ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 268 in MSG Usman vs Colby 2, Rose vs Zhang 2

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 245 is HYPE! Come make picks! 

Post#561 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:51 am

Stannis wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
NoStatsGuy wrote:
finish some1 in sparring leave for 3 days and get drunk is not being in a camp. but yea

Khabib had him shook

As soon as Comor stepped in the Octagon that fight, he knew he effed up. Made no eye contact and looked scared.

Khabib is a different animal. He was born in darkness like Bane.

I just listened to a couple of interviews, one of Kevin Lee with Ariel Halwani the other of Michael Bisping. Both fighters, who were trying to be respectful of Cerrone, suggested that you're done as a fighter if you're stunned by shoulder strikes. According to them, shoulder strikes should be nothing more than a nuisance. I love Cowboy too, but he was done before the Conor fight.

I would've much preferred Kevin Lee or Goethe but they were scared of what might happen to the UFC cash cow.

Also, really happy for Modafferi. Was Barber an jerk to her leading up to the fight?

POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#562 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:44 am

Robert Whitaker pulls out of UFC 247 to donate bone marrow to his daughter.

https://www.mmamania.com/2020/1/22/21076449/midnight-mania-robert-whittaker-ufc-248-espn-ufc
POSTING POLICIES:
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,304

Post#563 » by NoStatsGuy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:29 am

Stannis wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
NoStatsGuy wrote:
finish some1 in sparring leave for 3 days and get drunk is not being in a camp. but yea

Khabib had him shook

As soon as Comor stepped in the Octagon that fight, he knew he effed up. Made no eye contact and looked scared.

Khabib is a different animal. He was born in darkness like Bane.

Ohhhhh thats why he wants the rematch... riiiight. gotchu :nod:
im bout dat action boss
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,596

Post#564 » by Stannis » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:13 pm

NoStatsGuy wrote:Ohhhhh thats why he wants the rematch... riiiight. gotchu :nod:

It probably has something to do with there being more difficult fighters available. Slapping Conor around isn't going to help his legacy.

Only reason this rematch will eventually happen, is because Conor's privilege of having a large fanbase and being Dana's favorite. He was never going to actually earn his rematch like most fighters have to.
Free Palestine
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#565 » by Fury » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:20 pm

Stannis wrote:
NoStatsGuy wrote:Ohhhhh thats why he wants the rematch... riiiight. gotchu :nod:

It probably has something to do with there being more difficult fighters available. Slapping Conor around isn't going to help his legacy.

Only reason this rematch will eventually happen, is because Conor's privilege of having a large fanbase and being Dana's favorite. He was never going to actually earn his rematch like most fighters have to.

Yep. Has Conor ever given a rematch? Yet he got one from Nate and he will from Khabib
Stannis
RealGM

Post#566 » by Stannis » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:35 pm

Fury wrote:
Stannis wrote:

Yep. Has Conor ever given a rematch? Yet he got one from Nate and he will from Khabib

No. Because Conor only beats fighters when they are at their best. So rematches are unnecessary.

In all seriousness, the only rematch that should happen right now is Diaz-Conor. They fought twice. First fight had a clear winner. I had Conor clearly winning the 2nd fight, but there's still some doubters. They should settle it by making it a trilogy.
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,436

Post#567 » by j4remi » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:49 pm

Stannis wrote:

The latest rumor is that Bob Arum and Dana White are talking Terence Crawford fighting Conor in a 1+1 MMA and Boxing. Idk if it's real, I don't care for it...but it frees up Khabib for Gaethje 8-)

Real talk...I NEED to see these Dagestan Sambo killers face all american wrestlers. Islam Makchaev just ducked Kevin Lee in my book. Askarov gave up multiple trips to Tim Elliot who isn't elite with the takedown game (great scrambler and submission fighter but not great at takedowns or maintaining position). Khabib hasn't fought the elite wrestlers either, but Al had some success and Tibau gave him hell (and took him down). So I need Gaethje to get a look and Lee to make his run too. I really just want to see the dominant grapplers of our era all go up against each other. Get Conor out of here, he can fight Masvidal for a fun stand up war.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Stannis
RealGM

Post#568 » by Stannis » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:54 pm

j4remi wrote:
Stannis wrote:

The latest rumor is that Bob Arum and Dana White are talking Terence Crawford fighting Conor in a 1+1 MMA and Boxing. Idk if it's real, I don't care for it...but it frees up Khabib for Gaethje 8-)

Real talk...I NEED to see these Dagestan Sambo killers face all american wrestlers. Islam Makchaev just ducked Kevin Lee in my book. Askarov gave up multiple trips to Tim Elliot who isn't elite with the takedown game (great scrambler and submission fighter but not great at takedowns or maintaining position). Khabib hasn't fought the elite wrestlers either, but Al had some success and Tibau gave him hell (and took him down). So I need Gaethje to get a look and Lee to make his run too. I really just want to see the dominant grapplers of our era all go up against each other. Get Conor out of here, he can fight Masvidal for a fun stand up war.

Not a fan of these UFC/Boxing crossovers tbh. Seems comedic and gimmicky. One guy will always have the clear advantage.
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,436

Post#569 » by j4remi » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:15 pm

Stannis wrote:
Not a fan of these UFC/Boxing crossovers tbh. Seems comedic and gimmicky. One guy will always have the clear advantage.

I hate them. Especially when they interrupt divisions. I don't completely hate it in this case because I like Crawford and what it will do for his profile but it's a pure gimmick for sure. It's like a notch below Super Fights which I also take issue with in most cases. With Super Fights I've got my own set of rules for when I don't mind it. The fighters have to have no clear contender, the size difference can't be too drastic and it's not a super fight unless both fighters have proven dominant.

Zhang vs Shevchenko is a fight I like, but not a superfight until Zhang beats a couple more contenders and proves she's truly dominant.

Rory vs Gegard wasn't a super fight because the size difference was too big for Rory to overcome even if he was at his best (he's honestly fallen off since the Lawler fight imo)

Bisping vs GSP loses points because Bisping hadn't defended his belt against a proper contender.

Cejudo chasing super fights with legitimate contenders in both his divisions was BS.

But Nunes...she can fight a superfight. I don't even mind the Shields stuff except that Shields has no prayer in MMA and should just take her time developing like Stamp Fairtex the Muay Thai beast in One.

Jones after Reyes definitely could go to HW or find a superfight.

Adesanya after Romero and Costa is probably good for one too (though Cannonier is lurking and could force this discussion to add one more fight).
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,055

Post#570 » by Tron Carter » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:38 pm

Tony is finishing khabib so there will be no rematch.
R.I.P Black Mamba
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,304

Post#571 » by NoStatsGuy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:18 pm

Tron Carter wrote:Tony is finishing khabib so there will be no rematch.

probably. the glorification of khabib goes way too far :D

hes good at controlling legs, ground and poound cuz hes naturally very powerful and its soooo hard to get him off.

he has no chin, suspect striking and will lose at some point like every other human being in MMA. It will happen to JBJ as well sooner or later (not counting that DQ loss).

Tony is very dangerous off the back. like i said many times in this thread, Tony is the man that has the best chances, beating khabib on paper

//EDIT

i also have strong believe Gaethje would beat khabib, but unfortunately hes the odd man out in this whole picture
im bout dat action boss
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#572 » by GEOLINK » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:52 pm

Khabib fans are f*cking annoying. They need to be brought down a peg as well.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#573 » by GEOLINK » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:53 pm

Tibau beat Khabib.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#574 » by Stannis » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:14 pm

GEOLINK wrote:Khabib fans are f*cking annoying. They need to be brought down a peg as well.

Truth be told, I never actually met a real Khabib fan. I just knew a lot of people who wanted him to beat Conor. In that regard, there's nothing Conor fans can do, but to just man up to the result and move on. Because if they continue to make excuses, they will get reminded of the actual result.
Free Palestine
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#575 » by GEOLINK » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:37 pm

Stannis wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:Khabib fans are f*cking annoying. They need to be brought down a peg as well.

Truth be told, I never actually met a real Khabib fan. I just knew a lot of people who wanted him to beat Conor. In that regard, there's nothing Conor fans can do, but to just man up to the result and move on. Because if they continue to make excuses, they will get reminded of the actual result.

The result is the result. Nothing can change that.

Except knowing that Khabib beat a drunk, coked up version of Conor.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#576 » by Stannis » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:27 pm

GEOLINK wrote:Except knowing that Khabib beat a drunk, coked up version of Conor.

What do you expect Khabib fans to say to that?

Even if that were true, that's still Conor's fault.

Say if Conor beat a Khabib that was fasting for Ramadan. Would you say Conor never really beat Khabib but a dehydrated fighter?
Free Palestine
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#577 » by GEOLINK » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:29 pm

Stannis wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:Except knowing that Khabib beat a drunk, coked up version of Conor.

Say if Conor beat a Khabib that was fasting for Ramadan. Would you say Conor never really beat Khabib but a dehydrated fighter?

Why would Khabib fight if he was fasting for Ramadan? Wouldn't the fight take place November-December if that were the case to have it after Ramadan?
Stannis
RealGM

Post#578 » by Stannis » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:15 pm

GEOLINK wrote:
Stannis wrote:

Why would Khabib fight if he was fasting for Ramadan? Wouldn't the fight take place November-December if that were the case to have it after Ramadan?

It was just a hypothetical question.

I can't say if "Khabib was drinking, doing drugs, messing around" because he would never do that.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#579 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:45 am

GEOLINK wrote:
Stannis wrote:

Khabib will be fully ready to fight in September, maybe August but that could be pushing it. But Conor has to fight Justin Goethe first. Bwahahaha

We should be able to make that fight relatively soon. Maybe April. Then if Conor should happen to beat Justin, he could then fight Khabib in September.
POSTING POLICIES:
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#580 » by GEOLINK » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:08 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
Stannis wrote:

Khabib will be fully ready to fight in September, maybe August but that could be pushing it. But Conor has to fight Justin Goethe first. Bwahahaha

We should be able to make that fight relatively soon. Maybe April. Then if Conor should happen to beat Justin, he could then fight Khabib in September.

I got Conor in that fight against Justin.

Return to New York Knicks