ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Hong Kong, China, United States and NBA

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,335

Re: OT: Hong Kong, China, United States and NBA 

Post#281 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:28 am

watchmen77 wrote:
cgmw wrote:
aq_ua wrote:In other words, if moral high ground were the minimum requirement to point out blatant faults in others, we’d have a society with pretty much no oversight. Strange arguments seem the norm now.

The honest answer would have been:

“Sorry, I will not speak freely of my personal political beliefs because I value and enjoy the benefits of continued employment—including my house, my kids’ tuition, my family vacations, and my ever-growing retirement fund.”

Instead Kerr’s lies risk proselytizing younger/ less-educated listeners into dismissing social issues in China.

well, who cares? maybe it is best to let Chinese deal with their own issues while we deal with ours? Already approved by facts, that many time when we try to get involved with other people's issues, their home burned to ground.
So just let them be and maybe, just maybe, we can live in a better world.

Excuse us, but Hong Kong and Taiwan are not just a Chinese problem. If China establishes authoritarian rule in Hong Kong, they will go after Taiwan too when the time is right. It sure as hell does matter to the world what happens there, just like it does matter that our strongest allies in the fight against ISIS were just thrown to the wolves and now there are cell breaks of high level ISIS detainees dispersing as U.S. troops withdraw with no advance planning. ISIS will now regroup. I suppose nothing matters outside our borders then.
SmoothLefty21
Starter
And1: 2,410

Post#282 » by SmoothLefty21 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:29 am

mpharris36 wrote:
Read on Twitter

a difficult week huh....wonder how all those oppressed in China right now feel about LeBrons "difficult" week.

Clown show

Translation: speak out as long as it doesn't inconvenience my pampered, easy life.

LeBron has always been a phony with a paper-thin facade who lacks self-awareness when it comes to this stuff but this is unbelievably bad. I am stunned that those words actually came out of his mouth. This is going to blow up beyond belief. One of the most hypocritical moments I've ever witnessed from a sports star.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,712

Post#283 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:32 am

SmoothLefty21 wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Read on Twitter

a difficult week huh....wonder how all those oppressed in China right now feel about LeBrons "difficult" week.

Clown show

Translation: speak out as long as it doesn't inconvenience my pampered, easy life.

LeBron has always been a phony with a paper-thin facade who lacks self-awareness when it comes to this stuff but this is unbelievably bad. I am stunned that those words actually came out of his mouth. This is going to blow up beyond belief. One of the most hypocritical moments I've ever witnessed from a sports star.

What an entitled life some people have.
Free Palestine
watchmen77
Bench Warmer
And1: 27

Post#284 » by watchmen77 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:32 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Wow, SMH @ Lebron. I guess the people of Hong Kong don't pay his bills

yeah, it's pathetic. there is no other way to describe it.

You're right to post that as an example of hypocrisy, but it feels like it goes even further. Lecturing people on the spiritual value of their words when he's just code talking about don't mess with my money, I mean damn, really? This guy is so selfish. He's made so much money already, I just have no words for the contempt I feel for Lebron right now. I'd respect him more if he just came right out and said F HK, there's money at stake

I am sorry but you are really in no position to ask anyone to give up real money for something that he doesn't really care. Yes, i said, who give a Fu** about HK people? deal with your own problem while we deal with ours, if someone really cares so much about HK, maybe you can buy a ticket and fly there to join whatever they do down there. In a free society, such as ours, anyone can have their own view about things and they don't need to do a sh** if they don't agree with or care about. You know, many times, when we got involved with other people's issues, their home burned to ground, so maybe we should just take care ours while they take care theirs.
What's sad to me is that we could have had them BOTH. Harvard learning from one of the GOAT.

Now we have Fat learning from Drunk.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,335

Post#285 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:34 am

watchmen77 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

You're right to post that as an example of hypocrisy, but it feels like it goes even further. Lecturing people on the spiritual value of their words when he's just code talking about don't mess with my money, I mean damn, really? This guy is so selfish. He's made so much money already, I just have no words for the contempt I feel for Lebron right now. I'd respect him more if he just came right out and said F HK, there's money at stake

I am sorry but you are really in no position to ask anyone to give up real money for something that he doesn't really care. Yes, i said, who give a Fu** about HK people? deal with your own problem while we deal with ours, if someone really cares so much about HK, maybe you can buy a ticket and fly there to join whatever they do down there. In a free society, such as ours, anyone can have their own view about things and they don't need to do a sh** if they don't agree with or care about. You know, many times, when we got involved with other people's issues, their home burned to ground, so maybe we should just take care ours while they take care theirs.

Keyboard man? really. Get a life pal

Ignored
watchmen77
Bench Warmer

Post#286 » by watchmen77 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:38 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
watchmen77 wrote:
cgmw wrote:The honest answer would have been:

“Sorry, I will not speak freely of my personal political beliefs because I value and enjoy the benefits of continued employment—including my house, my kids’ tuition, my family vacations, and my ever-growing retirement fund.”

Instead Kerr’s lies risk proselytizing younger/ less-educated listeners into dismissing social issues in China.

well, who cares? maybe it is best to let Chinese deal with their own issues while we deal with ours? Already approved by facts, that many time when we try to get involved with other people's issues, their home burned to ground.

Excuse us, but Hong Kong and Taiwan are not just a Chinese problem. If China establishes authoritarian rule in Hong Kong, they will go after Taiwan too when the time is right. It sure as hell does matter to the world what happens there, just like it does matter that our strongest allies in the fight against ISIS were just thrown to the wolves and now there are cell breaks of high level ISIS detainees dispersing as U.S. troops withdraw with no advance planning. ISIS will now regroup. I suppose nothing matters outside our borders then.

Well, who cares? it is still a Chinese problem. Maybe USA can save some money and make, you know, USA great again? My god, just let them be while we can use money, you know, maybe, just maybe, improve the god dam subway in our NY City? yayaya ISIS, will, maybe just let middle east people deal with them by themselves, oh ya, if we didn't go into Irq at the first place, ISIS may not even exist, how about this? just leave other people be while we, you know, improve our own country? oh ya, there won't be a world war three, we all have nukes, if we are all going to die, let's improve ourselves first.
What's sad to me is that we could have had them BOTH. Harvard learning from one of the GOAT.

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,688

Post#287 » by mpharris36 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:38 am

watchmen77 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

you know that's completely contradictory...right?
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
watchmen77
Bench Warmer

Post#288 » by watchmen77 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:41 am

mpharris36 wrote:
watchmen77 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Not really, you know, other people, also have rights to ask us to Not get involved. Now, are you saying Chinese people cannot wait for USA to get involved with their own issues? if you truly believe that, well, good luck with life.

watchmen77
Bench Warmer

Post#289 » by watchmen77 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:42 am

mpharris36 wrote:
watchmen77 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Not really, you know, other people, also have rights to ask us to Not get involved. Now, are you saying Chinese people cannot wait for USA to get involved with their own issues? if you truly believe that, well, good luck with life.

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#290 » by mpharris36 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:46 am

watchmen77 wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
watchmen77 wrote:

man stop making excuses for LeBron he is protecting his $1 Billion liftime contract with Nike...thats it and thats all. He can speak on political and equality issues when its convenient to him but when it would completely effect his wallet he stays quiet and tells Morey...who to basically "shut up and be a GM" goes against everything he's supposedly stood for.

ROSTER

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#291 » by mpharris36 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:48 am

god shammgod wrote:didn't they do the math and figure out that, if china completely pulled out of the nba, all it basically would do is return to salaries commensurate with the last cba ?

Lebron has a 1 Billion dollar nike life long contract...he's protecting his personal interests here and basically throwing his entire moral compass out the window....for that green.

ROSTER

aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,217

Post#292 » by aq_ua » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:48 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
watchmen77 wrote:
cgmw wrote:The honest answer would have been:

It is hard to imagine anything - I mean anything - that happens within one border can be completely contained in the world we live in today. Even antiglobalisation movements recognize the importance of engagement with foreign governments and maintain global integration. That means dealing with and taking positions on tough issues like this. By the way, this does not mean the US needs to somehow occupy or dominate every situation either. It can, in this geopolitical environment, play an exclusively balancing of power role that influences and supports rather than as a direct actor, one that it has been effective in the past. Why anyone would not want that (outside of the forces that the US seeks to balance against) is a mystery to me.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#293 » by mpharris36 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:52 am

Read on Twitter

i hate the player but the guy has a backbone...can't say the same for Lebron

ROSTER

NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,519

Post#294 » by NYKnickerbocker » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:01 am

Damn bron lol, was better off just staying quiet
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,210

Post#295 » by seren » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:06 am

Lebron statement is weak. It is weaker than any other. I sort of get what the league was doing. Silver didn't apologize for the tweet. He didn't back track. He said sorry you felt that way which is not an apology. He also acknowledged there will be financial consequences for the league which is expected. Pop was right supporting Silver. Kerr's comments are also understandable since his dad was killed by Palestinians. This Lebron comments are BS. He should have let it go unless he was going to stand for free speech.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,978

Post#296 » by Stannis » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:06 am

Jeez that LBJ tweet was hard to read... Kerr's comments were even better than that
Free Palestine
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,217

Post#297 » by aq_ua » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:11 am

Stannis wrote:Jeez that LBJ tweet was hard to read... Kerr's comments were even better than that

I miss the days when I didn't have access to people's brain diarrhea.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 127,040

Post#298 » by god shammgod » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:13 am

mpharris36 wrote:
watchmen77 wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

man stop making excuses for LeBron he is protecting his $1 Billion liftime contract with Nike...thats it and thats all. He can speak on political and equality issues when its convenient to him but when it would completely effect his wallet he stays quiet and tells Morey...who to basically "shut up and be a GM" goes against everything he's supposedly stood for.

this is the biggest problem. you want to protect your money, cool, say no comment. to lecture morey like this...i don't know man. this is a terrible look. and this may have the opposite effect he's looking for. it's likely to reignite this issue which would probably have just gone away.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,119

Post#299 » by blueNorange » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:13 am

this is not a good look for lebron or the league, wouldn't even be shocked if lebron voted for trump.

the rich just want to stay rich
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#300 » by blanko » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:46 am

Btw isn't AOC and Bernie minimal on this issue also? Well it makes sense, they would not go against a true socialist regime.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Return to New York Knicks