ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA 4 - Contenders and Tanks Cont'd

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,581

Re: Around the NBA 4 - Contenders and Tanks Cont'd 

Post#1641 » by mpharris36 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:33 pm

Greenie wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:and there are some people that don't want durant on the knicks... :nonono:

We want to build through the draft.

Durant is 30

i mean building through the draft is a solid Plan B that I think I can agree on. KD is the best player on the planet. So what if he's 30. If we are instantly a contender with KD + another all-star caliber player. Then we have all our young assets (current players + future draft picks). To make moves if we need to to solidify the team.

No one saying rush the process but if you have the opportunity to land a HOF talent (still in his prime). You do it.

This is also not like the Melo situation because we had to trade all our assets to get him so it was him and no one else for all those years. The idea is you pair KD with another all-star (hopefully Kyrie or someone on that level). Then you still have those 2 plus all our pieces + a top 5 pick. Totally different scenarios.

If we continue to build through the draft there are no guarantees we will hit star talent. But its a very solid plan B if KD doesn't come. Then you use the space to take on bad contracts and get more picks to enhance your chances of landing a big time player in the draft. But if you have a chance to get KD you have to do it IMO.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#1642 » by Rasho Brezec » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:38 pm

We'll build through the draft with Zion and sign Durant. Now stop crying.
Huey Freeman
General Manager
And1: 878

Post#1643 » by Huey Freeman » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:38 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Greenie wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:and there are some people that don't want durant on the knicks... :nonono:

We want to build through the draft.

Durant is 30

i mean building through the draft is a solid Plan B that I think I can agree on. KD is the best player on the planet. So what if he's 30. If we are instantly a contender with KD + another all-star caliber player. Then we have all our young assets (current players + future draft picks). To make moves if we need to to solidify the team.

No one saying rush the process but if you have the opportunity to land a HOF talent (still in his prime). You do it.

This is also not like the Melo situation because we had to trade all our assets to get him so it was him and no one else for all those years. The idea is you pair KD with another all-star (hopefully Kyrie or someone on that level). Then you still have those 2 plus all our pieces + a top 5 pick. Totally different scenarios.

If we continue to build through the draft there are no guarantees we will hit star talent. But its a very solid plan B if KD doesn't come. Then you use the space to take on bad contracts and get more picks to enhance your chances of landing a big time player in the draft. But if you have a chance to get KD you have to do it IMO.

I'm not 100% sure but...I think she was being facetious.
Revolution starts in the mind...
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,306

Post#1644 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:54 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:We'll build through the draft with Cam Reddish and sign Durant. Now stop crying.

Fixed it for you
awy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,341

Post#1645 » by awy » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:59 pm

the lottery reform severely damaged the viability of hardcore, multiple seasons tanking.

it does boost trading for future picks of other teams. that trading game can be done while the team is contending though, so signing KD and acquiring broad assets can be done at the same time with less loss of value.

bottom line is you need to sign some FAs eventually and that is less costly now after lottery reform because the value of your own pick becomes less important.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,923

Post#1646 » by god shammgod » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:54 pm

Gravy wrote:Nets can't even take advantage of Embiid being out and the Knicks stinking to be relevant. Win this series you scrubs!

after embiid the next 3 best players in the series are all on the sixers, why would they win ?
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,923

Post#1647 » by god shammgod » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:54 pm

we're signing kd and you'll like it
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,340

Post#1648 » by Phish Tank » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:20 pm

god shammgod wrote:
Gravy wrote:Nets can't even take advantage of Embiid being out and the Knicks stinking to be relevant. Win this series you scrubs!

after embiid the next 3 best players in the series are all on the sixers, why would they win ?

it's hard to win when you're a road team for the entire series
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#1649 » by NoLayupRule » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:49 pm

The truth is that building through the draft isn’t something that has to involve tanking

The clips are playing great ball, are in the playoffs and have several late lottery or early post lottery players making big impacts. The spurs do it every year.

There are excellent players available post lottery. You just need to bring them into a proper team. Frank for example is a great team player just not a great franchise builder.

After this year I’m glad the lottery will discourage tanking. I just hope the same teams don’t keep getting super lucky like Dallas, Chicago and Cleveland
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,114

Post#1650 » by Tron Carter » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:21 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:The truth is that building through the draft isn’t something that has to involve tanking

The clips are playing great ball, are in the playoffs and have several late lottery or early post lottery players making big impacts. The spurs do it every year.

There are excellent players available post lottery. You just need to bring them into a proper team. Frank for example is a great team player just not a great franchise builder.

After this year I’m glad the lottery will discourage tanking. I just hope the same teams don’t keep getting super lucky like Dallas, Chicago and Cleveland

agree 100%. after the lottery reform the odds are never gonna truly be in our favor.
R.I.P Black Mamba
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,341

Post#1651 » by Worst_to_First » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:39 pm

Tron Carter wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:The truth is that building through the draft isn’t something that has to involve tanking

agree 100%. after the lottery reform the odds are never gonna truly be in our favor.

Next season should have been the good year to get the worst record.

No clear #1 although with at least 5 guys that could get consideration ahead of Ja Morant.

James Wiseman all the way though.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,031

Post#1652 » by Capn'O » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:46 pm

god shammgod wrote:

BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
AllanHoustonFan
RealGM
And1: 6,966

Post#1653 » by AllanHoustonFan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:50 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:We'll build through the draft with Zion and sign Durant. Now stop crying.

The sooner people comes to terms with this, the better this board will be.
#MKGA
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#1654 » by Greenie » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:15 am

This board is gonna be lit In July...
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#1655 » by HEZI » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:17 am

Worst_to_First wrote:
Tron Carter wrote:

No clear #1 although with at least 5 guys that could get consideration ahead of Ja Morant.

At this time last year, same thing would have been said about Zion, RJ, Reddish, even Quentin Grimes was getting mad hype. Two years ago it was all about Bamba and Ayton.

Not sure I even get the Wiseman hype for the Knicks. He's basically an athletic shot blocking big and we already have that in Robinson. What offensive skills does he have though beaides finiahing in the paint? Not even knocking him as a prospect but I dont get it for the Knicks if we already have Robinson
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Worst_to_First
RealGM

Post#1656 » by Worst_to_First » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:41 am

HEZI wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:
Tron Carter wrote:

At this time last year, same thing would have been said about Zion, RJ, Reddish, even Quentin Grimes was getting mad hype. Two years ago it was all about Bamba and Ayton.

Not sure I even get the Wiseman hype for the Knicks. He's basically an athletic shot blocking big and we already have that in Robinson. What offensive skills does he have though beaides finiahing in the paint? Not even knocking him as a prospect but I dont get it for the Knicks if we already have Robinson

Ouch!!! I think Wiseman’s offensive skills are way more than simply finishing in the paint. This guy could be the ultimate two-way big that I have been craving for us to have on the Knicks since Pat.

I don’t want to be guilty of further de-railing this thread but if I may I would direct you to page 27 of our draft thread.
Worst_to_First
RealGM

Post#1657 » by Worst_to_First » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:49 am

Spicy P has been incredible for the Raps.

If Kawhi bolts, KD and Kyrie comes and we end up with RJ Barrett in the draft..... I would explore emotionally blackmailing Ujiri into bringing the hometown kid hero to Toronto in exchange for Siakam.

Mitch
Spicy P
KD
Kyrie
DSJ/Dotson/Frank/Trier

This team will go places.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,385

Post#1658 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:51 am

Tatum looking like KD-lite. Jaylen Brown shooting the lights out. Damn
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#1659 » by HEZI » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:56 am

Steph Curry a better defender than Kyrie

Lol
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow