ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the Offseason, Take 2

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Re: Around the Offseason, Take 2 

Post#841 » by HEZI » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:32 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:
HEZI wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
David Robinson led his team to the Land of Rings. AD ain't done shyt.

More like he rode Tim Duncan to a championship at the age of 33 during a lockout season right after MJ retired and the Bulls got dismantled

Yes David Robinson was a great player but lets not overrate the dude li :oops: :evil: ke he was on some other level than Anthony Davis who has yet to even hit his prime yet

I don't remember Robinson taking the Spurs anywhere before the year they tanked for Duncan

They were contenders with him and he was the MVP.

No they weren't
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,923

Post#842 » by god shammgod » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:47 pm

David Robinson would be Ewing without Duncan. In fact, Ewing was a little better.
kingquan316
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,341

Post#843 » by kingquan316 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:47 pm

HEZI wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:
HEZI wrote:
More like he rode Tim Duncan to a championship at the age of 33 during a lockout season right after MJ retired and the Bulls got dismantled

Yes David Robinson was a great player but lets not overrate the dude li :oops: :evil: ke he was on some other level than Anthony Davis who has yet to even hit his prime yet

I don't remember Robinson taking the Spurs anywhere before the year they tanked for Duncan

They were contenders with him and he was the MVP.

No they weren't

They were contenders during 95 season, Davis would be looked at in much higher regard if he had even a season like Robinson did in 95 (and Robinson was ridiculed for being killed by Hakeem during that WCF series). Davis can be better than Robinson, he's still young, but the Admiral was a beast now, there is no argument until Davis proves it.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#844 » by HEZI » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:15 pm

kingquan316 wrote:
HEZI wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:They were contenders with him and he was the MVP.

No they weren't

They were contenders during 95 season, Davis would be looked at in much higher regard if he had even a season like Robinson did in 95 (and Robinson was ridiculed for being killed by Hakeem during that WCF series). Davis can be better than Robinson, he's still young, but the Admiral was a beast now, there is no argument until Davis proves it.

More like pretenders

Robinson was like 24 when he entered the league and Davis is still only 25 or 26 right now. There absolutely is an argument when talking about is he on that level. Look at their skill sets and the answer is easy, he absolutely is
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,320

Post#845 » by iLLmatic860 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:24 pm

Ad vs the admiral is debatable but Hakeem is clearly better
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,375
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#846 » by BKlutch » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:24 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
JXL wrote:Look at these team rankings for NBA 2K20. I really thought the Knicks would be lower. They're ahead of the Pistons.

https://hoopshype.com/nba2k/teams/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-latest-news

That will change after the Pistons sign Michael Beasley

Isn't he still a walking bucket?

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,639

Post#847 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:51 pm

BKlutch wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
JXL wrote:Look at these team rankings for NBA 2K20. I really thought the Knicks would be lower. They're ahead of the Pistons.

https://hoopshype.com/nba2k/teams/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-latest-news

Not even a police officer can stop Michael Beasley.

Beasley had a bad year last season. But I just found out that his mom died last season and that it really adversely impacted his game.
Free Palestine
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,047

Post#848 » by GONYK » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:53 pm

BKlutch wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

He's had the hot hand since January 9, 1989
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#849 » by BKlutch » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:54 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Not even a police officer can stop Michael Beasley

I know he wasn't a kid who needed developing but he was a talented guy for relatively few $$ who always came to play, and he was better than most of the guys we put on the floor each night. Of course, his upside is limited, but he makes a good bench player for a team with a talented group of starters. He was zany and not at all unlikeable, so I always wish him well.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,639

Post#850 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:09 pm

BKlutch wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
BKlutch wrote:Isn't he still a walking bucket?

Not even a police officer can stop Michael Beasley

I know he wasn't a kid who needed developing but he was a talented guy for relatively few $$ who always came to play, and he was better than most of the guys we put on the floor each night. Of course, his upside is limited, but he makes a good bench player for a team with a talented group of starters. He was zany and not at all unlikeable, so I always wish him well.

I loved having Beasley on the team. I know others here would mock me and my comments praising the many talents of the Beas. The following game is among my Top 20 favorite Knicks games since 1967. For this alone, he should have his number retired. :D

Free Palestine
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#851 » by BKlutch » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:10 pm

I just want to say that I'm really happy we can discuss Dot these days from the point of view of his talent and what he brings to the game. Dot had a board troll in the past who often derailed these discussions. This is so nice, and again, I want to repeat what Wingo said about Spencer's analysis - really good.

Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,517

Post#852 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:30 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
We’re gonna have to agree to disagree about the opening line. I think without a doubt he’s the best big man in the NBA.

