ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Welcome to the Knicks... The Maple Mamba!!

Moderators: GONYK, j4remi, NoLayupRule, Jeff Van Gully, King of Canada, Thugger HBC, Capn'O, mrpoetryNmotion, mpharris36, Deeeez Knicks, K-DOT

User avatar
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 57,080
And1: 24,551
Joined: Jun 27, 2003
Location: Frankie N Baby
   

Re: Official Welcome to the Knicks... The Maple Mamba!! 

Post#1041 » by GONYK » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:08 pm

bearadonisdna wrote:
HerSports85 wrote:
AllanHoustonFan wrote:looks like RJ signed with Puma...yuck!


Definitely seen him as a Nike guy, but it’s the jay z influence. They’re creating a nice lil roster - Ayton, Bagley, Porter Jr, Knox, RJ.


Also it's nice homage to Clyde who also is a brand ambassador. So I get it and like it.
Nike is popular but there's a type of weird hierarchy there.
Players won't get recognized until the lead dogs do.
My biggest example is of Steph curry who couldn't get an all star nod until going to a different brand.


I think Steph staying healthy had more to do with becoming an AS than which shoe company he was signed with.
User avatar
bearadonisdna
RealGM
Posts: 12,094
And1: 1,959
Joined: Jul 07, 2012

Re: Official Welcome to the Knicks... The Maple Mamba!! 

Post#1042 » by bearadonisdna » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:17 pm

GONYK wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:
HerSports85 wrote:
Definitely seen him as a Nike guy, but it’s the jay z influence. They’re creating a nice lil roster - Ayton, Bagley, Porter Jr, Knox, RJ.


Also it's nice homage to Clyde who also is a brand ambassador. So I get it and like it.
Nike is popular but there's a type of weird hierarchy there.
Players won't get recognized until the lead dogs do.
My biggest example is of Steph curry who couldn't get an all star nod until going to a different brand.


I think Steph staying healthy had more to do with becoming an AS than which shoe company he was signed with.


He was healthy at the end of 2013 season, which was the season he went to under armour and then became an all star.

The 2012-13 West team had Tony Parker 20 ppg, zbo 15 ppg, David Lee 18 ppg. David Lee was on his own team so that's weird enough by itself.

Don't know, I feel like with Nike you can't ever transcend their 'plan. Yeah they want you to be successful, but not LeBron successful. You gotta wait in line.
User avatar
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 57,080
And1: 24,551
Joined: Jun 27, 2003
Location: Frankie N Baby
   

Re: Official Welcome to the Knicks... The Maple Mamba!! 

Post#1043 » by GONYK » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:26 pm

bearadonisdna wrote:
GONYK wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:
Also it's nice homage to Clyde who also is a brand ambassador. So I get it and like it.
Nike is popular but there's a type of weird hierarchy there.
Players won't get recognized until the lead dogs do.
My biggest example is of Steph curry who couldn't get an all star nod until going to a different brand.


I think Steph staying healthy had more to do with becoming an AS than which shoe company he was signed with.


He was healthy at the end of 2013 season, which was the season he went to under armour and then became an all star.

The 2012-13 West team had Tony Parker 20 ppg, zbo 15 ppg, David Lee 18 ppg. David Lee was on his own team so that's weird enough by itself.

Don't know, I feel like with Nike you can't ever transcend their 'plan. Yeah they want you to be successful, but not LeBron successful. You gotta wait in line.


Nike doesn't determine the All-Star team though, fans and coaches do...unless I am misunderstanding you.
User avatar
bearadonisdna
RealGM
Posts: 12,094
And1: 1,959
Joined: Jul 07, 2012

Re: Official Welcome to the Knicks... The Maple Mamba!! 

Post#1044 » by bearadonisdna » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:45 pm

GONYK wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:
GONYK wrote:
I think Steph staying healthy had more to do with becoming an AS than which shoe company he was signed with.


He was healthy at the end of 2013 season, which was the season he went to under armour and then became an all star.

The 2012-13 West team had Tony Parker 20 ppg, zbo 15 ppg, David Lee 18 ppg. David Lee was on his own team so that's weird enough by itself.

Don't know, I feel like with Nike you can't ever transcend their 'plan. Yeah they want you to be successful, but not LeBron successful. You gotta wait in line.


Nike doesn't determine the All-Star team
though, fans and coaches do...unless I am misunderstanding you.


Granted but their influence on the league can sway perception , sometimes negatively where you don't get credit.

With Nike he was a cog in the machine, with under armour he is the machine.
You're right and I'm not gonna say apparel affiliation correlate to league rewards but guys have flourished upon leaving them, namely curry and harden.

