ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Spider-Man Just Got Kicked out of the MCU

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,047

OT: Spider-Man Just Got Kicked out of the MCU 

Post#1 » by GONYK » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:38 pm

https://deadline.com/2019/08/kevin-feige-spider-man-franchise-exit-disney-sony-dispute-avengers-endgame-captain-america-winter-soldier-tom-rothman-bob-iger-1202672545/

Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige won’t produce any further Spider-Man films because of an inability by Disney and Sony Pictures to reach new terms that would have given the former a co-financing stake going forward. A dispute that has taken place over the past few months at the top of Disney and Sony has essentially nixed Feige, and the future involvement of Marvel from the Spider-Man universe, sources said.

JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,734

Re: OT: Spider-Man Just Got Kicked out of the MCU 

Post#2 » by JBreezeNY » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:55 pm

Greed.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,438

Post#3 » by RHODEY » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:02 pm

JBreezeNY wrote:Greed.

Spiderman is like the most identifiable Marvel hero...this could signal the beginning of Marvel decline. Oh well at least I got to see my favorites,
Spoiler:
Ironman & Cap
go out like champs.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#4 » by King of Canada » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:22 pm

My spidey senses are telling me that Disney will own Sony Pictures anyway
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#5 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:30 pm

they have so many assets they can walk away from Spider Man

unreal

I think Xmen and Fantastic Four are entering the universe soon
no one will remember spiderman

that said its too bad
that kid was the best Spidey in a long time and he must be super bummed
J9Starks3
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,195

Post#6 » by J9Starks3 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:35 pm

Secret Wars is rumored to be the next phase....no spidey, no iron man.... sad
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,047

Post#7 » by GONYK » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:36 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:they have so many assets they can walk away from Spider Man

unreal

that said its too bad

Tom Holland will still be Spiderman. Just not in Marvel.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,261

Post#8 » by DOT » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:44 pm

Shame, really

Seems like Sony wants a Spiderverse (pun intended), given the fact that they're giving his villains stand alone movies. I could see it working, I didn't think Venom was the worst movie ever, but I have no faith in Sony to pull off anything close to the quality of the MCU

The good news for the MCU is there wasn't slated to be a Spider-Man movie for like 4 years, and they've had to do similar workarounds before, but losing someone who was supposed to be one of the new core if not the main headliner sucks

Maybe the rights thing only extends to Spider-Man movies, and they can still use him in team ups and cameos?
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#9 » by RHODEY » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:47 pm

unreal

that said its too bad

Tell that to Spiderman fans. They could maybe get away with it for a while but not long term IMO. It would be akin to DC bagging Batman.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,261

Post#10 » by DOT » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:54 pm

RHODEY wrote:

unreal

that said its too bad

Tell that to Spiderman fans. They could maybe get away with it for a while but not long term IMO. It would be akin to DC bagging Batman.

Why not?

They built an entire universe without him, without really any of their A-listers. Hulk was the biggest name in the OG Avengers before this all started, and he was barely in the movies relatively. Didn't use any of the X-Men or the Fantastic Four either

As long as they keep making quality movies, it won't matter. People aren't gonna stop going cause Spider-Man isn't in them
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,574

Post#11 » by Butch718 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:04 pm

:lol: at Sony putting out quality movies. :lol:

Marvel will be fine. Sony is going to get sh*tted on hard when their movies bomb due to the enormous backlash that they're receiving.

Honestly, Sony is seriously underestimating how bad this is going to be for them. Marvel has earned the public's trust. Everyone knows how awful Sony's last 3 live action movies were. People keep bringing up how casuals don't care and will watch these movies regardless. I guarantee you that the next Spider-Man movie will go the way of Han Solo, and look how large the SW fan base is. If you piss off an entire fan base, you're going to lose a lot of viewers. And let's get one thing straight, Marvel has one of the largest and most passionate fan bases out there. If you don't think this is going to put a huge dent in their earnings, you're just as tone def as the executives that allowed this travesty to happen.
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,633

Post#12 » by knicksNOTslick » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:19 am

So you think people will watch Spiderman if Sony decides to reboot the character again?

Sony can try to play hard ball all they want. They know this was a bad move. Whatever money they were making off their deal with Disney was more than they can make on a standalone Spiderman movie. Although, I could see them try to create their own Spiderman in the same Marvel universe as Venom.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,639

Post#13 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:07 am

Netflix got rid of Punisher and Daredevil (along with the others which I don't care about). What's this world coming to?
Free Palestine
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#14 » by DowNY » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:11 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Netflix got rid of Punisher and Daredevil (along with the others which I don't care about). What's this world coming to?

Disney+
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#15 » by DowNY » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:14 am

knicksNOTslick wrote:So you think people will watch Spiderman if Sony decides to reboot the character again?

Sony can try to play hard ball all they want. They know this was a bad move. Whatever money they were making off their deal with Disney was more than they can make on a standalone Spiderman movie. Although, I could see them try to create their own Spiderman in the same Marvel universe as Venom.

They’re not rebooting. Tom Holland signed for 2 more movies.
Disney tried to strong arm them after Far From Home became Sony’s highest grossing live action superhero movie ever. Disney went from taking 5% to demanding 50%. Sucks on both sides. When Stan Lee was alive, everything was flowing perfectly.
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#16 » by RHODEY » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:53 am

K-DOT wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

unreal

that said its too bad

Why not?

They built an entire universe without him, without really any of their A-listers. Hulk was the biggest name in the OG Avengers before this all started, and he was barely in the movies relatively. Didn't use any of the X-Men or the Fantastic Four either

As long as they keep making quality movies, it won't matter. People aren't gonna stop going cause Spider-Man isn't in them

True, but Im not sure they can keep it up. Captain Marvel did well at the box office but I don't think that was quality (just momentum and great marketing) and eventually those types of Marvel flicks will peter out...just my opinion. Maybe they nail FF and Xmen but if they dont I don't see any prolonged longevity.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#17 » by NYKAL » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:49 am

RHODEY wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

Why not?

True, but Im not sure they can keep it up. Captain Marvel did well at the box office but I don't think that was quality (just momentum and great marketing) and eventually those types of Marvel flicks will peter out...just my opinion. Maybe they nail FF and Xmen but if they dont I don't see any prolonged longevity.

I agree and will rebut anyone saying Spiderman isn't the most relevant character in Marvel. There will always be Spiderman movies in the pipeline no matter who is making them.
Bob Ross
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,501

Post#18 » by Bob Ross » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:21 pm

This is a negotiating tactic, but one that shows bad blood is starting to come in.

This is 100% about money, maybe some pride. Not about producing credits. that's ridiculous.

Sony would be incredibly short sighted to end the partnership. It would be stupid given their track record.

Disney isnt the hero though. They have a history of not playing well with others when the other party wont bend the knee. For example, Disney's long standing feud with Amazon, and as of now, Disney+ wont be available on Amazon TV/fire stick despite it being the #1 streaming platform in the country

I refuse to believe there isnt a number that works for both. 50/50 probably doesnt make sense for Sony, and it probablyisnt ultimately what Disney wants. Negotiating 101 is ask for way higher than what you really want.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,154

Post#19 » by KnicksGadfly » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:07 pm

If they reboot Spiderman, I'm not watching that ****. Sony better get their act together. Their movies suck.
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,517

Post#20 » by NYKnickerbocker » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:14 pm

Disney just tryna bang em in the head tho lol. Billion dollar companies bitching over millions

Return to New York Knicks