are decent.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,310

Post#18 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:01 am

god shammgod wrote:this episode was ok. the one before was genuinely creepy and had a real horror atmosphere which you don't usually get on this show nowadays. more of that please. and i don't really need to see grown judith ever again to be honest. i'm like fatboy, i'll keep watching till it's over i imagine.

I'll stick with it as well. I was really close to walking away during the war with Negan. Before the actual war even. Not that it got better. If I can make it through that...:lol:

When did they show grown Judith?
:beer: RIP mags
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#19 » by GYK » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:36 am

I liked everything but for no reason they aren't giving up the girl. they essentially have three of yours and only want the captive girl you hold. I mean you have weapons and the high ground just death squad it but nope. three of yours going to die for someone that wasn't apart of your community.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#20 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:41 am

:lol: You can trash seasons 7 and 8 all you want, but this stuff is still gold

Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks