ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2020 Mets Thread, p. 50

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,968

Re: Official 2020 Mets Thread, p. 50 

Post#1921 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:14 am

mpharris36 wrote:he did but a lot of pitchers got hurt or had fatigue last year because the 2020 COVID season they pitched so few innings. So anyone pitching over +100 innings from a prior year especially an older pitcher might be a lot on the arm.

He still posted his best ERA and WHIP of his career last year so he hasn't lost it just fatigue.

Even if the mets have to manage the fatigue when he starts he still is one of the best pitchers in the game. And what he brings to the team in terms of being an intense gamer on and off the field should be great for a clubhouse that was a train wreck last year. Spent more time fighting with media and fans then fighting and scratching for wins last year.

I'm going to look at it like when we signed Pedro, I'm just going to enjoy it while I can. Still waiting to see what direction we go for with our coach, but Cohen is spending to fill some holes.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,619

Post#1922 » by mpharris36 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:21 am

Manhattan Project wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:he did but a lot of pitchers got hurt or had fatigue last year because the 2020 COVID season they pitched so few innings. So anyone pitching over +100 innings from a prior year especially an older pitcher might be a lot on the arm.

He still posted his best ERA and WHIP of his career last year so he hasn't lost it just fatigue.

Even if the mets have to manage the fatigue when he starts he still is one of the best pitchers in the game. And what he brings to the team in terms of being an intense gamer on and off the field should be great for a clubhouse that was a train wreck last year. Spent more time fighting with media and fans then fighting and scratching for wins last year.

I'm going to look at it like when we signed Pedro, I'm just going to enjoy it while I can. Still waiting to see what direction we go for with our coach, but Cohen is spending to fill some holes.

yes he's spending to supplement the roster so that in the meantime the mets can build up there farm system. So eventually the mets can suppliment or replace some of these older guys they are signing now with younger guys in 2-3 years.

It is sort of like the pedro signing where we don't know how long its going to last and it was kinda a surprise big name signing that brought some credibility back to the team.

The difference I see is pedro was coming off his worst season of his career with a near 4 ERA and career high in WHIP before signing. Scherzer is nearly the opposite. Pedro's stuff was clearly diminishing. Scherzer is a like a cyborg in terms of he is still as nasty as he was 7-8 year ago.

He was def an all or nothing situation because if they missed out on Scherzer would have been tough to pivot to anyone else since the Mets seem to want no part of Stroman.

If the Mets can just get to the post season and Scherzer and DeGrom are healthy they will be a tough out. I still think the bullpen is not that strong and need at least one more trust worthy starter.

I'm not sure what they plan on doing with Baez, sounds like they are entertaining the idea of bringing him back but he wants to get paid elite SS money and potentially play SS and we can't offer that. But he is best friends with Lindor and maybe that plus Cohen spending and committing to win will get him to come back.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
RealGM
And1: 39,217

Post#1923 » by 2010 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:23 am

Any word on Baez? I’m reading conflicting reports on Twitter. Someone clarify.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,105

Post#1924 » by blueNorange » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:38 am

2010 wrote:Any word on Baez? I’m reading conflicting reports on Twitter. Someone clarify.

tigers signed him, no word on the money but it's 6 years.

it sucks but it is what it is, now either pivot by signing rodon and suzuki or trade for matt chapman and lock up a generational defensive 3b in his prime.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
RealGM
And1: 39,217

Post#1925 » by 2010 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:39 pm

blueNorange wrote:
2010 wrote:Any word on Baez? I’m reading conflicting reports on Twitter. Someone clarify.

it sucks but it is what it is, now either pivot by signing rodon and suzuki or trade for matt chapman and lock up a generational defensive 3b in his prime.

I am disappoint.

I wanted him back to get Lindor in his comfort zone. Plus I like El Mago’s mental toughness. We need more players with some personality in that clubhouse.

Kinda takes a bit of the zeal off the feel good vibes from yesterday.

Fk-A-McNeil, Fk-A-Cano, Fk-A-Guillorme…

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#1926 » by blueNorange » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:12 pm

2010 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:

I am disappoint.

I wanted him back to get Lindor in his comfort zone. Plus I like El Mago’s mental toughness. We need more players with some personality in that clubhouse.

Kinda takes a bit of the zeal off the feel good vibes from yesterday.

Fk-A-McNeil, Fk-A-Cano, Fk-A-Guillorme…

1. lindor doesn't need baez to be comfortable, trust me.
2. mets weren't deciding on baez based off 50 games with the mets, his entire body of work shows that he's not someone that'll be good when he ages.
3. there was a report on all the free agent shortstops and the advanced metrics showed alarming signs for baez.

it sucks though because he was a different breed, and one that'd flourish in ny -- but i guess he'll enjoy the bright lights and bustling city of detroit.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#1927 » by blueNorange » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:34 pm

baseball america top 100

#13 - Francisco Alvarez
Tools: Hit: 60 | Power: 60 | Run: 30 | Fielding: 50 | Arm: 55
Skinny: Alvarez made a loud full-season debut with 24 home runs and a .941 OPS across both Class A levels as a 19-year-old. His fast swing and immense strength give him a chance to be an offensive force, while his defense is improving enough to keep him behind the plate.

#39 - Brett Baty
Tools: Hit: 60 | Power: 55 | Run: 50 | Fielding: 50 | Arm: 60
Skinny: Baty was part of a threesome of terrific prospects at the top of the Mets system. He began to dabble a little bit in the outfield but showed hittability and power while he climbed to Double-A as a 21-year-old.

#92 - Ronny Mauricio
Tools: Hit: 40 | Power: 60 | Run: 40 | Fielding: 55 | Arm: 60
Skinny: A sweet-swinging switch-hitter with plus raw power, Mauricio needs to become a more selective hitter. When he’s locked in and swinging at good pitches, he tantalizes with his offensive and physical upside.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#1928 » by blueNorange » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:53 pm

keith law top 100

8. Francisco Alvarez, C, New York Mets
Bats: Right | Throws: Right

Previous ranking: No. 19

Alvarez was so good in Low-A St. Lucie to start the year that the Mets bumped him up to High A after just 15 games, even though he was just 19. He then hit .247/.351/.538 as the youngest regular anywhere in High A last year, making him one of the most productive hitters at that level, with a strikeout rate right around the median. Alvarez’s swing is easy and quick — his hand acceleration is great, and he’s very balanced from when he starts moving his hands through contact. And he’s a catcher with a plus arm and at least adequate/fringy receiving already, but enough agility to improve back there with more reps. He has 20-plus homer power already, with 30-plus in his near-term outlook, and he’s going to hit for higher averages once he’s no longer the youngest player at his level. The only knock on Alvarez’s upside is that he has a more mature body than some of the other catching prospects of his age around the game, so he may not have much more power coming to him, but the response is that he has plus game power already, and if this is all there ever is, so what? He could be as mobile as a statue and still be an above-average regular for a catcher with — dare I say it — a Mike Piazza-like upside if his bat keeps improving.

40. Ronny Mauricio, SS, New York Mets
Bats: Both | Throws: Right

Previous ranking: No. 32

Mauricio signed with the Mets for $2.1 million back in 2017, and had a fairly quiet full-season debut in Low A in 2019, hitting .268/.307/.357 with just four home runs. He came back from the pandemic stronger, and it showed in his production, as he hit 20 homers in 453 plate appearances last year, mostly in High A. And I think that’s just the beginning for his power potential. A true switch-hitter, Mauricio has loose, quick wrists, and generates surprising power from his wiry frame because of his bat speed and the strength he already has in his forearms. I don’t think he’s going to stay at shortstop; for one thing, his defense there is too erratic, and for another, he’s got a lot of room to add muscle and has already grown quite a bit in height and weight since he signed. He reminds me a lot of a young Alfonso Soriano, who never got that big but hit 30-plus homers seven times in the majors and 412 in his career, and who did move off shortstop even when he was still an above-average runner. The Mets would probably be thrilled with that outcome.

41. Brett Baty, 3B, New York Mets
Bats: Left | Throws: Right
Drafted: No. 12 in 2019

Previous ranking: Just missed

Baty was a controversial first-round pick from a data perspective because he was 19 1/2 on draft day, exceptionally old for a high-school hitter. He could flat-out hit, though, and had huge power from his 6-3 frame, so the Mets took him with the 12th pick. Baty mashed last year in High A at 21, and continued to hit in Double A and the Arizona Fall League (where everyone hit, though — you actually hit .285 there last year), with less power than expected but strong walk and contact rates. He hit the ball on the ground too often last year, but that’s one of the easiest flaws for player development staffs to fix. And Baty hits the ball hard enough that once the Mets get him lifting the ball a little more often, he’s going to end up with 25-plus homers; Vlad Guerrero Jr. used to hit the ball on the ground too often, too. Baty has worked hard to maintain his conditioning, slimming down a little since high school, when it looked like he’d end up too big to play anywhere but first. At this point, it’s no worse than even money that he’ll stay at third for the near future, unless he just gets pushed off by a plus defender down the line. He has the core ingredients for an impact bat who hits for average, gets on base, and has doubles and home run power, and any concerns about his age are over.

71. Mark Vientos, 3B, New York Mets
Drafted: No. 59 in 2017

Previous ranking: Unranked

Vientos returns to the top 100 after a two-year absence after a breakout year in Double A, hitting .281/.346/.580 for Binghamton before hitting three homers in 11 games to finish the year in Triple A. He did strike out more than you’d like, 29 percent of the time, but his pitch recognition and strike zone awareness are better than his strikeout and walk rates imply, as the Mets have worked on getting him to be more selective in the zone and focus on pitches where he can do the most damage. His exit velocities have consistently been among the best in the Mets’ system, and he projects to be a 30-35 homer guy in the next few years. Even though he’s transformed his body since he was an amateur, he may not stay at third base, and first base would put a big dent in his prospect value, so the Mets have started trying him a little bit in left field; the early returns weren’t great, but if he can be a 45 defender there, his bat will carry him. If he manages to hold on at third, he could be a four-win player.

100. Alex Ramirez, OF, New York Mets

Previous ranking: Unranked

Ramirez signed for $2.05 million in July of 2019, and made his pro debut in 2021 as one of only two 18-year-olds in the Low-A Southeast League. He was slightly overmatched at the plate, but showed incredible defensive skills in centerfield with great reads and plus speed, and flashed what should be grade 60 or even 70 power when he fills out. He’s 6-3 and still close to the 168 pounds he was when he first signed, although he’s likely to put on 25-30 pounds of muscle as he fills out. It’ll come down to control of the strike zone, as with so many young hitters; if he shows he can do it enough to get to the power, he’ll be a plus-plus defender in centerfield who hits 25-30 homers a year.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,919

Post#1929 » by SelbyCobra » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:38 pm

Figure this is the best place to put this, but Matt Harvey is currently testifying in the Tyler Skaggs death trial. He was given immunity so he's answering everything straight up. The questioning is mostly about his time with the Angels, but he confirms what fans in NY long suspected about him being coked out while on the Mets. TJ Quinn is live tweeting the questioning.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,679

Post#1930 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:51 pm

The Dark Night snorting coke and getting his dick wet was more important than a successful baseball career.

Cocaine’s a helluva drug
Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks