ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 268 in MSG Usman vs Colby 2, Rose vs Zhang 2

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 250 Nunes vs Spencer: top to bottom good fights again 

Post#841 » by bringbackhoffa » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:49 pm

j4remi wrote:
bringbackhoffa wrote:2nd best fight of the year

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app

I'm back and forth between Hooker vs Poirier and Zhang vs Joanna for FOTY. Usman vs Colby was in December, but I feel like it deserves mention with those two for how great it was. We've gotten some absolute gems.

definitely non PPV event fight of the year, both fighters stocks rose but given log jam would like to see

Porier v Tony or Conor (Tony more likely as Conor probably has no interests in rematches unless its against people he has lost to)

Hooker vs Charles Oliveira (good win streak vs a guy coming off a incredible fight in a losing outcome though he did take the first 2 rounds).

Given Khabib vs Justin will not happen til September odds are next title fight would not occur until Dec/Jan, and if Justin some how wins i can see them either going with Conor or even Khabib for the rematch given his win streak
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,487

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 250 Nunes vs Spencer: top to bottom good fights again 

Post#842 » by j4remi » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:41 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:
definitely non PPV event fight of the year, both fighters stocks rose but given log jam would like to see

Porier v Tony or Conor (Tony more likely as Conor probably has no interests in rematches unless its against people he has lost to)

Hooker vs Charles Oliveira (good win streak vs a guy coming off a incredible fight in a losing outcome though he did take the first 2 rounds).

Given Khabib vs Justin will not happen til September odds are next title fight would not occur until Dec/Jan, and if Justin some how wins i can see them either going with Conor or even Khabib for the rematch given his win streak

Yeah, I doubt this gets topped for best non-PPV event overall. There were a lot of competitive, entertaining fights with some highlight moments to Sato's KO.

I think Poirier might take a break and see who wins the Khabib fight. I don't think he has a path to rematch Khabib because of how poorly he performed whereas if Gaethje wins, I don't think he has to do any more to get the next shot. Barring Conor returning and beating someone at the absolute top (Poirier or Ferguson being the only options), Diamond already has a KO win over Gaethje that Justin wants to avenge.

Oliveira vs Hooker is definitely the fight to make. Do Bronx needs a step up and Hooker makes the most sense (though I selfishly would like him vs Ferguson also since they have similar strengths).

If I was the UFC, this is how I'd want to book the next fights if there were no politics:
Khabib vs Gaethje
Poirier vs Conor
Ferguson vs Oliveira
Hooker vs Felder 2
Ferreira vs Lee
Islam vs Iaquinta
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#843 » by bringbackhoffa » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:47 pm

j4remi wrote:
bringbackhoffa wrote:

Yeah, I doubt this gets topped for best non-PPV event overall. There were a lot of competitive, entertaining fights with some highlight moments to Sato's KO.

I think Poirier might take a break and see who wins the Khabib fight. I don't think he has a path to rematch Khabib because of how poorly he performed whereas if Gaethje wins, I don't think he has to do any more to get the next shot. Barring Conor returning and beating someone at the absolute top (Poirier or Ferguson being the only options), Diamond already has a KO win over Gaethje that Justin wants to avenge.

Oliveira vs Hooker is definitely the fight to make. Do Bronx needs a step up and Hooker makes the most sense (though I selfishly would like him vs Ferguson also since they have similar strengths).

If I was the UFC, this is how I'd want to book the next fights if there were no politics:
Khabib vs Gaethje
Poirier vs Conor
Ferguson vs Oliveira
Hooker vs Felder 2
Ferreira vs Lee
Islam vs Iaquinta

like all those but would switch up and see Lee vs Islam given the back and forth those camps have had..

also you forgot about Mike Perry hahahha he does hold a win over Felder..

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#844 » by j4remi » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:57 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:
like all those but would switch up and see Lee vs Islam given the back and forth those camps have had..

I was gonna do Lee vs Islam but I don't think Lee will get that fight coming off of a loss. I love that match up and hope it comes to fruition though.

I got my Mike Perry fight pick narrowed down to Diego Sanchez for the insanity or Matt the Immortal Brown; Let Perry fight some brawlers and be a free card star :lol:
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#845 » by bringbackhoffa » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:54 pm

j4remi wrote:
bringbackhoffa wrote:

I was gonna do Lee vs Islam but I don't think Lee will get that fight coming off of a loss. I love that match up and hope it comes to fruition though.

I got my Mike Perry fight pick narrowed down to Diego Sanchez for the insanity or Matt the Immortal Brown; Let Perry fight some brawlers and be a free card star :lol:

how about Lawlor?

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#846 » by j4remi » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:41 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:
how about Lawlor?

I can't picture them feeding Perry to Robbie, that'd be a bad night for Mike. I think he's at least another couple of wins in a row away from fighting ranked competition. I do think Robbie, and Pettis too for that matter, are getting close to the point where the UFC tries to mostly use them to put over up and coming guys but I think they both beat Perry up at this point still.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#847 » by bringbackhoffa » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:48 pm

j4remi wrote:
bringbackhoffa wrote:
how about Lawlor?

I can't picture them feeding Perry to Robbie, that'd be a bad night for Mike. I think he's at least another couple of wins in a row away from fighting ranked competition. I do think Robbie, and Pettis too for that matter, are getting close to the point where the UFC tries to mostly use them to put over up and coming guys but I think they both beat Perry up at this point still.

Where is Ponzinbio these days?

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,592

Post#848 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:25 am

j4remi wrote:
bringbackhoffa wrote:
how about Lawlor?

I know that this Gall fight is not necessarily the best fighter against whom to gauge where Perry is at in his development but did you see any improvements in Perry as an overall fighter. I feel that I did but Gall being the opponent gives me some pause, though I did think Gall improved too with his striking in the first round and a little into the second. His stamina sucks though.

Gall seems so awkward and wasteful in his movement in the ring. Kinda herky-jerky in his movements. Anyhow, getting back to Perry, he's so damn strong, his takedown defense is one of the best, he has a good chin (sometimes to a fault). But if he can make the same adjustments that Justin Gaethje made, maybe he can make a move.

Who would you like to see Perry fight next? Also, any insights into a team that will take him. I think I recall him saying that he's going to South Florida to look for a camp. Not so sure that's a great idea right now. Maybe his girlfriend can talk some sense into him about that.
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#849 » by j4remi » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:57 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:Where is Ponzinbio these days?

He was talking about coming back a while ago. He'd gotten a bad staph infection and then kinda fell off the face of the Earth for a while there, but I definitely saw rumors about him fighting RDA or Robbie Lawler for a comeback. That's a good sign too, those are beatable big names which would set him up to try and get back to contention.

HarthorneWingo wrote:
I know that this Gall fight is not necessarily the best fighter against whom to gauge where Perry is at in his development but did you see any improvements in Perry as an overall fighter. I feel that I did but Gall being the opponent gives me some pause, though I did think Gall improved too with his striking in the first round and a little into the second. His stamina sucks though.

Gall seems so awkward and wasteful in his movement in the ring. Kinda herky-jerky in his movements. Anyhow, getting back to Perry, he's so damn strong, his takedown defense is one of the best, he has a good chin (sometimes to a fault). But if he can make the same adjustments that Justin Gaethje made, maybe he can make a move.

Who would you like to see Perry fight next? Also, any insights into a team that will take him. I think I recall him saying that he's going to South Florida to look for a camp. Not so sure that's a great idea right now. Maybe his girlfriend can talk some sense into him about that.

I don't think I've ever really felt like I see significant growth out of Mike Perry. He overpowered Gall but to get outstruck by the kid early was a bad sign. Gall has definitely shown some development but he's either got a mental block or just plain does not have the stamina to win. He had Diego Sanchez in early trouble too and gassed just the same. I honestly think it might be mental, Gall was in the driver's seat until he got taken down and realized Perry was too strong for him there.

Perry definitely has the potential to be something. He's tough as nails and hits like a truck. But the lack of growth so far and the fact that he's bounced around coaches is really concerning. If he says FL, I think American Top Team. They're not far removed from being the team of the year; Mike Brown could help him mix wrestling and brawling more deceptively and they've got a ton of talent to help sharpen him up sparring. That said; I've all but given up on both Mike Perry and Mickey Gall.

For next opponents I stick with Diego Sanchez as the most interesting one because they're similar. Diego has less power but better grappling and both guys are more tough than technique at this point. It'd be fun. I also like Matt Brown for the "fun" fight idea. They'd brawl out, someone would get KO'ed and that's kinda where I place all three of these guys at this point.

If the UFC is higher on Perry than I am, maybe Belal Muhammad. Muhammad's won 3 in a row, 7 of 8 and it's all been legit UFC talent. He's the opposite of Perry somewhat too; he's fought a lot of dudes with physical and technical advantages where he uses grit and smarts to grind out a win. The guy deserves a fight that boosts his profile.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#850 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:36 pm

j4remi wrote:
bringbackhoffa wrote:Where is Ponzinbio these days?

He was talking about coming back a while ago. He'd gotten a bad staph infection and then kinda fell off the face of the Earth for a while there, but I definitely saw rumors about him fighting RDA or Robbie Lawler for a comeback. That's a good sign too, those are beatable big names which would set him up to try and get back to contention.

HarthorneWingo wrote:

I don't think I've ever really felt like I see significant growth out of Mike Perry. He overpowered Gall but to get outstruck by the kid early was a bad sign. Gall has definitely shown some development but he's either got a mental block or just plain does not have the stamina to win. He had Diego Sanchez in early trouble too and gassed just the same. I honestly think it might be mental, Gall was in the driver's seat until he got taken down and realized Perry was too strong for him there.

Perry definitely has the potential to be something. He's tough as nails and hits like a truck. But the lack of growth so far and the fact that he's bounced around coaches is really concerning. If he says FL, I think American Top Team. They're not far removed from being the team of the year; Mike Brown could help him mix wrestling and brawling more deceptively and they've got a ton of talent to help sharpen him up sparring. That said; I've all but given up on both Mike Perry and Mickey Gall.

For next opponents I stick with Diego Sanchez as the most interesting one because they're similar. Diego has less power but better grappling and both guys are more tough than technique at this point. It'd be fun. I also like Matt Brown for the "fun" fight idea. They'd brawl out, someone would get KO'ed and that's kinda where I place all three of these guys at this point.

If the UFC is higher on Perry than I am, maybe Belal Muhammad. Muhammad's won 3 in a row, 7 of 8 and it's all been legit UFC talent. He's the opposite of Perry somewhat too; he's fought a lot of dudes with physical and technical advantages where he uses grit and smarts to grind out a win. The guy deserves a fight that boosts his profile.

True, Gall did tag him a lot in the first round or so. Perhaps a more powerful/technical striker would cause him big problems. I guess I felt like Perry wasn't just swinging like a madman and seemed more in control? I be interested in your opinion on that. So maybe a training camp at ATT in Florida and give him a stronger challenge to see where he's at. If not, maybe he could do some damage in Bellator.
Free Palestine
bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#851 » by bringbackhoffa » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:50 pm

Given the strength of 170 and 155 and how many guys Ali abdelaziz has on the roster and his hard on for Dana, guys under first round management or Paradigm will never win a contract battle with the UFC so guys like Jorge, Nate, colby, and to a lesser extent Conor are fighting a losing battle. Ali in a short whole has kind of helped the UFC build up there monopoly by having his guys agree to any contract the UFC puts forth. Tbh ali is the worst thing to happen to this sport I align him with someone like Don King

Too many of his guys seem to get ranked opponents to build there credentials when they likely dont deserve it because they take less $$

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#852 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:07 pm

Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#853 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jul 3, 2020 9:49 pm

Sad day today. Khabib's father, Abdulmanup, passed away from COVID. He also had underlying heart condition. If I were Justin, I'd put in some time sending condolences and showing admiration. Khabib will be dedicating that fight to his father.

Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#854 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jul 4, 2020 7:55 am

Gilbert Burns contracted COVID and is out for 251. Does Masvidal take this fight on short notice if offered?

EDIT: Both Jorge and Colby have offered to step in! :D

https://apple.news/A5SiBQHMSQwCR4ymIxRiOjw
Free Palestine
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#855 » by Jkam31 » Sat Jul 4, 2020 10:07 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Gilbert Burns contracted COVID and is out for 251. Does Masvidal take this fight on short notice if offered?

Hopefully they let Colby take down Marty
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#856 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jul 4, 2020 6:39 pm

Jkam31 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Gilbert Burns contracted COVID and is out for 251. Does Masvidal take this fight on short notice if offered?

Meh, I already saw that fight. I'd prefer Masvidal get his shot assuming he's ready to go, which I have to assume that he is. With all of the COVID raging on, all of these fighters have to know that, unless they're just coming off of a fight, they have to know that they can get called upon on a week's notice to jump in.
Free Palestine
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#857 » by Jkam31 » Sat Jul 4, 2020 11:17 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jkam31 wrote:

Meh, I already saw that fight. I'd prefer Masvidal get his shot assuming he's ready to go, which I have to assume that he is. With all of the COVID raging on, all of these fighters have to know that, unless they're just coming off of a fight, they have to know that they can get called upon on a week's notice to jump in.

And it was a good fight that deserves a part 2, Colby is better than Masvidal
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#858 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jul 4, 2020 11:27 pm

Jkam31 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jkam31 wrote:

And it was a good fight that deserves a part 2, Colby is better than Masvidal

No he isn't. Masvidal is better than Usman.
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#859 » by j4remi » Sun Jul 5, 2020 3:42 pm

Reports started last night that the UFC was in negotiations with Jorge Masvidal to step in. This is the debut of Fight Island, so they'll want to make it big I guess. Helwani said there were still obstacles and there's nothing official but I've seen some heads go as far as saying the last thing they're waiting for is Masvidal passing his COVID test before they make it official.

I'm not sure who the short notice benefits more. Masvidal needs to be in top shape to keep up with Usman. But Usman will have spent his camp prepping for a Power Striker and BJJ specialist as opposed to a technical, high IQ striker with a wider diversity of attacks. I just hope it gets made.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#860 » by bringbackhoffa » Sun Jul 5, 2020 5:23 pm

Has Usman ever had weight cut issues in the past? Given long travel being stuck in a room for 48 hours when u land and the fight days away could he have problems..

Could they also move this fight to the 2nd fight island card as there are already 2 title fights on 251 and likely wouldn't have to give ppv points to either guy then..giving ppv points to 6 fighters probably isnt ideal, I know they were going to do that before, but expect lot more ppv money with jorge for the other fighters on the card

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

Return to New York Knicks