ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the Offseason, Take 2

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Re: Around the Offseason, Take 2 

Post#441 » by malik959 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:21 pm

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,070

Post#442 » by GONYK » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:02 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
GONYK wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Admittedly, I didn't follow Randle's career closely but I do remember when he was with the Lakers that many posters here thought he was was an excellent defender because he could switch easily onto wings. What happened?

He was never excellent. He had just gotten to the point where he wasn't a clear negative. Let's say he was slightly above average.

And that was only when he was playing the 5.

Then I guess I wasn’t referring to you. I know I have an intimate writing style but don’t be fooled by that.

OK.

Those people were wrong
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,086

Post#443 » by stuporman » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:05 am

Wow, Boogie's big body isn't helping him stay healthy. I doubt KD has the same struggle recovering because he's a light body. His burst and quickness might be effected but he's so skilled and tall he'll still be able to produce at a high level even if his body has limitations.... health dependent of course.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,830

Post#444 » by Adelheid » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:25 am

Holy schit now its reported to be torn acl. Boogie should have taken that 2/40 contract from NO
Ryusoulger
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#445 » by Ryusoulger » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:53 am

Stannis wrote:
Ryusoulger wrote:I mean some knicks haters would talk(they talk anyway) but the majority would see KD and Kyrie as a turnaround for the knicks organization

The nets were laughed at, stepped on, pushed up, slapped, look at what one average winning season did for us and how the perception changed??

Media speaking the nets are way more respected than the knicks even though we started the decade in a worse situation than y’all

The majority would not see a post-Achilles injury KD and Kyrie as a turn around. Hell, the NYK fanbase in itself was like 50 50 on signing Durant after the injury.

And 80% of the fanbase only wanted Kyrie if it meant getting Durant and 15% did not want him at all. This was before the KD injury. Afterwards, most fans were at peace with Kyrie being a Net.

Just saying, if the NYK fanbase was so split on these two players, I don't see how the majority of the media would be like "great turnaround by the Knicks, they really did it".

I disagree, the Nets, who were considered the little brothers, went from a laughing stock to being taken seriously. The signings of KD and Kyrie would have did wonders for the Knicks but thats past now. The signings the knicks made remind me of the old school NYK. Tough and griddy dudes that can be assets in the future for a star player
stuporman
RealGM

Post#446 » by stuporman » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:18 am

Signing Kyrie and KD would have been a disaster for the Knicks and sure the Nets won the press conference but their fans will get to 'enjoy' their treadmill team for a few years.
Image?
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,323

Post#447 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:58 am

stuporman wrote:Signing Kyrie and KD would have been a disaster for the Knicks and sure the Nets won the press conference but their fans will get to 'enjoy' their treadmill team for a few years.

Nets got a boost in ticket sales and maybe, just maybe, they'll get one year of playoff fun while KD and Kyrie are healthy at the same time, but they are so unlikely to be a championship caliber team with those two that it won't really matter in the end. The reality will likely be a pale version of the temporary endorphin hit some Nets fans got from signing them.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#448 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:00 am

malik959 wrote:

Every clip I see of DSJr looks like so good, I'm now actually hyped to see him this season. His jumper is wet and totally unrecognizable from his past form.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,710

Post#449 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:03 am

Capn'O wrote:Damn Boogie can't catch a break

Maybe he doesn’t keep himself in the shape he needs to be in?
Free Palestine
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,309

Post#450 » by DOT » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:14 am

Ryusoulger wrote:
Stannis wrote:
Ryusoulger wrote:I mean some knicks haters would talk(they talk anyway) but the majority would see KD and Kyrie as a turnaround for the knicks organization

The nets were laughed at, stepped on, pushed up, slapped, look at what one average winning season did for us and how the perception changed??

Media speaking the nets are way more respected than the knicks even though we started the decade in a worse situation than y’all

The majority would not see a post-Achilles injury KD and Kyrie as a turn around. Hell, the NYK fanbase in itself was like 50 50 on signing Durant after the injury.

And 80% of the fanbase only wanted Kyrie if it meant getting Durant and 15% did not want him at all. This was before the KD injury. Afterwards, most fans were at peace with Kyrie being a Net.

Just saying, if the NYK fanbase was so split on these two players, I don't see how the majority of the media would be like "great turnaround by the Knicks, they really did it".

I disagree, the Nets, who were considered the little brothers, went from a laughing stock to being taken seriously. The signings of KD and Kyrie would have did wonders for the Knicks but thats past now. The signings the knicks made remind me of the old school NYK. Tough and griddy dudes that can be assets in the future for a star player

*Are
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,309

Post#451 » by DOT » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:26 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
stuporman wrote:Signing Kyrie and KD would have been a disaster for the Knicks and sure the Nets won the press conference but their fans will get to 'enjoy' their treadmill team for a few years.

Nets got a boost in ticket sales and maybe, just maybe, they'll get one year of playoff fun while KD and Kyrie are healthy at the same time, but they are so unlikely to be a championship caliber team with those two that it won't really matter in the end. The reality will likely be a pale version of the temporary endorphin hit some Nets fans got from signing them.

