ImageImageImageImageImage

2019 Offseason Speculation Thread - Free Agency, Well Wishing, Trade Spec, Oh My

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Knick4Real
General Manager
And1: 7,573

Re: 2018-2019 Offseason Speculation Thread - Free Agency, Well Wishing, Trade Spec, Oh My 

Post#41 » by Knick4Real » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:29 pm

god shammgod wrote:
Knick4Real wrote:From a franchise building perspective, adding AD to KD and Kyrie might be overkill.

AD would cost us our 1st round pick (Zion?) and a few additional picks we've collected. AD would probably cost us Mitch as well. Also, AD has already said he's not signing longterm with ANYBODY. So, we'd be giving up the farm to get him only for him to become a 1 year rental and possibly bolt to the Lakers or wherever.

IF we get KD and Kyrie, keeping (Zion?), keeping Mitch, keeping DSJr (as a legit backup for Kyrie when injured), keeping our youth, keeping out additional draft picks, and keeping our flexibility to build a solid support roster around KD and Kyrie MIGHT be a better "franchise building" roadmap than adding AD at this time.

If AD wants NY and has a year to see our revamped team, he can always come in 2020 as a FA.

i agree with everything you're saying but the bolded is false. there won't be cap room for that.

If AD agrees to take less and we're able to clear a bit more space, it could be possible. I'm just saying at that point AD has control over the decision and not the Pelicans, who will want everything and the kitchen sink in order to rebuild their franchise.
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Re: 2018-2019 Offseason Speculation Thread - Free Agency, Well Wishing, Trade Spec, Oh My 

Post#42 » by DowNY » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:30 pm

You either go all in or don’t go at all.
There’s no half assing this anymore.
Any chance you can have 3 Top 10 players on your team, you do it. You’re gonna truly cry over Knox, Frank & DSJ? Dotson?
We found Kadeem Allen out the scrap lot and y’all love him. Y’all will be ok.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,924

Post#43 » by god shammgod » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:31 pm

Knick4Real wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
Knick4Real wrote:From a franchise building perspective, adding AD to KD and Kyrie might be overkill.

AD would cost us our 1st round pick (Zion?) and a few additional picks we've collected. AD would probably cost us Mitch as well. Also, AD has already said he's not signing longterm with ANYBODY. So, we'd be giving up the farm to get him only for him to become a 1 year rental and possibly bolt to the Lakers or wherever.

IF we get KD and Kyrie, keeping (Zion?), keeping Mitch, keeping DSJr (as a legit backup for Kyrie when injured), keeping our youth, keeping out additional draft picks, and keeping our flexibility to build a solid support roster around KD and Kyrie MIGHT be a better "franchise building" roadmap than adding AD at this time.

If AD wants NY and has a year to see our revamped team, he can always come in 2020 as a FA.

i agree with everything you're saying but the bolded is false. there won't be cap room for that.

If AD agrees to take less and we're able to clear a bit more space, it could be possible. I'm just saying at that point AD has control over the decision and not the Pelicans, who will want everything and the kitchen sink in order to rebuild their franchise.

no it's not possible at all. we're capped out after kyrie & kd. then we're gonna go over the cap because we have 2 first round picks in the summer of 2020. plus we'll probably use the mle this summer to go over the cap. there's no less, there's nothing.
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#44 » by god shammgod » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:32 pm

DowNY wrote:You either go all in or don’t go at all.
Any chance you can have 3 Top 10 players on your team, you do it. You’re gonna truly cry over Knox, Frank & DSJ? Dotson?

i don't care about any of them. giving up zion worries me though. if we draft romeo langford he can go f*ck himself to new orleans.
DowNY
RealGM

Post#45 » by DowNY » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:32 pm

Knick4Real wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

Nah, it wouldn’t. He’d literally have to take MLE to play here. If Kyrie is maxed and KD is maxed, plus every player salary increases (Knox, DSJ, Frank,etc) plus our pick next year....we’re over the cap. It’s not possible at all.
DowNY
RealGM

Post#46 » by DowNY » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:35 pm

god shammgod wrote:

i don't care about any of them. giving up zion worries me though. if we draft romeo langford he can go f*ck himself to new orleans.

Lol I can understand this. Maybe #2 is the best pick for us to get so it can ease the fanbase worries on an AD trade.

Everyone is assuming AD is only coming if we get the number 1 pick & letting go of Zion can be dangerous.
I think Pelicans are high on another player outside of Zion. Would put everybody at ease here if the decision is made for us. No chance to trade Zion because we didn’t get the 1st pick.
Cookies4Life
Rookie
And1: 1,411

Post#47 » by Cookies4Life » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:38 pm

Davis would come in a trade whereas we can sign KD and Kyrie outright without giving up any assets.If KD or Kyrie were available in trades I wouldn't want either guy here knowing how many assets it would take to get them.

Davis IMO is better than either guy considering he's younger than them and plays both ends at an elite level. I'd still hesitate to give up the farm for him because it's going to take essentially a starting 5 plus multiple picks to get him. That might be too much of a haul for one player.

I will say though if they did get Davis to pair up with KD and Kyrie, I'd imagine a bunch of vets who'd be able to make 5-10 million per season in the open market would probably come here to ring chase on minimum deals.

If this team really wants to have long term success rather than a 2-3 year window period to compete than they should consider the possibility that it might be a better idea to retain our entire young core and not dump the farm for one player. Who knows what players can become available by this summer or next AS break; we might be able to get a 3rd guy here through a trade without having to give up the entire farm to get them.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#48 » by dakomish23 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:39 pm

A lot of fans & media consider GSW / MIL / TOR / BOS / PHI as the top 5 teams in the NBA.

Outside of Kemba, most top FAs would be leaving a top 5 NBA team if they do leave.

Durant
Klay
Cousins
Middleton
Bledsoe
Brogdon
Kawhi
Gasol
Green
Irving
Butler
Harris
Reddick

This summer could be real boring as teams overpay to keep their guys.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Knick4Real
General Manager
And1: 7,573

Post#49 » by Knick4Real » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:41 pm

DowNY wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

Lol I can understand this. Maybe #2 is the best pick for us to get so it can ease the fanbase worries on an AD trade.

Everyone is assuming AD is only coming if we get the number 1 pick & letting go of Zion can be dangerous.
I think Pelicans are high on another player outside of Zion. Would put everybody at ease here if the decision is made for us. No chance to trade Zion because we didn’t get the 1st pick.

Yeah, I get it, and this makes sense. If we get #2 that makes an AD trade easier for the fans to accept.

I'm not sold on Frank, Knox, etc. My hope is that whatever happens, we're able to keep Mitch. He's a game changer.
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#50 » by cuyankees » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:44 pm

Glad to see this thread isn't disappointing w illegal/nonsensical trades for AD and rationalizing keeping projects over top 3 player in the league who hasn't hit his prime.

Only RGM bebe
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,386

Post#51 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:45 pm

It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#52 » by god shammgod » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:46 pm

dakomish23 wrote:A lot of fans & media consider GSW / MIL / TOR / BOS / PHI as the top 5 teams in the NBA.

Outside of Kemba, most top FAs would be leaving a top 5 NBA team if they do leave.

Durant
Klay
Cousins
Middleton
Bledsoe
Brogdon
Kawhi
Gasol
Green
Irving
Butler
Harris
Reddick

This summer could be real boring as teams overpay to keep their guys.

i think those guys are locks to stay...the others not so much.

the bucks have a lot of people to pay. are they willing to pay that much ? depends how far they go. ecf or finals. maybe.
the sixers will pay harris & butler because they gave up stuff to get them. will they also pay reddick ? same thing. how far do they go.
the raptors are in the hands of kawhi. he stays, they pay everyone. he leaves, they tear it up and nobody stays.
cousins is going wherever he can get the best payday. that aint golen state.
kd & kyrie are coming and you'll like it. the end.
Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Post#53 » by Dantares » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:46 pm

IMO AD is trying to force his way to LA still. All he has to do is say I won't commit to any team after my 1 year is done and he will probably be a Laker this summer.
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

Besart19
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Post#54 » by Besart19 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:48 pm

Mitch / Jordan / Kornet
Zion / Melo / Hezonja
Durant / Knox / Jenkins
Frank / Dotson / Trier
Irving / Smith / Allen

Ringchasers and buyout candidates only after deadline in mid-season after we see who from the youth deserves to be part of it
Strength and Honour!
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#55 » by god shammgod » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:49 pm

DowNY wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

i want zion. i'll figure out the rest later. getting zion does one other thing you're forgetting, it probably lets you keep mitch. drafting rui hachimura probably doesn't. (i know he won't be 5th, i just wanted to use a different name than romeo for comedy purposes)
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,386

Post#56 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:49 pm

Dantares wrote:IMO AD is trying to force his way to LA still. All he has to do is say I won't commit to any team after my 1 year is done and he will probably be a Laker this summer.

i think he's Boston or LA bound. that lakers offer is insane and if Boston includes Tatum, it will be hard for us to beat them. the only way possible i see us getting AD is by getting Zion and trading him imo
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,967

Post#57 » by knicks94 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:50 pm

Cookies4Life wrote:It's crazy to think how much AD would cost us in a trade- essentially we'd give up our lottery pick this year, Knox, Robinson, Frank and Dennis Smith. That's a potential starting 5 unit and a possible good one in a couple years. That's not even including extra FRP's that I'm sure the Pelicans would want in addition.

If we were lucky enough to land KD and Kyrie than obviously our rebuild takes a major shift to us being a team in a "win now" mode. I'd rather try to keep most of young core intact and see if we can get a third guy here by next year's trade deadline- someone like a Bradley Beal- who I'm sure wouldn't cost anywhere near the amount of assets that Davis would cost.

AD is a helluva player but that's some kind of haul for one guy. This team is in prime position to get max guys without having to give up the farm.

AD is a top 5 player and if the Knicks could acquire him for the package you've mentioned they need to make that move. I know the Knicks have an interesting young core of players but let's not overrate them. The guys that they currently have on their roster either will be good serviceable role players or borderline all-stars. DSJ will be expendable if Kyrie signs here, Frank has not shown much promise for a guy who was drafted so high, Knox is a long term project and nobody knows if he will ever be great, and as good as Mitchell has been playing recently he is still a mystery himself.
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Post#58 » by Besart19 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:50 pm

AD is not a winner.
Strength and Honour!
nykinoz
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 956

Post#59 » by nykinoz » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:55 pm

What would people think if we ended up with Jimmy Buckets and Kyrie?
Knicks fan since 1991
knicks94
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,967

Post#60 » by knicks94 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:58 pm

nykinoz wrote:What would people think if we ended up with Jimmy Buckets and Kyrie?

No thank you! Even when Butler was in Chicago his game didn't impress me.

Return to New York Knicks