ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Frank Ntilikina Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

RealGM
And1: 39,138

Re: Official Frank Ntilikina Thread 

Post#1841 » by 2010 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:09 am

TheScout31 wrote:
Spree2Houston wrote:I would love to hear Knickstape/FOE's take on Frank as of right now.

I think he's used completely incorrectly with the Knicks. Watch the quoted play below and compare it to what the Knicks "ran" last year. It's night and day! The difference between how he's used with the French team vs the Knicks is the playcalls for him. With the Knicks, it's mostly spot up, trying to get him to create for himself, and some PnRs (which he's actually good at, both getting to his spots and hitting the correct pass - the issue is the scoring...which, admittedly, is problematic RIGHT NOW). With France, it's way more PnRs (usually with some cool play designs leading into the screen) and some spot up - next to no isolation.

If you want Frank to succeed, two things need to happen
1) More PnRs. As I mentioned above, he's legitimately GOOD running the PnR. When his scoring comes, and it really just needs to get to the point where defenders really need to worry about him scoring (doesn't have to be some elite scorer), it'll open up way more passing lanes that he can absolutely hit.
2) He has to become a better shooter. Taking advantage of isolations is something he has to do , but given his role on offense will likely be an ancillary playmaker, that shot has to come - just C&S and some basic minor movement shooting (ie, re-location, maybe some pindowns, etc). He's not an isolation guy, which is why playcalls (even simple ones and PnRs) are important.

That's really it. Stop trying to make him into an isolation player and let Frank be Frank. This doesn't mean run the offense through him every single time (which is why the shooting is so important); it means play to his strengths when he's on the court, because he's always doing something either on defense or making a non-box score impact play that helps teams win.

France's play call mentioned above:

Read on Twitter

On point.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
RealGM
And1: 39,138

Post#1842 » by 2010 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:15 am

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Most impressive part was him missing the three, getting it right back and putting up another three that he drilled. If he can have that kind of mindset where he doesn't tuck his tail and act scared to shoot again after a miss or two, then I am content to see through the next phase of his development. That's the key for me. The mentality. Not even stressing results or efficiency at this point.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,864

Post#1843 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:44 am

Fat Kat wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:I'm not going to say too much because I'll admit I didn't watch his games but if Frank is combined 2-10 against Tunisia and Turkey entering year 3...Yeah let's just say I'm not optimistic...

He’s still a babe tho.

He has the potential of an embryonic stem cell.

MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#1844 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Aug 8, 2019 1:03 am

bearadonisdna wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
GONYK wrote:Frank played better than he did the first game, and his aggression level was higher than it was the first game. He was an impact player.

We're obsessing over his scoring, which I understand, but so much of the game is missed that way. Frank had the second most FGA's and third most FTA's today, so I'm not sure you can even fault him for that.

If Frank does what he did today with our other players he racks up dimes, makes steals, scores a few points and provides legit defense. We'll have enough scorers to work him into the line-up.

Agreed. Really he seems like a career defender at this point.
Which for his contract and team, I think is suitable enough.

Lol, I feel like I've been an offensive stickler but I'm looking the other way on Frank because i think his value is on defense.

Frank needs to at least be a reliable shooter if he wants to keep a job in this NBA.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,439

Post#1845 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Aug 8, 2019 2:14 am

MaseInYourFace wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
If Frank does what he did today with our other players he racks up dimes, makes steals, scores a few points and provides legit defense. We'll have enough scorers to work him into the line-up.

Lol, I feel like I've been an offensive stickler but I'm looking the other way on Frank because i think his value is on defense.

Frank needs to at least be a reliable shooter if he wants to keep a job in this NBA.

Mase, he's only 21 years old. He's not a vet. Let's develop him. He is a unique talent and his shooting mechanics are good. He just needs some confidence. Frank is a much better FT shooter than DSJ or RJ, for example. Foul shooting is a solid indicator.
Free Palestine
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,260

Post#1846 » by iLLmatic860 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 2:16 am

MaseInYourFace wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

With his defense he will always have a job in the nba

But with his offense it can limit his role significantly
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Post#1847 » by GONYK » Thu Aug 8, 2019 2:26 am

We're spending a lot of time talking about his shot, but his handles have gotten noticeably better.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#1848 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Aug 8, 2019 8:24 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:

Mase, he's only 21 years old. He's not a vet. Let's develop him. He is a unique talent and his shooting mechanics are good. He just needs some confidence. Frank is a much better FT shooter than DSJ or RJ, for example. Foul shooting is a solid indicator.

I’m with you, I just want peeps to be realistic about what Frank needs to do on his end to stay on the team and in the league. He’s really only a consistent shot away from being a good role player. All the other stuff would be nice extra development.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#1849 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Aug 8, 2019 8:25 am

DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:

I don’t really agree with that. Not too many defense only players in this league any more. Especially at guard/wing. You need to reach a certain floor offensively.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#1850 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Aug 8, 2019 8:26 am

GONYK wrote:We're spending a lot of time talking about his shot, but his handles have gotten noticeably better.

I would agree with this but would like to see them tested against nba competition before definitively reaching that conclusion. They definitely look noticeably better though.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,136

Post#1851 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Aug 8, 2019 10:00 am

2010 wrote:
TheScout31 wrote:
Spree2Houston wrote:I would love to hear Knickstape/FOE's take on Frank as of right now.

I think he's used completely incorrectly with the Knicks. Watch the quoted play below and compare it to what the Knicks "ran" last year. It's night and day! The difference between how he's used with the French team vs the Knicks is the playcalls for him. With the Knicks, it's mostly spot up, trying to get him to create for himself, and some PnRs (which he's actually good at, both getting to his spots and hitting the correct pass - the issue is the scoring...which, admittedly, is problematic RIGHT NOW). With France, it's way more PnRs (usually with some cool play designs leading into the screen) and some spot up - next to no isolation.

If you want Frank to succeed, two things need to happen
1) More PnRs. As I mentioned above, he's legitimately GOOD running the PnR. When his scoring comes, and it really just needs to get to the point where defenders really need to worry about him scoring (doesn't have to be some elite scorer), it'll open up way more passing lanes that he can absolutely hit.
2) He has to become a better shooter. Taking advantage of isolations is something he has to do , but given his role on offense will likely be an ancillary playmaker, that shot has to come - just C&S and some basic minor movement shooting (ie, re-location, maybe some pindowns, etc). He's not an isolation guy, which is why playcalls (even simple ones and PnRs) are important.

That's really it. Stop trying to make him into an isolation player and let Frank be Frank. This doesn't mean run the offense through him every single time (which is why the shooting is so important); it means play to his strengths when he's on the court, because he's always doing something either on defense or making a non-box score impact play that helps teams win.

France's play call mentioned above:

Read on Twitter

On point.

Yup.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,129

Post#1852 » by Fat Kat » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:10 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,481

Post#1853 » by j4remi » Thu Aug 8, 2019 1:33 pm

I can't say a lot because I haven't watched the games. But that left handed dribble is really flashing in the highlights and his passing in clips and statistically has me hopeful too. 11 assists in 33 minutes of play is promising, but without seeing the assists in the run of play I have a hard time saying much.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,097

Post#1854 » by Juco24 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 2:35 pm

Frank does look good, no doubt! The increased muscle, hard work and experience is showing through! How that plays out during the season is anyone's guess. Sort of sorry we signed Payton now tbh
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,633

Post#1855 » by DaGawd » Thu Aug 8, 2019 3:16 pm

The front office sees Frank as a wing... We should trade him he won't ever be used the way he should here
BaF
Washington Wizards
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,213

Post#1856 » by KnicksGod » Thu Aug 8, 2019 3:31 pm

Improved handles can change a player’s whole game. It’s confidence, it’s energy and motor, and it’s the ability to unlock other parts of your skill set ...

Including the jumper.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Post#1857 » by GONYK » Thu Aug 8, 2019 3:35 pm

KnicksGod wrote:Improved handles can change a player’s whole game. It’s confidence, it’s energy and motor, and it’s the ability to unlock other parts of your skill set ...

Including the jumper.

We're already seeing changes.

Frank has been much more of a "grab-n-go" player in these games so far.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#1858 » by bearadonisdna » Thu Aug 8, 2019 4:41 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:

I don’t really agree with that. Not too many defense only players in this league any more. Especially at guard/wing. You need to reach a certain floor offensively.

Honestly I think that floor is being able to finish, get to the line, hit free throws.
It kind of reminds me of Simmons. Ppl want him to develop a shot but I would feel uncomfortable with him shooting on the perimeter because it is so unnatural.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,260

Post#1859 » by iLLmatic860 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:29 pm

bearadonisdna wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:
DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:With his defense he will always have a job in the nba

Honestly I think that floor is being able to finish, get to the line, hit free throws.
It kind of reminds me of Simmons. Ppl want him to develop a shot but I would feel uncomfortable with him shooting on the perimeter because it is so unnatural.

He actually can knock them down unlike Simmons (0-17 in his nba career)

Frank just isnt a natural born scorer and thats okay as long as he improves.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,180

Post#1860 » by DOT » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:39 pm

DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:

He actually can knock them down unlike Simmons (0-17 in his nba career)

Frank just isnt a natural born scorer and thats okay as long as he improves.

Shooting splits per month last year:

39%
15%
37%
31%

Last year:

38%
21%
38%
35%
33%
29%
35%

He can shoot, he's just super inconsistent. Like, if you take out the one month he shot 15% last year, he's at like 34, 35% the rest of the year
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe

Return to New York Knicks