ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Welcome to the Knicks... The Maple Mamba!!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,640

Re: Official Welcome to the Knicks... The Maple Mamba!! 

Post#901 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:20 pm

JustCame wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:I'll leave these right here just to show you that I'm not being "a hater" when it comes to RJ. These are things that I along with others find concerning about his game.

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/06/18/rj-barrett-scouting-report/

https://medium.com/sportsraid/rj-barrett-not-elite-nba-draft-prospect-2019-basketball-duke-rankings-canada-overrated-bust-cf106ca4900

The second of those articles is a good read. I think, although it's in some ways a trick of the presentation, the guy does a decent job of setting out the case for RJ as well as the one he ends up liking better, the case against him being a net positive draft.

I'm much more cautious about making my mind up this early. Just as I was (and still am) about Knox. [At the risk of repetition: I take nothing at all away from summer league performances and stats - for someone like a top-ten-FRP at least. My only take away is that I hate that the coaches were letting Mitch foul at 7.75 -as called in summer league - (or whatever it was) per 36 (through the first 4 games - I didn't bother recalculating to include the last one).]

I read that second article, and the author's conclusion was dreadful. He said he ranks him around the top 10 prospects in the draft, but also said he expects him to a make a couple all-star games? His main argument was that he might cripple a team with his contract in the future. So let's just use the 3rd pick on a solid role player instead? That's the worst argument I've seen so far. :crazy:

I'm not even going to address your argument on the second.

But what did you think of the first? You made no mention of it in your rant.
Free Palestine
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#902 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:35 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
smw6230 wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:Quiz question: is Bob Marley the most successful Jamaican musician ever?

depends on how you define success. but the highest selling jamaican artist of all time is shaggy.

That was kind of the direction I was going, but, looking at recent articles on the internet, the consensus seems to be Bob Marley is still by far the biggest earner, followed by Shaggy. I had assumed somehow that Sean Paul would have had much higher overall sales than it seems he actually has. And - and this may be wrong too - SP's influence on pop music (outside Jamaica) over the last 15 years is probably bigger than BM (or Shaggy).
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager

Post#903 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:40 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
JustCame wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:The second of those articles is a good read. I think, although it's in some ways a trick of the presentation, the guy does a decent job of setting out the case for RJ as well as the one he ends up liking better, the case against him being a net positive draft.

I'm much more cautious about making my mind up this early. Just as I was (and still am) about Knox. [At the risk of repetition: I take nothing at all away from summer league performances and stats - for someone like a top-ten-FRP at least. My only take away is that I hate that the coaches were letting Mitch foul at 7.75 -as called in summer league - (or whatever it was) per 36 (through the first 4 games - I didn't bother recalculating to include the last one).]

I read that second article, and the author's conclusion was dreadful. He said he ranks him around the top 10 prospects in the draft, but also said he expects him to a make a couple all-star games? His main argument was that he might cripple a team with his contract in the future. So let's just use the 3rd pick on a solid role player instead? That's the worst argument I've seen so far. :crazy:

I'll answer the argument on the second. The writer doesn't argue for a specific way of using the #3 FRP - either to pick someone(s) or to use it as an asset - he argues that he wouldn't use it on picking RJ. Why? Because he thinks that by far the most likely outcome of doing so is to become a treadmill team led by a stat-accruing, but inefficient player. Of course, one can disagree with his conclusions, but at least try to keep straight what his argument is.
smw6230
Senior
And1: 263

Post#904 » by smw6230 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:50 pm

This loos like it could be a good read.

Rookie Film Room: How is R.J. Barrett progressing in Summer League?

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2019/07/14/rookie-film-room-how-is-r-j-barrett-progressing-in-summer-league/

----

Article review. Everyone should read the article. It was toigh but balanced. I'll leave the X's & O's to others (Barrett at the 4 is crazy) but the author brings up some good points (esp, the unwillingness to challenge a shot at the rim. At Duke I told myself 'maybe K told him' concede those, stay out of foul trouble'.

