ImageImageImageImageImage

(Shams) Knicks sign Elfrid Payton

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Re: (Shams) Knicks sign Elfrid Payton 

Post#181 » by nedleeds » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:48 pm

NYKAL wrote:
Cookies4Life wrote:He reminds me of a goofier version of Andre Miller. Payton likes to play in a more slow paced, half court setting and a lot of his offense comes from inside the arc.

His style of play has become obsolete in today's game. I wish we never signed him in the first place and let our 2 lottery guys in DSJ and Frank share PG duties from the beginning of the year. Payton would probably make for an adequate backup PG but I'd rather our PG's in general play a more uptempo style and have more shooting ability from behind the arc.

our point guard suck ass. As much as I dislike Payton, he is better than DSJ or Frank.

The truth is our entire point guard grouping is so far below average its embarrassing. DSJ is the worst of them but, Frank would be a 3rd string guard on a Good team. DSJ wouldn't crack a G-League roster. If you took every game he played this season, he isn't even G-League material right now. He's had MULTIPLE 0point games

Franks developed a heart but, and a desire to be a (laugh) dog, doesn't make him shoot any LESS poorly. Dude is ass just, not as Assey as DSJ. And the MYTH of him being a lockdown defender.....I haven't seen it at all this year. Decent to good but, far from great or elite as fanboy like to claim

There's nothing Payton does better than Frank. His shooting is worse. He's older. We picked up Franks option. The only thing Payton does better is appear on Scott Perry's shitrag resume.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,913

Post#182 » by god shammgod » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:51 pm

ITGM wrote:Ya'll laughing but the Knicks have low-key constructed a scrappy roster with healthy, attractive contracts.

this post had 27 and1s. jesus.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#183 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:55 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:All these signings will be playing a lot of minutes. Def starting.

Payton
Ellington
Bullock
Randle
Gibson

Your 2019 NYK

This was my guess before they signed Morris

Thought the bump meant he had been traded before I read the post. :cry:
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#184 » by NYKAL » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:21 pm

nedleeds wrote:
NYKAL wrote:
Cookies4Life wrote:He reminds me of a goofier version of Andre Miller. Payton likes to play in a more slow paced, half court setting and a lot of his offense comes from inside the arc.

His style of play has become obsolete in today's game. I wish we never signed him in the first place and let our 2 lottery guys in DSJ and Frank share PG duties from the beginning of the year. Payton would probably make for an adequate backup PG but I'd rather our PG's in general play a more uptempo style and have more shooting ability from behind the arc.

our point guard suck ass. As much as I dislike Payton, he is better than DSJ or Frank.

The truth is our entire point guard grouping is so far below average its embarrassing. DSJ is the worst of them but, Frank would be a 3rd string guard on a Good team. DSJ wouldn't crack a G-League roster. If you took every game he played this season, he isn't even G-League material right now. He's had MULTIPLE 0point games

Franks developed a heart but, and a desire to be a (laugh) dog, doesn't make him shoot any LESS poorly. Dude is ass just, not as Assey as DSJ. And the MYTH of him being a lockdown defender.....I haven't seen it at all this year. Decent to good but, far from great or elite as fanboy like to claim

There's nothing Payton does better than Frank. His shooting is worse. He's older. We picked up Franks option. The only thing Payton does better is appear on Scott Perry's shitrag resume.

YOU are wrong and I'm not even going to bother to elaborate. If you think Frank is better, good for you
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,315

Post#185 » by Hes_On_Fire » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:42 pm

god shammgod wrote:
ITGM wrote:Ya'll laughing but the Knicks have low-key constructed a scrappy roster with healthy, attractive contracts.

Line them all up and get the crow ready.
New York Knicks franchise W-L record as of 9/2/22 since James L Dolan assumed full ownership (2001):

673-1,007
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#186 » by nedleeds » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:07 pm

NYKAL wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
NYKAL wrote:

YOU are wrong and I'm not even going to bother to elaborate. If you think Frank is better, good for you

You are wrong and I'm not going to elaborate is my favorite RealGM response. Thanks for being there.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
NYKAL
General Manager

Post#187 » by NYKAL » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:26 pm

The quote you posted said exactly what I thought but , here we go

His shooting IS NOT better. Last night is a BLIP and not a true representation of Franks shooting % It is WORSE than Payton. Payton is the Better point guard, better passer and set people up better. Frank did a good job last night but, don't get it twisted. He's just as likely to go 1 for 8 next game with lazy ass passes.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#188 » by Knicksfan1992 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:37 pm

I can't stand seeing Payton play currently but that's mainly due to the way the rest of the roster is constructed. Without proper spacing his value is kind of diminished. With that said, this was actually one of our better value signings. He's pretty decent at everything but scoring and shooting which makes him a high end backup/low end starter. At 8 million a year that's good value and probably can fetch you something from a PG needy team. He's kind of like a Rubio type with a little less defense but he's still a pest at times on that end...
Blockwatcher
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,174

Post#189 » by Blockwatcher » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:42 pm

Hes_On_Fire wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

::cough cough::

This Post Was And 1'd By:
Spoiler:
bishnykfan, NoLayupRule, Starks, matchman, Fat Kat, King of Canada, thebuzzardman, DE FENSE, CoolKids, bigfnjoe96, cooch2584, jamalkandur, MaseInYourFace, Jeff Van Gully, Kampuchea, evevale, iLLSonChandla, dmzed, NYKinMIA, Statrax, Carl_Karlson, BKlutch, robillionaire, Floozenheimen, ItsPajama, Galou, Zenzibar
1 John 2 : 15-17
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,650

Post#190 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:42 pm

nedleeds wrote:
NYKAL wrote:

Create off the dribble, get into the paint, rebound, find open shooters, find the dunker ....
NYKAL
General Manager

Post#191 » by NYKAL » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:59 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
NYKAL wrote:

Create off the dribble, get into the paint, rebound, find open shooters, find the dunker ....

every time he has a decent game, this happens.
Dave DaButcher
Sixth Man
And1: 4,296

Post#192 » by Dave DaButcher » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:07 pm

Blockwatcher wrote:
Hes_On_Fire wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

::cough cough::

This Post Was And 1'd By:
Spoiler:
bishnykfan, NoLayupRule, Starks, matchman, Fat Kat, King of Canada, thebuzzardman, DE FENSE, CoolKids, bigfnjoe96, cooch2584, jamalkandur, MaseInYourFace, Jeff Van Gully, Kampuchea, evevale, iLLSonChandla, dmzed, NYKinMIA, Statrax, Carl_Karlson, BKlutch, robillionaire, Floozenheimen, ItsPajama, Galou, Zenzibar

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,281

Post#193 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:11 pm

god shammgod wrote:

I had one of them. I'm on record stating that I thought the vets might work out - in a "semi competitive, at least the contracts are 1 year" kind of way. After 10 games, I knew I was wrong.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,650

Post#194 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:14 pm

NYKAL wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:
nedleeds wrote:There's nothing Payton does better than Frank. His shooting is worse. He's older. We picked up Franks option. The only thing Payton does better is appear on Scott Perry's shitrag resume.

But Elfrid had 9 points, 3 rebounds and 9 assists to Frank's 11/3/2 ... seems weird to say there is nothing he does better.
NYKAL
General Manager

Post#195 » by NYKAL » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:39 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
NYKAL wrote:
prophet_of_rage wrote:

But Elfrid had 9 points, 3 rebounds and 9 assists to Frank's 11/3/2 ... seems weird to say there is nothing he does better.

I know it and you know it but,....some guys focus solely on the guys they like. He may not have even realized Payton had 9 assists to franks 3
Cookies4Life
Rookie
And1: 1,411

Post#196 » by Cookies4Life » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:40 pm

Frank's assist numbers are a bit low but he gets guys a lot of really good looks and they just don't finish. I see at least 2-3 blown opportunities each game and that's probably a conservative estimate.

Let's see how this team does the next 5 or 6 games since some of those games are winnable (in theory at least,) and while I think aspirations of making the playoffs is delusional at this point, the East is so bad that stringing together a few wins could put them in the chase for the 8th seed. If they end up going 1-5 or 2-4, I really hope they focus on youth development for the rest of the year. I'd like to see Robinson starting full time and just allow him the opportunity to work through his foul woes. I refuse to believe his IQ has diminished from the end of last year when he was playing so productively on 25+ minutes per game after the AS break. I'd also like to see Knox get more minutes and Trier crack the rotation again.
NYKAL
General Manager

Post#197 » by NYKAL » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:42 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

I had one of them. I'm on record stating that I thought the vets might work out - in a "semi competitive, at least the contracts are 1 year" kind of way. After 10 games, I knew I was wrong.

I really think if Just as Clyde said last night, if Payton hadn't missed the 1st 17games, I believe we would be close to the 8th seed.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,301

Post#198 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:50 pm

Dude is a backup PG on a reasonable deal. We just happen to be weak at the position...yet again. New season same story for decades. So...yeah. We STILL need a starting PG. EVERY YEAR!
:beer: RIP mags
NYKAL
General Manager

Post#199 » by NYKAL » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:57 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:Dude is a backup PG on a reasonable deal. We just happen to be weak at the position...yet again. New season same story for decades. So...yeah. We STILL need a starting PG. EVERY YEAR!

I kind of feel foolish debating this after the fact. None of them are good enough to have sparked this many pages of debate
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,913

Post#200 » by god shammgod » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:11 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:Dude is a backup PG on a reasonable deal. We just happen to be weak at the position...yet again. New season same story for decades. So...yeah. We STILL need a starting PG. EVERY YEAR!

there's a bunch of young points at the top of the draft. if we don't grab one somehow.....jesus.

Return to New York Knicks