ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2020 Mets Thread, p. 50

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

egelband
Rookie
And1: 374

Re: Official 2020 Mets Thread, p. 50 

Post#1861 » by egelband » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:53 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
NYK Dolemite wrote:Love the idea that El Mago might re-sign quickly. He’s a great fit for this team. Baty POtW in the Arizona Fall League as well.

I wonder what this means for McNeil and JD? I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of turnover in this team's roster this off season.

Thinks so too. JD and McNeil likely out. I think they can still get some decent value for them. Dom probably comes back; particularly if they have the DH. Hope Thor comes back. Conforto, I like a lot but Boras makes everything too difficult. I don’t think Steve Cohen and he will see eye-to-eye. And replacing Conforto is probably on the easier-side. Though I expect a big bounce-back season from him next season. I think re-signing Stro and Baez is key. Love the high-end prospects. But they’re probably a year or two from making the jump and they won’t be gifted starters roles.
I dunno.
NYK Dolemite
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,202

Post#1862 » by NYK Dolemite » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:31 am

[gfycat][/gfycat]
egelband wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
NYK Dolemite wrote:Love the idea that El Mago might re-sign quickly. He’s a great fit for this team. Baty POtW in the Arizona Fall League as well.

I wonder what this means for McNeil and JD? I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of turnover in this team's roster this off season.

Thinks so too. JD and McNeil likely out. I think they can still get some decent value for them. Dom probably comes back; particularly if they have the DH. Hope Thor comes back. Conforto, I like a lot but Boras makes everything too difficult. I don’t think Steve Cohen and he will see eye-to-eye. And replacing Conforto is probably on the easier-side. Though I expect a big bounce-back season from him next season. I think re-signing Stro and Baez is key. Love the high-end prospects. But they’re probably a year or two from making the jump and they won’t be gifted starters roles.

I’d shop McNeil and Davis. Resign Baez and Stroman and offer Thor the QO (he likely takes it). That’s my start. Then I’d target CF and move Nimmo to a corner position. Conforto isn’t worth a 6/150 deal which Boras will be looking for. He’s not consistent at all
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,250

Post#1863 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:18 pm

NYK Dolemite wrote:
I’d shop McNeil and Davis. Resign Baez and Stroman and offer Thor the QO (he likely takes it). That’s my start. Then I’d target CF and move Nimmo to a corner position. Conforto isn’t worth a 6/150 deal which Boras will be looking for. He’s not consistent at all

Shopping is one thing, whether they get a good offer and make a trade is another.

I think JD could be a good DH, he just needs to stay healthy. He was on fire last year for the first month of the season, then he got hurt and when he came back he wasn't the same. He's also dirt cheap.

McNeil is a nice utility guy to have who can play 2B and LF and even if he's benched, he's a lefty off the bench and lefty bench bats are good to have. He's also been a good hitter every year but 2021, so there's a chance for a bounce back, or maybe pitchers have figured him out.

Dom is another one who could be gone, though he wasn't that bad a glove in the OF. I'll believe those guys are gone when I see it. I'm sure they'll have discussions, but I'm not sure the team gets better if they make an uninspired trade just to get rid of some of their young players.
Go NY Go NY Go
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,656

Post#1864 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:51 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:
NYK Dolemite wrote:

Shopping is one thing, whether they get a good offer and make a trade is another.

I think JD could be a good DH, he just needs to stay healthy. He was on fire last year for the first month of the season, then he got hurt and when he came back he wasn't the same. He's also dirt cheap.

McNeil is a nice utility guy to have who can play 2B and LF and even if he's benched, he's a lefty off the bench and lefty bench bats are good to have. He's also been a good hitter every year but 2021, so there's a chance for a bounce back, or maybe pitchers have figured him out.

Dom is another one who could be gone, though he wasn't that bad a glove in the OF. I'll believe those guys are gone when I see it. I'm sure they'll have discussions, but I'm not sure the team gets better if they make an uninspired trade just to get rid of some of their young players.

It's Alonso to DH and Dom to 1B. Dom was a first round pick for us and Keith says that while Pete has improved a lot, Dom is the better glove at 1B. Pete can gets enough reps at 1B when Dom either rests, DH, or LF (if needed).

I really want Chris Taylor for LF/3B. He's a free agent this off-season. We also need a legitimate CF with an arm. Nimmo's arm is very mediocre.

I'd like to trade McCann too.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1865 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:12 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
It's Alonso to DH and Dom to 1B. Dom was a first round pick for us and Keith says that while Pete has improved a lot, Dom is the better glove at 1B. Pete can gets enough reps at 1B when Dom either rests, DH, or LF (if needed).

I really want Chris Taylor for LF/3B. He's a free agent this off-season. We also need a legitimate CF with an arm. Nimmo's arm is very mediocre.

Dom needs to hit better in 2022 than he did in 2021 for that to happen, but maybe.

McCann, like our beloved Robinson Cano, is a sunk cost. Nobody's going to take him unless the Mets eat 80% of his salary. I think the only move there is to let him keep the position warm for Alvarez is ready.

They'll spend some money this off-season, but assuming Thor gets the QO, which seems likely, they're in the 180-190 million range.

Taylor is an interesting guy to look at, but his versatility, I think a lot of teams will be in on him. They need a 3rd baseman, unless Cano can play there and I heard he's working on it. They need an outfielder to replace conforto, maybe a true CF as you said and I assume they'll make a bid for Stroman which gives them Thor, deGrom, Carrasco, Walker & (if resigned) Stroman as their main 5, but they need some serious depth behind that cause those pitchers could miss a lot of starts. They need to beef up the bullpen too. Lots to add, so I think it'll be a lot of mid-level salaries.

It's going to be an interesting off-season to watch. The Player/Owner negotiations might be interesting to follow as well.
Go NY Go NY Go
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1866 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:43 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Dom needs to hit better in 2022 than he did in 2021 for that to happen, but maybe.

McCann, like our beloved Robinson Cano, is a sunk cost. Nobody's going to take him unless the Mets eat 80% of his salary. I think the only move there is to let him keep the position warm for Alvarez is ready.

They'll spend some money this off-season, but assuming Thor gets the QO, which seems likely, they're in the 180-190 million range.

Taylor is an interesting guy to look at, but his versatility, I think a lot of teams will be in on him. They need a 3rd baseman, unless Cano can play there and I heard he's working on it. They need an outfielder to replace conforto, maybe a true CF as you said and I assume they'll make a bid for Stroman which gives them Thor, deGrom, Carrasco, Walker & (if resigned) Stroman as their main 5, but they need some serious depth behind that cause those pitchers could miss a lot of starts. They need to beef up the bullpen too. Lots to add, so I think it'll be a lot of mid-level salaries.

It's going to be an interesting off-season to watch. The Player/Owner negotiations might be interesting to follow as well.

Being able to eat mistakes - like the Yankees used to - is what I’m expecting from Steve Cohen regardless if luxury tax implications. I thought that was why Cohen bought the team from the penny-pinching Wilponzis.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1867 » by Luv those Knicks » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:19 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Being able to eat mistakes - like the Yankees used to - is what I’m expecting from Steve Cohen regardless if luxury tax implications. I thought that was why Cohen bought the team from the penny-pinching Wilponzis.

I think it's a wait and see what happens situation.

Cohen overpaid for Lindor cause he wanted to lock him up even though the free agent market was full of SS's this off-season.

The braintrust invested in teh wrong catcher and they felt Springer wasn't worth 150 million but Bauer was worth offering 40 million a year. It's like they got nothing right, but nobody gets everything right, and it was really just 4 big decisions. They nailed the Aaron Loup and Villar signings.

Even rich owners have to spend intelligently, and I don't think signing the best free agent catcher on trading assets for a catcher makes sense when we have our top prospect playing that position a year and a half away.

Zunino is on a 1 year deal and the Rays could sign and trade him so . . . maybe. They'd want a prospect in return and a catcher, either we eat all of McCann's salary or maybe we send then Nido, but it doesn't happen without a sweetener. JDD and Junior Santos . . . maybe, if they ask for someone like Ginn, Butto or Alex Ramirez, I'd give a hard no.

Who would you get? Steal Buster Posey from the Giants in a bidding war - LOL. I'm pretty sure he's QO'd so that would cost us the #14 pick - ouch. Don't want to go down that path.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/deep-dive-free-agent-catchers/ar-AAPZ5UJ?ocid=uxbndlbing

Whatever happens, I think they'll try to make lots of moves and it'll be an interesting off-season to watch.
Go NY Go NY Go
NYK Dolemite
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,202

Post#1868 » by NYK Dolemite » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:02 am

Anyone know what happened to the Mets forum (and NYG forum) on here? It’s like a nuclear wasteland there with no posts in like 5 years.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1869 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:45 am

NYK Dolemite wrote:Anyone know what happened to the Mets forum (and NYG forum) on here? It’s like a nuclear wasteland there with no posts in like 5 years.

