ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: I have a 3 week old son...

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

ag3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,403

Re: OT: I have a 3 week old son... 

Post#61 » by ag3 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:26 pm

nyJnyKnyY wrote:And he is super colicky. While my patience is fine and I can endure any amount of fussing and crying, my wife however is FEEEEELING it. Any cheat codes or anything from experienced dads/moms?

We have gripe water, gas drops, not breastfeeding but drinking breastmilk from bottle. Similac formula. My wife doesn’t eat dairy or spicy things.

Any and all help appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughter was colicky as well. We switched to Enfamil GentLease Formula and she was instantly better. Within 1 day.
She is now 8 months old and has been colicky free since we switched at 3 months.
nyJnyKnyY
Rookie
And1: 360

Post#62 » by nyJnyKnyY » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:12 pm

AllanHoustonFan wrote:This is a great thread! First of all, congrats to you nyJnyKnyY! Love the clothes you got your son (except for the Yankee gear :lol: ) :D

My wife and I are expecting our first child (boy) October 7th so I will definitely bookmark this thread in case our boy has some gas issues too.

Congratulations!!!

nyJnyKnyY
Rookie

Post#63 » by nyJnyKnyY » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:14 pm

ag3 wrote:
nyJnyKnyY wrote:And he is super colicky. While my patience is fine and I can endure any amount of fussing and crying, my wife however is FEEEEELING it. Any cheat codes or anything from experienced dads/moms?

We have gripe water, gas drops, not breastfeeding but drinking breastmilk from bottle. Similac formula. My wife doesn’t eat dairy or spicy things.

Any and all help appreciated. Thank you!

My daughter was colicky as well. We switched to Enfamil GentLease Formula and she was instantly better. Within 1 day.
She is now 8 months old and has been colicky free since we switched at 3 months.

Beautiful thing! We’re currently strictly breastmilk as the wife doesn’t want to risk it, but we will eventually have to use formula. We have a doctors appointment next week for 1 month, we’ll find out more info then. Thank you!!!

Paija
Junior
And1: 305

Post#64 » by Paija » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:40 pm

Congratulations!
From a woman's perspective there are a couple of things. When I had my first child I was reading a lot of magazines and the end result was that I was sure I was a very bad mother. Nowadays with all these Instagrams it must be even worse. Everyone else has these beautiful and peaceful children, only me... And it is kind of expected that you will feel so happy about finally having your child. The reality - that there is no sleep, you are unsure of everything, you are afraid of doing everything wrong etc, plus the hormones - it sometimes really is too much. So even if you think she is overreacting, try to support her, especially with different chores. Tell her that she is doing much better than you expected from reading on the internet :) Some other compliments should help too, but they must be sincere.

And I especially remember that we went to the doctor and he said something about the child having "too high tonus" (do not know how to translate it to English). I was really afraid etc. Later I talked with several people and it turned out that the majority of infants have it. It helps to know that even if it IS a problem, that it is a very COMMON problem.

And with the second child you just know - "Oh it is this thing they usually have about this age" and are much more relaxed yourselves and it makes a child less nervous too.
St Knick
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#65 » by St Knick » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:58 pm

If you love your son, don't raise him a Knicks fan.

You're welcome.

P.S. Good luck homey
KNICKS FAN FOR LIFE
nyJnyKnyY
Rookie

Post#66 » by nyJnyKnyY » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:01 pm

Paija wrote:Congratulations!
From a woman's perspective there are a couple of things. When I had my first child I was reading a lot of magazines and the end result was that I was sure I was a very bad mother. Nowadays with all these Instagrams it must be even worse. Everyone else has these beautiful and peaceful children, only me... And it is kind of expected that you will feel so happy about finally having your child. The reality - that there is no sleep, you are unsure of everything, you are afraid of doing everything wrong etc, plus the hormones - it sometimes really is too much. So even if you think she is overreacting, try to support her, especially with different chores. Tell her that she is doing much better than you expected from reading on the internet :) Some other compliments should help too, but they must be sincere.

And I especially remember that we went to the doctor and he said something about the child having "too high tonus" (do not know how to translate it to English). I was really afraid etc. Later I talked with several people and it turned out that the majority of infants have it. It helps to know that even if it IS a problem, that it is a very COMMON problem.

And with the second child you just know - "Oh it is this thing they usually have about this age" and are much more relaxed yourselves and it makes a child less nervous too.

OMG! That’s my wife. “They never say they had a hard time. They only post the good stuff. I wanna feel like they feel”. You completely summed up my wife’s feelings in one post. I’m screenshotting it and sending it to her so she knows she’s not alone (I hope you don’t mind). I compliment her hourly on her mothering skills, her wife skills, and how beautiful I believe she looks. She’s my everything (yes, even more than my son) and I know I can’t do this without her (meaning, having her fully there both physically and mentally). She’s my best friend so having her feel sane and complete is half the battle.

Thank you so much for the insight!

nyJnyKnyY
Rookie

Post#67 » by nyJnyKnyY » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:02 pm

St Knick wrote:If you love your son, don't raise him a Knicks fan.

You're welcome.

P.S. Good luck homey

Hahahha too late

nyJnyKnyY
Rookie

Post#68 » by nyJnyKnyY » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:14 pm

My wife says she loves you lol. It made her feel soo much better knowing there are others that feel as she does (I told her they are out there lol but to hear it first hand made her feel so much better)

Paija
Junior
And1: 305

Post#69 » by Paija » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:44 pm

nyJnyKnyY wrote:

My wife says she loves you lol. It made her feel soo much better knowing there are others that feel as she does (I told her they are out there lol but to hear it first hand made her feel so much better)

The thing is - some people have it easy and some pretend to have it easy so those (who actually are a majority, especially with the first child) feel that there must be something very wrong with them. I would suggest for her to find someone who has the child about the same age to talk to and preferably someone who is otherwise a stranger (or was before). Then she can vent about the child and how she feels and the other person will say - it is EXACTLY how I feel too and both will feel much better.
nyJnyKnyY
Rookie

Post#70 » by nyJnyKnyY » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:03 pm

Paija wrote:
nyJnyKnyY wrote:

The thing is - some people have it easy and some pretend to have it easy so those (who actually are a majority, especially with the first child) feel that there must be something very wrong with them. I would suggest for her to find someone who has the child about the same age to talk to and preferably someone who is otherwise a stranger (or was before). Then she can vent about the child and how she feels and the other person will say - it is EXACTLY how I feel too and both will feel much better.

Yup, that’s what I said! Fortunately, 3 couples friends of ours gave birth 1-2 weeks after us. Another couple 2 months before us. The couple who is at 3 months, had a pretty calm baby for the first month so not a great help and the other 3 haven’t hit their 2 week mark yet. We have group chats with all of them labeled child’s name support group lol. Thank you though so much! Made her feel better!

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,148

Post#71 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:02 pm

Handledatruth
Head Coach
And1: 1,719

Post#72 » by Handledatruth » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:49 pm

My son is about to hit nine months, but in his first few weeks he would grunt excessively. It was very different from my oldest who did not do this as a baby. Both were given breast milk via the bottle and both were c-section delivered (which can factor into some digestive issues at times). Anyway, I bought this stuff in the link below and it was great. It’s not instant like the gas drops but over a period of a week we heard less grunting/discomfort and have not dealt with it since. We stopped using the drops a month later and he’s all good now. Not saying it would absolutely work for you, but give it a shot. It’s got good reviews from parents who dealt with colic.

https://www.amazon.com/GERBER-SOOTHE-COLIC-DROPS-OUNCE/dp/B00XHMA5Z8
nyJnyKnyY
Rookie

Post#73 » by nyJnyKnyY » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:53 pm

Handledatruth wrote:My son is about to hit nine months, but in his first few weeks he would grunt excessively. It was very different from my oldest who did not do this as a baby. Both were given breast milk via the bottle and both were c-section delivered (which can factor into some digestive issues at times). Anyway, I bought this stuff in the link below and it was great. It’s not instant like the gas drops but over a period of a week we heard less grunting/discomfort and have not dealt with it since. We stopped using the drops a month later and he’s all good now. Not saying it would absolutely work for you, but give it a shot. It’s got good reviews from parents who dealt with colic.

Thank you so much! We have gripe water and stuff. Gonna see if we can add this to that cocktail of breastmilk and gripe water and if possible, it’ll be on the way!

