ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Spider-Man Just Got Kicked out of the MCU

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,177

Re: OT: Spider-Man Just Got Kicked out of the MCU 

Post#21 » by Kampuchea » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:42 pm

Why the need to reach new terms instead of abiding by the existing agreement? Seems that Disney is asking for some kind of stake in the Sony productions, and will act out of spite if they don’t get the renegotiated terms.
TheBigBoss
RealGM
And1: 3,837

Post#22 » by TheBigBoss » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:28 pm

I wish those rumors of Apple buying Sony had happened. If another company buys them, the rights to Spiderman automatically get sent back to Disney. It makes so much sense for Apple to buy Sony and they are so rich that it would barely be a crumb off their table to do so.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,596

Post#23 » by Stannis » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:44 pm

Man I'm glad I'm not into these comic films anymore. It seems so exhausting lol.

Nonetheless, seems like a shame. I heard the last spider movie was pretty good.
Free Palestine
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#24 » by GEOLINK » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:49 pm

I would imagine this will all be resolved soon. The big uproar from the diehard MCU fans will be too much for Disney/Sony.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,064

Post#25 » by RHODEY » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:18 pm

NYKAL wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
K-DOT wrote:Why not?

They built an entire universe without him, without really any of their A-listers. Hulk was the biggest name in the OG Avengers before this all started, and he was barely in the movies relatively. Didn't use any of the X-Men or the Fantastic Four either

As long as they keep making quality movies, it won't matter. People aren't gonna stop going cause Spider-Man isn't in them

True, but Im not sure they can keep it up. Captain Marvel did well at the box office but I don't think that was quality (just momentum and great marketing) and eventually those types of Marvel flicks will peter out...just my opinion. Maybe they nail FF and Xmen but if they dont I don't see any prolonged longevity.

I agree and will rebut anyone saying Spiderman isn't the most relevant character in Marvel. There will always be Spiderman movies in the pipeline no matter who is making them.

Yeah, I'm the not hugest Spidey fan(although I do like him) but he was the face of Marvel for decades...and while its true the MCU was able to turn a B lister like Ironman into an A lister, there are only so many Robert Downey Jrs. out there. There are however a ton of Brie Larsons :noway:
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,437

Post#26 » by j4remi » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:38 pm

The new Spidey plotline was so intertwined with the events from Avengers and his connection to Tony Stark that I'm frustrated they'll have to redirect if this is legit. I'm hoping it's just negotiation tactics and that an agreement will be reached though. I want Carnage and Venom in the MCU.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,893

Post#27 » by DOT » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:41 pm

RHODEY wrote:
NYKAL wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
True, but Im not sure they can keep it up. Captain Marvel did well at the box office but I don't think that was quality (just momentum and great marketing) and eventually those types of Marvel flicks will peter out...just my opinion. Maybe they nail FF and Xmen but if they dont I don't see any prolonged longevity.

I agree and will rebut anyone saying Spiderman isn't the most relevant character in Marvel. There will always be Spiderman movies in the pipeline no matter who is making them.

Yeah, I'm the not hugest Spidey fan(although I do like him) but he was the face of Marvel for decades...and while its true the MCU was able to turn a B lister like Ironman into an A lister, there are only so many Robert Downey Jrs. out there. There are however a ton of Brie Larsons :noway:

You're talking like there's only ever gonna be Captain Marvel movies forever, or that there's no way they could improve on her character in the slightest

Like, look at Thor 5 years ago. You'd have said similar things about him, but now he's one of the most popular characters and one of the headliners. Hell, Thor 2 was way worse than Captain Marvel, and I don't think Thor 1 was better either.

Also, the entire cast of Guardians, Black Panther, plus there's bound to at least be a few hits in the smaller stuff they're doing in the near future, like if Sony produced a Spider-Man movie and Marvel put Shang Chi to open the same weekend, I'd probably see Shang Chi first, even though I know nothing about it. And now we have Blade with Mahershala Ali, plus however they handle the X Men and Fantastic Four

Losing Tom Holland and Spider-Man is a huge blow, but I don't get why you're acting like there's no talent whatsoever in the MCU, or why you keep harping on Brie Larsen while pretending the rest of the MCU doesn't exist
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#28 » by RHODEY » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:32 pm

K-DOT wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
NYKAL wrote:

You're talking like there's only ever gonna be Captain Marvel movies forever, or that there's no way they could improve on her character in the slightest

Like, look at Thor 5 years ago. You'd have said similar things about him, but now he's one of the most popular characters and one of the headliners. Hell, Thor 2 was way worse than Captain Marvel, and I don't think Thor 1 was better either.

