ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Hong Kong, China, United States and NBA

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 47,836

Re: OT: Hong Kong, China, United States and NBA 

Post#201 » by robillionaire » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:34 am

freedom house is a us government sponsored organization that poses as an NGO to legally channel us government funds to opposition groups and has history of collaborating with the CIA, I guess they're trying to show up to nba games and whip people into a frenzy to demand regime change in china
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 47,836

Post#202 » by robillionaire » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:47 am

Garbagelo wrote:we are heading into another cold war

stay safe people

a lot of buildings here in NYC have "fallout shelter" signs on them that are relics of the cold war, pretty sure they aren't going to save us though

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#203 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:10 am

aq_ua wrote:Probably worth mentioning that the NBA was naive in thinking that any business could be immune from the effects of a prolonged trade war. At the heart of it, unfortunately, the US skin in this China vs. HK story really seems to be about trade.

We also only talk about the "NBA" downside of the equation when it comes to this story. Basketball is huge in China, and sports in general in China is estimated to be a $300-400 billion industry. Imagine if China loses access to the best basketball league in the world, and possibly the cast out NBA players that sometimes end up in Chinese leagues. Obviously it doesn't cripple China's economy but they won't avoid the pain either.

Agreed. This is how we topple China! And it just fell onto our laps. 8-) They need us more than we need them. Now, the NBA should ratchet it up with a pro-Hong Kong media blitz and advertising campaign. Have the All-Star Game moved to Hong Kong.

We will beat them with basketball. "Ball don't lie!"
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,167

Post#204 » by aq_ua » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:20 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
aq_ua wrote:Probably worth mentioning that the NBA was naive in thinking that any business could be immune from the effects of a prolonged trade war. At the heart of it, unfortunately, the US skin in this China vs. HK story really seems to be about trade.

We also only talk about the "NBA" downside of the equation when it comes to this story. Basketball is huge in China, and sports in general in China is estimated to be a $300-400 billion industry. Imagine if China loses access to the best basketball league in the world, and possibly the cast out NBA players that sometimes end up in Chinese leagues. Obviously it doesn't cripple China's economy but they won't avoid the pain either.

Agreed. This is how we topple China! And it just fell onto our laps. 8-) They need us more than we need them. Now, the NBA should ratchet it up with a pro-Hong Kong media blitz and advertising campaign. Have the All-Star Game moved to Hong Kong.

The Nets vs. Lakers game is allowed to go on. For now. Seems less about ideology and more about trying to use every piece of leverage available towards really what is a commercial disagreement, was my point. I do - however - agree with the overall premise of "they need us more than we need them" (even if the comment was facetious in nature) - although it will be extremely painful for the world to fully explore that path.
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,785

Post#205 » by matchman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:25 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:

We will try our best to make Hong Kong Coliseum ready for this. :o :nod:
Are you fans of the team or the player?
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,775

Post#206 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:19 am

NowWHYcee7 wrote:Trump is right. Popovich and Kerr talk a good game but when it comes down to it they are about their money, ie; they don't give a **** about human rights...at least the Donald keeps it real. **** China.

Yes. Donald Trump is much more truthful and real than Pops. Absolutely. Donald Trump might just might be the most truthful and authentic human that God has created to be his instrument.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,173

Post#207 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:27 pm

NowWHYcee7 wrote:Trump is right. Popovich and Kerr talk a good game but when it comes down to it they are about their money, ie; they don't give a **** about human rights...at least the Donald keeps it real. **** China.

If keeping it real means standing on the WH lawn in front of the press and asking China to investigate a political rival, then he really is something.
Blockwatcher
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,174

Post#208 » by Blockwatcher » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:29 pm

I wonder if this will carry into the season? People handing out shirts before a preseason game. Signs being taken away. Wonder how long it will take for teams to cancel those "chinese heritage nights" they do during the season?
1 John 2 : 15-17
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#209 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:39 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:

If keeping it real means standing on the WH lawn in front of the press and asking China to investigate a political rival, then he really is something.

The best Clyde! The best!
NowWHYcee7
Bench Warmer
And1: 955

Post#210 » by NowWHYcee7 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:58 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:

[DJ CLUE] You can't impeach the president[/DJ CLUE]

You don't have to be a Trump fanboy to see that Kerr, Popovich and the bubble gum brand of activism that sports celebrities engage in these days is pure hypocrisy. You listen to these guys you'd swear the United States is a totalitarian regime. To be quite honest we should have never sought to export Basketball to those clowns over there, they don't deserve it. China is a temporarily restored rolls-royce speeding towards a brick wall. **** em'.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,588

Post#211 » by Stannis » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:21 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:

What I am wondering as well. Some of my right wing cousins are trying to tell me Trump has "balls" putting these tariffs on China.

Before all this chaos, he made an agreement with China to not meddle between them and Hong Kong.

Not to mention, he left the Trans-Pacific partnership before this trade war, which doesn't make sense. We could have made new trade partners. We are still reliant on China.

I'm not saying Kerr and Popovich are heroes by any means. Celebrities and athletes do this all the time. They speak their mind when they want to. But the big difference is.... they aren't politicians. Which is why it's so dumb to compare them to the POTUS.
Free Palestine
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#212 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:47 pm

NowWHYcee7 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

You don't have to be a Trump fanboy to see that Kerr, Popovich and the bubble gum brand of activism that sports celebrities engage in these days is pure hypocrisy. You listen to these guys you'd swear the United States is a totalitarian regime. To be quite honest we should have never sought to export Basketball to those clowns over there, they don't deserve it. China is a temporarily restored rolls-royce speeding towards a brick wall. **** em'.

I guess we'll have to have this topic locked after you came in with your MAGA bullsh*t.

Can't impeach the president? Good times. At least you got it right that the Chinese are an authoritarian country. When is Trump's daughter going to stop dealing with them? Not that every other business here isn't, but let's not pretend.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#213 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:07 pm

NowWHYcee7 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Topic # 1: I can't impeach the president, but congress can. That's pretty basic stuff. Further, a federal judge just shot down notions that you can't touch a sitting president. Again, pretty basic stuff considering the ancient DOJ memo was just that, a memo, not law.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-10-08/trump-tax-return-ruling-could-open-a-door-to-indictment

Further, the NY State grand jury against Trump is in advanced stages. These only proceed if they are going to hand down indictments and proceed they have. The only question is will they seal it and wait or do it sooner.

Topic # 2: I don't disagree that China is a bad faith trading partner on so many levels. The way Trump has handled it however is going to hurt us as much as them. No, it will not revive manufacturing in America outside of some opportunistic machine parts makers who are capitalizing on low inventory for mechanical replacements. The farmers are not being paid the amount of money he claims he's paying them, because well, you know, Trump lies about everything. So, China is a perennial issue to deal with, but the Chinese are smarter than a dolt like Trump and they always outwait their opponents. They'll be there when Trump is gone and the next administration will be left to clean up the mess Trump is making.
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,167

Post#214 » by aq_ua » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:20 pm

I’m pretty sure he was kidding about not being able to impeach. At least I hope that was a joke. It was a joke, right?
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#215 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:21 pm

Stannis wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

What I am wondering as well. Some of my right wing cousins are trying to tell me Trump has "balls" putting these tariffs on China.

Before all this chaos, he made an agreement with China to not meddle between them and Hong Kong.

Not to mention, he left the Trans-Pacific partnership before this trade war, which doesn't make sense. We could have made new trade partners. We are still reliant on China.

I'm not saying Kerr and Popovich are heroes by any means. Celebrities and athletes do this all the time. They speak their mind when they want to. But the big difference is.... they aren't politicians. Which is why it's so dumb to compare them to the POTUS.

Ivanka was granted all kinds of trademarks in China

The Kushner family had a road show in China offering favored immigration status to anyone who invested in their real estate deals.

There is no there there with Trump and the people he is surrounded by other than self-dealing. Anyone who is a sucker enough to believe he is a patriot got their faces smashed in this week when Trump abandoned our strongest allies in the Middle East and now the Turks and Russians are slaughtering the Kurds while ISIS captives will run free to regroup again. What logic is behind that?

He just enabled genocide against our most loyal allies. If this guy will sell them out then how can you trust him with any negotiation? He's clearly insane.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#216 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:23 pm

aq_ua wrote:I’m pretty sure he was kidding about not being able to impeach. At least I hope that was a joke. It was a joke, right?

Hard to say. If someone actually believes Trump has a sincere bone in his body, they might also believe he can't be impeached though I can't imagine where that came from.

I believe their DJ Clue was referring to an old memorandum in the DOJ that opined a sitting President should not be indicted. It never said they can't be indicted. It was merely an internal department opinion, not law of any kind.

And that was about federal indictments more than the actual impeachment process.

And if this person does not understand that, then perhaps they don't understand impeachment. The House indicts, the Senate convicts. If the Senate convicts, then the US Marshalls will drag Trump out of the WH whether he wants to leave or not.

So the indictment and conviction process of impeachment is how you remove a President. Actual indictments can be handed down independently of that process by state and federal courts. The DOJ Memo was warning against federal indictments, but states are not implicated by that and we currently have a NY State Grand Jury preparing to indict Trump and nothing can stop them and he has no presidential privilege or pardoning powers against state charges.

In sum, you can impeach Trump, you can indict him NOW as a sitting president on a federal or state level and nothing about a single memo changes that. It is not law, just a departmental opinion.

The only precedent is nobody has indicted a sitting president before. But that's not law, just something that hasn't happened YET. There's always a first time :wink:
NowWHYcee7
Bench Warmer
And1: 955

Post#217 » by NowWHYcee7 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:32 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
aq_ua wrote:I’m pretty sure he was kidding about not being able to impeach. At least I hope that was a joke. It was a joke, right?

Hard to say. If someone actually believes Trump has a sincere bone in his body, they might also believe he can't be impeached though I can't imagine where that came from.

I believe their DJ Clue was referring to an old memorandum in the DOJ that opined a sitting President should not be indicted. It never said they can't be indicted. It was merely an internal department opinion, not law of any kind.

And that was about federal indictments more than the actual impeachment process.

And if this person does not understand that, then perhaps they don't understand impeachment. The House indicts, the Senate convicts. If the Senate convicts, then the US Marshalls will drag Trump out of the WH whether he wants to leave or not.

So the indictment and conviction process of impeachment is how you remove a President. Actual indictments can be handed down independently of that process by state and federal courts. The DOJ Memo was warning against federal indictments, but states are not implicated by that and we currently have a NY State Grand Jury preparing to indict Trump and nothing can stop them and he has no presidential privilege or pardoning powers against state charges.

In sum, you can impeach Trump, you can indict him NOW as a sitting president on a federal or state level and nothing about a single memo changes that. It is not law, just a departmental opinion.

The only precedent is nobody has indicted a sitting president before. But that's not law, just something that hasn't happened YET. There's always a first time :wink:

You really over analyzing a joke referencing an old mixtape series from the 90’s by Dj Clue? Hilarious.

Bottom line though is that Trump isn’t going anywhere, he’s either going to win another term or be defeated, but it’s apparent to anyone with a brain that the democrats are grasping for straws, first with the Russia crap, now with Ukraine.

Trump represents the failing American society we currently live in, where celebrities and social media activists foist an alternate reality on to the populace. Even then, he isn’t worse than bush jr, and we would be worse off with Clinton. He just happens to say some real **** sometimes, and calling out Kerr and Popovich and all these other cowards in the NBA kissing up to a dictatorship all because of money is refreshing. Maybe this is why they shouldn’t get mad when they get told to shut up and dribble....cause when it’s time to stand up for some real ****, they fold.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#218 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:16 pm

NowWHYcee7 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

You really over analyzing a joke referencing an old mixtape series from the 90’s by Dj Clue? Hilarious.

Bottom line though is that Trump isn’t going anywhere, he’s either going to win another term or be defeated, but it’s apparent to anyone with a brain that the democrats are grasping for straws, first with the Russia crap, now with Ukraine.

Trump represents the failing American society we currently live in, where celebrities and social media activists foist an alternate reality on to the populace. Even then, he isn’t worse than bush jr, and we would be worse off with Clinton. He just happens to say some real **** sometimes, and calling out Kerr and Popovich and all these other cowards in the NBA kissing up to a dictatorship all because of money is refreshing. Maybe this is why they shouldn’t get mad when they get told to shut up and dribble....cause when it’s time to stand up for some real ****, they fold.

Sounds semi-Maga-ish
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 125,998

Post#219 » by god shammgod » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:21 pm

trump can be right about kerr being scared and also be a hypocrite and an absolute lunatic. crazy people can occasionally say something truthful. wingo does.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#220 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:12 pm

NowWHYcee7 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Since you choose to ignore basic facts, I'd say reality is not one of your strengths.

And mocking anyone for not knowing who DJ Clue was is the only thing hilarious here

Return to New York Knicks