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,148

Post#74 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:01 am

nyJnyKnyY wrote:
Handledatruth wrote:My son is about to hit nine months, but in his first few weeks he would grunt excessively. It was very different from my oldest who did not do this as a baby. Both were given breast milk via the bottle and both were c-section delivered (which can factor into some digestive issues at times). Anyway, I bought this stuff in the link below and it was great. It’s not instant like the gas drops but over a period of a week we heard less grunting/discomfort and have not dealt with it since. We stopped using the drops a month later and he’s all good now. Not saying it would absolutely work for you, but give it a shot. It’s got good reviews from parents who dealt with colic.

Thank you so much! We have gripe water and stuff. Gonna see if we can add this to that cocktail of breastmilk and gripe water and if possible, it’ll be on the way!

Gripe water worked for us, to the extent there was an issue. I'm not sure if we put any rum on his gums later, per the usual west indian instructions we received for various things.
nyJnyKnyY
Rookie

Post#75 » by nyJnyKnyY » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:06 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
nyJnyKnyY wrote:

Gripe water worked for us, to the extent there was an issue. I'm not sure if we put any rum on his gums later, per the usual west indian instructions we received for various things.

Got it! Thank you so much!

BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,261
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#76 » by BKlutch » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:12 pm

Amazing that this has become one of our best threads. Much better than some of the stuff we had in previous summers!

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

nyJnyKnyY
Rookie

Post#77 » by nyJnyKnyY » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:40 pm

BKlutch wrote:Amazing that this has become one of our best threads. Much better than some of the stuff we had in previous summers!

Well, we have a great community here and who doesn’t love to talk and see babies and kids lol

F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Post#78 » by F N 11 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:30 am

Oh you about to love me! My son took this Bc gripe water did not work. But this ish right here saved the day. It’s expensive but trust.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gerber%20soothe%20drops&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-m
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
nyJnyKnyY
Rookie

Post#79 » by nyJnyKnyY » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:01 am

F N 11 wrote:Oh you about to love me! My son took this Bc gripe water did not work. But this ish right here saved the day. It’s expensive but trust.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gerber%20soothe%20drops&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-m

Got that. Tried it yesterday and he had a rough one but we don’t attribute it to that. We have a doctors appointment on Tuesday (1 month check up) and we’ll see which one he thinks will work. We have gripe, the probiotic from gerber, has drops, some baby soothing tea, all with breastmilk (not mixed together and with the appropriate dosages when we’re using them), but we need guidance from his doctor on which is best.

But I truly appreciate the info though, thank you! You and everyone here have been awesome and it makes me love this forum (for the most part, some threads are wild) and the people here. I’m on here daily and it’s an escape for when there is anything jets related, now my son related!

How long did your child have colic for? Trying to get a bunch of different peoples timing to HOPEFULLY see if we can gauge how long ours could be. Any info is appreciated.

F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Post#80 » by F N 11 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:36 pm

nyJnyKnyY wrote:
F N 11 wrote:Oh you about to love me! My son took this Bc gripe water did not work. But this ish right here saved the day. It’s expensive but trust.

Got that. Tried it yesterday and he had a rough one but we don’t attribute it to that. We have a doctors appointment on Tuesday (1 month check up) and we’ll see which one he thinks will work. We have gripe, the probiotic from gerber, has drops, some baby soothing tea, all with breastmilk (not mixed together and with the appropriate dosages when we’re using them), but we need guidance from his doctor on which is best.

But I truly appreciate the info though, thank you! You and everyone here have been awesome and it makes me love this forum (for the most part, some threads are wild) and the people here. I’m on here daily and it’s an escape for when there is anything jets related, now my son related!

How long did your child have colic for? Trying to get a bunch of different peoples timing to HOPEFULLY see if we can gauge how long ours could be. Any info is appreciated.

Son did not have it much after I tried the gerber soothe. Not to fear man. I feel like it’s your first child Bc of how protective you are. My son is 4 and I’m still protective. But they tell us to relax but we are the way we are because of them being our first. He will be fine I promise: he’s just young and gaining strength.

Can’t beat realgm. When camp start we back.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.

Return to New York Knicks