ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 268 in MSG Usman vs Colby 2, Rose vs Zhang 2

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 250 Nunes vs Spencer: top to bottom good fights again 

Post#981 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:45 am

j4remi wrote:
j4remi wrote:Top to bottom they're great. I want O'Malley to fight one of the other prospects, preferably Yadong because I think Stamman has earned a higher ranked opponent next. Sterling HAS to get the winner of Aldo/Yan. Then the fight I REALLY want to see is this version of Cody Garbrandt meeting Marlon Moraes. That'd be my most anticipated fight in the division.

Read on Twitter

Wow. I thought Moraes was going to get a shot at Volko. Does that mean we get Volko/Holloway III? Cody looked great in his last fight.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,432

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 250 Nunes vs Spencer: top to bottom good fights again 

Post#982 » by j4remi » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:54 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Wow. I thought Moraes was going to get a shot at Volko. Does that mean we get Volko/Holloway III? Cody looked great in his last fight.

Moraes is 135 (easy to mix up though bc he’s huge and just fought Aldo). Moraes vs cody would be perfect to set up a contender for the winner of Yan vs Sterling which needs to happen.

For volk vs Holloway, I don’t see it happening. But at the same time the consensus next up was supposed to be Korean Zombie but Volk is saying Zombie has to beat Brian Ortega first...so the door is sort of open, especially with such a heavy leaning toward max winning...and the biggest defense of volk is people meaning significant strike stats but once again obfuscating that nearly half of Volk’s significant strikes were friggin leg kicks again.

If I had to guess; volk would rather fight the winner of yair vs zabit. Those two have big potential but proven flaws. Zombie and Max were the two I’ve said would beat volk and even though the judges screwed me; I’m counting myself 1/1 on that prediction :lol:
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Fight Island Usman vs Masvidal super card 

Post#983 » by j4remi » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:02 pm

I almost forgot y’all, it’s a fight day. Ufc has some shows to make up so we get a midweek. The card lacks star power but honestly, it’s got some good fights.

Ige vs Kattar feels like a sure thing. Kattar’s distant management and boxing vs ige who will tough it out and try to fight ugly if he must has FotN written all over it.

Benoit vs Elliot ought to have some fun scrambles.

Rivera vs Stamman is low key fire with short notice adding intrigue.

Al Hassan was a hype prospect but I need to look into the story on some allegations that side tracked him.

And lastly, McCann is no world beater but she’s an easy fighter to root for who will scrap it out.

Haven’t checked the undercard enough to make confident calls but Jack Shore looked like the real deal his first time out and has some hype behind him...he blew it on his nickname though, calls himself “tank” as if “sure thing” wouldn’t be the smoothest ish ever.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#984 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:37 pm

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Wow. I thought Moraes was going to get a shot at Volko. Does that mean we get Volko/Holloway III? Cody looked great in his last fight.

Moraes is 135 (easy to mix up though bc he’s huge and just fought Aldo). Moraes vs cody would be perfect to set up a contender for the winner of Yan vs Sterling which needs to happen.

For volk vs Holloway, I don’t see it happening. But at the same time the consensus next up was supposed to be Korean Zombie but Volk is saying Zombie has to beat Brian Ortega first...so the door is sort of open, especially with such a heavy leaning toward max winning...and the biggest defense of volk is people meaning significant strike stats but once again obfuscating that nearly half of Volk’s significant strikes were friggin leg kicks again.

If I had to guess; volk would rather fight the winner of yair vs zabit. Those two have big potential but proven flaws. Zombie and Max were the two I’ve said would beat volk and even though the judges screwed me; I’m counting myself 1/1 on that prediction :lol:

My bad on Moraes. I thought I read that somewhere. Volk should keep his mouth shut and count his lucky stars that he's still champ. :lol: Who is he to declare that Zombie has to beat Brian Ortega, of all people, first. Ortega hasn't fought, I believe, since Max used him for a punching bag. Doesn't Ortega have to climb his way back up again like Cody had to. At least one fight to show he's still a viable contender?
POSTING POLICIES:
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Fight Island Usman vs Masvidal super card 

Post#985 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:39 am

I’m calling it Rivera by unanimous decision 30-27
POSTING POLICIES:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#986 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:42 am

Ige moves around the octagon like an Alvin Ailey dancer
POSTING POLICIES:
bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,039

Post#987 » by bringbackhoffa » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:39 am

Thank you Katter for beating the over hyped Ige.. let's give him Hollaway next!

