ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Frank Ntilikina Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

BKAY
Analyst
And1: 1,396

Re: Official Frank Ntilikina Thread 

Post#81 » by BKAY » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:16 pm

CharlesOakley wrote:Fizdale, hired for his developmental abilities, has done no development of Frank (or anyone else). Holding Frank out of the Xmas game when his mom came to visit was cruel. He could have G-leagued him, could have carved out 20 minutes a night at backup PG, could have used him as a defensive stopper against specific matchups - instead, he **** with his game and his confidence and had him rot on the bench. I'm convinced he is being held out of games now.

The biggest problem is we still don't know what we have.

Im the ultimate Frank stan but Dot, Mitch, Trier. To a lesser degree, Vonleh and Mudiay. That right there is 33% of the lineup. DSJ has had his best games so far as a Knick. Hell even Hezonja had his moments to shine. Same goes for Kornet.

Dont love what he's doing with Frank and dont love what hes doing with Knox. But still has a good 2/3 of the roster either producing as a rookie or having a decent-good comeback season.
Senior
And1: 404

Post#82 » by 1999 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:17 pm

jayu70 wrote:Hawks Fan here:

Saw this yesterday...any truth? What would the Knicks be looking for?
Knicks Trade Rumors: Frank Ntilikina Shopped to Hawks Before Deadline

New York Knicks guard Frank Ntilikina's two-year NBA career has included injuries, a head-coaching change, position switches and losing seasons.

That's quite a stretch for a young player, but Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News noted that it could have included a trade as well.

Bondy reported Tuesday that Knicks general manager Scott Perry gauged the Atlanta Hawks' interest in Ntilikina before the Feb. 7 trade deadline. However, Atlanta was not open to a move.

Ntilkina isn't playing much under head coach David Fizdale, falling out of the starting five in mid-November and averaging just 21.3 minutes during the 2018-19 season. Although the Hawks reportedly aren't interested in him, Ntilikina may yet end up in another uniform before next season begins.

No idea but I would want John Collins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Infinitimind
Senior
And1: 398

Post#83 » by Infinitimind » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:51 pm

We are not protected him as much we would like for Frank to get a fair shake. Most of this season he played off the ball, when we all feel he needs the ball to be affective. Playing Muiday heavy minutes over him makes no sense ,Since he won’t be here next year . So why not play Frank ? I believe he is better than what he has shown. Mostly because our coaches kill his confidence

Ps
Knox has his moments where he has looked like the worst player in the league and still out there playing heavy minutes and with the green light. Why can’t frank do the same?

Thugger HBC wrote:
1999 wrote:I’ve never seen a player that’s done as little as frank get protected so much by the fans. I’m all for continuity but I’ve given up on him myself. Is he not considered injury prone at this point as well? This is no Wilson Chandler, Channing Frye, Trevor Ariza, Gallo, David Lee like talent we would be giving up on if he’s traded.

I don't think he'll ever be a pg, but I do think he can be a useful nba player. if he was an rfa, I'd watch someone offer him some coin and watch him walk for sure though.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#84 » by Knicksfan1992 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:00 pm

New York Knicks guard Frank Ntilikina's two-year NBA career has included injuries, a head-coaching change, position switches and losing seasons.

That's quite a stretch for a young player, but Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News noted that it could have included a trade as well.

Bondy reported Tuesday that Knicks general manager Scott Perry gauged the Atlanta Hawks' interest in Ntilikina before the Feb. 7 trade deadline. However, Atlanta was not open to a move.

Ntilkina isn't playing much under head coach David Fizdale, falling out of the starting five in mid-November and averaging just 21.3 minutes during the 2018-19 season. Although the Hawks reportedly aren't interested in him, Ntilikina may yet end up in another uniform before next season begins.

I would guess they would be asking for like a 1st and/or one of Taurean Prince or Bembry. Kind of fits the mold of what they have been looking for at least publicly. Longer athletic guys who can defend a little bit. Funny thing is Frank fits that mold too but I don't think the Knicks like his passiveness.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,932

Post#85 » by jayu70 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:18 pm

1999 wrote:

No idea but I would want John Collins.

:lol: :wavefinger:
Senior
And1: 404

Post#86 » by 1999 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:20 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:

I would guess they would be asking for like a 1st and/or one of Taurean Prince or Bembry. Kind of fits the mold of what they have been looking for at least publicly. Longer athletic guys who can defend a little bit. Funny thing is Frank fits that mold too but I don't think the Knicks like his passiveness.

That’s the thing with Frank. He always looks like he’s in his own head. The games he just plays freely he does well. Whether he sticks in NY or not I don’t want to see him out of the NBA because of his passive play.

matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,901

Post#87 » by matchman » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:41 am

Yeah he back so let's see how he fits after that injury.
Are you fans of the team or the player?
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,310

Post#88 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:20 am

I'm still down with Frank. @ me! He hit Mitch with a lob 5 as soon as they hit the floor. Defense. He's a key piece on a chip winner.
:beer: RIP mags
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#89 » by MaseInYourFace » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:39 am

So much ink spilled on a role player...
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
justin12140
Rookie
And1: 1,068

Post#90 » by justin12140 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:47 pm

It’s going to be interesting to see what the FO does with our guard rotation this year. If Kyrie comes over this summer, we are going to need to trim it down. Out of the guys we currently got (DSJ, Mudiay, Frank, Kadeem, Dot, and Trier). I think we def keep Dot (cheap and great shooter) and Kadeem (minimum 3rd string pg). Mudiay is gone.

That leaves DSJ, Trier, and Frank as the outliers. It’s kind of interesting because I think they all fit the holes that the other create. Trier is the best scorer, DSJ the best passer, and Frank the best defender. If I had to put money on it, I think the FO gets rid of Frank (and I personally think he’ll become a great player).

If it was up to me though, I think I’d ship out DSJ. Trier is a lot more efficient of an offensive player and we will need guys like Frank that can provide defense on the perimeter if we want to make any noise next year. I think DSJ has the highest ceiling of all the guards on our team, but he isn’t really consistently good at anything right now.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,694

Post#91 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:56 pm

justin12140 wrote:It’s going to be interesting to see what the FO does with our guard rotation this year. If Kyrie comes over this summer, we are going to need to trim it down. Out of the guys we currently got (DSJ, Mudiay, Frank, Kadeem, Dot, and Trier). I think we def keep Dot (cheap and great shooter) and Kadeem (minimum 3rd string pg). Mudiay is gone.

That leaves DSJ, Trier, and Frank as the outliers. It’s kind of interesting because I think they all fit the holes that the other create. Trier is the best scorer, DSJ the best passer, and Frank the best defender. If I had to put money on it, I think the FO gets rid of Frank (and I personally think he’ll become a great player).

If it was up to me though, I think I’d ship out DSJ. Trier is a lot more efficient of an offensive player and we will need guys like Frank that can provide defense on the perimeter if we want to make any noise next year. I think DSJ has the highest ceiling of all the guards on our team, but he isn’t really consistently good at anything right now.

Frank had 5 assists in 20 minutes last night. He's a better passer than he's being given credit for. It didn't help that he played so little time at PG this season.
Free Palestine
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,831

Post#92 » by spree2kawhi » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:25 am

He really didn't play well in that first game back. For what it's worth, that shot still looks awful.
Knickgm2190
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#93 » by Knickgm2190 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:38 pm

Unfortunately, Frank seems to be a lost cause and should be considered a bust. Unless there is some type of miracle he will go down as one of the worst Knick draft picks of all time. Forget about being able to play basketball. Which up until this point he has shown he can't do. His body is so fragile he can't stay on the court for any sustained length of time without getting injured.
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,125

Post#94 » by Juco24 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:04 pm

Knickgm2190 wrote:Unfortunately, Frank seems to be a lost cause and should be considered a bust. Unless there is some type of miracle he will go down as one of the worst Knick draft picks of all time. Forget about being able to play basketball. Which up until this point he has shown he can't do. His body is so fragile he can't stay on the court for any sustained length of time without getting injured.

I have defended Frank since day 1 and thought he had a bright future... at this point (if I'm Frank) I'm going to study Bruce Bowen and become a defensive stopper and also work hard becoming a 3-and-D player. Injuries, confidence and inconsistencies have hurt him... maybe expectations were too high? Idk but he's certainly nearing that bust status imo
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,487

Post#95 » by CharlesOakley » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:11 pm

It doesn't take a miracle for a 20-year-old to add a jump shot to his game. Frank as he is now but with a decent 3-ball is a rotation player in the NBA.
Knickgm2190
Sophomore

Post#96 » by Knickgm2190 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:24 pm

CharlesOakley wrote:It doesn't take a miracle for a 20-year-old to add a jump shot to his game. Frank as he is now but with a decent 3-ball is a rotation player in the NBA.

The average three point shooter in the nba shoots 36 percent from three. Frank Ntilikina shoots 29%. He has a long way to go just to be average. Forget about being average he needs to be near 40 percent to even have a chance to stay in this league as a 3 and D player. I'm sorry kid can't shoot. While his shot may get slightly better, I don't think he will be in the NBA long enough to see the percentage necessary for him to succeed.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,069

Post#97 » by GONYK » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:30 pm

Knickgm2190 wrote:
CharlesOakley wrote:It doesn't take a miracle for a 20-year-old to add a jump shot to his game. Frank as he is now but with a decent 3-ball is a rotation player in the NBA.

The average three point shooter in the nba shoots 36 percent from three. Frank Ntilikina shoots 29%. He has a long way to go just to be average. Forget about being average he needs to be near 40 percent to even have a chance to stay in this league as a 3 and D player. I'm sorry kid can't shoot. While his shot may get slightly better, I don't think he will be in the NBA long enough to see the percentage necessary for him to succeed.

Why?

He's an excellent defender and can play as a secondary ballhandler.

Why does he need to be 40% to even stay in the league? Marcus Smart shot 36% for this first time this season. He was art 25% his second season. Dante Exum, when healthy, is a rotation player on a playoff team as a 29% 3pt shooter.
Knickgm2190
Sophomore

Post#98 » by Knickgm2190 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:39 pm

GONYK wrote:
Knickgm2190 wrote:

Why?

Why does he need to be 40% to even stay in the league? Marcus Smart shot 36% for this first time this season. He was art 25% his second season. Dante Exum, when healthy, is a rotation player on a playoff team as a 29% 3pt shooter.

Frank right now is the worst guard in the league that's why. Comparing him to people who have more talent whether offensively or defensively does not explain how Frank will be able to have a sustained NBA career. Plain and simple he is just not good enough.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,069

Post#99 » by GONYK » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:42 pm

Knickgm2190 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Knickgm2190 wrote:

Why?

Frank right now is the worst guard in the league that's why. Comparing him to people who have more talent whether offensively or defensively does not explain how Frank will be able to have a sustained NBA career. Plain and simple he is just not good enough.

Worst at what?

This is a lazy characterization based off of a stat that was compiled after a horrendous shooting month.

He's a better overall player than Mudiay, and was the starting PG in the most successful lineup the Knicks played this season. He is a positive contributor on the floor more often than not, and is by far the best defender.

What he's bad at is creating offense. So were the other players I mentioned above.

What makes Frank worse than Exum or Smart in his 2nd year?
Knickgm2190
Sophomore

Post#100 » by Knickgm2190 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:55 pm

GONYK wrote:
Knickgm2190 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Why?

Worst at what?

This is a lazy characterization based off of a stat that was compiled after a horrendous shooting month.

He's a better overall player than Mudiay, and was the starting PG in the most successful lineup the Knicks played this season. He is a positive contributor on the floor more often than not, and is by far the best defender.

What he's bad at is creating offense. So were the other players I mentioned above.

What makes Frank worse than Exum or Smart in his 2nd year?

I'm not going back to look at either players stats in their second year. It doesn't matter for this particular discussion. Both players have always been better than Frank since being drafted. Not only that but those players are or were in different positions team wise than Frank. Those players showed enough that the teams that drafted them were willing to give them many years to develop. Unfortunately, Frank will not be afforded that same opportunity. The team has brought in multiple people at his same position because its obvious that those that make personnel decisions don't believe in Frank as a basketball player. His time with this team is winding down. Again, unless he comes back next season and improves greatly its unlikely he is on this team in 2 seasons.

Return to New York Knicks