ImageImageImageImageImage

(WOJ) Knicks sign Bobby Portis 2 yr/$31 mil (Team Option)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,371
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Re: (WOJ) Knicks sign Bobby Portis 2 yr/$31 mil (Team Option) 

Post#101 » by BKlutch » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:30 pm

Sark wrote:
delvec19 wrote:https://deadspin.com/bobby-portis-is-a-lesson-in-the-cost-of-doing-business-1836031127

So we paid him 10x his actual value just so that we can have a team option :lol:

carmelo is not his actual value. It is a number calculated by 538.com, and it may not be accurate when applied to a guy on a shyt team. So we took a gamble on him. Maybe we're hoping to use him to scare Embiid if he gets too rough with Mitch? Those eyes are crazier than Beas' eyes.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#102 » by Sark » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:37 pm

BKlutch wrote:
Sark wrote:
delvec19 wrote:https://deadspin.com/bobby-portis-is-a-lesson-in-the-cost-of-doing-business-1836031127

So we paid him 10x his actual value just so that we can have a team option :lol:

carmelo is not his actual value. It is a number calculated by 538.com, and it may not be accurate when applied to a guy on a shyt team. So we took a gamble on him. Maybe we're hoping to use him to scare Embiid if he gets too rough with Mitch? Those eyes are crazier than Beas' eyes.

It's a projected value. Obviously you're worth what the market will pay, but that doesn't mean it's not an overpay. At one point Chandler Parsons was worth a massive contract on the market. It turned into a massive overpay, and one of the worst contracts in basketball.

Portis is only a 1 year deal, but it's still a massive overpay for this year.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,371
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#103 » by BKlutch » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:38 pm

Sark wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
Sark wrote:

It's a projected value. Obviously you're worth what the market will pay, but that doesn't mean it's not an overpay. At one point Chandler Parsons was worth a massive contract on the market. It turned into a massive overpay, and one of the worst contracts in basketball.

Portis is only a 1 year deal, but it's still a massive overpay for this year.

It is a gamble, an overpay, but it will likely have no consequences because we wouldn't have done anything with that money. Of course, there may be entertainment value in having Crazy Eyes on the team.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

nyknicks09
RealGM
And1: 3,215

Re: (WOJ) Knicks sign Bobby Portis 2 yr/$31 mil 

Post#104 » by nyknicks09 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:46 pm

Grinditout wrote:So, are they paying Gibson 10 milly to just be a locker room guy and veteran? Cus I dont see how he gets minutes over the other 3 big guys

He’s our Lance Thomas man. Randle is our ZBO, and Portis and Bullock is a combination of THjr and Courtney Lee.

The key signing here is Randle. He’s going to bring us luck in getting that number 1 pick in the 2020 NBA Draft.

Are you sold yet on this or does Mills have to send another apology letter to Knicks fans?
New York Knicks
Cookies4Life
Rookie
And1: 1,411

Post#105 » by Cookies4Life » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:53 pm

I've been watching a lot of his highlights from last season. He's surprisingly good on the offensive side, nearly shot 40% from behind the arc. The money is a little high but he's still only 24 years old and his ability to stretch the floor is something this team was in dire need of.

I'm really starting to like a lot of these signings. Him and Bullock are very good 3 point shooters and Randle is starting to become one himself. I like the fact Portis and Randle are only 24, they fit the timeline of what this team is trying to build here. I just hope they can grow into average defensive players.

Some underrated moves this offseason. I'm beginning to think this team might actually be half decent this upcoming season.
Infinitimind
Senior
And1: 398

Post#106 » by Infinitimind » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:57 pm

I’m not mad at this or the randel pick up. A 24 years old, 6-11 who shoots 40 percent from 3s and averaged 14 and 8. And He still has room to grow. Hopefully he can grow with with our kids.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,312

Post#107 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Jul 2, 2019 10:14 pm

Probably my least favorite signing. I would've rather kept that space for 1 salary dump. A little too high usage for my liking, the 3PT shooting is only over a 50 game sample, and while everyone makes mistakes, slugging mitotic in the face isn't exactly a good look. I really don't know what to expect from him beyond inconsistency.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#108 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Jul 2, 2019 10:16 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
2 years, but point taken.

This wasn't the worst offseason, until they signed Portis. Then it turned questionable. Still not horrible, just not good either. Aside from any Durant\Kyrie\Kawhi pipedreams

Did you want Morris as the backup to Randle? Who would you have chosen?

A cheaper guy like Vonleh

I really don't get taj over vonleh. We'll have to see where he ends up. My only guess is he wanted a long term deal. I don't care if his shooting fell off, that team was so bare it was pretty much expected. He was just solid.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#109 » by bearadonisdna » Tue Jul 2, 2019 10:25 pm

Gives knicks that 2 7 footer look they were using with kornet at the end of last season.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,456

Post#110 » by Fat Kat » Tue Jul 2, 2019 10:25 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
BKlutch wrote:Did you want Morris as the backup to Randle? Who would you have chosen?

A cheaper guy like Vonleh

I really don't get taj over vonleh. We'll have to see where he ends up. My only guess is he wanted a long term deal. I don't care if his shooting fell off, that team was so bare it was pretty much expected. He was just solid.

Veteran leadership and a locker room presence.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
bearadonisdna
RealGM

Post#111 » by bearadonisdna » Tue Jul 2, 2019 10:33 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:A cheaper guy like Vonleh

Taj is from ny and he may be better than Bobby.
Both can perform at 6moy levels.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#112 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Jul 2, 2019 10:34 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:A cheaper guy like Vonleh

I like taj, don't like Portis. Would've been fine with taj + vonleh too.
bearadonisdna
RealGM

Post#113 » by bearadonisdna » Tue Jul 2, 2019 10:39 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:

I like taj, don't like Portis. Would've been fine with taj + vonleh too.

Taj is a beast small ball 5 but wouldn't do it regularly against legitimate size.
Taj is 6'9 so it's easy to see that he is more suited for spot minutes.

Vonleh was getting phased out. He seems like he could be more a 5, but Bobby brings more offense than him.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#114 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Jul 2, 2019 10:47 pm

Read on Twitter

Um...
SmoothLefty21
Starter
And1: 2,410

Post#115 » by SmoothLefty21 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 10:47 pm

Hey look, another article by a clueless idiot who doesn't know or understand that we had some $60m we had to spend. The only way to do that without massively overpaying one player is to kinda overpay a bunch of guys on 1-year deals. It's a non-issue and that's a stupid article.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,280

Post#116 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:59 pm

bearadonisdna wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:

I should have been clearer. I like Taj after Randle. THEN I would have liked cheap Vonleh over Portis
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,537

Post#117 » by cgmw » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:17 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:

I should have been clearer. I like Taj after Randle. THEN I would have liked cheap Vonleh over Portis

I don’t care about the one-year money. I’m happy we added players with more experience than Vonleh. We already have Knox filling the role of goofy overgrown puppy. Let’s get some grown people out there and re-sign Von in 2 years for the full MLE.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,513

Post#118 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:28 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:Probably my least favorite signing. I would've rather kept that space for 1 salary dump. A little too high usage for my liking, the 3PT shooting is only over a 50 game sample, and while everyone makes mistakes, slugging mitotic in the face isn't exactly a good look. I really don't know what to expect from him beyond inconsistency.

I kind of agree.

I'm not mad at the signing in and of itself, nice player with upside on a good contract. But it felt completely unnecessary.

The forward spots are now overcrowded and he will only take minutes away from Kevin Knox as a back-up 4, which should be Knox's long-term position. I would've been cool with a Randle/Mitch +Knox/Taj frontcourt rotation with a cheaper back-up big. We'll see, maybe Portis reaches another level.
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#119 » by Jose7 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:37 am

Chanel Bomber wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:Probably my least favorite signing. I would've rather kept that space for 1 salary dump. A little too high usage for my liking, the 3PT shooting is only over a 50 game sample, and while everyone makes mistakes, slugging mitotic in the face isn't exactly a good look. I really don't know what to expect from him beyond inconsistency.

I kind of agree.

I'm not mad at the signing in and of itself, nice player with upside on a good contract. But it felt completely unnecessary.

The forward spots are now overcrowded and he will only take minutes away from Kevin Knox as a back-up 4, which should be Knox's long-term position. I would've been cool with a Randle/Mitch +Knox/Taj frontcourt rotation with a cheaper back-up big. We'll see, maybe Portis reaches another level.

agreee CB..

excessive.. this was the SLOT for the iggy contract absorption.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,280

Post#120 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:39 am

cgmw wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:

I don’t care about the one-year money. I’m happy we added players with more experience than Vonleh. We already have Knox filling the role of goofy overgrown puppy. Let’s get some grown people out there and re-sign Von in 2 years for the full MLE.

Once I found out it was 1+1 I was ok with Portis

Return to New York Knicks