ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Mitchell Robinson Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

RealGM
And1: 39,138

Re: Official Mitchell Robinson Thread 

Post#81 » by 2010 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:04 am

"Mercedes Mitch" is coming out of his shell!

Some players in the Knicks locker room have jokingly nicknamed their rookie center “Mercedes Mitch.’’

Mitchell Robinson, a car fanatic and amateur mechanic, recently inked an endorsement deal with Mercedes-Benz, which gave him a vehicle with which to play around.

Knicks coach David Fizdale calls his rising prospect “Mister Robinson.” It’s an ode to Robinson’s poise after hopping from high school to the NBA and eschewing college.

“I call him Mr. Robinson because I’ve just been so impressed with his maturity that I put mister in front of his last name,’’ Fizdale said. “He’s still a young guy, but he is very mature with his approach, how serious he is about competing, getting better, holding guys accountable. He’s got a very surprising level of maturity that I’ve been really impressed with. So I started about a month ago calling him Mr. Robinson. I said, ‘I’m going to call you mister from now on.’ ”

The athletic shot-blocking machine from New Orleans has already drawn comparisons to Patrick Ewing, and got a massive plug from owner James Dolan during his radio interview Tuesday.

“Mitchell Robinson is like a phenomenon,’’ Dolan said. “Mitchell Robinson was drafted in the second round, 36th overall. You know how many teams passed on Mitchell? How many wish they had Mitchell? What happened [is] he didn’t play, teams got scared. Steve [Mills] and Scott [Perry] saw his ability, what we can develop.’’

Robinson, 20, will likely smash Ewing’s rookie record for blocks per game. Ewing averaged 2.06. Robinson is averaging 2.4. Mr. Robinson’s Block Party will almost certainly see him break Kristaps Porzingis’ rookie record for most blocks in a season at 134. Robinson has 126.

“I think he’s got potential to be defensive player of the year,’’ Fizdale said. “Definitely lead the league in blocked shots. He’ll be a guy, too, as a center, he’ll be a top steals guy in that position. He gets his hands on a lot of things and anticipates really well. A lot of the stuff he’s doing — he didn’t play a whole year of basketball. All the stuff is new and fresh and he’s seen it for the first time and he’s doing what he’s doing. It’s pretty impressive.”

Robinson is soft spoken but with a sense of humor. In the locker room, he often pretends to be public relations director, asking reporters who they want to talk to and playfully deciding when media availability is over. He has nicknamed one beat writer Bus Driver — because he thinks he looks like one.

Regarding his Mercedes-Benz sponsorship as a reflection of a stout rookie season, Robinson said, “I’m working, trying to get better and good things are coming.”

He still needs to get stronger, though Fizdale has already seen growth. During the open scrimmage in October at the Garden, there was one notable play when Enes Kanter backed in on Robinson all the way to the hoop.

“You could see it in his post defense,’’ Fizdale said. “When you reflect back to summer league, guys would back him down and push him under the rim. That’s just not happening anymore. He’s really holding his ground well without fouling and being able to stay in place because his core is so much stronger.”

“I’m going to get stronger and I’m working on it,’’ Robinson said.

The next step is adding a jumper. Robinson is averaging 6.8 points, but has taken one jump shot all season — a 10-footer he made against Atlanta. He hoisted one jumper in preseason — an airball. In shooting 70 percent, his points come on either alley-oop dunks, putbacks or bunnies by the rim.

“Slowly but surely,’’ Fizdale said. “I feel comfortable with him letting it fly because his free throws are coming along. Anything outside the paint — the first thing we wanted to tackle was can he be a good free throw shooter? A lot of his stuff is in traffic, offensive rebounds, putbacks. The next layer will be allowing him to shoot pick-and-pop jump shots.’’

Though Fizdale doesn’t run plays for him, Robinson said there are shooting opportunities.

“I could when we run elbow action, the guys guarding me back up,’’ Robinson said. “I can shoot it. I like to go with the play. The play usually gets us an easier bucket probably than me shooting.”

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,595

Post#82 » by Capn'O » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:20 am

2010 wrote:
Knicks coach David Fizdale calls his rising prospect “Mister Robinson.” It’s an ode to Robinson’s poise after hopping from high school to the NBA and eschewing college.