Yeah I guess it's conjecture but there can be some negatives being a part of the machine. If your an elite player i don't Think you want the implied boundaries.
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 53,726
And1: 22,176
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Official Welcome to the Knicks... The Maple Mamba!! 

Post#1045 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:52 pm

If Clyde has influence over RJ, maybe there's still hope.
Image
User avatar
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
Posts: 44,513
And1: 9,114
Joined: Jul 29, 2005
Location: nyc

Re: Official Welcome to the Knicks... The Maple Mamba!! 

Post#1046 » by blueNorange » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:08 pm

GONYK wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:
GONYK wrote:
I think Steph staying healthy had more to do with becoming an AS than which shoe company he was signed with.


He was healthy at the end of 2013 season, which was the season he went to under armour and then became an all star.

The 2012-13 West team had Tony Parker 20 ppg, zbo 15 ppg, David Lee 18 ppg. David Lee was on his own team so that's weird enough by itself.

Don't know, I feel like with Nike you can't ever transcend their 'plan. Yeah they want you to be successful, but not LeBron successful. You gotta wait in line.


Nike doesn't determine the All-Star team though, fans and coaches do...unless I am misunderstanding you.

i think what he means because the all star game is a popularity contest, nike chooses who they promote and who they don't and because of that the common fan didn't know who he was.

granted it was before he exploded but he wasn't marketed as their "top guy".

zion has billboards in times square and he's playing in new orleans.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
Image
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
User avatar
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 57,080
And1: 24,551
Joined: Jun 27, 2003
Location: Frankie N Baby
   

Re: Official Welcome to the Knicks... The Maple Mamba!! 

Post#1047 » by GONYK » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:18 pm

blueNorange wrote:
GONYK wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:
He was healthy at the end of 2013 season, which was the season he went to under armour and then became an all star.

The 2012-13 West team had Tony Parker 20 ppg, zbo 15 ppg, David Lee 18 ppg. David Lee was on his own team so that's weird enough by itself.

Don't know, I feel like with Nike you can't ever transcend their 'plan. Yeah they want you to be successful, but not LeBron successful. You gotta wait in line.


Nike doesn't determine the All-Star team though, fans and coaches do...unless I am misunderstanding you.

i think what he means because the all star game is a popularity contest, nike chooses who they promote and who they don't and because of that the common fan didn't know who he was.

granted it was before he exploded but he wasn't marketed as their "top guy".

zion has billboards in times square and he's playing in new orleans.


He wasn't a top guy though. He really only had one noteworthy season before switching over to UA.

I agree though, the promotion of Zion is on a different level. The marketing matrix we live in now is completely different though.
User avatar
2010
Knicks Forum A Helluva Poster
Posts: 23,243
And1: 15,737
Joined: Jul 24, 2008
       

Re: Official Welcome to the Knicks... The Maple Mamba!! 

Post#1048 » by 2010 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:52 pm

blueNorange wrote:
GONYK wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:
He was healthy at the end of 2013 season, which was the season he went to under armour and then became an all star.

The 2012-13 West team had Tony Parker 20 ppg, zbo 15 ppg, David Lee 18 ppg. David Lee was on his own team so that's weird enough by itself.

Don't know, I feel like with Nike you can't ever transcend their 'plan. Yeah they want you to be successful, but not LeBron successful. You gotta wait in line.


Nike doesn't determine the All-Star team though, fans and coaches do...unless I am misunderstanding you.

i think what he means because the all star game is a popularity contest, nike chooses who they promote and who they don't and because of that the common fan didn't know who he was.

granted it was before he exploded but he wasn't marketed as their "top guy".

zion has billboards in times square and he's playing in new orleans.


You're not at liberty to ever discuss anything Curry, for reasons well documented. :D
Image Image

We The North...

1: Sexton | Collison | Mudiay
2: Redick | Harris | Burks
3: Knox | Hood | Korver
4: Towns | Portis | Randolph
5: Cousins | ✖ | Jones

G League: Dotson | Caboclo | Konate
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 53,726
And1: 22,176
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Official Welcome to the Knicks... The Maple Mamba!! 

Post#1049 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:57 am

2010 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Nike doesn't determine the All-Star team though, fans and coaches do...unless I am misunderstanding you.

i think what he means because the all star game is a popularity contest, nike chooses who they promote and who they don't and because of that the common fan didn't know who he was.

granted it was before he exploded but he wasn't marketed as their "top guy".

zion has billboards in times square and he's playing in new orleans.


You're not at liberty to ever discuss anything Curry, for reasons well documented. :D


The "I'm Bored thread" is out this door, make a left, then down a set of stairs, make a left and then the right past the bathroom.
Image

Return to New York Knicks