ImageImageImageImageImage

Offseason Thread - Durant officially ruptures Achilles...

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Would you MAX out KD?

Yes
52%
No
38%
STFU & GTFO
10%

Total votes: 112

SARGO127
General Manager
And1: 3,077

Re: Offseason Thread - Durant officially ruptures Achilles... 

Post#21 » by SARGO127 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:26 am

Add a poll for dlo
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,924

Post#22 » by god shammgod » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:26 am

DaGawd wrote:New thread title: "Re: Something's gonna happen, but will you like it? Answer: Nah"

well damn. this has been so bad i'm gonna have to retire that phrase.
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Post#23 » by GEOLINK » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:27 am

Mills “What’s Plan C?”
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,920

Post#24 » by F N 11 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:27 am

I read somewhere that we have to spend the cap is that true? So if we strike out we would most likely overpay for 1 year deals just go spend right?
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,591

Post#25 » by mpharris36 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:28 am

3toheadmelo wrote:This gonna be me next year when DSJ stunting on Kyrie and DLo next year.

thats DSJ's face when he pulls up to Mcdonalds drive thru
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,407

Post#26 » by robillionaire » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:28 am

No Dlo. He would be just good enough to ruin the tank.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#27 » by GEOLINK » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:28 am

F N 11 wrote:I read somewhere that we have to spend the cap is that true? So if we strike out we would most likely overpay for 1 year deals just go spend right?

Super Mario time.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,920

Post#28 » by F N 11 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:29 am

DLo not a franchise changer. Leave it alone. He’s better than Timmy but it will be a Timmy type deal.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
knicks9784
Starter
And1: 147

Post#29 » by knicks9784 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:29 am

aq_ua wrote:Let’s assume all NBA GMs act rationally and choose to hedge their bets on Durant. Is there any reason why we shouldn’t offer an incentive heavy contract or even just a 2 year contract with a 3rd year team option? I’m still in the camp of wanting to gamble on the health of the best player in the NBA.

why would durant want that? here's a guy who now has to come back from the worst injury he's ever dealt with and then he's gonna sign up to resurrect an impatient franchise that doesn't care if he was hurt. he made them wait a year and got paid 38 million for it. the expectation is a championship immediately and he's the lead dog with nowhere near the support he had in gs and its post achilles surgery. that type of task can really damage his legacy if he fails. a legacy that he very much cares about. or he can stay in gs and is now beloved because of his attempt to play through serious injury and sacrifice for the team and worst case scenario he becomes the 2nd 3rd option on a sure fire winner/playoff team for the rest of his career. so again i'll ask, why would durant still want to add resurrecting the knicks to his to do list after rehabbing a devastating injury.
Anders wrote:The sweetest revenge is living well! Darius Rucker said it, so you know its real!
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#30 » by Oscirus » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:29 am

mudiay, Mario, Porzingis, we sign D lo we'd be 2 away
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
ADeP7
Starter
And1: 2,449

Post#31 » by ADeP7 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:31 am

Russell isn’t close to his ceiling yet though. He’s still got more to improve on and I think ultimately he can get there. He can be a top 10 pg in the nba with ease.

Getting him at 23 is fantastic. And if he’s your only big signing you still have big flexibility moving forward with players and picks

Pg - D’lo / DsJ / frank
Sg- Barrett / trier
Sf- Knox / Dotson
Pf- ?
C- Mitch
Extremely young team

Nyk 2020 pick
Nyk 21 and Mavs 21 pick
knicks9784
Starter
And1: 147

Post#32 » by knicks9784 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:32 am

ADeP7 wrote:Russell isn’t close to his ceiling yet though. He’s still got more to improve on and I think ultimately he can get there. He can be a top 10 pg in the nba with ease.

Getting him at 23 is fantastic. And if he’s your only big signing you still have big flexibility moving forward with players and picks

Pg - D’lo / DsJ / frank
Sg- Barrett / trier
Sf- Knox / Dotson
Pf- ?
C- Mitch
Extremely young team

Nyk 2020 pick
Nyk 21 and Mavs 21 pick

add julius randle and i got a semi chub
Anders wrote:The sweetest revenge is living well! Darius Rucker said it, so you know its real!
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#33 » by GEOLINK » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:32 am

When D’Lo got caught with weed at the airport I knew he was destined to be a Knick.
Context
RealGM
And1: 12,305

Post#34 » by Context » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:32 am

aq_ua wrote:Let’s assume all NBA GMs act rationally and choose to hedge their bets on Durant. Is there any reason why we shouldn’t offer an incentive heavy contract or even just a 2 year contract with a 3rd year team option? I’m still in the camp of wanting to gamble on the health of the best player in the NBA.

when you're Kevin Durant- there will be teams in line waiting to give you a fully guaranteed contract -that's why Aqua...
LaMelo/Green
Barnes/Jaden
Herbert/Kyle
Jackson/Portis
Lopez/Duren
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,332

