ImageImageImageImageImage

Why do people hate Fiz?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,639

Re: Why do people hate Fiz? 

Post#201 » by prophet_of_rage » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:21 pm

Gravy wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Gravy wrote:From that article it looks like most of our struggles on offense were our roster being absolutely awful and incapable of executing most plays. Its not Fizdale having no plays to run like people made it seem. But what do you expect when most of the season you are are putting basically a summer league team on the court.

So, it's the GM and POBO who suck then? They couldn't find 5 guys out of 15 who know how to correctly play basketball in 2 years? Damn.

We got the tank we wanted; play rejects and the kids who aren't ready yet and stay losing. 2 more wins and everyone would have a meltdown on the FO for not getting Zion... like how we didn't get Doncic.
Don't bother. This fanbase wanted us to lose every game by 1 point draft Zion sign Durant and Itving and win it all nrxt year or everybody sucks.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,714

Post#202 » by JBreezeNY » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:51 am

Fat Kat wrote:This is a good write up explaining our offense and some of the failures in execution. The accompanying video clips are great

Read on Twitter

This is why I will continue to defend Fiz, give him talent and he will succeed. He still has his faults but give him his strengths to cover that.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,145

Post#203 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:47 am

Fizzle....
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,575

Post#204 » by Capn'O » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:00 pm

JBreezeNY wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:This is a good write up explaining our offense and some of the failures in execution. The accompanying video clips are great

Read on Twitter

This is why I will continue to defend Fiz, give him talent and he will succeed. He still has his faults but give him his strengths to cover that.

Also, he tanked:

Though Fizdale seemed to create a connection to his players, it didn’t translate to victories with his in-game coaching. Nevertheless, Mills praised Fizdale for sticking to development and not veering to protect his record.

“We were really satisfied with his first year,’’ Mills said. “A big part of what we were hiring him to do was connect with our players, develop accountability, make sure they were getting better, establish an identity of working. He did a really good job of it.

“The hardest thing for coaches when they’re going through a losing season like this is let the record get in the way of what you are asked from the front office to do. Seventeen wins and 65 losses, they’re his. He owns those for the rest of his career. He can’t walk away from it. To buy in is a testament to him.”
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#205 » by Thugger HBC » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:36 pm

Capn'O wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:

Read on Twitter

Also, he tanked:

Though Fizdale seemed to create a connection to his players, it didn’t translate to victories with his in-game coaching. Nevertheless, Mills praised Fizdale for sticking to development and not veering to protect his record.

“We were really satisfied with his first year,’’ Mills said. “A big part of what we were hiring him to do was connect with our players, develop accountability, make sure they were getting better, establish an identity of working. He did a really good job of it.

“The hardest thing for coaches when they’re going through a losing season like this is let the record get in the way of what you are asked from the front office to do. Seventeen wins and 65 losses, they’re his. He owns those for the rest of his career. He can’t walk away from it. To buy in is a testament to him.”
Not credible. No way a coach would be down for losses. No possible way.

Besides, Berman wrote this, so it's supposed to be automatically ignored.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,900

Post#206 » by GONYK » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:47 pm

Fiz did a lot of things. I would not count "developed accountability" among them.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,285

Post#207 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:41 pm

I need to see a lot more from Fiz next season (mostly accountability) but the Knicks reputation as a franchise is really starting to change thanks to Perry and Fizdale. You can see he's clearly well-respected in NBA circles including the media. It doesn't mean we won't find another thousand ways to fail as a franchise (never forget we are cursed), but this change in perception certainly doesn't hurt.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,639

Post#208 » by prophet_of_rage » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:52 am

Accountability is tough when you are learning your game. You think he's gonna bench Durant for shooting too much? All accountability means in the NBA is they show you your stats. It's bullchit.

Sent from my SM-N950W using RealGM mobile app
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,830

Post#209 » by matchman » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:15 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:The better question is "Why does Fiz hate Frank?"

Damn I just remembered Frank’s mom flied out to see him play on Christmas and Frank didn’t even play a second. Total savage.

That Fizdale did that was so incredibly fcked up. Most coaches will even start a relative scrub when the team visits the team that traded him.

I'm so not impressed with Fizdale. Seems like the only reason he's liked is because Lebron likes him. So why does Lebron like him or anyone else for that matter? It's because they suck on his azz. I mean, what did Fizdale do for Lebron, Wade, and Bosh in Miami? Fetch them Gatorade? Pick up their clothes from the cleaners? Cook them dinner?

This is so ignorant or anti player coach, not the vice versa.
Are you fans of the team or the player?
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,483

Post#210 » by CharlesOakley » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:10 pm

Someone is going to have to explain to me why KD is a lock to come to New York.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#211 » by whocares1 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:22 pm

CharlesOakley wrote:Someone is going to have to explain to me why KD is a lock to come to New York.

He’s not.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,443

Post#212 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:37 pm

whocares1 wrote:
CharlesOakley wrote:Someone is going to have to explain to me why KD is a lock to come to New York.

He’s not.

There better be Plans B, C and D in place. For myself, I'm content to keep rebuilding in smaller steps.

We need to build an Empire.

Free Palestine
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,337

Post#213 » by NoStatsGuy » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:51 pm

fizz did exactly what you all wanted and what was openly communicated. throw away the season for our young guys.

now everybody hates coach and FO, ridiculous. what do you want now? hold knox accountable for shooting 35% or give him time to develop. which one is it?

get your minds right :D

//edit

undrafted rookie trier doesnt look too bad, 35th pick who skipped college and didnt play organized ball for a whole year is our unsung hero. dotson who you all wanted to keep and get playing time, looked good. fizz did an insane job developing those guys.

im sure you could nitpick and find somethign to hate on regardless. but i think fizz is a good coach for a team on the come up to have a serious run no matter what realgm says
im bout dat action boss
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,412

Post#214 » by JXL » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:12 pm

I thought Fiz did a good job concerning the dearth of talent at his disposal. It's not easy to win in the NBA with retreads and 19-21 year olds. He did a hell of a job to develop the draft picks (and 1 undrafted pick) to have them become NBA players. If they win the lottery, pluck KD and Kyrie from their teams this summer, your telling me Fiz will let this stink? Hell no, he's way to smart for that.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Post#215 » by whocares1 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:48 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
whocares1 wrote:

He’s not.

There better be Plans B, C and D in place. For myself, I'm content to keep rebuilding in smaller steps.

We need to build an Empire.

I mean Mills said all the right things like a week ago. I don’t think it’s KD or bust for this front office.
evevale
Lead Assistant
And1: 16,588

Post#216 » by evevale » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:19 pm

If Fiz preached accountability as hard as people on this forum wanted, half of the young players on the Knicks roster would have commit suicide around Christmas time. I'm satisfied that we actually developed something potentially massive in Mitch, and to a lesser extent Zo. These are two players that could have potentially seen no time at all with previous Knicks coaching staffs.
We have blocks that we can build on now and I think Fiz is a big reason why. He's far from the perfect coach and I'm certainly not in love with him but I'm more than willing to give him more time and see how things pan out under his watch.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,143

Post#217 » by Fat Kat » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:34 pm

evevale wrote:If Fiz preached accountability as hard as people on this forum wanted, half of the young players on the Knicks roster would have commit suicide around Christmas time. I'm satisfied that we actually developed something potentially massive in Mitch, and to a lesser extent Zo. These are two players that could have potentially seen no time at all with previous Knicks coaching staffs.
We have blocks that we can build on now and I think Fiz is a big reason why. He's far from the perfect coach and I'm certainly not in love with him but I'm more than willing to give him more time and see how things pan out under his watch.

If Fiz acted the way folks here wanted, they’d complain about him not getting along with players. He tried protecting KP with the media, only to have KP turn on him. Fiz is fine
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
BKAY
Analyst
And1: 1,396

Post#218 » by BKAY » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:09 am

honestly people are stupid and overestimate their basketball knowledge. People also act like coaching only occurs during the games. When I see most people talk about the Xs and Os of basketball, its clear they dont have an understanding beyond Pnr, Pick n Pop, screens and other very basic basketball concepts. Some just remove all context from situations to further their points.

IDK, dont love Fiz just yet but he certainly has made any glaring errors. He's got a lower bar for me right now because I am expecting different things than straight wins ( player development and morale, culture development, reversing the LOLknicks stigma, not imploding, media management etc.). I think Fiz has done a fine job. He didnt bat 100% but he didnt do bad at all considering the variables.
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,946

Post#219 » by TheGreenArrow » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:55 am

Fiz is the best thing we have going for us.
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#220 » by Sark » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:56 am

Chanel Bomber wrote:

I need to see a lot more from Fiz next season (mostly accountability) but the Knicks reputation as a franchise is really starting to change thanks to Perry and Fizdale. You can see he's clearly well-respected in NBA circles including the media. It doesn't mean we won't find another thousand ways to fail as a franchise (never forget we are cursed), but this change in perception certainly doesn't hurt.

He sounded like a jr salesman that got put on the spot and didn't know how to answer. Perry better be the closer in those meetings.

Return to New York Knicks