ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 268 in MSG Usman vs Colby 2, Rose vs Zhang 2

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,501

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Mighty Mouse, Eddie Alvarez, Rodtang on TNT 4/7 

Post#1661 » by j4remi » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:27 pm

MelosSoreWrist wrote:UFC fight night: Whittaker vs Gastelum tonight.

Whittaker vs Gastelum should be an alright fight. I think Whittaker picks Kevin apart going in and out like he did Cannonier. I know Gastelum has a good chin but I can see a mid to late rounds finish.

I am interested to see what happens in the Romanov vs Espino fight. Two big fat grapplers with rudimentary standup going at it. I assume whoever ends up on top wins. I pick Romanov who is younger and seemingly stronger and more explosive.

Stephens vs Klose, Arlovski vs Sherman, Alhassan vs Malkoun should be bangers with popping stand up exchanges. I know Klose and Arlovski can make boring fights but I think Stephens and Sherman with their strengths and weaknesses will draw out fun fights.

But overall, a weak fight card. Headliner is the only significant fight and even that is only for Whittaker.

Weak talent on the card, but those fights you listed are definitely a great line-up for sparks to fly. Stephens loses when fighters stick to gameplan and fight sharp but Klose doesn't win fights clean like that. He's a guy that wins scraps and fights ugly. They're both hot heads and they almost fought at the face-off. That one should be hype. Alhassan and Sherman are two dudes I don't give upside to but who I always trust to be exciting.

I feel you on Whitaker vs Gastelum. I think Whitaker is built to counter Gastelum's strengths, but Kelvin almost always makes fights close and competitive. He won't go anywhere and with Whitaker starting slow sometimes, this could end up going to the wire. It's not a stacked card, but I think it will be entertaining.

Now someone needs to PM me a link to that Jake Paul boxing match because I def refuse to pay for it :lol: (sidenote: did you guys see the fighter pay for that card? UFC fighters making the biggest pay of their careers on a Youtube celebrity card).
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Mighty Mouse, Eddie Alvarez, Rodtang on TNT 4/7 

Post#1662 » by bringbackhoffa » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:53 pm

Some juicy odds if you are thinking of taking askren in one of the later rounds
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,322

Post#1663 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:26 am

j4remi wrote:
MelosSoreWrist wrote:UFC fight night: Whittaker vs Gastelum tonight.

Whittaker vs Gastelum should be an alright fight. I think Whittaker picks Kevin apart going in and out like he did Cannonier. I know Gastelum has a good chin but I can see a mid to late rounds finish.

I am interested to see what happens in the Romanov vs Espino fight. Two big fat grapplers with rudimentary standup going at it. I assume whoever ends up on top wins. I pick Romanov who is younger and seemingly stronger and more explosive.

Stephens vs Klose, Arlovski vs Sherman, Alhassan vs Malkoun should be bangers with popping stand up exchanges. I know Klose and Arlovski can make boring fights but I think Stephens and Sherman with their strengths and weaknesses will draw out fun fights.

But overall, a weak fight card. Headliner is the only significant fight and even that is only for Whittaker.

Weak talent on the card, but those fights you listed are definitely a great line-up for sparks to fly. Stephens loses when fighters stick to gameplan and fight sharp but Klose doesn't win fights clean like that. He's a guy that wins scraps and fights ugly. They're both hot heads and they almost fought at the face-off. That one should be hype. Alhassan and Sherman are two dudes I don't give upside to but who I always trust to be exciting.

I feel you on Whitaker vs Gastelum. I think Whitaker is built to counter Gastelum's strengths, but Kelvin almost always makes fights close and competitive. He won't go anywhere and with Whitaker starting slow sometimes, this could end up going to the wire. It's not a stacked card, but I think it will be entertaining.

Now someone needs to PM me a link to that Jake Paul boxing match because I def refuse to pay for it :lol: (sidenote: did you guys see the fighter pay for that card? UFC fighters making the biggest pay of their careers on a Youtube celebrity card).

any card where Bruce Buffer gets to say "Violent Bob Ross" is a good card
ImageImageImage
Guano
RealGM
And1: 40,555

Post#1664 » by Guano » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:37 am

Bobby Knuckles fight night!
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,701

Post#1665 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:35 am

Is it me or has this card sucked so far?
Free Palestine
bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#1666 » by bringbackhoffa » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:48 am

Wtf

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,445

Post#1667 » by robillionaire » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:00 am

bringbackhoffa wrote:Some juicy odds if you are thinking of taking askren in one of the later rounds

Glad I didn’t think of doing that lol
bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#1668 » by bringbackhoffa » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:04 am

robillionaire wrote:
bringbackhoffa wrote:Some juicy odds if you are thinking of taking askren in one of the later rounds

**** is rigged, gaming commission should be investigating.

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1669 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:05 am

Whitaker is so damn quick and his footwork is excellent. It's gotta be him vs Izzy next.
Free Palestine
Guano
RealGM

Post#1670 » by Guano » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:41 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Whitaker is so damn quick and his footwork is excellent. It's gotta be him vs Izzy next.

love Bobby Knuckles - not looking forward to him getting his a** kicked by Izzy again.

That said - I'm going to talk myself into his strikes being crisper and him using wrestling to win. So when he gets KO'd again I'll be disappointed.
Guano
RealGM

Post#1671 » by Guano » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:46 am

robillionaire wrote:

:lol:

smiling to the bank

Read on Twitter
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1672 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:41 am

Guano wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Whitaker is so damn quick and his footwork is excellent. It's gotta be him vs Izzy next.

love Bobby Knuckles - not looking forward to him getting his a** kicked by Izzy again.

That said - I'm going to talk myself into his strikes being crisper and him using wrestling to win. So when he gets KO'd again I'll be disappointed.

Meh, maybe Izzy is not feeling so invincible anymore and Knuckles has improved. Sometimes if that confidence is shook, even a little, things change.
Free Palestine
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,416

Post#1673 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:18 pm

a
Guano wrote:
robillionaire wrote:

smiling to the bank

Read on Twitter

Read some Reddit comments on the fight thread. Found this gem...

In the credits it literally said "Written and Directed by Bert Marcus". This was scripted lol

Edit: Just googled his name. He's literally a film director and has written boxing movies ("Champs" from 2014).

And another...

I found it weird that Nate Robinson was given more chance to recover and fight back than Ben Askren
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
robillionaire
RealGM

Post#1674 » by robillionaire » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:25 pm

BadNewsBarnes wrote:a
Guano wrote:
robillionaire wrote:

smiling to the bank

Read on Twitter

Read some Reddit comments on the fight thread. Found this gem...

In the credits it literally said "Written and Directed by Bert Marcus". This was scripted lol

Edit: Just googled his name. He's literally a film director and has written boxing movies ("Champs" from 2014).

And another...

I found it weird that Nate Robinson was given more chance to recover and fight back than Ben Askren

Oh come on that didn’t imply the fights were scripted it meant all the filler comedy bits musical segments and interviews with snoop dogg and urkel and whoever. It was a 4 hour event and like 15 minutes of it was boxing

I watched the whole thing, if they were going to script the fights they could have made most of them a hell of a lot more entertaining because they weren’t very entertaining
robillionaire
RealGM

Post#1675 » by robillionaire » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:29 pm

Now there’s a different subset of people who think it was “rigged” because the ref stopped the fight too fast, and that’s even more hilarious to believe. Did you watch the fight and see askren? His boxing form looked ancient he didn’t look like he was in shape and he was going to get murdered if they let it go on any further, and he didn’t look all there when he tried to get up from the knockdown. People were complaining in the Nate Robinson fight that they should have stopped it much earlier and this time they did
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,416

Post#1676 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:35 pm

robillionaire wrote:Now there’s a different subset of people who think it was “rigged” because the ref stopped the fight too fast, and that’s even more hilarious to believe. Did you watch the fight and see askren? His boxing form looked ancient he didn’t look like he was in shape and he was going to get murdered if they let it go on any further, and he didn’t look all there when he tried to get up from the knockdown. People were complaining in the Nate Robinson fight that they should have stopped it much earlier and this time they did

Yes I saw the replay this morning. Askren looked like a catcher and not in shape.

So when is Paul going to fight a real fighter? They can rinse and repeat forever at this rate.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
robillionaire
RealGM

Post#1677 » by robillionaire » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:43 pm

BadNewsBarnes wrote:
robillionaire wrote:Now there’s a different subset of people who think it was “rigged” because the ref stopped the fight too fast, and that’s even more hilarious to believe. Did you watch the fight and see askren? His boxing form looked ancient he didn’t look like he was in shape and he was going to get murdered if they let it go on any further, and he didn’t look all there when he tried to get up from the knockdown. People were complaining in the Nate Robinson fight that they should have stopped it much earlier and this time they did

Yes I saw the replay this morning. Askren looked like a catcher and not in shape.

So when is Paul going to fight a real fighter? They can rinse and repeat forever at this rate.

Yeah I agree. He’s already beat internet celebrities, retired basketball player and out of shape mma fighter. If he won’t fight some other active boxer at this point there’s not much of a reason to care, of course they are still making a lot of money so they might let him clobber a few more sideshow clowns before that actually happens if it ever does
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1678 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:00 am

Interesting card this weekend.

Zhang vs. Thug Rose is a fascinating fight.

Usman vs. Jorge 2 will be a banger.

Andrade vs. Valentina

Weidman vs. Hall 2
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,501

Post#1679 » by j4remi » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:14 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Interesting card this weekend.

Andrade vs. Valentina

Weidman vs. Hall 2

As it approaches, I've had trouble getting hype for this one because the main fights feel one-sided. Valentina and Usman seem like comfortable favorites. Zhang vs Rose ought to be really good though. Weidman vs Hall...idk, I can't get hype for it. Both have fallen off and are chasing a bit of momentum but I think they'll just get beaten by the better opponents.

Alex Oliveira vs Randy Brown is some FLAMES though.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1680 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:57 pm

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Interesting card this weekend.

Andrade vs. Valentina

Weidman vs. Hall 2

As it approaches, I've had trouble getting hype for this one because the main fights feel one-sided. Valentina and Usman seem like comfortable favorites. Zhang vs Rose ought to be really good though. Weidman vs Hall...idk, I can't get hype for it. Both have fallen off and are chasing a bit of momentum but I think they'll just get beaten by the better opponents.

Alex Oliveira vs Randy Brown is some FLAMES though.

I guess the weasel got me up for the other fights with his damn video. :lol:
Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks