ImageImageImageImageImage

I love our YUTES...

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Re: I love our youths... 

Post#61 » by whocares1 » Mon Aug 5, 2019 2:16 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Capn'O wrote:Mitch is our best player, imo, and he and RJ are two of the better young players in the league. I'm curious to see who else rises to the top as keepers this year.

Everyone likes to crap on Knox - well, at least a sizable number of posters, and he has his flaws *defense cough cough*, but I think he has a lot of positive attributes for a really young player. I mean, he played his entire first year at 19, after ONE college season.

Discounting the obvious issues on defense, his offense was not bad and I think actually pretty good for a ROOKIE. Did he get some tunnel vision? Sure. Did he miss more layups than we'd all like? Sure. Could he have shot a better percentage from outside? I suppose.

But rewatch some whole games or watch a few clips, and even at 19, Knox has quite a few things about him that say "professional scorer".
He shot coming off curls (though in Fiz's offense, not enough), he hit contested 3's, 3's off the dribble, step back 3's, mid range jumpers, drives the ball well, though obviously gets knocked off his spot a bit due to strength issues, and has the ability, since college, to hit a floater/push shot from just about anywhere from 12 feet on in - which is something some players never get, or takes a while. The form on his jumper is solid and he's not just a spot up shooter.

It's interesting how people take the talent level on the young players for granted. It's this weird draft related thing, like he they aren't superstars, they are immediately scrubs. It's weird.

Maybe he'll be a bench guy - that's up for debate, but if the Knicks got a rotational scorer - one of the first 2 guys off the bench, at 8th in the draft, that's ok.

Obviously, they need to hit it BIG on a pick at some point. Will it be RJ? Or Mitch? Or some future guy? Who knows.

I'm optimistic about Knox though. On the offensive end, at least.

Knox shot like 35% from the floor last season. On both sides of the ball he was atrocious, but in January he looked virtually unstoppable at times on that end especially on the break. I think the most promising thing with Knox offensively is that a majority of his looks come from the outside and he has pretty good fundamentals on his jump shot. That shot should eventually fall for him and he might become a very potent offensive force factoring his size as well.

The defense though doesn’t seem very fixable because it isn’t a matter of effort. I can see him shoring up issues like missing less rotations and knowing when to stay up on a player but his lateral quickness is bad and most isolation possessions on the perimeter lead to a basket by the other team because Knox is scared of getting beat to the rim. He has slow feet, but I believe he will one day be efficient enough offensively that he’ll be worth hiding on the defensive end eventually.
Context
RealGM
And1: 11,880

Re: I love our YUTES... 

Post#62 » by Context » Mon Aug 5, 2019 3:09 pm

RHODEY wrote:

hhaaaaaaa- RJ:"so you my vet now" (RJ on the "shotta" sh*t-pay attention) Knox:"I aint say all that" (he aint haven it) :lol:
Great find Rhod!!!!

I know it took me a while to hit this thread but I love our "Yutes" as well...
Spoiler:
"Against All Odds" "The Watch"
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,587

Post#63 » by Capn'O » Mon Aug 5, 2019 4:04 pm

For sure. Knox can score. If he build up the rest of his game so can stay on the court long enough he likely will develop into a guy that can put up big (20+) scoring numbers. He's got a ways to go though.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Context
RealGM

Post#64 » by Context » Mon Aug 5, 2019 4:15 pm

Capn'O wrote:For sure. Knox can score. If he build up the rest of his game so can stay on the court long enough he likely will develop into a guy that can put up big (20+) scoring numbers. He's got a ways to go though.

Knox bought two more years with me between how he finished last year and hearing his thoughts of late -cap...He's just way too young to give up on for me now-
with what I've seen Cap...I think if he continues to work hard- his floor is a plus starter...
Spoiler:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,587

Post#65 » by Capn'O » Mon Aug 5, 2019 4:17 pm

Context wrote:
Capn'O wrote:For sure. Knox can score. If he build up the rest of his game so can stay on the court long enough he likely will develop into a guy that can put up big (20+) scoring numbers. He's got a ways to go though.

Knox bought two more years with me between how he finished last year and hearing his thoughts of late -cap...He's just way too young to give up on for me now-
with what I've seen Cap...I think if he continues to work hard- his floor is a plus starter...

We absolutely don't give up on him. I'm just not confident in putting a starter/final puzzle piece label on him at this time.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#66 » by malik959 » Mon Aug 5, 2019 6:17 pm

I've said it time and time again Knox was going to suck throughout his rookie year. When we all had discussions on Mile, Mikal, and Knox we all knew Knox was going to take the longest to become an NBA player. Why everyone was upset that he didn't have a great year??? I do not know because we knew he had potential and that his EFFORT would make or break him. But in his 10-15 game he was roughly averaging about 17ppg and his field goal percentage looked good, 3pt percentage sucked of course, but that is expected with the change from college to pro and his strength so of course I would expect inconsistencies. Than his last 15 games he started to really show his potential playing good against teams that were either trying to make the playoffs (Orlando - 21pts 53%), (27pts against Utah, and so forth.

So Knox actually out performed his expectations, for me, because 1) I expected him to come off the bench, 2) avg 9ppg, and 3) averaging a low percentage, because he's a kid in a grown mans game.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,261
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Re: I love our youths... 

Post#67 » by BKlutch » Mon Aug 5, 2019 9:09 pm

KnicksGod wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
Don’t disagree but we should temper this a little I think. Frank has a great personality. Skills are pretty thoroughly scouted so we don’t know if Iggy can even play.

After all the only reason we were able to snag Mitch is because he didn’t play or get scouted :lol:

Early results can be very misleading too. KP went from major talent and wonder boy to kind of a disappointing player who got figured out quite a bit and then a clown too.

Frank?

Iggy was scouted by our front office as a First Round talent who fell to the second round so they spent a mil to move up five spots to grab him so I haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

The book on him going into SL was confirmed almost to the Tee by his play in SL so in fact he played up to the level he was scouted as being able to play at.

I don't know why you posted this TBH, kind of unnecessary advisory to exercise caution.

I know a player who understands how to play the game of basketball when I see one and Iggy is clearly fairly advanced coming out of college and is ready to play in the NBA

I said he could start one day, I just don't know when. That's all the caution I need to demonstrate

Our staff wanted him higher up but that wasn’t the consensus on him. My point is that not all of these guys look as good later as they do early. Also I’m attempting to reverse jinx and you’re interfering.

Toney Douglas. Jerian Grant.

When my wife, who knew nothing of basketball, first came to this country, she saw a game with Toney Douglas. She commented that he appeared to have bad instincts because he always took the ball towards the defenders, who stopped his progress or he lost the ball. If only the Knicks had known this about him. I was so frustrated by him, I hated him as much as people hated Muday - or more.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Context
RealGM

Post#68 » by Context » Mon Aug 5, 2019 9:13 pm

Capn'O wrote:
Context wrote:

We absolutely don't give up on him. I'm just not confident in putting a starter/final puzzle piece label on him at this time.

yeah -me either...thats why I say-"IF"
Spoiler:
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Post#69 » by DrCoach » Mon Aug 5, 2019 9:48 pm

I’m hope Iggy plays more than Bullock and Dotson
Jesus Juice
Bench Warmer
And1: 475

Post#70 » by Jesus Juice » Tue Aug 6, 2019 3:46 am

DrCoach wrote:I’m hope Iggy plays more than Bullock and Dotson

I have to believe with Bullock coming back from surgery, if Iggy is what he has shown us so far he should be firmly ahead of him, especially since we already did him a solid and still signed him after finding out about his injury.
HerSports85
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 28,473

Post#71 » by HerSports85 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 5:02 am

Read on Twitter
BAF: Chicago Bulls
2023 In-season tournament Champs
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,867

Post#72 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Aug 6, 2019 5:29 am

^ pretty weird that they show Payton with his Weekend hairdo
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,451

Post#73 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Aug 6, 2019 5:32 am

Two guys wearing no. 5?
Free Palestine
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#74 » by blueNorange » Tue Aug 6, 2019 5:45 am

the guys the knicks signed may not be defensive minded players at all, but they're tough sob's and that'll just do wonders for the kids.

a week with sheed made mitchell robinson be more vocal, just imagine a full season of having gibson or morris or portis giving you pointers.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#75 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Aug 6, 2019 5:49 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Two guys wearing no. 5?

:lol:

and check out the embedded watermark encoded with a secret message from our lizard overlords
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#76 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Aug 6, 2019 5:55 am

blueNorange wrote:the guys the knicks signed may not be defensive minded players at all, but they're tough sob's and that'll just do wonders for the kids.

a week with sheed made mitchell robinson be more vocal, just imagine a full season of having gibson or morris or portis giving you pointers.

MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#77 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Aug 6, 2019 8:33 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Two guys wearing no. 5?

Lol yeah and where’s Mitch?
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,148

Post#78 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:54 am

80% of this forum in a nutshell:

"I wish the Knicks would draft some young players and develop them"
"These players aren't ready yet? They SUCK!"
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#79 » by dakomish23 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 2:34 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:80% of this forum in a nutshell:

Or

Knicks don't play them

"The 19 yr old is not better than the 10 year guys in front of them right now so they shouldn't play"
"Development has nothing to do with playing time. As long as you do good on the practice court, that's all that matters"
"IDC if he plays b/c he was pick ____ "

either you want the development or you don't. Don't make excuses when the Knicks don't do it
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Jesus Juice
Bench Warmer
And1: 475

Post#80 » by Jesus Juice » Tue Aug 6, 2019 3:10 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:80% of this forum in a nutshell:

Or

Knicks don't play them

"The 19 yr old is not better than the 10 year guys in front of them right now so they shouldn't play"
"Development has nothing to do with playing time. As long as you do good on the practice court, that's all that matters"
"IDC if he plays b/c he was pick ____ "

either you want the development or you don't. Don't make excuses when the Knicks don't do it

I think it’s pretty solid offseason if Perry got free agents that understand they are here to push the development of our young guys.. sounds like Portis understands that he is playing behind Mitch, Knox and Morris will probably compete for that other starting spot but I can’t see starting RJ as a rookie and demoting Knox after a year doing the same.. I think this year it’s short leash season with Perry’s Yutes till they get it..

young guys glued to the bench and we aren’t winning is unacceptable

Return to New York Knicks