ImageImageImageImageImage

BaF Season Three: Offseason thread (Free Agency announcement- page 96)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Re: BaF Season Two: Finals/Offseason thread 

Post#21 » by King of Canada » Sat Jun 1, 2019 11:58 am

The extensions are interesting because you really need to gauge whether or not a guy deserves it or may deserve it, paired with the value of their contract. People that drafted well later in the draft will get compensated for their scouting too. It also makes it way funner and harder having our draft before the IRL draft.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#22 » by Knicksfan20 » Sat Jun 1, 2019 12:31 pm

Not sure if i like this proposal with the fact that we arnt allowed to go over the salary cap.

Imagine paying over 3/4 of your allowed salary cap on 1 player. 90% rule is going to kill people with high draft picks.

I think a Max contract should be created. 525 +4years is a max contract when resigning your own player. 490-500+ 3 years is the max a team could offer an UFA. (Numbers can be adjusted to whatever works best. Lesser years should be used since we dont know the longevity of this game)

I know we arnt playing with max contracts, but i think if we are going to implement a change involving money and exentions, we should just have a max contract. Would make things less complicated and less hectic.

Then...Maybe we should have the "60-70% contract extension" Where its a contract that is 60-70% of the max.

So if 525 is the max, around 370 would be this extension type.

A team could offer their player the 70% max if a UFA and the max an opposing team could offer is about 340 with 1 less year. Or they could offer the max which is 490-500 making the other team have to match and pay max money as well. The team drafting the player will always have the advantage giving the ability to sign at a higher value and an extra year as well.

There is no in between. Either u can offer the full max or the 60-70% max. Or you can offer 3 years 200 or 220 or 85 or 25 or whaver you want until you get to the higher pay grades (300+) Still making the game about bidding for players. Just when it comes to the higher tier of players, we should have set in stone contracts to make things less crazy.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,252

Post#23 » by DOT » Sat Jun 1, 2019 12:36 pm

For my clarification, 90 plan can only be offered after a player's rookie year, not after their 2nd or 3rd year?

So, if one of my guys has a mediocre first year and I don't extend him then, but he breaks out his 2nd year, I don't have the option to extend him for a full 3 years?
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,599

Post#24 » by El Poochio » Sat Jun 1, 2019 1:00 pm

Wait just realized player's salary hikes after year 1 loool wtf so stupid

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
El Poochio

Post#25 » by El Poochio » Sat Jun 1, 2019 1:02 pm

K-DOT wrote:For my clarification, 90 plan can only be offered after a player's rookie year, not after their 2nd or 3rd year?

So, if one of my guys has a mediocre first year and I don't extend him then, but he breaks out his 2nd year, I don't have the option to extend him for a full 3 years?

Thank you I thought salary rises after rookie contract and you decide to extend or not after rookie contract how the hell you are supposed now the player is developing as you like in 1 year

El Poochio

Post#26 » by El Poochio » Sat Jun 1, 2019 1:03 pm

Træ Young on the block looking for known quality NO DRAFT PICKS

bishnykfan
Knicks Forum Game Commish
And1: 13,600

Post#27 » by bishnykfan » Sat Jun 1, 2019 1:03 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:Not sure if i like this proposal with the fact that we arnt allowed to go over the salary cap.

Imagine paying over 3/4 of your allowed salary cap on 1 player. 90% rule is going to kill people with high draft picks.

I think a Max contract should be created. 525 +4years is a max contract when resigning your own player. 490-500+ 3 years is the max a team could offer an UFA. (Numbers can be adjusted to whatever works best. Lesser years should be used since we dont know the longevity of this game)

I know we arnt playing with max contracts, but i think if we are going to implement a change involving money and exentions, we should just have a max contract. Would make things less complicated and less hectic.

Then...Maybe we should have the "60-70% contract extension" Where its a contract that is 60-70% of the max.

So if 525 is the max, around 370 would be this extension type.

A team could offer their player the 70% max if a UFA and the max an opposing team could offer is about 340 with 1 less year. Or they could offer the max which is 490-500 making the other team have to match and pay max money as well. The team drafting the player will always have the advantage giving the ability to sign at a higher value and an extra year as well.

There is no in between. Either u can offer the full max or the 60-70% max. Or you can offer 3 years 200 or 220 or 85 or 25 or whaver you want until you get to the higher pay grades (300+) Still making the game about bidding for players. Just when it comes to the higher tier of players, we should have set in stone contracts to make things less crazy.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're saying? Extensions, as proposed, can only be given to drafted players on their rookie contracts. So the #1 pick from last year Bagley, if he was given a max 90% extension, would still only be making $113 a year. This years #1 pick, if given a max extension after next season would be make $128 a year. If a team wants to extend these high draft picks and they have the cap space, how does it kill that team? No extensions really will ever be anywhere near $525 a year or 3/4 of your cap.
All-Time Draft

PG- Oscar Robertson/Bob Cousy
SG- Earl Monroe/James Harden/Dana Barros
SF- Billy Cunningham/Michael Finley/Chet Walker
PF- Elvin Hayes/Dolph Schayes/Tom Chambers/Danny Manning
C- Walt Bellamy/Neil Johnston/Darryl Dawkins
bishnykfan

Post#28 » by bishnykfan » Sat Jun 1, 2019 1:06 pm

K-DOT wrote:For my clarification, 90 plan can only be offered after a player's rookie year, not after their 2nd or 3rd year?