Post#35 » by drekwins » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:34 am

BowlRips wrote:Like I said - Knicks are adamant they not giving max money to guys that don’t deserve it. They are okay with going the home grown route. The max offer is there for KD. They haven’t received assurances but they are confident. They are resigned to the fact that Kyrie is going to Brooklyn.
We are in good hands. Sucks we all got excited for this off season and it may not play out as we liked. But atleast we are not going to do anything stupid

Listen, I wanted the dream too. I really did. But, let's be logical. How is DLO not deserving? He's a 22 year old all-star that just led the Nets to the playoffs. Do you know how much praise he (and us) will get if he gets the Knicks to the playoffs? Honestly, it puts the pressure back on Kyrie and the Nets to outperform the Knicks every year. Meanwhile, DLo only takes up 25% of the cap so we maintain lots of flexibility. I think it's very low risk and a good return.

If he improves only slightly, he's elite:

Shooting Splits
DLO - FG% 43.4%, 3PT 36.9%
Lillard - FG 44.4%, 3PT 36.9%
Lowry - FG% 41.1%, 3PT 34.7%
CP3 - FG 41.9%, 3PT 35.8%
Harden - FG 44.2%, 3PT 36.8%
Conley - FG% 43.8%, 3PT 36.4%
Kemba - FG% 43.4%, 3PT 35.6%
Bledsoe - FG% 48.4%, 3PT 32.9%
Fox - FG% 45.8%, 3PT 37.1%
Jrue - FG% 47.2%, 3PT 32.5%
DSJ (lol) - FG% - 41.3%, 3PT 28.9%

Not worth comparing - Simmons and Russ

On a totally different level than everyone else - Curry and Kyrie

Rookies
Doncic - FG% 42.7%, 3PT 32.7%
Trae - FG% 41.8%, 3PT 32.4%
The KnicksFix
Sixth Man
And1: 1,553

Post#36 » by The KnicksFix » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:34 am

GEOLINK wrote:
F N 11 wrote:I read somewhere that we have to spend the cap is that true? So if we strike out we would most likely overpay for 1 year deals just go spend right?

Super Mario time.

max mario
Context
RealGM
And1: 12,305

Post#37 » by Context » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:35 am

Also...what would be the purpose to signing Dlo?
LaMelo/Green
Barnes/Jaden
Herbert/Kyle
Jackson/Portis
Lopez/Duren
BallSacBounce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,411

Post#38 » by BallSacBounce » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:35 am

ADeP7 wrote:Russell isn’t close to his ceiling yet though. He’s still got more to improve on and I think ultimately he can get there. He can be a top 10 pg in the nba with ease.

Pg - D’lo / DsJ / frank
Sg- Barrett / trier
Sf- Knox / Dotson
Pf- ?
C- Mitch
Extremely young team

Nyk 2020 pick
Nyk 21 and Mavs 21 pick

This, plus who knows maybe Durant still comes it's either that or he stays in GS no elite player is coming to join him and watch him rehab a year.

We could get a hybrid mix of best worlds here. Still suck next year and get another high pick. Have some really nice young talent and then viola, Durant comes back.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#39 » by GEOLINK » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:39 am

If no one signs here in the summer

Dolan must sell the team.
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,206

Post#40 » by aq_ua » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:39 am

knicks9784 wrote:

why would durant want that? here's a guy who now has to come back from the worst injury he's ever dealt with and then he's gonna sign up to resurrect an impatient franchise that doesn't care if he was hurt. he made them wait a year and got paid 38 million for it. the expectation is a championship immediately and he's the lead dog with nowhere near the support he had in gs and its post achilles surgery. that type of task can really damage his legacy if he fails. a legacy that he very much cares about. or he can stay in gs and is now beloved because of his attempt to play through serious injury and sacrifice for the team and worst case scenario he becomes the 2nd 3rd option on a sure fire winner/playoff team for the rest of his career. so again i'll ask, why would durant still want to add resurrecting the knicks to his to do list after rehabbing a devastating injury.

Because it’s still more guaranteed money than opting in on his existing contract and, for whatever reason, he had a desire to come to NY in the first place before the injury. The presumption is that all teams would choose to hedge so our offer would not be out of line from market expectations.

To the underlying question of what would happen if GS offered him an unconditional max contract to stay even post injury? Yeah, putting aside the economics, the emotional dynamic has probably changed and I doubt we would have a meaningful chance of signing him. However, I’m not convinced GS would do that given all their other expensive free agents.

Durant and his team have an awful lot to process in a relatively short amount of time and with limited information as to his long term health outlook, so all previous information about Durant’s mindset is out the window. If he gets any kind of cold shoulder from GS, that might just be enough motivation for him to run to anyone who shows meaningful affection, even with conditions attached. At least, that’s my working theory.

Return to New York Knicks