Also, the entire cast of Guardians, Black Panther, plus there's bound to at least be a few hits in the smaller stuff they're doing in the near future, like if Sony produced a Spider-Man movie and Marvel put Shang Chi to open the same weekend, I'd probably see Shang Chi first, even though I know nothing about it. And now we have Blade with Mahershala Ali, plus however they handle the X Men and Fantastic Four

Losing Tom Holland and Spider-Man is a huge blow, but I don't get why you're acting like there's no talent whatsoever in the MCU, or why you keep harping on Brie Larsen while pretending the rest of the MCU doesn't exist

I dont know how a single post regarding Captain equates to "Harping" and i don't know where you are pulling the "No talent" argument from . This stuff really is not something I wanted to argue about, I just like to chop it up in a non emotianal , non confrontational manner- . So here goes....

They can improve the story line writing, as they did with Thor, but unlike Thor I think Brie Larson is meh (at best)casting.
They seem to want to push a feminist grils agenda (which is fine if thats what you're into) and shes at the lead of that.

But she aint no Wonderwoman and never will be.

Laughing off Thanos head buts and being forced into an undeserved alpha role has pissed of many hardcore fans - Casual fans don't seem to care... for now ..but I think they are just there for the ride with her, and will jump ship if they continue on the current course.

As far as the rest of the MCU - yes they exist, and there are some great characters, Panther, etc. , but I don't think the general public's appetite for superhero films is infinite. I think there will come a point were people (ie, casual fans) will burnout from the genre even if the actors and writers attempt to pump out quality.

And I could be wrong.. I hope I am - but if if I'm right - they will have had a historical run anyway.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by DOT » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:00 pm

RHODEY wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

I dont know how a single post regarding Captain equates to "Harping" and i don't know where you are pulling the "No talent" argument from . This stuff really is not something I wanted to argue about, I just like to chop it up in a non emotianal , non confrontational manner- . So here goes....

They can improve the story line writing, as they did with Thor, but unlike Thor I think Brie Larson is meh (at best)casting.
They seem to want to push a feminist grils agenda (which is fine if thats what you're into) and shes at the lead of that.

Laughing off Thanos head buts and being forced into an undeserved alpha role has pissed of many hardcore fans - Casual fans don't seem to care... for now ..but I think they are just there for the ride with her, and will jump ship if they continue on the current course.

As far as the rest of the MCU - yes they exist, and there are some great characters, Panther, etc. , but I don't think the general public's appetite for superhero films is infinite. I think there will come a point were people (ie, casual fans) will burnout from the genre even if the actors and writers attempt to pump out quality.

And I could be wrong.. I hope I am - but if if I'm right - they will have had a historical run anyway.

If you're talking about people getting burned out from super hero movies in general, that's gonna happen whether or not Marvel has Spidey

And I'm not a fan of Captain Marvel myself, but I don't see the big issue. She's barely involved for right now, and who's to say they won't get her right if she needs to be more of the focus? The MCU isn't gonna live or die by the strength of Captain Marvel, if people jump ship on her, it doesn't change much. You're talking like they're trying to make her the face of the franchise, when they're not. If I had to bet, I'd say she ends up as a supporting character in future phases, like she was in Endgame. Because she is overpowered to an undeserved level, and it's hard to write a tense climax with a character like her involved.

She's not Wonder Woman, but I really don't get why some people have such a big issue with her
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#30 » by RHODEY » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:51 pm

K-DOT wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
K-DOT wrote:You're talking like there's only ever gonna be Captain Marvel movies forever, or that there's no way they could improve on her character in the slightest

If you're talking about people getting burned out from super hero movies in general, that's gonna happen whether or not Marvel has Spidey

And I'm not a fan of Captain Marvel myself, but I don't see the big issue. She's barely involved for right now, and who's to say they won't get her right if she needs to be more of the focus? The MCU isn't gonna live or die by the strength of Captain Marvel, if people jump ship on her, it doesn't change much. [size=150]You're talking like they're trying to make her the face of the franchise, when they're not[/size]. If I had to bet, I'd say she ends up as a supporting character in future phases, like she was in Endgame. Because she is overpowered to an undeserved level, and it's hard to write a tense climax with a character like her involved.