You can’t count last season when they weren’t even playing him to make sure he didn’t get injured. Look at the other seasons. His teams have been ravaged by injuries and terrible management decisions. How are those teams supposed to make it in the buzzsaw that is the West?

Also, I said by the time his career is done. I didn’t say right now. 10 years from now if he adds some rings he’s going to be in the convo at the minimum.

So were KG's teams until they surrounded him and Wally with Spree and Cassell. The West was stacked then too. I'm not even talking about making noise in the Western playoffs anyway, just leading the Pelicans to the postseason.

We can disagree of course but I think Jokic and Embiid are far more impactful players than Davis. They apply pressure and make opposing defenses collapse in a way that I have yet to see from AD. I also believe they have better intangibles and their impact goes beyond their boxscore numbers. You mention injuries but let's not forget that Jokic kept the Nuggets afloat and even led them to the top of the Western Conference while his team suffered a plethora of injuries last season. Denver had better reserves yes, but it doesn't excuse AD for missing the playoffs entirely so many times (5 out of 7 seasons). They weren't playing AD last year because he made his trade demand public, which means the repercussions were completely self-inflicted so I'm not gonna throw a pity party... I believe they were out of the playoff picture already regardless.

The Pelicans record the past few seasons is more of a reflection of where Jrue ranks among NBA guards, less so AD. That's because Jrue has far more impact on his team winning and losing than AD does, and that in and of itself is an indictment on AD. That's just my theory. AD doesn't make his teammates better and is still far too reliant on his teammates as a scorer. He doesn't dictate pace or control the game offensively. I think he's an elite second option on a championship team, but nowhere near a "best player on a title team" type guy, and that's what it takes to be one of if not the best big ever.

We shall see how things play out in LA. I'm aware he might still reach another level, I just don't see greatness in him.

You can honestly go with any of AD Jokic Embid and make a good argument for they’re the best big man in the NBA. Good to see the resurgence of the big man after the premature declarations that they were obsolete.

Most definitely, it’s refreshing and it’s good for the game.
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#853 » by BKlutch » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:36 pm

The NBA Live Scores and Odds and the bottom of each page show the Celts -5.5 over the Sixers and the Wolves -4.5 over the Brooklyns. I'm a little surprised, are the Celts really better than the Sixers now?

Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,503

Post#854 » by Fat Kat » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:42 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,268

Post#855 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:18 pm

^ Thanks for that. The whole mid-range is dead or useless arguments are so FOS. Basketball without solid mid-range options and execution is losing ball and also boring AF.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,305

Post#856 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:36 pm

I mean, analytics this and analytics that, but isn't a "good shot" one that a player is good at making?

I mean, if a guy is taking long 2's that are almost 3's, I get that being a little dumb, but a mid range shot? Why not? IF they player is adept.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,517

Post#857 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:22 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:I mean, analytics this and analytics that, but isn't a "good shot" one that a player is good at making?

I mean, if a guy is taking long 2's that are almost 3's, I get that being a little dumb, but a mid range shot? Why not? IF they player is adept.

It's still the least efficient shot in basketball.

The value of the midrange shot increases in the playoffs though, as teams face elite defenses that take away your most efficient shots and force you to adjust your shot chart. I thought the MIL-TOR match-up in the ECF was a prime example of that. One team was able to adjust and survive by hitting midrange shots at an efficient clip (Kawhi helps), the other was completely lost without its bread-and-butter.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,503

Post#858 » by Fat Kat » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:54 pm

I asked the trusty Basketball-Reference gurus to run some numbers for me, and what they found was interesting. The team that wins the 3FGM column over the last decade has a win percentage of .648 in those games. This season, that win percentage is .640 and has been in decline as 3-point attempts have gone way up.

In fact, the 3-point column is essentially no more predictive than it was a decade ago

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/nba-insider-tom-haberstroh/lies-damned-lies-and-statistics-confusing-analytics-nbas-3-point?amp
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,305

Post#859 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:02 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:I mean, analytics this and analytics that, but isn't a "good shot" one that a player is good at making?

The value of the midrange shot increases in the playoffs though, as teams face elite defenses that take away your most efficient shots and force you to adjust your shot chart. I thought the MIL-TOR match-up in the ECF was a prime example of that. One team was able to adjust and survive by hitting midrange shots at an efficient clip (Kawhi helps), the other was completely lost without its bread-and-butter.

That's my point, in part. If a player is good at it, there's nothing wrong with it. I remember Greg Anthony. I mean, not a great offensive player, but he was a decent 3 point shooter. I forget about mid range. I do remember he SUCKED at making layups. That's a case of a "great shot" not being so great.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#860 » by dakomish23 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:24 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:

If Giannis ever gets that midrange going, watch out
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit

Return to New York Knicks