ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Hong Kong, China, United States and NBA

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

DOLPHIN2020
Veteran
And1: 1,138

Re: OT: Time claims Hong Kong as the new West Berlin 

Post#141 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Mon Oct 7, 2019 1:24 pm

matchman wrote:And so Kanter is involved too.

Read on Twitter
?s=09
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-basketball-nba-tsai-idUSKBN1WM0C8

From what I see, Hongkongers are not asking for independence. Joe spreading fake news.

Gotta love the New Jersey Nets.
21 Hussle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,628

Post#142 » by 21 Hussle » Mon Oct 7, 2019 1:36 pm

Joe Tsai in a long-winded way basically said he wants the Nets to take the Rockets place as the most beloved team.
:meditate: Patience :meditate:
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,785

Post#143 » by matchman » Mon Oct 7, 2019 1:55 pm

tuna108 wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=09

From what I see, Hongkongers are not asking for independence. Joe spreading fake news.

Joe Tsai? He can go f himself. Born in Taiwan while having Hong Kong as residence, while having dual nationality as Canadian/Taiwanese, he embraces the money and the love from CCP. Typical hypocrite or "overseas patriot".

So maybe one more reason to be being disgusted by the Nets.
Are you fans of the team or the player?
DOLPHIN2020
Veteran

Post#144 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Mon Oct 7, 2019 1:59 pm

matchman wrote:
tuna108 wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=09

Joe Tsai? He can go f himself. Born in Taiwan while having Hong Kong as residence, while having dual nationality as Canadian/Taiwanese, he embraces the money and the love from CCP. Typical hypocrite or "overseas patriot".

aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,167

Post#145 » by aq_ua » Mon Oct 7, 2019 2:14 pm

tuna108 wrote:
matchman wrote:
tuna108 wrote:https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-basketball-nba-tsai-idUSKBN1WM0C8

absolutely, he is lucky he was able to get his money out unlike his buddy Jack Ma who got screwed out of his Alibaba ownership. Joe loves the freedom of the west yet toes the party line.

Wait, I know Jack Ma stepped back into a non-executive role, but I was not aware he had to give up ownership as well. Uncompensated? That would seem like a massive blow to domestic entrepreneurship.
DOLPHIN2020
Veteran

Post#146 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Mon Oct 7, 2019 2:31 pm

aq_ua wrote:
tuna108 wrote:
matchman wrote:Joe Tsai? He can go f himself. Born in Taiwan while having Hong Kong as residence, while having dual nationality as Canadian/Taiwanese, he embraces the money and the love from CCP. Typical hypocrite or "overseas patriot".

absolutely, he is lucky he was able to get his money out unlike his buddy Jack Ma who got screwed out of his Alibaba ownership. Joe loves the freedom of the west yet toes the party line.

Wait, I know Jack Ma stepped back into a non-executive role, but I was not aware he had to give up ownership as well. Uncompensated? That would seem like a massive blow to domestic entrepreneurship.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,177

Post#147 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Oct 7, 2019 4:49 pm

Seriously man, Adam Silver can go fck himself
21 Hussle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,628

Post#148 » by 21 Hussle » Mon Oct 7, 2019 5:02 pm

A player needs to speak up. He may not be the best guy but I think Kyrie has the balls to.
:meditate: Patience :meditate:
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,596

Post#149 » by Stannis » Mon Oct 7, 2019 6:09 pm

21 Hussle wrote:A player needs to speak up. He may not be the best guy but I think Kyrie has the balls to.

I doubt it considering who is owner is.

But that would be incredibly more awesome if he did!
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#150 » by Stannis » Mon Oct 7, 2019 11:53 pm

What are your opinions on guys like Clay Travis bringing in LBJ, Kerr, and Popovich into all of this?

I think it's annoying. They are trying to make this a Leftist thing, when it isn't at all. They are just waiting for a moment to say "aha! look, hypocrites!". They are saying things like the NBA banned the term "owners" and moved the ASG out from the Charlotte, but don't stick up for HK.

This is really only about one thing... money. I'm not saying that is ok at all. It's wrong. But it's getting tiring to hear this crap.

I'm sure the NBA would have kept the ASG in Charlotte if they were risking a 4 billion dollar market. So it really has nothing to do with favoring the views of leftists or "SJWs".
Free Palestine
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,116

Post#151 » by drekwins » Tue Oct 8, 2019 12:24 am

Stannis wrote:
21 Hussle wrote:A player needs to speak up. He may not be the best guy but I think Kyrie has the balls to.

I doubt it considering who is owner is.

But that would be incredibly more awesome if he did!

KD and Kyrie are the two who might. Marbury? Paul? Embiid?

I think it would have to be someone a little bit further along in their career who is aware. Bill Walton would go nuts.
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#152 » by matchman » Tue Oct 8, 2019 7:37 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/255631/Nets-Visit-To-Shaghai-School-Canceled-By-Chinese-Government

[green]Btw it is Shanghai not Shaghai, gotta make the pronunciation right to prevent being claimed as racist. Just want to prevent from Realgm getting into trouble. [/green]
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,004

Post#153 » by god shammgod » Tue Oct 8, 2019 1:05 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,862

Post#154 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Oct 8, 2019 1:46 pm

Nets fan here. Joe Tsai can go **** himself.

The CCP has no right to dictate what Americans can or cannot say. They are out of control.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Stannis
RealGM

Post#155 » by Stannis » Tue Oct 8, 2019 2:36 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Nets fan here. Joe Tsai can go **** himself.

The CCP has no right to dictate what Americans can or cannot say. They are out of control.

They can't.

But either way, looks like they are moving away from the NBA and taking their money lol.
Free Palestine
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,116

Post#156 » by drekwins » Tue Oct 8, 2019 2:48 pm

If they're this sensitive about one NBA GM sharing one tweet about his support for Hong Kong, imagine what's really going on over there. As Americans, this is where we come together and say F China.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 37,861

Post#157 » by KnicksGod » Tue Oct 8, 2019 3:12 pm

Silver Take Two: Longer muddle of unclear statements that try to tiptoe and say nothing to anybody or, if you prefer, say everything to everybody.

Oh well. It's not entirely their fault. They're not a government, they're a business. So maybe they should just say "We're a business and we want good relations with China." That would be honest and is something China would understand, and Americans couldn't argue against.
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#158 » by matchman » Tue Oct 8, 2019 3:56 pm

KnicksGod wrote:Silver Take Two: Longer muddle of unclear statements that try to tiptoe and say nothing to anybody or, if you prefer, say everything to everybody.

Oh well. It's not entirely their fault. They're not a government, they're a business. So maybe they should just say "We're a business and we want good relations with China." That would be honest and is something China would understand, and Americans couldn't argue against.
Well then they would lose all the grounds they built up for supporting the minorities and the weak. And NBA cares would become an ironic campaign. But whatever.
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#159 » by matchman » Tue Oct 8, 2019 4:01 pm

drekwins wrote:

If they're this sensitive about one NBA GM sharing one tweet about his support for Hong Kong, imagine what's really going on over there. As Americans, this is where we come together and say F China.

They will prevent you from saying that, or they will stop the channel you try to spread through. Then they make it look like everybody is saying "All hail CCP", which is false.

There is a recent comparison between random mainlanders and Hong Kongers:

During 1989, most of the Hong Kongers shed tears and supported the mainland students fighting for democracy;

While in 2019, most of mainlanders are cheering for government putting off the struggle of Hong Kongers.

The power of brainwashing.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 37,861

Post#160 » by KnicksGod » Tue Oct 8, 2019 6:10 pm

matchman wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:Silver Take Two: Longer muddle of unclear statements that try to tiptoe and say nothing to anybody or, if you prefer, say everything to everybody.

Well then they would lose all the grounds they built up for supporting the minorities and the weak. And NBA cares would become an ironic campaign. But whatever.

Yeah and I don't disagree with you at all fundamentally. I'd be inspired if the NBA took a stand here. And it is more than just a game or a business. That's the nature of sports.

I was really just commenting narrowly on strategy as far as Silver trying to fix things. I don't think the second statement was effective really.

If they want to just make a business decision then say so and leave it there. Clearly they're trying to have it both ways in a way that is transparently self-serving.

Either take a stand or be real and say it's about money and keeping our Chinese fans interested. It's a complicated subject (which is perhaps true in some ways) so they can "get away" with that.

My own opinion is that it's not that complicated. Free societies and civil rights have helped make the NBA money and they should stay true to that.

But if not, just be honest and stop with the lawyerly double speak.

It's obviously about money. If this was some small country with no NBA fans that was the oppressor and the NBA was in the middle, they'd take the side of the oppressed.

But they won't do that here for dollars. I think they need to go in one direction or another. The muddle is sort of silly.

Politically and in real human cost, I think it's clear what the answer is. That's not even in doubt.

But I mean - the U.S. trades with China and won't stop trading with them. Big businesses and governments have to make compromises. I get it. But I don't agree with it.

And yes it's obviously a big hypocritical thing. Civil rights happen to be highly important and relevant to the African-American athlete, who is the strong majority in the sport. So what if they make less money. Do they really think the Chinese will stop watching? Doubt it.

But big businesses do safe things. I don't think they need to implicitly support or mimic the government of China in any way. This is not a business struggling to survive. So you make less money. Who cares.

Return to New York Knicks