ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2020 Mets Thread, p. 50

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,071

Re: Official 2019 Mets Thread, II, p. 337 

Post#901 » by Jeffrey » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:06 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:We gotta bring up the usual suspects that we want:

Bobby Valentine
Wally Backman

We? I don't and never have wanted either.

I was all about Girardi but we blew that one and was good with Showalter who's still out there and just interviewed with the Astros the other day but we never brought him in for a interview before we hired Beltran so pretty sure they don't want him cause Brodie needs a puppet. Brodie wants say in stuff that he doesn't need any say with so he wants someone new and no veteran managers. I'm guessing it will be L.Rojas, H.Meulins, T.Bogar and have been hearing Brewers bench coach Pat Murphy as well.

I think Brodie wants someone that can step in for one year and then he can hire his old college roommate AJ Hinch when his suspension is over but that's just me.

I agree. I think Brodie wants a puppet to make the calls from upstairs during the game. Again, this team is a contender this year and needs a manager that will be consistent with the lineup and juggle the bullpen.
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#902 » by newyorker4ever » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:41 am

Read on Twitter
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,694

Post#903 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:00 am

It's going to be Eduardo Perez or Super Joe McEwing. I'm preferential to Super Joe only because he played for the Mets and I read that it's his "dream job."
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#904 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:21 pm

Okay. Never mind. It looks like we're going with either Baker or Showalter, the veteran managers. Makes sense. There's not a lot of time to throw a rookie manager into the fire especially under these set of circumstances. Dusty is cool and chill and knows how to manage. He could be the right choice to help smooth things over. Buck is a little more intense but would still be a great choice.

It's really a shame that Carlos got caught up in this.

EDIT: :lol: Now I'm reading that Baker is interviewing for the Astros job on Monday and that the Mets may want someone "more analytics oriented," i.e. someone that BVW can control. Do the Mets know what they're doing? Seriously.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/latest-on-mets-manager-candidate-dusty-baker-reportedly-interviewing-with-astros-on-monday/312470854
Free Palestine
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#905 » by reub » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:32 pm

I come back from a cruise and Beltran is out?

Well, at least he left undefeated. Smh.
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#906 » by Jeffrey » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:51 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Okay. Never mind. It looks like we're going with either Baker or Showalter, the veteran managers. Makes sense. There's not a lot of time to throw a rookie manager into the fire especially under these set of circumstances. Dusty is cool and chill and knows how to manage. He could be the right choice to help smooth things over. Buck is a little more intense but would still be a great choice.

EDIT: :lol: Now I'm reading that Baker is interviewing for the Astros job on Monday and that the Mets may want someone "more analytics oriented," i.e. someone that BVW can control. Do the Mets know what they're doing? Seriously.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/latest-on-mets-manager-candidate-dusty-baker-reportedly-interviewing-with-astros-on-monday/312470854

I would like Joe McEwing but I'm wondering if he needs to keep the coaches that Beltran built. This situation is a mess
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#907 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:39 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Okay. Never mind. It looks like we're going with either Baker or Showalter, the veteran managers. Makes sense. There's not a lot of time to throw a rookie manager into the fire especially under these set of circumstances. Dusty is cool and chill and knows how to manage. He could be the right choice to help smooth things over. Buck is a little more intense but would still be a great choice.

I would like Joe McEwing but I'm wondering if he needs to keep the coaches that Beltran built. This situation is a mess

Yep. The easiest move would simply be to move Hensley Muellens from bench coach to manager and keep the staff as is. Maybe bring Terry in to be Mullens's bench coach? I guess it depends on what the prospective manager thinks about the existing staff. Chili Davis is a respected hitting coach and everyone wanted Heffner as their pitching coach. I dunno.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#908 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:27 pm

Now the Red Sox are looking to poach Hensley Muellens from us and make him their new manager. Great. Thanks Manfred.
Free Palestine
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#909 » by Jeffrey » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:15 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Now the Red Sox are looking to poach Hensley Muellens from us and make him their new manager. Great. Thanks Manfred.

Can't make this sh.it up.

Just give a vet coach and move on. Season didn't even start yet and we're already at LOLMETS
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#910 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:00 am

Jeffrey wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Now the Red Sox are looking to poach Hensley Muellens from us and make him their new manager. Great. Thanks Manfred.

Can't make this sh.it up.

Just give a vet coach and move on. Season didn't even start yet and we're already at LOLMETS

I guess there'd be the last amount of disturbance if we just gave it to Muellens. It's why we hired him as a bench coach, right?
Free Palestine
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#911 » by reub » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:01 pm

It looks like Rojas.

Inexpensive, untested and easy to control.
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#912 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:20 pm

reub wrote:It looks like Rojas.

He seems like a quality young guy. Pedigree baseball dude. But I really wish we would’ve went with a more proven, battle tested guy who could get out in front of a few of the things coming our way. But I’m optimistic.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,116

Post#913 » by blueNorange » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:40 pm

also has 8 years managing the mets farm system, was promoted to the staff last year because the rays wanted him, and knows a lot of these players on the current team from their time in the minors.

he managed alonso in 2017 and 2018.

rojas was a hot up and coming future manager.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,968

Post#914 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:46 pm

In this day and age I don't know what value managers really bring aside from letting the clubhouse implode. It's nice to see that he has a relationship with Alonso and McNeil, but yeah I think the days of managers winning or losing games is becoming outdated. Analytics dictate everything, the shifts, when to go to the bullpen.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#915 » by reub » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:47 am

I know a lot of these players too.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#916 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:53 am

Manhattan Project wrote:In this day and age I don't know what value managers really bring aside from letting the clubhouse implode. It's nice to see that he has a relationship with Alonso and McNeil, but yeah I think the days of managers winning or losing games is becoming outdated. Analytics dictate everything, the shifts, when to go to the bullpen.

Did you already forget what it like under Clueless Calloway? :lol: Maybe the can't help that much but, damn, they can sure mess up shyt.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#917 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:53 am

blueNorange wrote:

also has 8 years managing the mets farm system, was promoted to the staff last year because the rays wanted him, and knows a lot of these players on the current team from their time in the minors.

he managed alonso in 2017 and 2018.

rojas was a hot up and coming future manager.

He got good baseball genes. The Alou Family. I love The Alou Family. :D
Free Palestine
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#918 » by Jeffrey » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:04 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:In this day and age I don't know what value managers really bring aside from letting the clubhouse implode. It's nice to see that he has a relationship with Alonso and McNeil, but yeah I think the days of managers winning or losing games is becoming outdated. Analytics dictate everything, the shifts, when to go to the bullpen.

Did you already forget what it like under Clueless Calloway? :lol: Maybe the can't help that much but, damn, they can sure mess up shyt.

I was excited when Calloway wanted to try something new like bringing the closer during a tough spot rather than just the ninth inning. I don't think he even attempted that during his tenure here.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#919 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:49 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

I was excited when Calloway wanted to try something new like bringing the closer during a tough spot rather than just the ninth inning. I don't think he even attempted that during his tenure here.

I remember that. Nope he did not.

I remember a game where we were down two runs in the 9th inning with two pinch hitters due up, one for our weak hitting catcher (I think it was Rivera) and the other for the pitcher. The best two PHs that we’re available were Devin Meseroca and I believe Jeff McNeil (when he was only hitting singles and walking back then).

So, you’re down two runs, you have a table setter in McNeill and a thumper in Meseroca, so logically you’d want to PH McNeill first and hope he can get on base for Devin, right? But not our genius manager. He hits Meseroca first who proceeds to hit one out. Now we’re down 1 run with McNeill coming up but made out and that was it. That was one of the few times I can remember actually screaming at the damn radio.
Free Palestine
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,968

Post#920 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:50 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

It's the age old debate now a days, was that Mickey's call or what the papers decide? The fact that literally everyone in our bullpen couldn't get anyone out didn't help. At the end of the day with all the nonsense that happened to the Mets, at least the team didn't absolutely implode.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones

Return to New York Knicks