“I call him Mr. Robinson because I’ve just been so impressed with his maturity that I put mister in front of his last name,’’ Fizdale said. “He’s still a young guy, but he is very mature with his approach, how serious he is about competing, getting better, holding guys accountable. He’s got a very surprising level of maturity that I’ve been really impressed with. So I started about a month ago calling him Mr.

I'm calling bull. He's seen the Eddie Murphy skit.

Bus Driver has got to be BOTP.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,595

Post#83 » by Capn'O » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:24 am

The reports in this thread are weird. Just work out the number discrepancies between yourselves without personal attacks. Salary **** is confusing sometimes w/ different numbers and options in different places.

I'm closing them.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Context
RealGM
And1: 11,880

Post#84 » by Context » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:37 am

2010 wrote:"Mercedes Mitch" is coming out of his shell!

Some players in the Knicks locker room have jokingly nicknamed their rookie center “Mercedes Mitch.’’

Mitchell Robinson, a car fanatic and amateur mechanic, recently inked an endorsement deal with Mercedes-Benz, which gave him a vehicle with which to play around.

“I call him Mr. Robinson because I’ve just been so impressed with his maturity that I put mister in front of his last name,’’ Fizdale said. “He’s still a young guy, but he is very mature with his approach, how serious he is about competing, getting better, holding guys accountable. He’s got a very surprising level of maturity that I’ve been really impressed with. So I started about a month ago calling him Mr. Robinson. I said, ‘I’m going to call you mister from now on.’ ”

The athletic shot-blocking machine from New Orleans has already drawn comparisons to Patrick Ewing, and got a massive plug from owner James Dolan during his radio interview Tuesday.

“Mitchell Robinson is like a phenomenon,’’ Dolan said. “Mitchell Robinson was drafted in the second round, 36th overall. You know how many teams passed on Mitchell? How many wish they had Mitchell? What happened [is] he didn’t play, teams got scared. Steve [Mills] and Scott [Perry] saw his ability, what we can develop.’’

Robinson, 20, will likely smash Ewing’s rookie record for blocks per game. Ewing averaged 2.06. Robinson is averaging 2.4. Mr. Robinson’s Block Party will almost certainly see him break Kristaps Porzingis’ rookie record for most blocks in a season at 134. Robinson has 126.

“I think he’s got potential to be defensive player of the year,’’ Fizdale said. “Definitely lead the league in blocked shots. He’ll be a guy, too, as a center, he’ll be a top steals guy in that position. He gets his hands on a lot of things and anticipates really well. A lot of the stuff he’s doing — he didn’t play a whole year of basketball. All the stuff is new and fresh and he’s seen it for the first time and he’s doing what he’s doing. It’s pretty impressive.”

Robinson is soft spoken but with a sense of humor. In the locker room, he often pretends to be public relations director, asking reporters who they want to talk to and playfully deciding when media availability is over. He has nicknamed one beat writer Bus Driver — because he thinks he looks like one.

Regarding his Mercedes-Benz sponsorship as a reflection of a stout rookie season, Robinson said, “I’m working, trying to get better and good things are coming.”

He still needs to get stronger, though Fizdale has already seen growth. During the open scrimmage in October at the Garden, there was one notable play when Enes Kanter backed in on Robinson all the way to the hoop.

“You could see it in his post defense,’’ Fizdale said. “When you reflect back to summer league, guys would back him down and push him under the rim. That’s just not happening anymore. He’s really holding his ground well without fouling and being able to stay in place because his core is so much stronger.”

The next step is adding a jumper. Robinson is averaging 6.8 points, but has taken one jump shot all season — a 10-footer he made against Atlanta. He hoisted one jumper in preseason — an airball. In shooting 70 percent, his points come on either alley-oop dunks, putbacks or bunnies by the rim.

“Slowly but surely,’’ Fizdale said. “I feel comfortable with him letting it fly because his free throws are coming along. Anything outside the paint — the first thing we wanted to tackle was can he be a good free throw shooter? A lot of his stuff is in traffic, offensive rebounds, putbacks. The next layer will be allowing him to shoot pick-and-pop jump shots.’’

Though Fizdale doesn’t run plays for him, Robinson said there are shooting opportunities.

“I could when we run elbow action, the guys guarding me back up,’’ Robinson said. “I can shoot it. I like to go with the play. The play usually gets us an easier bucket probably than me shooting.”

get em 2010...love this intel...
Spoiler:
"Against All Odds" "The Watch"
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,431

Post#85 » by god shammgod » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:39 am

the way dolan talked about him, he's going nowhere for no one. good to hear.
Context
RealGM

Post#86 » by Context » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:41 am

god shammgod wrote:the way dolan talked about him, he's going nowhere for no one. good to hear.

i hope so...
Spoiler:
Knickmyballz
Freshman
And1: 27

Post#87 » by Knickmyballz » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:20 am

One offseason with Hakeem.... please!
Context
RealGM

Post#88 » by Context » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:24 am

Knickmyballz wrote:One offseason with Hakeem.... please!

good one
Spoiler:
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#89 » by blueNorange » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:22 am

god shammgod wrote:the way dolan talked about him, he's going nowhere for no one. good to hear.

frank on the other hand ...
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#90 » by magnumt » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:06 am

He’s been working out with AD so far and then DJ.

—Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
Knickmyballz
Freshman
And1: 27

Post#91 » by Knickmyballz » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:10 am

magnumt wrote:

He’s been working out with AD so far and then DJ.

—Mags :beer:

Scary how good this kid will be in five years!
awy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,341

Post#92 » by awy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:39 am

zen and the art of mercedes benz maintenance: an inquiry into dunks, 2019, mitchell robinson, oup 1st ed
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#93 » by whocares1 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:07 pm

Or he’s hyping him up as an Anthony Davis trade piece.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,289

Post#94 » by RHODEY » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:23 am

A little old but still good

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,289

Post#95 » by RHODEY » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:31 am

RHODEY wrote:A little old but still good

From Marv1 in the comments section
Here is the difference between Mitchell and top NBA shot blockers like Whiteside, Gobert, etc. These guys have trouble on switches rotating to defend 3pt line against smaller guys. Mitchell has no such problem.

He is 7'1, 7'4 wingspan, but has lateral speed similar to SFs. He blocked more 3pt shots than anyone in the NBA this year, despite playing just 19 minutes per game. Offensively, he is looking similar to guys like DeAndre Jordan and Clint Cappella - lob target, pick-and-roll guy, garbage baskets.

BUT, what's intriguing about his upside is that his FTs are trending from 50% to about 70% now and in practice, this guy is making a lot of 3 pt shots. If he becomes a legit 3pt shooter, he will be an all-star and not just all-defense team candidate. Also, his IQ is good.
He makes rookie mistakes, but he gets what to do in pick-and-roll and he gets defensive schemes and rotations
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,830

Post#96 » by matchman » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:32 am

I think if somehow Frank and Mitch are retained after the offseason we would have got two defensive weapons against all those run and gun teams.

Mitch as the anti-3pointer, Frank as the ball magnet.
Are you fans of the team or the player?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#97 » by blueNorange » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:45 am

i would not trade the draft pick or mitch for davis.

the plan is and will be zion, durant, and kyrie.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
BallSacBounce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,411

Post#98 » by BallSacBounce » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:05 am

2010 wrote:"Mercedes Mitch" is coming out of his shell!

Great find. Love to hear this. Good head on his shoulders, nice, likeable young man, humble and patient yet with a high motor and super talented. This kid is destined for something really special. He is everything we could ask for. I'm getting Tim Duncan/David Robinson vibes from him. From the standpoint of just knowing to do the right and best thing all the time every time..
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#99 » by Thugger HBC » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:01 pm

It's rather rare when the owner vouches for a player like this, but I'd suspect Dolan got his intel from asking Mills about him somewhere around when he secured the Benz endorsement. That deal logically will be contingent with Mitch being in NY.

Think about it...a 2nd round rookie pick landing a majorly known endorsement. That's a straight awesome reward for hard work.

Spoiler:
gotta be an AMG they gave him too

He's not leaving.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,483

Post#100 » by CharlesOakley » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:01 pm

I'm in camp "Never Trade Mitchell". We are already drooling about what this kid currently does on the court. He is going to get stronger and develop a jumper. He is going to get better at staying down and intimidating. He is going to get better at not fouling. If he improves to the point where he can consistently get 30-35 minutes a night we have one of the best defensive anchors in the league on one of the best contracts.

You don't trade "insane value" players if you want to build a great team.

Return to New York Knicks