She's not Wonder Woman, but I really don't get why some people have such a big issue with her

That's what it looks like to me..

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,682

Post#31 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:09 pm

j4remi wrote:The new Spidey plotline was so intertwined with the events from Avengers and his connection to Tony Stark that I'm frustrated they'll have to redirect if this is legit. I'm hoping it's just negotiation tactics and that an agreement will be reached though. I want Carnage and Venom in the MCU.

:nod:
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by DOT » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:21 pm

RHODEY wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

And I'm not a fan of Captain Marvel myself, but I don't see the big issue. She's barely involved for right now, and who's to say they won't get her right if she needs to be more of the focus? The MCU isn't gonna live or die by the strength of Captain Marvel, if people jump ship on her, it doesn't change much. [size=150]You're talking like they're trying to make her the face of the franchise, when they're not[/size]. If I had to bet, I'd say she ends up as a supporting character in future phases, like she was in Endgame. Because she is overpowered to an undeserved level, and it's hard to write a tense climax with a character like her involved.

If you say so man

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

RHODEY
RealGM

Post#33 » by RHODEY » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:11 am

K-DOT wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
K-DOT wrote:If you're talking about people getting burned out from super hero movies in general, that's gonna happen whether or not Marvel has Spidey

If you say so man

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

It aint personal dude just an opinion :wordyo:
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#34 » by malik959 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:33 am

Man so we'll never see him get buried alive by Kraven?
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#35 » by NYKAL » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:00 pm

RHODEY wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

they tried to pull this in the actual comic years ago and it failed miserably. I'm all for empowering women but, you don't have to sacrifice the Males and masculinity in general to do it. As far as Bri....chick emotes even worse than Keanu Reeves. She either scowles or shows nothing at all. The most unlikable character in the whole MCU.
NYKAL
General Manager

Post#36 » by NYKAL » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:04 pm

K-DOT wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
NYKAL wrote:

she was just as unlikable in King Kong. Scott Pilgrim was the best thing she's done imo
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,881

Post#37 » by GONYK » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:58 pm

NYKAL wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

she was just as unlikable in King Kong. Scott Pilgrim was the best thing she's done imo

This is extremely tangential, but she's really good in the non-blockbuster movies like Room and Short Term 12.

I don't know she's so stilted in the hero roles. I think she's trying to come off "macho" in a way and it's not translating.
NYKAL
General Manager

Post#38 » by NYKAL » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:19 pm

GONYK wrote:
NYKAL wrote:
K-DOT wrote:You're talking like there's only ever gonna be Captain Marvel movies forever, or that there's no way they could improve on her character in the slightest

This is extremely tangential, but she's really good in the non-blockbuster movies like Room and Short Term 12.

I don't know she's so stilted in the hero roles. I think she's trying to come off "macho" in a way and it's not translating.

I believe those roles came before her Dislike and Disdane for her Male cast mates started to come to light. I think she didn't feel empowered to be herself in her 1st few roles.
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#39 » by RHODEY » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:33 pm

NYKAL wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

they tried to pull this in the actual comic years ago and it failed miserably. I'm all for empowering women but, you don't have to sacrifice the Males and masculinity in general to do it. As far as Bri....chick emotes even worse than Keanu Reeves. She either scowles or shows nothing at all. The most unlikable character in the whole MCU.

Agreed, Im all for empowered female character if they are good characters overall. Love Wonder Woman and Im ok with Scarlet witch ...kinda..

But in comics Captain Marvel fans are few . If they existed in any numbers then her comics would be a smash hit and they're not. So we have Disney having to start a character from square one, which is a huge opportunity to do something fresh and exciting with her.

Instead she's shoe-horned at the last minute into a story that took a decade to complete without any preparation or interaction with the rest of the story elements. Disney wants Captain Marvel to be a success without making the investment required to make a franchise a success.
Ice Trae
RealGM
And1: 10,885

Post#40 » by Ice Trae » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:27 am

It'll probably get resolved sooner or later. This is just way too big of a hit for both Sony/Disney if they can't come to a solution.

Return to New York Knicks