This is the NBA now and given his size/frame/willingness to rebound, RJ needs to do a better job of defending the rim when in the paint.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,956

Post#905 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:51 pm

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
smw6230 wrote:

depends on how you define success. but the highest selling jamaican artist of all time is shaggy.

That was kind of the direction I was going, but, looking at recent articles on the internet, the consensus seems to be Bob Marley is still by far the biggest earner, followed by Shaggy. I had assumed somehow that Sean Paul would have had much higher overall sales than it seems he actually has. And - and this may be wrong too - SP's influence on pop music (outside Jamaica) over the last 15 years is probably bigger than BM (or Shaggy).

shaggy, yes. bob, no.

bob globalized reggae which became a foundation of hip-hop, which is the engine of the world's popular music.

and with all of that said, bob marley is like a genre unto himself. spoken among the all-time music greats among all forms. influence is one of the biggest one musician has ever had.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager

Post#906 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:57 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

shaggy, yes. bob, no.

bob globalized reggae which became a foundation of hip-hop, which is the engine of the world's popular music.

and with all of that said, bob marley is like a genre unto himself. spoken among the all-time music greats among all forms. influence is one of the biggest one musician has ever had.

Obviously, Bob Marley is, rightly, pretty universally recognized as an all-time great (in all forms). But I'm sceptical about the extent reggae, particularly Marley/the Wailers take on reggae, was a real foundation of hip-hop and that that still persists (albeit fed in through early hip-hop, rather than fading out). I'd really genuinely be interested to hear your thoughts on that.

[As for "engine of the world's popular music" ... idk ... is K-Pop more beholden to Kraftwork or DJ Herc? ]
smw6230
Senior
And1: 263

Post#907 » by smw6230 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:01 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

shaggy, yes. bob, no.

While technically not a Jamacian (he grew up there 5-15yrs old) if you counted Harry Belafonte he might have sold more records. The man could bring the calypso tho.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,920

Post#908 » by F N 11 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:16 am

Anybody tryna come down on RJ get no love. We know he has flaws. Just root for him Jesus Christ.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager

Post#909 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:27 am

smw6230 wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:That was kind of the direction I was going, but, looking at recent articles on the internet, the consensus seems to be Bob Marley is still by far the biggest earner, followed by Shaggy. I had assumed somehow that Sean Paul would have had much higher overall sales than it seems he actually has. And - and this may be wrong too - SP's influence on pop music (outside Jamaica) over the last 15 years is probably bigger than BM (or Shaggy).

shaggy, yes. bob, no.

While technically not a Jamacian (he grew up there 5-15yrs old) if you counted Harry Belafonte he might have sold more records. The man could bring the calypso tho.

If the Beatles hadn't happened then Belafonte & Kitchener & Sparrow & Mantovani & .. might be important things in pop-music. But they did so they aren't.

Obviously the (old) calypsonians are super-important in Trinidad and Barbados; and I have a Bajan friend who is convinced it's just a question of time before everything from Crop'Over/Mas goes global. But she's still waiting ;)
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#910 » by Mecca » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:30 am

smw6230 wrote:This loos like it could be a good read.

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2019/07/14/rookie-film-room-how-is-r-j-barrett-progressing-in-summer-league/

----

Article review. Everyone should read the article. It was toigh but balanced. I'll leave the X's & O's to others (Barrett at the 4 is crazy) but the author brings up some good points (esp, the unwillingness to challenge a shot at the rim. At Duke I told myself 'maybe K told him' concede those, stay out of foul trouble'.

This is the NBA now and given his size/frame/willingness to rebound, RJ needs to do a better job of defending the rim when in the paint.

This board had pitchforks on me when I said we should use RJ at the 4 the other day lol
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,640

Post#911 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:39 am

Mecca wrote:

----

This board had pitchforks on me when I said we should use RJ at the 4 the other day lol

I didn't. :D
Free Palestine
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,305

Post#912 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:12 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
smw6230 wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:Quiz question: is Bob Marley the most successful Jamaican musician ever?

I was going to go with the guy who put the airhorn on his record, then everyone sampled afterwards. You know, if he's getting royalties from that sample. :D
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#913 » by nedleeds » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:36 am

Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter

Shooting what % against players who will never start for NBA teams?
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
Infinitimind
Senior
And1: 398

Post#914 » by Infinitimind » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:39 am

Only seen a few RJ games in college, and I wasn’t impress at all. But the last few summer league I am very happy with the pick . He rebounded, got assists and got to the paint at will . He’s 19 year old he’s not finish product. But at 19 he is very good player and he’s want to be great. So I’m happy with the pick and I still believe we have good young talents. So I’m excited to watch the kids play next year
blackbishop
Rookie
And1: 85

Post#915 » by blackbishop » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:32 am

Infinitimind wrote:Only seen a few RJ games in college, and I wasn’t impress at all. But the last few summer league I am very happy with the pick . He rebounded, got assists and got to the paint at will . He’s 19 year old he’s not finish product. But at 19 he is very good player and he’s want to be great. So I’m happy with the pick and I still believe we have good young talents. So I’m excited to watch the kids play next year

I think it was a tale of two seasons almost. The first two games and the last three games. The first two games was ehhh. The last three games was really good. He was literally the most important player for the knicks on the floor especially the last two games. That was what I was most excited about. He was getting robinson the ball inside and not only on lobs. He was giving him the ball where only he could get it and do something with it. He was playing like a rookie lebron without the high flying dunks. That was most impressive.
Guano
RealGM
And1: 40,410

Post#916 » by Guano » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:36 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:I'll leave these right here just to show you that I'm not being "a hater" when it comes to RJ. These are things that I along with others find concerning about his game.

https://medium.com/sportsraid/rj-barrett-not-elite-nba-draft-prospect-2019-basketball-duke-rankings-canada-overrated-bust-cf106ca4900

you expect us to take this man's opinion on a prospect serious:

Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
JustCame
Assistant Coach
And1: 505

Post#917 » by JustCame » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:50 am

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
JustCame wrote:

I'll answer the argument on the second. The writer doesn't argue for a specific way of using the #3 FRP - either to pick someone(s) or to use it as an asset - he argues that he wouldn't use it on picking RJ. Why? Because he thinks that by far the most likely outcome of doing so is to become a treadmill team led by a stat-accruing, but inefficient player. Of course, one can disagree with his conclusions, but at least try to keep straight what his argument is.

I didn't read the 1st article yet, but will get around to it eventually.

You're missing a vital, congruent implication. If RJ isn't worth the 3rd overall pick in his eyes, then he believes the next player up would be a better choice. Given this has been consistently touted a 3 player draft, that means he's saying a better option would be to pick one of the other guys, who would profile as a role player, given it's a 3 man draft. That deduction should've been obvious.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#918 » by Oscirus » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:29 am

If that second link is what you're citing to support your arguments then you are definitely hating since that article is the pinnacle of a hating article where it somehow takes all his strengths and cites them as weaknesses and apparently every duke loss was on Barrett while every win was due to Zion.

If the worst he can say about Barrett is that he's a bad decision maker ( something that is easily coachable), then he got nothing.

Seventh best prospect in this draft :nonono: gmafb.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#919 » by Oscirus » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:31 am

Mecca wrote:

----

We should have pitchforks on anybody who suggests such foolishness. People need to stop being so creative with positions all the time and let players play as is.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Metta World WAR
Junior
And1: 331

Post#920 » by Metta World WAR » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:56 am

Guano wrote:

you expect us to take this man's opinion on a prospect serious:

Is that one of the RealGM Basketball General Forum Moderators?

Return to New York Knicks