Right, to offer the max extension, you would need to make that call after rookie year before year two. If your player breaks out after year two, you still have the option to extend him for an additional two years making his rookie contract a six year deal rather then his initial four year deal. Because you get two years rather than three on his extension, it doesn't cost the team as much.
All-Time Draft

bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Post#29 » by bringbackhoffa » Sat Jun 1, 2019 1:09 pm

Still a bargain if u have the capspace to lock in a player for $110 a year following his rookie season as u lock him up for 7 more years. Manage your cap better!

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
El Poochio

Post#30 » by El Poochio » Sat Jun 1, 2019 1:10 pm

Imagine actually ever using this extension rule its like hitting yourself in purpose

El Poochio

Post#31 » by El Poochio » Sat Jun 1, 2019 1:12 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:Still a bargain if u have the capspace to lock in a player for $110 a year following his rookie season as u lock him up for 7 more years. Manage your cap better!

Unless Lebron James horrible lol

But anything making people waste their money more is better for me

El Poochio

Post#32 » by El Poochio » Sat Jun 1, 2019 1:13 pm

Just make team option +5 years +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 each season after the rookie contract ends so easy

bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#33 » by bringbackhoffa » Sat Jun 1, 2019 1:13 pm

El Poochio wrote:
bringbackhoffa wrote:Still a bargain if u have the capspace to lock in a player for $110 a year following his rookie season as u lock him up for 7 more years. Manage your cap better!

At least Siakam doesnt have to worry about this, as I have cleared the decks for him..

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
El Poochio

Post#34 » by El Poochio » Sat Jun 1, 2019 1:17 pm

How the hell I am supposed to know after 1 year I can build around this guy or not lol especially when sim has his rating totally unrelated with real life

Imagine making you decide after 1 year and having a sim a year behind lmao

El Poochio

Post#35 » by El Poochio » Sat Jun 1, 2019 1:19 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:
El Poochio wrote:

At least Siakam doesnt have to worry about this, as I have cleared the decks for him..

Time to extend Bamba %90 before knowing what rating sim gonna pull randomly out of its bag

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,252

Post#36 » by DOT » Sat Jun 1, 2019 1:21 pm

bishnykfan wrote:

Right, to offer the max extension, you would need to make that call after rookie year before year two. If your player breaks out after year two, you still have the option to extend him for an additional two years making his rookie contract a six year deal rather then his initial four year deal. Because you get two years rather than three on his extension, it doesn't cost the team as much.

Not a huge fan of limiting my options, and I think that kind of punishes guys who pick a player that takes some time to develop

I'd do something like, you can extend for the 90% after any year, but you still have to pay the same total amount you would have if you had extended after the first year, just over fewer years

So, in the case of Bagley, if I chose not to extend him after year 1, but did the 90 plan after year 2, it'd be 59, 59, then the remaining 619 over the last 5 years, or 124 per year instead of 113. Or after year 3, be 59 for the first 3 years, 140 the last 4, after year 4 be 59 the first 4, 167 the last 3

So, it gives you flexibility to decide when to extend, it's balanced so that if you extend early, you get more value from the last few years of their contract for guys that are obvious 90 plan candidates like an Ayton or Doncic, or if you need cap now you can keep them on their current deals, but you'll have to pay more for them eventually
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#37 » by bringbackhoffa » Sat Jun 1, 2019 1:22 pm

El Poochio wrote:
bringbackhoffa wrote:
El Poochio wrote:

Time to extend Bamba %90 before knowing what rating sim gonna pull randomly out of its bag

Na never extending my players not a fan of this proposal, I will just manage my cap properly and re-sign them in the open market. I had liked what smash had proposed. Player like Zion and doncic should be making 300+ after there rookie deal is up..

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,220

Post#38 » by Deeeez Knicks » Sat Jun 1, 2019 1:24 pm

I vote yes.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
bishnykfan

Post#39 » by bishnykfan » Sat Jun 1, 2019 1:26 pm

El Poochio wrote:How the hell I am supposed to know after 1 year I can build around this guy or not lol especially when sim has his rating totally unrelated with real life

Imagine making you decide after 1 year and having a sim a year behind lmao

The way it is, IMO, is that if you don't know after one year, then you still have a chance to offer an extension after year two. You can still keep the player for two additional years before UFA. This allows teams to clear cap space if necessary also. And if you still don't know after two years whether or not you want to build around someone, then you can still lock up that player for an additional year after his third season in the league. It just provides more options then a 3(4) year rookie deal. No one has to extend anyone.

I would guess that many teams from last years draft would like to lock up their draft pick for an additional three years right now. Some teams that drafted well and liked the rookie year will have the courage and foresight to extend a player. I understand if not everyone will do that.

But, feel free to vote no if you don't like it! :D
All-Time Draft

bishnykfan

Post#40 » by bishnykfan » Sat Jun 1, 2019 1:28 pm

El Poochio wrote:
bringbackhoffa wrote:
El Poochio wrote:

I get that you don't like the sim...just not sure exactly why? Looking at the standings, they are pretty close to how people thought they would go in our preseason power rankings. The stat leaders are also pretty close to what they are IRL.
All-Time Draft

Return to New York Knicks