It’s just easier to do it all right here. One-stop shopping.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1870 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat Nov 6, 2021 10:34 pm

NYFuturestars.com is a solid, but pretty quiet mets forum.

There's a lot of talk there, and in the media these days about the Mets inability to land a GM, so Sandy will be leading the team in teh GM meetings, which generally, not a lot happens, but a lot is discussed. Moves that happen during the winter meetings are often discussed ahead of time at the GM meetings.

Step one, I think, is to work out who's running the club, and right now, it looks like it's Sandy again, who I don't hate, but a lot of fans I know don't like him. Then it's up to that guy to make decisions on who to cut, who to rule 5, who to try to trade (trades take two parties, so a team can try to trade someone, but it's not a guarantee they will trade that person), so I like to say "try to trade" as it's rarely a lock.

And, ofcourse, who to sign in free agency.

2021, the successful free agent signings were Loup & Villar.

Unsuccessful ones, McCann & Lindor - the jury is still out, and after a bad 2 months he had a solid 4 months, but he's not worth 34 million a year for 10 years. I know he wasn't a free agent exactly, but they paid him like he was one.

I think there's a lot to watch as a Mets fan for the next few months, and a lot to watch regarding baseball in general and a very likely upcoming strike / lock out / ugly negotiation period between players and owners.
Go NY Go NY Go
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1871 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Nov 7, 2021 9:23 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:NYFuturestars.com is a solid, but pretty quiet mets forum.

There's a lot of talk there, and in the media these days about the Mets inability to land a GM, so Sandy will be leading the team in teh GM meetings, which generally, not a lot happens, but a lot is discussed. Moves that happen during the winter meetings are often discussed ahead of time at the GM meetings.

Step one, I think, is to work out who's running the club, and right now, it looks like it's Sandy again, who I don't hate, but a lot of fans I know don't like him. Then it's up to that guy to make decisions on who to cut, who to rule 5, who to try to trade (trades take two parties, so a team can try to trade someone, but it's not a guarantee they will trade that person), so I like to say "try to trade" as it's rarely a lock.

And, ofcourse, who to sign in free agency.

2021, the successful free agent signings were Loup & Villar.

Unsuccessful ones, McCann & Lindor - the jury is still out, and after a bad 2 months he had a solid 4 months, but he's not worth 34 million a year for 10 years. I know he wasn't a free agent exactly, but they paid him like he was one.

I think there's a lot to watch as a Mets fan for the next few months, and a lot to watch regarding baseball in general and a very likely upcoming strike / lock out / ugly negotiation period between players and owners.

One the one hand, there could be a roster overhaul given the present contractual status of a number of players and then, on the other hand, Sandy is a relatively conservative player. I would feel better about things if we, at least, had a manager in place which then could attract players/agents.

I think we need to bring Stroman back on a multi-year deal because he's going to be solid. He's athletic, he stays in shape, he keeps the ball down in the zone and gets ground balls. At worst, he's a great number 3 starter.

I think we bring Thor back on a one-year deal and hope for the best.

The big questions for me are:

1. The outfield? I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with an entirely new OF next season. Chris Taylor and Castolanos are high on my list for LF and RF, respectively. I really like Nimmo but more as a 4th OF. I still thing we need an upgrade in CF

2. Catcher? I don't like McCann, the player (he may be a great guy in which case I feel really bad about this) but I'm not a fan of McCann, the catcher. Maybe it's time to bring up blueNorange's boy Alvarez and give him the starting catcher's job. I'm not sure how deGrom is going to feel about that. Maybe Nido will catch Jake?

3. The Bullpen? The big question is whether we'll replace Diaz as our closer? Loup deserves a contract extension. We have Trevor May coming back. Familia's contract has expired. So, I can see where a new regime, if one were put in place, could make changes in this department ... like most MLB teams.

4. What do we do with JD Davis, Villar, Dom Smith, Jeff McNeil, and Javy Baez? If there's a DH in the NL this coming season (assuming there is an upcoming season), then we could keep Dom at 1B and move Pete (for all intents and purposes) to DH. We'd also have the flexibility of moving Dom to LF and Pete to 1B on occasion.

5. What do we do with Robinson Cano?
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1872 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Nov 7, 2021 9:30 am

Here is some breaking news:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Without knowing more of what's going on around the league and knowing that Conforto is represented by Boras, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Forto is going to decline the offer and become a FA while Noah accepts the one-year QO and use it to build his market value back up. It's going to be a rough year for Noah. The first year back from TJS usually is.
Free Palestine
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1873 » by Luv those Knicks » Tue Nov 9, 2021 3:15 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
One the one hand, there could be a roster overhaul given the present contractual status of a number of players and then, on the other hand, Sandy is a relatively conservative player. I would feel better about things if we, at least, had a manager in place which then could attract players/agents.

I think we need to bring Stroman back on a multi-year deal because he's going to be solid. He's athletic, he stays in shape, he keeps the ball down in the zone and gets ground balls. At worst, he's a great number 3 starter.

I think we bring Thor back on a one-year deal and hope for the best.

The big questions for me are:

1. The outfield? I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with an entirely new OF next season. Chris Taylor and Castolanos are high on my list for LF and RF, respectively. I really like Nimmo but more as a 4th OF. I still thing we need an upgrade in CF

2. Catcher? I don't like McCann, the player (he may be a great guy in which case I feel really bad about this) but I'm not a fan of McCann, the catcher. Maybe it's time to bring up blueNorange's boy Alvarez and give him the starting catcher's job. I'm not sure how deGrom is going to feel about that. Maybe Nido will catch Jake?

3. The Bullpen? The big question is whether we'll replace Diaz as our closer? Loup deserves a contract extension. We have Trevor May coming back. Familia's contract has expired. So, I can see where a new regime, if one were put in place, could make changes in this department ... like most MLB teams.

4. What do we do with JD Davis, Villar, Dom Smith, Jeff McNeil, and Javy Baez? If there's a DH in the NL this coming season (assuming there is an upcoming season), then we could keep Dom at 1B and move Pete (for all intents and purposes) to DH. We'd also have the flexibility of moving Dom to LF and Pete to 1B on occasion.

5. What do we do with Robinson Cano?

Stroman is a good player to try to keep but it could turn into a bidding war. We're not the only team that will be interested. On paper, the starting rotation for 2022 is deGrom, Thor, Walker, Carrasco with Peterson & MeGill as 40 man roster players with options. They should add one major league ready starting pitcher for sure.

Alvarez is NOT going to make the starting team. He finished the year in A+ and will probably start in AA next year. Mid season callup at the earliest, maybe a September callup. Time will tell. They need to see how he does against AA and AAA pitching first.

The Bullpen is kind of interesting because they do have it mostly full at least by numbers. Diaz won't be cheap as arbitration could get him 9-10 million, but he's probably worth a 1 year 9-10 million offer and possibly a QO next year . . . if he has a strong 2022. Diaz, May, Castro, Drew Smith, SRF (might still have an option) and Trevor Williams (spot starter/long man type, I think they find a spot for him), they will all likely be back (that's 6) and if resigned, Loup is 7. Luchessi is also, maybe someone worth giving another look at in 2022, but he's probably out of options, so it gets a little crowded and I could see them trading an SRF or Luchessi to create a bit more space on their 26 man roster. Similar situation for Dom or JD Davis, where a trade could be done to create space for a free agent signing or two.

I don't know what Szapucki's option situation is, he probably has some left. He was bad in 2021 but there's some upside. Gsellman could be back, but the roster is getting kind of full so I think he gets cut or traded. I may be overlooking one or two, but by that count, that leaves only one guaranteed roster spot for the bullpen, but with Diaz, Loup, May, hopefully a healthy Drew Smith and 1 free agent, that might not be bad.

Villar & Baez are free agents. I could see the Mets signing one of them, not both. Time will tell. Villar had a nice year in 2021 and could command a multi-year deal somewhere.

Smith isn't a good fit, unless the DH is added and the whole player/owner negotiation period could be ugly. There could be a strike, possibly a long one. McNeil is a lefty bat who can play several spots reasonably well, so I think he works on the roster at least as a utility/bench bat, though there may be questions that he didn't get along with Lindor. And Cano, also a lefty bat, reportedly learning to play 3rd base and he should be willing to accept a bench role at this point, so I could see them getting rid of one of Cano/McNeil, but not both. Lefty guys who can hit a little bit off the bench are useful.

Finally, Chris Taylor & Castellanos were both offered the QO, so I think the Mets should steer clear. They'd lose the #14 pick if they sign one of those guys. The #14 and their 2nd rounder if they sign both. That's too high a cost to pay. Maybe the new bargain agreement softens that blow but for now - I don't want either guy. Neither is worth the #14 pick on top of a contract.

Marte is a little older, but wouldn't come with a penalty. I'm also curious about the Japanese player who's probably coming over, Seiya Suzuki. Japanese bats can be risks, but he's a special tallent. Probably not Ichiro or Ohtani good, but still worth bidding on.

And yes, Sandy is conservative and old-school. Cohen is not. We don't know who they're going to hire to run the show, since Sandy seems to have one foot out the door - it's an unclear situation and their hiring process has been somewhat public and embarrassing so far.

That was probably a little long, but it will be an interesting off-season to watch I think, both for the Mets and for the very good chance that there's a strike soon that could extend into the Spring, possibly into the season.

- -

A final note. Keep an eye on who the Mets add to their roster prior to rule 5. Vientos & Mauricio are locks. Pitchers Butto, Oller, Josh Walker, and potential utility player Carlos Cortes and long shot, AA catcher Hayden Senger could all be rule 5 protection candidates.

I think they'll protect the pitchers, maybe risk the decent bat, but challenged defensively Carlos Cortes and I don't see them protecting Senger. I don't think he stands out enough defensively and there's questions on his hitting.

Butto, Oller, Walker, if on the 40, would add some pitching depth, which is never a bad thing. Eric Orze is close and could see majors next year too, but he doesn't need to be protected, so he'll be waiting for an oportunity.

None of these players look like studs, but there is a bit of depth knocking on the door. Vientos should see some MLB action in 2022 as well. Looks to have a high homer/high strikeout profile which doesn't always work, but it can work.

Baty (AA) is a bit further away and not being on the 40 man roster yet, there's no reason to rush him and they should call him up when he's ready or if a big hole appears at 3rd base. A September callup seems perfect for him. Maurico probably has to wait for 2023 for his first taste of majors. He needs to start hitting minor league pitching a bit better first anyway, so September callups will probably be Baty and a pitcher . . . Sept 2022. But I'm probably getting ahead of myself.

Potential stud pitcher Matt Allen will miss a chunk of, possibly most or all of 2022, so he's a wait and see. There's some help coming from the system, but not a lot of help.
Go NY Go NY Go
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1874 » by Luv those Knicks » Tue Nov 9, 2021 9:29 pm

Baseball America's chat on the Mets top 10. Thought it was a fun read.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/new-york-mets-2022-top-10-mlb-prospects-chat/
Go NY Go NY Go
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1875 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Nov 9, 2021 10:13 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:Baseball America's chat on the Mets top 10. Thought it was a fun read.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/new-york-mets-2022-top-10-mlb-prospects-chat/

Great post above
Free Palestine
RealGM
And1: 39,217

Post#1876 » by 2010 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:05 pm

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1877 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:39 pm

Free Palestine
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,055

Post#1878 » by Capn'O » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:04 am

Letting the baseball threads go on the main board until spring XOXO
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1879 » by Luv those Knicks » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:04 pm

Looks like Eppler is going to be GM. Still need a manager.

Feelings from Angels fans on Eppler are generally mixed to negative, but he also had some trouble with a meddlesome owner (and he might have that problem here too), but I think Eppler is both experienced and hasn't done anything to make me think he's incompetent, though he didn't win in LAA, he was unlucky sometimes too I think.

I don't hate this choice and they needed to get someone the position before the winter meetings and with free agency underway.

oh, and Thor to the Angels. Mets get another draft pick in 2022, after (or maybe it's before) the competitive balance b picks, somewhere in the early 70s I think.
Go NY Go NY Go
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,090

Post#1880 » by blueNorange » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:48 am

just shows you can't trust the media with an agenda, they were too busy reporting the guys that turned down the mets offer that they didn't realize eppler/the mets had many convo's before being hired.

imo i think executives turn down job offers all the time, it's just that lolmets is a thing and they need the juice.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.

Return to New York Knicks