Page 42 of 44

Re: WOJ: Julius Randle 3/63M (Team Option)

Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:06 pm
by thebuzzardman
Not specifically on topic, but kind of relates to Randle.

Given that Fiz's offense emphasizes players who attack the rim and that the Knicks, when given a chance to pick up an UDFA a year ago, went for Trier over other possible choices, and then this year went for Iggy, it's safe to say that Mills and Fiz look at the game i a similar way.

That point aside, it's been brought up Randle will see minutes at the 5. He's played there at every stop in his career, does well, and Fiz gushed about it during some sports telecast.

I think Randle is going to see quite a few minutes at the 5. He'll be Mitch's primary backup.

Anyway, considering those things, I think this is a lineup we'll see a lot. Not a starting lineup, but one that's out there a good bit.

DSJr
Trier
RJ
Morris
Randle

Especially if DSJr truly improved his jumper, and RJ's jumper turns out to be "NBA decent"

Not here to argue "oh, not sure of the spacing" or "the defense in that unit will suck!". Yes, and possibly yes. This is just a thought based on FO and coaching tendencies.

Plus, for any possible issues, I think that lineup can be good for a few 3 minute stretches each game, at least.

5 guys who can put the ball on the floor decently for their position, Some play making ability at each position, obviously of different levels, better mid range shooting that 3 point shooting, but shooting isn't terrible, but RJ and DSJr would have to take it up a notch.

Re: WOJ: Julius Randle 3/63M (Team Option)

Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:29 pm
by KnicksGod
He’s not perfect but I think the risk with him, even dollar for dollar, is lower than 9 months younger KP.

Re: WOJ: Julius Randle 3/63M (Team Option)

Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:40 pm
by F N 11
People sleeping. He has Blake Griffin or better potential. He clearly worked on his handle and shooting. Constantly showing it off.

Re: WOJ: Julius Randle 3/63M (Team Option)

Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:13 pm
by BKlutch
I'd quote F N 11, but I won't because I hate that ugly little generic avi. But I agree with him that people are sleeping on Randle. We're really going to like him this year.

Of course, we could still bring back Lance.

Re: WOJ: Julius Randle 3/63M (Team Option)

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:09 pm
by Deeeez Knicks
thebuzzardman wrote:Not specifically on topic, but kind of relates to Randle.

Given that Fiz's offense emphasizes players who attack the rim and that the Knicks, when given a chance to pick up an UDFA a year ago, went for Trier over other possible choices, and then this year went for Iggy, it's safe to say that Mills and Fiz look at the game i a similar way.

That point aside, it's been brought up Randle will see minutes at the 5. He's played there at every stop in his career, does well, and Fiz gushed about it during some sports telecast.

I think Randle is going to see quite a few minutes at the 5. He'll be Mitch's primary backup.

Anyway, considering those things, I think this is a lineup we'll see a lot. Not a starting lineup, but one that's out there a good bit.

DSJr
Trier
RJ
Morris
Randle

Especially if DSJr truly improved his jumper, and RJ's jumper turns out to be "NBA decent"

Not here to argue "oh, not sure of the spacing" or "the defense in that unit will suck!". Yes, and possibly yes. This is just a thought based on FO and coaching tendencies.

Plus, for any possible issues, I think that lineup can be good for a few 3 minute stretches each game, at least.

5 guys who can put the ball on the floor decently for their position, Some play making ability at each position, obviously of different levels, better mid range shooting that 3 point shooting, but shooting isn't terrible, but RJ and DSJr would have to take it up a notch.


It makes sense to play Randle minutes at the 5 and play some small ball lineups with Morris and wings. Morris was a key addition in that he is one of the few 3D PFs we have that can work well in different lineups. Maybe Iggy can develop into one as well.

But then we also have Taj and Portis off the bench who we paid decently and are expecting a lot of minutes. There probably will not be as many minutes leftover for small ball lineups as there should.

There are a lot of various combinations FIz can throw out there so it will be interesting to see how it works out.

Re: WOJ: Julius Randle 3/63M (Team Option)

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:19 pm
by BKlutch
KnicksGod wrote:Jah Okafor is already a Whatever happened to that guy?

Many of us can never forget how crazy Knicks fans were wanting to draft him, and how upset people were that we couldn't. Look how that worked out. Wow.

Re: WOJ: Julius Randle 3/63M (Team Option)

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:29 pm
by malik959
BKlutch wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:Jah Okafor is already a Whatever happened to that guy?

Many of us can never forget how crazy Knicks fans were wanting to draft him, and how upset people were that we couldn't. Look how that worked out. Wow.
Yeah thank God we got K......

Never mind

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

Re: WOJ: Julius Randle 3/63M (Team Option)

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:23 pm
by KnicksGod
malik959 wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:Jah Okafor is already a Whatever happened to that guy?

Many of us can never forget how crazy Knicks fans were wanting to draft him, and how upset people were that we couldn't. Look how that worked out. Wow.
Yeah thank God we got K......

Never mind

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app


Well we got a young player and some picks for KP which is more than Okafor could fetch. You can sort of also add Randle to the mix of assets received for KP.

Re: WOJ: Julius Randle 3/63M (Team Option)

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:27 pm
by GONYK
KnicksGod wrote:
malik959 wrote:
BKlutch wrote:Many of us can never forget how crazy Knicks fans were wanting to draft him, and how upset people were that we couldn't. Look how that worked out. Wow.
Yeah thank God we got K......

Never mind

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app


Well we got a young player and some picks for KP which is more than Okafor could fetch. You can sort of also add Randle to the mix of assets received for KP.


We cleared our entire cap because of KP

Re: WOJ: Julius Randle 3/63M (Team Option)

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:28 pm
by Fat Kat
BKlutch wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:Jah Okafor is already a Whatever happened to that guy?

Many of us can never forget how crazy Knicks fans were wanting to draft him, and how upset people were that we couldn't. Look how that worked out. Wow.


Yep

Read on Twitter


:lol:

I knew he was garbage from the jump

Re: WOJ: Julius Randle 3/63M (Team Option)

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:34 pm
by BKlutch
KnicksGod wrote:
malik959 wrote:
BKlutch wrote:Many of us can never forget how crazy Knicks fans were wanting to draft him, and how upset people were that we couldn't. Look how that worked out. Wow.
Yeah thank God we got K......

Never mind

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app


Well we got a young player and some picks for KP which is more than Okafor could fetch. You can sort of also add Randle to the mix of assets received for KP.

KP had great trade value for us. Wonder what you could get for Okafor now? Lance Thomas?

Re: WOJ: Julius Randle 3/63M (Team Option)

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:36 pm
by BKlutch
And not to belabor the point, but D'Angelo Russell was supposed to be great, then was a piece of shyt, now he's valuable again. Sometimes, the draft doesn't work out exactly like you'd expect.

I mean, we'd never be able to find the shot blocking center we need in the second round after everybody good is gone.

Re: WOJ: Julius Randle 3/63M (Team Option)

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:47 pm
by BKlutch
GONYK wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
malik959 wrote:Yeah thank God we got K......

Never mind

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app


Well we got a young player and some picks for KP which is more than Okafor could fetch. You can sort of also add Randle to the mix of assets received for KP.


We cleared our entire cap because of KP

And who is that one player we MOST wanted to get rid of more than anything, but couldn't?? He was a part of that cap clearance, too. I'm so glad OK4 was selected before we got to pick. Other than DAR, maybe KAT would be ok, but at least we got a lot from trading KP. But look at that awful draft...
#1 KAT - he's not bad
#2 DAR - he may or may not become great, but he's really good
#3 OK4 - he's, well, not good
#4 KP - goodbye, sucker. But thanks for all the picks
#5 Super Mario - he was very good for 2 games as Point Guard
#6 WCS - meh
#7 MUDIAY - Yay he's gone.
#8 Stanley Johnson - 37.4FG% 29.3 3pt%
#9 Frank the Tank Kaminsky - shooting 41.9%. A scorer.
#10 Just Us Winslow - Also shooting 41.9%. Another scorer.

So as much as we all have suddenly started to hate Latvian basketball, we really did OK in the end drafting KP. Dallas, well, enjoy this mature and dedicated teammate.

Re: WOJ: Julius Randle 3/63M (Team Option)

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:41 pm
by thebuzzardman
BKlutch wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
malik959 wrote:Yeah thank God we got K......

Never mind

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app


Well we got a young player and some picks for KP which is more than Okafor could fetch. You can sort of also add Randle to the mix of assets received for KP.

KP had great trade value for us. Wonder what you could get for Okafor now? Lance Thomas?


Only if you included a pick :D

Re: WOJ: Julius Randle 3/63M (Team Option)

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:42 pm
by thebuzzardman
Fiz wants to play Randle with RJ like Randle is Zion. 5 guys pushing the pace.

Mitch might not even start. People might get their "Morris is a 4" wish after all.

Re: WOJ: Julius Randle 3/63M (Team Option)

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:00 am
by WajaBawl
thebuzzardman wrote:Fiz wants to play Randle with RJ like Randle is Zion. 5 guys pushing the pace.

Mitch might not even start. People might get their "Morris is a 4" wish after all.


Portis was informed that Mitch is gonna start.

Re: WOJ: Julius Randle 3/63M (Team Option)

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:02 am
by stuporman
Yea, sure, Randle isn't perfect but he's improved on one weakness so now looks money from 3 and all he needs to do is become average on defense to be a significant plus player. Although, he's a guy who they can give the ball to and he's going to get a bucket in quite a variety of ways or get to the line while not being a black hole either.

Once Siakam gets his max contract after this season he becomes a very productive and efficient two way player but who can't really generate his own shot with any consistency he's going to be overpaid. His offensive game is still very rudimentary though effective but he's older than Randle.

Re: WOJ: Julius Randle 3/63M (Team Option)

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:14 am
by thebuzzardman
WajaBawl wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Fiz wants to play Randle with RJ like Randle is Zion. 5 guys pushing the pace.

Mitch might not even start. People might get their "Morris is a 4" wish after all.


Portis was informed that Mitch is gonna start.

Randle will still see 18-20 mpg as a 5

Re: WOJ: Julius Randle 3/63M (Team Option)

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:45 am
by KnicksGod
thebuzzardman wrote:
WajaBawl wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Fiz wants to play Randle with RJ like Randle is Zion. 5 guys pushing the pace.

Mitch might not even start. People might get their "Morris is a 4" wish after all.


Portis was informed that Mitch is gonna start.

Randle will still see 18-20 mpg as a 5


“We already know Mitch can dunk. Let’s see the baby jumper and the 3 ball, and let’s dump it down and let him work on that side of the floor with the clearout.”

Re: WOJ: Julius Randle 3/63M (Team Option)

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:32 am
by Clyde Frazier
fun fact: took a look at pick and roll finishers in the league last year. mitch ranked 1st in the entire league at 1.46 pts per possession and 98.6 percentile. randle not far behind ranking 5th in pts per possession and 92.1 percentile!