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#988 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:08 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:Thank you Katter for beating the over hyped Ige.. let's give him Hollaway next!

But first ... Brian Ortega! :lol:
POSTING POLICIES:
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#989 » by j4remi » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:10 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:Thank you Katter for beating the over hyped Ige.. let's give him Hollaway next!

In a perfect world, I'd set up Kattar to fight the winner of Yair/Zabit. His first fight with Zabit shoulda never been cut down to 3 rounds only, he takes that fight in 5 comfortably. If Yair were to win instead, that's an absolute striking show for us to enjoy.

Ige is tough as hell too, I was surprised at how competitive he made it through three. I'd love to see how he fares with a power guy like Stephens.

Also, it's really too bad that Emmett got hurt. He'd be an interesting match-up for any of these cats.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#990 » by bringbackhoffa » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:11 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

But first ... Brian Ortega! :lol:

Ortega and Korean Zombie have had some good back and forth on social media so i would like to see that fight happen.. If hollaway isnt a possibility and Katter wants to stay active I say you throw him Barboza, i actually thought Barboza beat Ige...

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#991 » by bringbackhoffa » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:13 pm

j4remi wrote:

In a perfect world, I'd set up Kattar to fight the winner of Yair/Zabit. His first fight with Zabit shoulda never been cut down to 3 rounds only, he takes that fight in 5 comfortably. If Yair were to win instead, that's an absolute striking show for us to enjoy.

Ige is tough as hell too, I was surprised at how competitive he made it through three. I'd love to see how he fares with a power guy like Stephens.

Also, it's really too bad that Emmett got hurt. He'd be an interesting match-up for any of these cats.

i think the winner of Zabit v Yair could get the title shot if Ortega v Zombie is delayed or is a snoozefest (unlikely given all Zombie fights are insane).. ideally it would be fun to run back Zombie v Yair and Katter v Zabit and Halloway v Volk lol

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#992 » by j4remi » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:20 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:My bad on Moraes. I thought I read that somewhere. Volk should keep his mouth shut and count his lucky stars that he's still champ. :lol: Who is he to declare that Zombie has to beat Brian Ortega, of all people, first. Ortega hasn't fought, I believe, since Max used him for a punching bag. Doesn't Ortega have to climb his way back up again like Cody had to. At least one fight to show he's still a viable contender?

Yeah fam, it's absolutely wild that Volk is making demands off a fight most people think he lost. Zombie was supposed to fight Ortega to prove he was a contender, when that fell through he went out and KO'ed Frankie Edgar in dominant fashion instead. That should have been enough to be a contender, especially when no one else has beaten stiffer competition.

The only reason Ortega got back into the conversation is because he slapped Zombie's manager and turned it into a grudge match. Both dudes kinda have the same problem, the guys they beat on their way up are no longer the cream of the crop so the resumes are tougher sells...that is unless you factor in that Zombie had Yair beaten outright. Zombie also can brag about tapping out Poirier who is at the top of the toughest division in the sport right now. He's the real deal.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#993 » by j4remi » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:23 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:i think the winner of Zabit v Yair could get the title shot if Ortega v Zombie is delayed or is a snoozefest (unlikely given all Zombie fights are insane).. ideally it would be fun to run back Zombie v Yair and Katter v Zabit and Halloway v Volk lol

I'd pay to watch those rematches for sure :lol:
If Emmett were healthy, you could pump in Emmett vs Stephens and turn it into a tournament format like Bellator was doing. All rematches in the quarter finals to set up epic semi-finals and finals fights.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#994 » by bringbackhoffa » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:43 pm

j4remi wrote:
bringbackhoffa wrote:i think the winner of Zabit v Yair could get the title shot if Ortega v Zombie is delayed or is a snoozefest (unlikely given all Zombie fights are insane).. ideally it would be fun to run back Zombie v Yair and Katter v Zabit and Halloway v Volk lol

If Emmett were healthy, you could pump in Emmett vs Stephens and turn it into a tournament format like Bellator was doing. All rematches in the quarter finals to set up epic semi-finals and finals fights.

i think i will rewatch the Yair v Zombie fight today lol

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#995 » by bringbackhoffa » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:44 pm

j4remi wrote:

how long do we wait for Bryce Mitchell to be in the conversation to face top level talent?

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#996 » by j4remi » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:21 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:
how long do we wait for Bryce Mitchell to be in the conversation to face top level talent?

I think he should finish his next fight with a Ryan Hall call out. There can be only one bjj monster that all the high ranked guys refuse to fight per division :lol:

Real talk though, I think Bryce is only one or two wins away from a top 15 fight. Ryan Hall would make a lot of sense once Bryce gets there and then the winner ought to ride that into some higher profile opponents. But dominant grapplers get ducked often. Gregor Gillespie and Ryan Hall basically have to take whatever they can get because no one wants to deal with them and look bad. Gregor had to accept a wrestler twice his size and Hall has 4 fights in 5 years since winning TUF despite being healthy. I hope Bryce doesn't get screwed like that.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,948

Post#997 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:33 pm

Thug Nasty ready to start serving fools.

Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#998 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:00 pm

j4remi wrote:
bringbackhoffa wrote:

I think he should finish his next fight with a Ryan Hall call out. There can be only one bjj monster that all the high ranked guys refuse to fight per division :lol:

Real talk though, I think Bryce is only one or two wins away from a top 15 fight. Ryan Hall would make a lot of sense once Bryce gets there and then the winner ought to ride that into some higher profile opponents. But dominant grapplers get ducked often. Gregor Gillespie and Ryan Hall basically have to take whatever they can get because no one wants to deal with them and look bad. Gregor had to accept a wrestler twice his size and Hall has 4 fights in 5 years since winning TUF despite being healthy. I hope Bryce doesn't get screwed like that.

Can’t Dana make fighters fight Ryan Hall? Unless Hall hasn’t really been looking to fight.
POSTING POLICIES:
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#999 » by j4remi » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:01 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Can’t Dana make fighters fight Ryan Hall? Unless Hall hasn’t really been looking to fight.

It's doable up to a certain level, but usually when the elite grapplers get to the top 15 it slows down. They have a much smaller pool of opponents that make any sense to fight at that point and when you add guys facing each other to the guys that won't accept the fight; the challenge of finding a valid opponent becomes really daunting.

For Hall, he finally hit a point where he straight up started listing names in two divisions and saying "any of you, anyone, just someone fight me that's ranked" and that ended with him accepting a fight with...Ricardo Lamas, unranked and 1-3 in his last 4 fights. :banghead:
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1000 » by j4remi » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:08 pm

Here's a wild one. Fanduel is refunding bets on Max Holloway. The writer goes on about how the judging could be understood but I think that's what makes this such a cool story. Everyone and their mom knows who the better fighter was Saturday and Fanduel made a nice gesture to acknowledge as much. If my bookie did the same I'd have broken even...smh

Online sportsbook FanDuel made a surprising announcement Monday that it’s refunding anyone who placed a bet on Max Holloway winning after his “controversial” split decision loss to Alexander Volkanovski in their featherweight title fight at UFC 251.

Come again? You read that correctly: A sportsbook is giving back money (OK, site credit) to customers who lost fair and square.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/07/ufc-251-fanduel-refunds-max-holloway-bettors-after-loss-to-alexander-volkanovski?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A%20Trending%20Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0tR_lwVJC6JyTiCKsVgsE1W_eJp2-9dYiiLuCp4K4fDZyeMSSeIKyQnIk
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Return to New York Knicks