I think the Nets have done a very good job of building a team when you consider how bleak they looked just 3 years ago

With that being said, I don't really expect it to work out for them. Like, being real they have a pretty nice squad around Kyrie and KD, lots of very quality role players, but KD's gonna miss all of next year, and Kyrie always has some nagging injury, so for likely almost a quarter of the season their #1 guy is gonna be like, Dinwiddie. Who's a fine player, but isn't close to being a #1. Atkinson is a good coach and can get the most out of his guys, so that won't be super terrible, but it's still not ideal.

Plus, Kyrie doesn't exactly have a great track record as a leader. And then when KD gets back, he won't be the same. I know people like to say, "but it was his right foot," but there's really not that much science to that when you think about it. Like, look at the difference in Gordon Hayward. KD likely will never be the same again, plus there's always gonna be injury concerns especially because he also already broke his right foot.

I think they'll be a good team, but they're gonna struggle to get to the top unless Kyrie goes nuclear or something and KD comes back perfectly fine
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#452 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:33 am

K-DOT wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

I think the Nets have done a very good job of building a team when you consider how bleak they looked just 3 years ago

With that being said, I don't really expect it to work out for them. Like, being real they have a pretty nice squad around Kyrie and KD, lots of very quality role players, but KD's gonna miss all of next year, and Kyrie always has some nagging injury, so for likely almost a quarter of the season their #1 guy is gonna be like, Dinwiddie. Who's a fine player, but isn't close to being a #1. Atkinson is a good coach and can get the most out of his guys, so that won't be super terrible, but it's still not ideal.

Plus, Kyrie doesn't exactly have a great track record as a leader. And then when KD gets back, he won't be the same. I know people like to say, "but it was his right foot," but there's really not that much science to that when you think about it. Like, look at the difference in Gordon Hayward. KD likely will never be the same again, plus there's always gonna be injury concerns especially because he also already broke his right foot.

I think they'll be a good team, but they're gonna struggle to get to the top unless Kyrie goes nuclear or something and KD comes back perfectly fine

I think the Nets FO did a bang-up job aside from signing the dynamic duo, Flat Earth & Hobbles
Ryusoulger
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#453 » by Ryusoulger » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:38 am

K-DOT wrote:
Ryusoulger wrote:
Stannis wrote:The majority would not see a post-Achilles injury KD and Kyrie as a turn around. Hell, the NYK fanbase in itself was like 50 50 on signing Durant after the injury.

*Are

Were*.
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,831

Post#454 » by spree2kawhi » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:59 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Capn'O wrote:Damn Boogie can't catch a break

Maybe he doesn’t keep himself in the shape he needs to be in?

He probably doesn't, but bumping knees and tearing an ACL has nothing to do with that though.
stuporman
RealGM

Post#455 » by stuporman » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:22 am

Clyde_Style wrote:

They built a scrappy team in short order through talent evaluation and good coaching from a pretty difficult situation and then they did the Knicksy thing. They let go of their best young player who lead them to the playoffs and went star chasing on a couple of guys who have their issues.

The KD of the past few years can lead a team in the east to the finals even with just Kyrie surrounded by a well constructed and coached team. Kyrie is a second round exit at best without him but will the Nets ever get anything resembling a prime KD and how long if at all.
Image?
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,976

Post#456 » by Stannis » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:15 pm

Ryusoulger wrote:
Stannis wrote:

I disagree, the Nets, who were considered the little brothers, went from a laughing stock to being taken seriously. The signings of KD and Kyrie would have did wonders for the Knicks but thats past now.

That's to be determined. But two things are for sure. Knicks FO did not want Kyrie running the locker room while KD was away. This is known. Two, Knicks were very hesitant to offer a KD a max post injury. You don't hear this in the media or from general NBA fans. You just hear, "lol they lost KD and Kyrie to the Nets".

Side note, Nets are still considered "the little brothers" and that's being generous. Every article or piece associates them with the Knicks.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,976

Post#457 » by Stannis » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:18 pm

stuporman wrote:They built a scrappy team in short order through talent evaluation and good coaching from a pretty difficult situation and then they did the Knicksy thing. They let go of their best young player who lead them to the playoffs and went star chasing on a couple of guys who have their issues.
This is how I feel.

They didn't stay their course. And changed their game plan trying "take the city". That's never going to happen, and I'm not sure why that means so much to them.
Free Palestine
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,337

Post#458 » by iLLmatic860 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:23 pm

Stannis wrote:
stuporman wrote:They built a scrappy team in short order through talent evaluation and good coaching from a pretty difficult situation and then they did the Knicksy thing. They let go of their best young player who lead them to the playoffs and went star chasing on a couple of guys who have their issues.
This is how I feel.

They didn't stay their course. And changed their game plan trying "take the city". That's never going to happen, and I'm not sure why that means so much to them.

I think thats media driven tbh. I dont see anybody in real life saying Brooklyn is taking over New York.
shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,691

Post#459 » by shtolky » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:18 pm

Ryusoulger wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
Ryusoulger wrote:

*Are

Were*.

There is a reason why the Knicks are mentioned literally every time someone mentions the Nets. That's not to take away from the fact that the Nets have done a wonderful job coming back from the Boston trade, but it's pretty clear they are still the little brothers of NYC, it's not even close really.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,337

Post#460 » by iLLmatic860 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:22 pm

Ryusoulger wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
Ryusoulger wrote:

*Are

Were*.

For somebody to have just “turned the corner” and sign Kd and Kyrie you seem pretty insecure lol

Return to New York Knicks